The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPL Gold Mike or RNP as replacement for DMP2?
Old 23rd May 2003
SPL Gold Mike or RNP as replacement for DMP2?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi folks

The next item on my shopping list (having already got some new mics and a RNC) is a new dual pre amp to replace the DMP2 pre's in my Omni Studio. The GoldMike and the RNP seem to be the only ones in the price range (£500). I have read many good things about the RNP, and some good things about the SPL, but how do they compare?

Some people believe that £500 for an IC based pre (SPL Gold Mike) is a little too much and that the DMP3 may be just as good for £175?

I am hoping for the most 'expensive' sounding!

I have also been told that the DMP2 and Gold Mike may share the same Analogue Devices 2017 chips, does anyone know if this is true? People say that these discontinued chips are hard to make sound good, but that Earthworks managed it. Does anyone know if SPL also managed to get the best from them?

THE are surposed to be bringing out a new 1510 chip as a direct replacement for the 2017, that is streets ahead of it sonically. Would I be better off swapping the chips in my Omni Studio, rather than getting a Gold Mike?

Cheers for any help!
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

as I know SPL Goldmike is tube based, while omni i/o is solidstate. I haven't heard it, but some friends who has Goldmike are very satisfied. RNP seems to be in the same category as your omni i/o, so it seems to me you don't need it unless you need more mic inputs...
Old 24th May 2003
It is a hybrid, solid state and tube. The tube section only adds 6dB of gain and the IC's are meant to be the same as those in the DMP2?

As far as the RNP. I'd say that it is in a league or two above the DMP2 from what I can gather?

The DMP3 is above the DMP2 and slightly closer to the level of the RNP, but not enough of a step up for me to buy one, even though it is cheap! People have been getting them for $119 in the US!! Take a look over at HR. If I lived over there I wouldn't hesitate to get one and the Octava mic for $199!
Old 29th May 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Funk, I think www.digitalproaudio.com is still selling the Studio Projects VTB-1 for $129 (US), and it's a good sounding pre.
Is that a valid way to go even with the UK VAT charges?
(must plead ignorance-isn't VAT a type of surcharge?)

Also, you could check for a local UK dealer on their website
www.studioprojectsusa.com

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Head

Last week, a day before TapeOp, I was helping a friend record his drum kit, with D112 on 22" DW Kick
Sm57 on snare
4033 as mono OH
R84 pair as blumlein pair

He only has one stereo outboard preamp, the SPL Goldmike. After turning it on for 15 minutes, we started to record, and I was using about 40db of gain, and absolutely clean with no noise, and very smooth. For $800 or whatever price it is sold street, it's a good preamp. I didn't get a chance to compare it with any other preamp but it was a good first impression.

At Tapeop, we used the Great River MP2NV as courtesy of Dan Kennedy. We also had one up at the Summit Audio booth. There was an audible difference between the tube based Summit and the GR. MP2NV is awesome! It's really the mic pre to envy!
However, ribbon with tube seems to be really2 smooth as well. That was the first time I ever listen to a ribbon mic thru a tube mic pre. I'm impressed!

Moko
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

Wow, 40dB on a drumkit, I think the -20db pad was switched on then, or was it a soft jazz recording?

I also have a GoldMike, and I think it's a good sounding preamp for the money. I use it for drums and electric guitar, haven't got good results on vocals yet but that's probably because of the screechy AT4033 I have and has nothing to do with the SPL.

Geert
Old 10th June 2003
How would the Joe Meek VC7 stack up against the SPL and RNP?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search