The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Biggest Subwoofer in the world? (Mythbusters excluded) Studio Monitors
Old 12th January 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
EV recommended rotating the driver 180º every year due to cone sagging (ie, the voice-coil coming out of alignment).

Here's a picture of one next to a 'pathetic little' 12" cab.
Wow, every year?!?! Then there really is no point other than for show, if the voice coil can move. And what a monster it really is.
Old 12th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er View Post
Yes my photoshop is crude and sucks but it does the trick. Roughly 6 and a half CD cases which are 4 7/8 inches tall.

I say try it with the electrical plug plate.

heh

EDIT: No... I'll admit... my measurements here were off... I took a quick measure of one plug plate in my flat but when I did a proper measure of a different, wider one, in a more accesible place, I got 2.7 inches from edge-of-flange to edge-of-flange. And that would put us pretty well in the ball park for a 30" driver.

As Emily Litella would say, Never mind. heh
Old 12th January 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I say try it with the electrical plug plate. And no one has quite explained the apparent dimensions of the plug plate
All right all right. A standard single cover plate is 2.75 inches in the US. Ok?

Switch plate measurements

many references available.
Old 12th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by matic27 View Post
All right all right. A standard single cover plate is 2.75 inches in the US. Ok?

Switch plate measurements

many references available.
Yeah... I just remeasured and edited my immediately previous post to reflect that. Not quickly enough, though, obviously.

You are right. I was wrong. Mea culpa.

It just goes to reinforce the common sense proposition: don't believe some blowhard on the internet, just because he sounds like he believes what he's saying... heh
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Precision Devices still makes a 24 inch woofer!
Old 12th January 2011
MRZ
Here for the gear

I have a bass-box that I designed and built around a 30W, bass-reflex, of course around 25-years ago. It is an eye-sore, is a monster, and weighs a ton, but it produces "great vibrations".

I love it because it vibrates my internal organs. My wife hates it because it vibrates her internal organs. I finally did something right, and in this case fantastically right! This system has balls.

The pictures of the EV 30W are identical to the basket in my bass-box. The power ratings of the speaker are 60-W RMS (heat) and 150-W pulsed. Its sensitivity is rated at 102-dB @ 1W 1M. Calculation places the pulsed output at 124-dB SPL @ 150W.

Note that there is another competitor. Fostex, the American Subdivision of Foster Electric, Tokyo, a pro-audio manufacturer, makes a FW800N. It is an 800-mm / 31.5 inch low frequency driver. The FW800N is rated at 150-W RMS and 450-W pulsed with sensitivity 96-dB SPL @ 1W 1M. Calculation places the output at 123-dB SPL @ 450W.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Addict

The 30" EV woofer was used for their Partrician series of loudspeakers as noted here before.

EV apparently licensed Klipschorn designs back in the 50s and 60's. Kilpschorn used EV components in their earlier speakers.

The early Partricians were as much furniture as they were sound reproducers.
They were very efficient so 20 watts of hi-fi tube amp power could really make them sing.

Overkill for mono reproduction, I can only imagine how large a room you'd need for a pair!

The other big speaker of the day was the JBL Paragon system!
Attached Thumbnails
Biggest Subwoofer in the world? (Mythbusters excluded)-evp800f.jpg   Biggest Subwoofer in the world? (Mythbusters excluded)-evp800b.jpg   Biggest Subwoofer in the world? (Mythbusters excluded)-paragon.jpg  
Old 12th January 2011
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Guru

A friend had dual 32" subs in his truck. He had a test CD that started at something like 4Hz and you would just see the things moving and feel the air. It was pretty crazy. He's a hardcore mobile audio guy.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRZ View Post
IFostex, the American Subdivision of Foster Electric, Tokyo, a pro-audio manufactures, makes a FW800N. It is an 800-mm / 31.5 inch low frequency driver. The FW800N is rated at 150-W RMS and 450-W pulsed with sensitivity 96-dB SPL @ 1W 1M. Calculation places the output at 123-dB SPL.
Puk Studios in Denmark has (4) of those as part of the proprietary monitor system in their Calrec room:
Old 13th January 2011
MRZ
Here for the gear

Beautiful design. Four drivers are necessary for eye candy; however, not for acoustic performance. Ignoring reflections, there are two direct-radiating acoustic systems generating standing waves in the room. Standing waves create nodes and crests as one walks around the room. Turn one pair off and keep as a spare. Run only on the other pair. Now you can move around the room without having bass dropouts!
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear
The brown note Subwoofer

**** Sound Cannon
The Idea:

Remember hearing the song “This is Why I’m Hot” for the first time, and thinking “Wow this song is so terrible, I wish I could blast it from two giant parabolic satellite dishes to create a lethal pulsating wave of sound” Well my friend, you and the **** scientists have a lot in common. Imagine “This is Why I’m Hot” but 1000 times louder, and at frequencies so intense, it can trigger your sphincter from 70 yards away.

Prepare to have your sphincter triggered.
The so called “Sound Cannon” had firing tubes ending in parabolic reflectors. Methane and oxygen were mixed in a combustion chamber, setting of a series of chain reactions in the firing tubes. Each explosion created a shockwave that was transmitted into a high intensity sound wave by the reflectors. This sound wave created pressures that could kill a man up to 70 yards away in 30 seconds*****, and seriously injure anyone within several hundred yards.

Why it failed:
Trying to kill someone with the sound of an explosion, rather than the explosion itself makes about as much sense as eating the wrapper of your McDonald’s cheeseburger for lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Biggest Subwoofer in the world? (Mythbusters excluded)-triggersphincters.jpg  
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear
Here is our 24" Fane Collosus in the background. Originally, these were built for Pink Floyd's Wall concerts and put into a Turbosound pressure cab. They were really too long-throw for practical use, so I dumped the cab and built an ordinary bass reflex cab and it really works well now.

Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

"World's Largest Subwoofer" and was designed for the military who would presumably use it as some sort of weapon.

Skip to 8:30mins where a man stands inside the box!heh after all that work, the man didn't die.

The army could have saved alot of money by just building a lighting machine based on building up static charge via friction (tesla coil). The side effect would be two fold, a burst of electric charge that is deadly, followed by massive sound waves (from air displacing) which can be quite deafening.

Something like this....

notice @ 1:04 mins how he's wearing ear protection.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
. EV recommended rotating the driver 180º every year due to cone sagging.
There's a pill for that...
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
... where one is trying to measure the prong holes things start getting awful fuzzy...

That's what she said! heh
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRZ View Post
Beautiful design. Four drivers are necessary for eye candy; however, not for acoustic performance. Ignoring reflections, there are two direct-radiating acoustic systems generating standing waves in the room. Standing waves create nodes and crests as one walks around the room. Turn one pair off and keep as a spare. Run only on the other pair. Now you can move around the room without having bass dropouts!
Um...incorrect.

First of all, regardless of how many drivers are operating, there will be standing waves; modal peaks & dips are artifacts of an enclosed space (i.e., the room), not the number of woofers in that space. While it is sometimes easier to predict and correct the standing waves induced by a single subwoofer, it is just as likely that you can "fill in" the room-induced response dips by adding a second driver at an alternate location.

But, more germane to the monitors at Puk Studios: Look at how closely spaced the (2) 30" drivers are relative to their surface area. At any frequency that those drivers are going to be asked to reproduce, they're essentially functioning as a single unit. They're too close together for any irregular lobing to result.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

There's a bar in Chicago where in the dance room the subwoofer has been built into the floor. I don't know how big it is. But I've been there a couple times and the THUMP is HUGE -- you can feel it in your heart

I'm not a "clubber" but I assumed this was comon practice anymore -- ???

I always had an idea for inventing a huge sub for large venue and outdoor concerts that would basically amplify teh bass freq's thru the ground. Might have a deleterious effect on the buildings' structures however
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear
Amplifying bass thru the ground, wasn't that Douglas's "Disaster Area" problem (the band was restricted from playing many planets since the results of their concerts were usually destruction of the local environment from SPLs?

I have a friend who built a subwoofer for his living room by boxing in his floor joists (with an intermediate angled panel) resulting in a folded horn roughly 25' long. I think he's using a 15" EV driver (SPL of 102 dB, 1w 1m IIRC for a max SPL of something like 130 dB).

I have another friend who used to build speaker cones for JBL, Emminence and EV among others. They worked with 30" drivers but they weren't very successful because it's hard to control the movement and nodes of that much material. They found it was much more effective to use a number of 15" or 18" drivers acoustically coupled, if you needed to move air in that volume...
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

For many years (and possibly still) the Turbosound subs were the largest available. They were between 20 and 30 inches (can't remember). This is what pink floyd used on many tours.
Old 14th January 2011
But.... why?????????

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search