The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone used Nakamichi CM300?
Old 18th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Anyone used Nakamichi CM300?

I have an old Nakamichi CM300 with a cardiod and a shotgun capsule. Looks to be in great nick, but it requires a no longer produced battery - 9.1v AA shaped thing, that I can't find here in NZ. Anyone used one? do you think it's worth importing the batteries from UK at about $60 a throw? to get it going.. if it works.
Old 18th January 2010
Lives for gear

hey jozzafunk,

I used to have a pair with multiple capsules that i really enjoyed. i loved them on overheads because they always seemed so smooth yet detailed.
......but, yes those batteries....................which led to me selling them because I hated dealing with them. (I was never very good at remembering to turn them off.)

I found the batteries at a place called BatteriesPlus which are all over here, but probably not there.

I do remember being able to rig something up that invovled taping together several watch batteries that added up the appropriate voltage and just happened to be about the same size as the normal battery when stacked together. Sorry I don't remember any specifics anymore, but it worked great and didn't affect the mic.

Best of luck! Those are great mics.

Old 19th February 2010
Here for the gear

I have several of these, and there are other options available in the US. I have Everedy model E-126 in mine, and they work fine. I think Mallory make a model T-126 or something like that as well. The old battery had mercury in it, which I guess has been done away with. The newer batteries are thicker, and are a tight fit, so you dont need the rubber end gasket thiungs. I think they run about $10 or $15 (US). Its been a while since I bought any, but IO bet you can mail order some. I love the Nak Mic, they are very versitile. I have 4 of the mics with the cardiod and omni capsules, and a pair of the shotgun heads.

Sorry, I also see that people believe the Everedy 206 is a fit for this. Have not tried it, but might be a newer version and its also about $15 US.

Ken
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Looking for a set of 3 of these mics.
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

They are nice mics!
I used to use a set back in the 80's for micing grand piano or for overheads.
Very crisp, clean sound and a real sleeper at the time.

I sold them to a friend of mine who still uses them.
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

I've had two different sets of three, and some singles too. Great mic, sounds ike a 451 with a bit more noise. First pair I had I sold to a guy who found them the best mic for Tibetan Bells as they would not break up on the clangs.

They are a bit quieter with 22.5 volts, such as Eveready 505. The 206 and the 505 can be gotten from amazon for US$6.39 each.

Wonder what they sell for now?

OMG! There's one on ebay now for $300.

L
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

As info, the Teac - ME120 is the same thing. There was also an ME80 (cardioid capsule only).
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Maniac

A set of three went for $200 last week. That one for $300 has been up there a long time now. I think it's very over-priced. I'm looking for a set to go with my Nakamichi 550 tape recorder.
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickcrisp View Post
A set of three went for $200 last week. That one for $300 has been up there a long time now. I think it's very over-priced. I'm looking for a set to go with my Nakamichi 550 tape recorder.
Whoa! Now THAT is a blast form the past.

I still have a 550 that I purchased new. Unfortunately, batteries were left in it for some time at one point. Not sure how to approach cleaning it up.
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

I believe they were $99 each in 1975 - best affordable mic at the time for me.

The 550 battery compartment is separate from the vital insides, I think. It might be worth cleaning up - try alcohol and Q tips first. Depends on how much acid leaked out.

Takes 8 D cells, right? With batteries on a shoulder strap it was as heavy as a Nagra IV-S!

A few years ago I had a sesion transferring an audiophool's original cassettes and he brought his 550 in as it was the deck that recorded them. Sounded pretty good for cassette!
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Ha ha thats so cool. It's my favorite recorder ever. I guess people think I'm nuts still recording to cassette tape.

How bad is the battery leakage? I brought an old electret back to life a while ago with just some vinegar and cotton buds. In this case the damage wasn't really really bad.
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Yes, tapes that were recorded on that machine definitely sound better played back on it too.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Maniac

Found a set!
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Found a set!
Where and how much? I thought about ofdering mine sonce I so rarely use them, but feel too attached to them... I'm curious how much they went for is all.

L
Old 6th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi Lou. I paid $300 for a set of three in original box. I think that was an ok price to pay. What do you think?
Old 6th June 2011
Lives for gear

Outstanding! They were $99 each new, don't recall what the set of three cost in 1975. Good deal you got for a rare item. Well, sorta rare...
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Whoa! Now THAT is a blast form the past.

I still have a 550 that I purchased new. Unfortunately, batteries were left in it for some time at one point. Not sure how to approach cleaning it up.
Did you ever clean your 550 up?

Now I'm looking for Nak CM-1000 and DM-1000 mics.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you ever clean your 550 up?

Now I'm looking for Nak CM-1000 and DM-1000 mics.
No, just havn't gotten around to it since I don't have a need for it right now. FWIW I believe a couple of the Tascam mics (ME80/120) were rebadged Nak's, but not sure which Nak models they were.
Old 4th February 2017
Here for the gear

Nakimichi cm-300 batteries contact [email protected]. batteries + gear. Losaiko1234. Good luck.
Old 4th February 2017
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51744.0

I did a thread about converting these to P48, so you can forget about the batteries.
Sorry, but the sound clips mentioned in the thread are no longer available.
Old 5th February 2017
I really dig my Nakamichi CM-300's as stereo drum overheads, with a third one used as an omni room mic. I'd love to do the phantom power mod to them someday, but lately have just been getting cheap 2CR1/3N batteries off ebay and taping two together with electrical tape.
Old 11th April 2017
Gear Head

Since this is a relatively recent thread - Wondering if anyone knows more about these as just acquired some when my work were scrapping a load of old gear - there was a bunch of mics I saved from the bin - couple of old Calrec condenser sets, an Audio Technica shotgun mic but also this pair of Nakamichis - the base mics appear to be both CM-300s - one is battery powered, 3-pin XLR and has a boxed shotgun capsule, as well as the "dynamic style" pop shield, an omni capsule and a cardioid one.

The second one is a bit odd - seems identical but when I dismantled it there was a wire running through the battery compartment which was soldered to the back of the cartridge (which snapped off when I unscrewed it, but easy enough to solder back on). It also has a 5-pin connector on the bottom. Is this the phantom power mod? If so does anyone know how to wire this up to a 3-pin XLR connection? Does look like 5-to-3pin converters are a thing (and thankfully cheap too), just a bit wary about whether it's a good idea to run 48v phantom into this thing to test it..
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Time to get my set of 3 out again!

I use 22.5 V batteries - higher voltage = lower noise, up to a point. I used to use the old Everyeady 505 lead acid ones, but they lasted only a few hours. I just found these alkaline ones https://www.amazon.com/Exell-Alkalin.../dp/B008FPCWTO that look worth a try.

No idea abotu that modded one, but if you want to get rid of the shotgun capsule, I might trade one of muy omnis... :-)
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Head

Hmm, well I'm tempted to just sell the lot since the battery issues sound like a bit of a pain and I'm saving up for some Aston mics. The shotgun one was running off a simple AA 1.5v battery but didn't really check sound quality yet - I'm assuming it's not as good as with the bespoke batteries.

Oh yeah I already have 2 omnis - both come with an omni cartridge, but I have a single cardioid, the shotgun cartridge and the basket attachment. Oh and a couple of clips.
Old 2nd August 2017
Here for the gear

Another battery option for powering the CM-300 is two 6-volt 4LR44 "dog collar" batteries secured end to end. You can find these all over Amazon and eBay; they're pretty cheap. I haven't tried 22.5-volt batteries like loujudson but Stephen Sank, an expert on modifying and repairing Nakamichi microphones, has confirmed that these mics can safely handle at least around 13.5 - 14 volts. The 12v of two 4LR44s is fine and I've been running them in my CM-300s without any issues.

As an added tip, pick up some clear vinyl tubing [5/8" O.D. x 1/2" I.D.] at Home Depot or another hardware/pool-marine supply store, cut it down to 1-1/4 inch lengths and it will make nice, reusable sleeves to connect the two 4LR44 batteries together.
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear
I picked up a DM-1000 for $500 and felt lucky to get it. very rare.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Nut
I was looking at Primo mic capsules and reading that their EM23 capsule is what is used on the CM-300. So there are omni capsules still available for these and also a little diagram of the FET circuit on the back (supposed to need 6 - 10v). So could one use T-power on these direcly? Or a 48v phantom to 12v T-power convertor?

I've picked up a couple of sets over the years. Paid about £150 each set (so roughly in that $200 - $300 range depending on what the pound/dollar was doing at the time).

I've been using both the watch battery and the 4LR44 batteries with mine, using shrinkwrap tubing.

EDIT: OK, the EM23 isn't on Primo's product list but are for sale from this UK company : Primo Microphone Capsules - micbooster.com
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

OK, I'll revive this thread again to ask - How do these mic rate compared to what is available today seeing these sell for about $100 used?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I don't really have much to compare to - so can't really answer that I'm afraid. Plus I've not sorted out new batteries or alternative in a while.. they have been boxed up for a bit until I do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search