The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is it common practice to return a clients mixed session file?
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Maniac

is it common practice to return a clients mixed session file?

I was thinking about this the other day when I had someone ask if they would be able to get the protools session back once it is mixed. I know a lot of us have secrets that we don't wish sharing with everyone. So what is the ethical thing to do in that situation?
Old 14th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharemedy View Post
I was thinking about this the other day when I had someone ask if they would be able to get the protools session back once it is mixed. I know a lot of us have secrets that we don't wish sharing with everyone. So what is the ethical thing to do in that situation?
In the high end client (ie record labels) world, yes it is.

Fairly useless to anyone else, unless they have your entire plugin collection (if mixing ITB) and even more useless if you mix on a console (assuming you have a console with recall, most studios archive their recall notes themselves).

I personally don't mind sharing any "secrets" I might have - if someone takes a technique they see me using and use it themselves, I'd be flattered. God knows I've been shown and picked up on enough techniques from other engineers over the years!
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear
get it "back"?

yes!

you "get back" exactly the file you sent me to mix.

plus, of course, a stereo mix.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharemedy View Post
Doesn't happen often at all. Not that I'm extremely active as a mixer, but in my experience it is more common for people to ask for the rendered tracks (the tracks with my modifications on them) - if they ask for anything at all.

If, as in your case, the tracks were sent to you, that means the requester has access to the raw files, so that's not likely what he is asking for. And most of the time you will be using settings and plug-ins etc that the requesting party doesn't have, and in those cases it is more or less pointless to send the workfile. You could however burn the modifications into the raw tracks and send the sessionfile over that way. (just don't overwrite the originals)

I'm on steinberg and for steinberg there just is no way of sending a project file over to another party that will actually work well.

But I do suggest to people that they backup and store the workfile after the work is completed, so they can come back to it if any changes are requested, or if a tour is about to happen and they need original backing tracks etc.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

I always give my clients DVD archives of the session files after a mix. Like others have mentioned, those files are practically useless unless the next user has all of the same plug-ins I used. I also second the notion that any "tricks" I used don't need to be kept a secret. In the hands of someone else, those tricks may not work.

I give them to the client because it is their responsibility to keep an archive, not mine. If they come back to me a year or two later and want revisions, etc, I don't want to be responsible for having the only archive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search