The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Altiverb anyone?
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

Altiverb anyone?

Hi;

Who out there has worked with Altiverb? How dose it compare with other plug-ins, hardware?

Thanks!

M-O-M.
Old 24th May 2003
There is only one

i like it.
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

sounds good. eats cpu like an overdriven pacman, so I usually have to bake it to another track.
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

Have any of you guys ever used Altiverb to sample other processors, Eventide, Lexicon, etc? Ever sampled your own spaces? If so how did it work out?
Old 25th May 2003
Gear Addict

Sampling gear works out well. Just keep in mind that you are sampling a piece of gear at a fixed setting. Once the impulse is in Altiverb, the ability to tweak it is much more limited. Not that it is a bad practice. Just make several different impulses.
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

You can abuse Altiverb, when you feed different noises in, e.g. synth patches to get something like a tonal reverb. You have to fool a lil bit around, to get good results, but it works.
and I made a very good impulse response out of a metal door, that I recorded on one of my journeys in Namibia in a huge, completely tiled former kitchen.

Altiverb sounds really good, compared to other reverb plugins and catches excellently the character of the rooms and the units, but misses some 3dimensionality. and the performance really sucks. I can't open more than one plugin at the time, otherwise my Mac 733 crashes immediateley
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kosi
You can abuse Altiverb, when you feed different noises in, e.g. synth patches to get something like a tonal reverb. You have to fool a lil bit around, to get good results, but it works.
and I made a very good impulse response out of a metal door, that I recorded on one of my journeys in Namibia in a huge, completely tiled former kitchen.

Altiverb sounds really good, compared to other reverb plugins and catches excellently the character of the rooms and the units, but misses some 3dimensionality. and the performance really sucks. I can't open more than one plugin at the time, otherwise my Mac 733 crashes immediateley
Right now, I mainly work in Logic. With the freeze function, and a Audio Unit version of Altiverb on the way, the performance issue soon won't be such a big deal. DP also has a freeze function, but it's not as cool to work with (IMHO) as it is in Logic. A friend of mind tells me that ProTools will also soon have a freeze function for HTDM, but that's what he says.

M-O-M.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

Here's a site for altiverb impulses:

http://altiverb.daw-mac.com/index.html

There's IRs there which aren't at the audioease site.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Here's a site for altiverb impulses:

http://altiverb.daw-mac.com/index.html

There's IRs there which aren't at the audioease site.
Cool site! Thanks for the info.

M-O-M.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Addict

I love Altiverb - but I'm waiting for the ProTools 6 / OS X compatibility!
Old 27th May 2003
I can have 2 Altiverbs running at the same time... on my Dual 533 w/ 512 RAM...
Is Altiver DP enabled? Or does the IR have influence on the CPU hunger?
Old 27th May 2003
There is only one

the length of the IR plays a role in how much CPU altiverb uses... i used to have some figures but i dont feel like digging them out of my email now. maybe il post them later.

i can get 2x altiverbs [like carlos plate, and a room] with a renverb, a host of plugins on 30+ tracks before i max out my dualGHZ
Old 27th May 2003
What kind of system are you using alphajerk??? Are you TMDing or LEing?
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Addict

He's DPing. Not sure if it's v3ing or v4ing. Which is it, Alpha?
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

If he's Altiverbing, then he's OS9ing, which means the he's v3ing.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Jeronimo, a quick unrelated question;

I got the chance to go to Bahia last Sept./Oct. Loved every bit of it!! Especially liked Salvador, the people, the food, the music!thumbsup Also fell in love (Actually, I hope to move there in a few years) with a town called Lençóis, near the Parque Nacional da Chapada Diamantina, have you ever been there?

When I was in Salvador I didn't get the chance to check out any recording studios (my girlfriend wouldn't let me, insisting that I was on vacation!). So what's the recording seen like down there?

Boa tarde!

M-O-M.
Old 27th May 2003
Hey MOM, what brought you here!?
I'm very happy that you liked!!! Let me know when you come back ok?
I've never been to Lençois... I'm going for the first time in a couple of weeks actually, I'm really looking foward to it (working too much)

Now, back on topic:
Ahhh, if he's DPing , now I understand how can he have that much power... 'cause I can't imagine PT LE doing this...

Anyways...
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Jeronimo;

We just went down for vacation, were in Brazil for three weeks. Man, I sure could go for some Moqueca 'bout now! I plan to return sometime this fall, (fall for me, spring for you.) Sept/Oct. I'll let you know.

Back to Altiverb, has anyone had the chance to compare it to the Sony DRES777? Not that I can afford to buy one. Just curious as to how the plug-in compares to the ($$$) hardware sampling digital reverb.

Tchau.
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Addict

is there a site that has the altiverb impuses as standard wav files?
Marsh
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear