The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you take apart Sennheiser MD 421 Filter Barrel
Old 8th January 2010
Here for the gear

How do you take apart Sennheiser MD 421 Filter Barrel

I have the filter barrel removed from the casing and I understand how to take the basket and capsule out. How do you take apart the filter barrel? My mic doesn't work. I think there might be an issue in the filter capsule.
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelingthin View Post
I have the filter barrel removed from the casing and I understand how to take the basket and capsule out. How do you take apart the filter barrel? My mic doesn't work. I think there might be an issue in the filter capsule.
As far as I know, you can't - the filter barrel is a complete unit.

If you want to send me a PM with your e-mail address I can send you a pdf of the Service Manual - is it the original or Mk.II version?
Old 9th January 2010
Gear Head

can I get that pdf??
Old 10th January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchk View Post
can I get that pdf??
Just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it. It's a 2-page scan of the exploded diagram and parts list of the original MD 421.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

i just took apart the filter barrel… but now i don't know how to get it back together… there is a little ball and a spring… don't know where they go
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditionary View Post
i just took apart the filter barrel… but now i don't know how to get it back together… there is a little ball and a spring… don't know where they go
They are not designed to come apart.

But when I took my Tuchel version apart many years ago - as far as I remember the spring goes under the ball and you carefully slide the plastic rotatable switch over it. The ball is the click-stop for the switch.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

yeah, that's what i figured… put the ball underneath the spring… oops, it won't come out as i think it was meant to hold the spring down…

alas, i've lost my bass roll off, but fixed my microphone. the ground solder was loose… fixed that and now the mic doesn't cut in and out ! i used it on M anyways, so just set it to that and sewed her back up…

i wonder if sennheiser will sell a bass roll off filter separately from the mic? will have to call the parts department this week. not going to really miss the bass roll off though. i like the extra lows… even on vocals and most importantly… now not going to have to keep tugging on the xlr connection when i'm singing to get the mic to pass signal! :D
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Q - How do you take apart Sennheiser MD 421 Filter Barrel???

A - Find a good tech and get them to do it. ; )
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

unfortunately, sennheiser won't release any of their schematics… they won't let the circuit of the mic get out… and definitely won't help you (or any tech) working on the filter barrel. i could fix one now… now that i've fixed (and broken) one

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search