The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Rush album June 2010 Dynamic Microphones
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Richard - BU2B- how did you get the cool fat smooth slightly overdriven vocal sound on Geddy's voice? - sounds great.
Thanks! Doubled track run through McDSP Futzbox and then out to harmonizer, mixed in with dry lead vocal w/buried needle on Fairchild 670.

Hope this helps!

R
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Lets hope the ME leaves some dynamics in this time.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

It was a month or two back when I was listening to the radio, and they were doing a '3 for Thursday' deal, I caught the ending of The Trees, then they played Tom Sawyer, then the 3rd one I didnt recognize, started with a cool proggy synth/bass line, I cranked the stereo and the song was hitting me hard. Its pretty rare for a new song to be so good and sound so good that its making me smile the whole time.

They never said what the song titles were and I never heard the 3rd song before, playing wise it reminded me of their older style, so I listened to every single release they have thinking I missed something and never found it until I saw that there were two songs out from their latest cd, which was followed by a few loud moments of audio happiness.

I really love the drum sound on caravan, specially the snare. The next song they played after that on the radio sounded so incredibly thin it made me laugh a little.

Richard, any details you can share on Caravans drum sound would be very much appreciated.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
Richard, any details you can share on Caravans drum sound would be very much appreciated.
Hey Jerrick,

Glad you're enjoying the track! Rush is so much fun to work with -- a good technical workout for the engineer and musically so good at the same time.

Neil's setup is similar to Snakes & Arrows (huge!). In fact, he used his S&A stage kit for the recording of the 2 tracks. There is another thread somewhere here where I posted a pic of the S&A recording session and you would see a lot of similarities. The main differences are: tube 67's on the toms this time, 5 ELAM 251's for overheads, 452's and 451's on spot cyms, and Royer 121's rather than the Coles 4038 we used for the 'close room' mics. Snare is a beta 57 top and side and I don't recall the bottom offhand ... could have been a Senny 441.

Tracked all through Neves and Helios pre's.

R
Attached Thumbnails
New Rush album June 2010-blackbird_kit.jpg  
Old 12th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Chycki View Post
Thanks! Doubled track run through McDSP Futzbox and then out to harmonizer, mixed in with dry lead vocal w/buried needle on Fairchild 670.

Hope this helps!

R
Oh my.... amazing - old + new... thanks for sharing, Richard. Its nice to hear some thickness to Geddy's voice

What about the mic and pre - always the same for Ged?
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

I just bought two of their greatest hits. The main thing I don't care for are the lyrics. After Neil's disasters in his life, his lyrics are very negative about life. I understand why he might feel that way, but album after album it gets a little depressing.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Chycki View Post
Hey Jerrick,

Glad you're enjoying the track! Rush is so much fun to work with -- a good technical workout for the engineer and musically so good at the same time.

Neil's setup is similar to Snakes & Arrows (huge!). In fact, he used his S&A stage kit for the recording of the 2 tracks. There is another thread somewhere here where I posted a pic of the S&A recording session and you would see a lot of similarities. The main differences are: tube 67's on the toms this time, 5 ELAM 251's for overheads, 452's and 451's on spot cyms, and Royer 121's rather than the Coles 4038 we used for the 'close room' mics. Snare is a beta 57 top and side and I don't recall the bottom offhand ... could have been a Senny 441.

Tracked all through Neves and Helios pre's.

R

Awesome, thank you for all of that. heh

Im recording a cd within the next few weeks and ill be using the Caravan track as a reference. If I can get our drums and bass somewhat close to it ill be very happy, but with my gear I think I got my work cut out for me.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Addict

I hope they go back to album length songs again. It's all downhill after Moving Pictures. Wouldn't it be cool if they went back to math rock mode? The could headline a tour with a reformed Henry Cow and Univers Zero.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post
Hemispheres, Permanent Waves & Moving Pictures

They would be my top 3 thumbsup
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Richard. Any other info you'd like to share on Caravan? That beginning
part has some of the best spatial sound I've ever heard. That mix is great,
as is the mastering. Loud, but no distortion, and nice punch on the drums.

As stated in previous posts, the depth age has added to Geddy's voice is
great. I never found it irritating, even on the first album his voice rocked.
His bass sounds huge. And as always, Alex holds it all together brilliantly.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
Hey Richard. Any other info you'd like to share on Caravan? That beginning
part has some of the best spatial sound I've ever heard. That mix is great,
as is the mastering. Loud, but no distortion, and nice punch on the drums.

As stated in previous posts, the depth age has added to Geddy's voice is
great. I never found it irritating, even on the first album his voice rocked.
His bass sounds huge. And as always, Alex holds it all together brilliantly.
Sure. If you have some specific questions I'll do my best to answer what I can. As well, I'd love to know what a listener's perspective is ... what's a plug-in, what's hardware, etc. ... might be interesting ...

R
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the response Richard. I was hoping to let you just go free-form in response, whatever you wanted
to share. Like how you got so '3D' with that intro. Also, compression and / or transient effects on the kicks or
just blending the (what is it, three or four) microphones you have on that kick. And who mastered that? They
did great at getting loud without distortion. Nice work. Did you, Rush, or both, attend the mastering sessions?

Were you going OTB, ie. Pultec, or ITB, maybe linear-phase EQ, for what you put on the mix and/or drum bus?
There's just a clarity to that which I find unprecidented in both the drum mix and overall. It's cutting-edge. In
some ways, even more clarity than the other song BU2B. And did you find it's just vocal maturity or was there
any changes in Geddy's mic techniques, proximty, or signal path? It is great to hear him kicking some baritone.
Old 13th January 2011

guitar amps

LOL Richard now you got us started!

I am really interested in Alex's amp choices

Did Nick get him to use the Budda amps?

Was it predominantly Hughes and Kettner?

Uh-oh...Q and A looming
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
LOL Richard now you got us started!

I am really interested in Alex's amp choices

Did Nick get him to use the Budda amps?

Was it predominantly Hughes and Kettner?

Uh-oh...Q and A looming
I had posted some info about the guitar setup on my blog at New Rush! « richardchycki.com. I'm doing this from my iPad so uploading photos etc isn't the best. there's a photo there of the amp stacks.

No Budda amps on these songs. Our general approach to guitar sounds is to set up a lot of different textures and mix/match until everyone is happy. The JD7 splitter made that a painless process. All pre's were the onboard Neves. The mic combination is fairly complex because of the number of amps but essentially consists of Royer 121s, FET47, 421s, 409, SM57s, SM7, 441 -- generally, I'm not a huge condenser guy for higher gain electric guitar (except for the 47).

R
Old 13th January 2011

thumbsup thanks
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

very interesting. thanks for being so open!
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Guru

I just got a sealed copy of Snakes & Arrows on vinyl on Ebay!

I think it is the most I've ever spent on a record. Can't wait to here this this record the way it was meant to be heard. heh

And what a great article this is, a must read for gearslutz.

EQ Magazine Article (September 2007) - The Recording Techniques Behind Snakes & Arrows
Old 5th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I just got a sealed copy of Snakes & Arrows on vinyl on Ebay!

I think it is the most I've ever spent on a record. Can't wait to here this this record the way it was meant to be heard. heh

And what a great article this is, a must read for gearslutz.

EQ Magazine Article (September 2007) - The Recording Techniques Behind Snakes & Arrows
Thanks so much for posting that link. I love those types of articles.
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Thanks so much for posting that link. I love those types of articles.
Yes, and I haven't read an article with so much of what we love to talk about, well done!
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Yes, and I haven't read an article with so much of what we love to talk about, well done!
Whenever a Sweetwater catalog comes, my wife puts it in the bathroom and then she`ll say, "Oh, by the way, your playboy mag came today, I put it in the bathroom." The first time she said that to me I freaked, I was like, damn, they`re supposed to deliver it to my PO Box.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search