The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In need of a low-fi Crap mic...... Condenser Microphones
Old 19th January 2010
Gear maniac

In need of a low-fi Crap mic......

I'm looking for a sound like the Placid Audio Copperphone. I refuse to believe you can only get this sound by buying their $250 microphone. It's cool, I will admit. But, I have heard of guys using really crappy speakers for this effect. I never have done this and I just want to know some opinions on this. Thanks
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
try an earphone plugged into an amp heh
That's what I'd do.thumbsup
Old 19th January 2010
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
try an earphone plugged into an amp heh
Make sure it is clumped with old ear wax.
Old 19th January 2010
Gear addict

1) Pawnshop
2) Shure green bullet
3) ebay / yard sale
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

4) Thrift Store
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

telephone, solder a 1/4inch jack into the microphone of the phone.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

crystal mics from CB radios are pretty common and crappy. I'm sure you could find one for $10 or less if you look. I've seen NOS ones for $1.
Old 19th January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
telephone, solder a 1/4inch jack into the microphone of the phone.
I have found that the earpiece of an old black Ma Bell telephone actually makes a better mic than the mic end. The really old ones have screw terminals so you don't even have to solder. Plug the 1/4" into a direct box.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

I've achieved a similar sound just by cutting all the high and low frequencies using the channel eq in logic.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

The Copperphone actually sounds pretty darn cool!
If you look at the Frequency Response: 200Hz - 3kHz, thats a big key.
Theres also some resonance that you would have to achive.
I've never herd of the mic, but from the samples, I give it a big for what it does.

To emulate it, I would try the 200hz - 3Khz bell curve.
Then add a touch of distortion.
Not sure how you would get the resonance effect.

I've used this effect with good results.
otiumFX :: Sonitex STX-1260 VST

Sonitex. Its cool, but kind of a cpu hog.

iZotope also has a free plugin Vinyl.
iZotope Vinyl - Authentic Lo-Fi Vinyl Simulation for Pro Tools, VST, MAS, Audio Unit, and DirectX audio applications
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

record with the built in mic on your laptop, if you have one.

DW
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Wow,

I think Coppertone sounds great! I think you could achieve that kind of the sound using eq and some 'micro' impulse responses like these:

Unnatural Spaces | Controlled Dissonance
Old 19th January 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthLine09 View Post
I've achieved a similar sound just by cutting all the high and low frequencies using the channel eq in logic.
Yup, I'd rather buy an EQ and use it for lo-fi and other general betterment of sounds...!

War
Old 19th January 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Yup, I'd rather buy an EQ and use it for lo-fi and other general betterment of sounds...!

War
I agree! That's why I think there is a cheap solution to this. I think I might try the Ma Bell telephone thing. Call me old fashion but I want to try to get this effect OTB.

BTW I'm only 29 haha
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

If you have a console with built in talkback, use that mic (free).
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

A bullhorn/megaphone at low volume might do the trick.
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

I've taped drum trigger pads to the front of guitar amps and had some pretty sick results....

DW
Old 20th January 2010
Gear maniac

you know what else works? those little mics with 1/4 inch connectors that came with old reel to reel's. i have an old akai tube reel to reel that came with some really cool little boxy mics. the akai even had 1/4 inch preamp outs. something like that could be really cool.
Old 20th January 2010
Gear addict

buy the copperphone. i love that thing.
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

My buddy is a merchang mariner and when he was out on his last ship he managed to snag me a really old "self powered" phone microphone/capsule. I cut an cheap TS 1/4" cable in half and wrapped the two wires around the two contact points on the phone capsule... taped it all up with electrical tape. It sounds really great for some cool semi-lofi stuff.

The thing is... I get a buzzing when using it. If I touch the metal enclosure of whatever preamp I'm using it with the buzzing goes away so I'm guessing it's being grounded out through me. Is that to be expeted with something like this? I would have thought the wire going to the "sleeve" of the TS connector would ground it out. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the buzzing without having to always touch the mic pre.
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

radioshack!
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

if you have a small crappy bass amp, try that. We used to use that with a 57 and it sounds like sh...."low-fi"
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

That phone trick seems like a good idea, I'd like to five it a try if I can find an old phone I don't use anymore.
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmasjones View Post
if you have a small crappy bass amp, try that. We used to use that with a 57 and it sounds like sh...."low-fi"
a Pignose will get you there too
Old 21st January 2010
Gear addict

i'm telling you man, THE COPPERPHONE. its made to sound lo fi. it picks up a very limited bandwidth and is housed in crappy sounding copper. i think copper? thatd make sense right?
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Has anyone tired the Copperphone...? Is there anyone here that thinks that is the way to go? I'm looking for that lo-fi sound.
Old 21st January 2010
Gear addict

listen to their sound samples lol. google it
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

This $29.95 SM-58 copy and this free mod.

You'll be able to tune, hack or bend this mic to your hearts content to get any number of whack sounds.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Beyer M60.

I recently got one, it looks cool and has a LoFi but very useable sound, kinda the mic equivalent of an Auratone speaker if that makes sense?

I still plan to get a Copperphone at some point though, from the samples on their site I actually prefered the sound of their 'Harmonica Mini' mic.
Attached Thumbnails
In need of a low-fi Crap mic......-foto.jpg  
Old 21st January 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Beyer M60.

I recently got one, it looks cool and has a LoFi but very useable sound, kinda the mic equivalent of an Auratone speaker if that makes sense?

I still plan to get a Copperphone at some point though, from the samples on their site I actually prefered the sound of their 'Harmonica Mini' mic.
ya it really depends on the use though. if you need those extra frequencies then ya. but the even MORE lo fi and rough sound. well you know which one

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search