The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JLM TMP-8 or True Precision 8? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Nut

JLM TMP-8 or True Precision 8?

I just wanted to post a thread up on the site to get feedback on 2 different preamp units I've been researching for my home project studio. Details: JLM TMP-8 or True Precision 8...budget $2500-3000. Basically I was looking for the pros and cons of each unit, keeping in mind that either one of these would be my main pre for now. If anyone mentions any of the 4 channel preamps out there, then just keep in mind that I would like to work with 8 channels. I think having only 4 channels to work with will be too limiting. I am also looking at getting a Lynx Aurora 8/FW to pair up with either unit. I have considered some of the RME interfaces such as the Fireface 800 or 400. I could then go for a 4 channel pre on the side. Yet for the price and the percieved value, I think one of the two eight channel pres would be more satisfying to work with in the long run.

Both the TMP-8 and Precision 8 seem very similar. They both are very minimalistic in their features. Both have to 2 DIs. I think both err on the side of transparency but I think the TMP-8 may be more colored. It's hard for me to judge. I just haven't heard or used either.

TMP-8: Soft limiters, pad on every channel.

Precision 8:
Built in mid/side decoding.

Help me out girls and boys.
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Nut

Hmmm. I have read through posts exhaustively concerning JLM's products, 8 channel mic pre units, the True Precision 8, and other preamp questions and concerns. I didn't really get the answers that I was looking for in a direct way with comparing and contrasting these units.

By the way, the girls and boys thing was only meant as a harmless jest. I do get carried away sometimes. I can see what you me though. Really no belittling or insulting meant. I hope my stupidity doesn't distract from getting good feedback on this particular topic. I'm just trying to make solid rational decisions concerning what unit I purchase. Funds are tight and I was never much for buyer's regret. I still am very much interested in what you all have to say. It really is much appreciated.
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Maniac

Do you ever record anything with large transients that end up getting squashed at some point, e.g. drums, brass etc.? If so, then get the JLM TMP-8 for its very useable limiters, if not then get an Audient ASP008 for $1400 US instead of the Precision 8 and save yourself some money.
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Nut

Yes, horns and heavy hitting drummers are in my future. I am also going to put myself out there in terms of doing live sound and location work. I think realistically I should probably go with Joe Malone's 8 mic pre unit. Feature wise I can understand the price difference between all 3 units. Engineers do cost money. What matters to me though is what each mic pre sounds like. However, I know that can't adequately be explained in words. I figure I should just take a chance. Why not? I could probably grow to love each unit given the right circumstances. I am not entirely sure about the Audient unit but I think either the TMP-8 or TP8 would function great as an all purpose mic preamp. Anybody else have any sound advice to make my decision making process a little easier?
Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
not very wise to insult on your first post "boys and girls"
especially since your topic has been discussed to death already
Jesus, some people on Gearslutz are sensitive about hearing anything twice. If we all only talked or posted about things or ideas that we hadn't already discussed or talked about at some point previously... this board would have very few new posts. Get a grip.
Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear

The Malone preamps rock! The audient will be cleaner and cheaper...
I'd add a great pretender: ATI 8mx2 more or less in the same ballpark pricewise as the jlm.. Those pre are not really colored (they are not) but are ballsy and full sounding (it's the best description I could give). I liked the sound when I rented a unit.. Be careful and buy a new one, they have a new fan that is not so noisy as the old units.
I'd go for the jlm or the ati depending on the features that you're after.. You can't go wrong with these units though.
Just my 0.02$,

Bests,
Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 2nd January 2010 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Typooo
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Nut

I'm not sure if it's the best idea to go for a cleaner preamp. I say that because the mics I have and the ones I am going to purchase all have a fairly flat response. I do like that you can push the preamps hard on the TMP-8 and not have to worry about it too much.

I know ultimately a discussion like this breaks down to one of the fundamental issue of preamps: color vs. transparency. I can tell you that the weakest point in my home project studio will be sound isolation. With that being said, I will be doing my fair share of close micing. This is one of the more realistic considerations in such a debate/discussion, because there is nothing necessarily natural about close micing, no matter what style of music we are discussing. One thing I would like to get a feeling for though is how subtle the coloration is with the TMP-8.

Stepped gain control for me is much more desirable. I like that the levels can be set the same from session to session if you work with guys and girls who are very consistent. It's things like this that help reconcile the extra expense. cheu78, I appreciate you mentioning fan noise, which is something I haven't really thought about. Do any of you have any experience with excessive fan noise with any of these other units?

Last edited by whquade; 3rd January 2010 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: grammer
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

I got the Precision 8 about 6 years ago. I believe Roger Nichols said they were good for drums. The pre,s sound clean. For me they are good for some drums. Toms overheads,hi hat, snare bottom and also electric and accoustic guitars. I rate it about a 7 for having 8 channels to use along with my Neve,Api, and other pre,s when I need it in tracking.
Support was very good. Small company in Arizona? Had a bad channel and they fixed for free . However It is very possible one of the other brands mentioned might sound as good or better for less. I think I paid about $2400 in 1999.
GT.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

I just A/B'd the TMP-8 with my Shadow Hills GAMA8 for a song I was doing and picked the TMP! The GAMA sounds great. More of a classic sound, while the TMP was just ass kicking punch.

TREMENDOUS bang for buck, this thing. Joe rocks.

Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Jesus, some people on Gearslutz are sensitive about hearing anything twice. If we all only talked or posted about things or ideas that we hadn't already discussed or talked about at some point previously... this board would have very few new posts. Get a grip.
sorry about that
can't comment because we used a certain rack of pres for last show.
and be buying more when the dollar balances against aussie coin again.
Attached Thumbnails
JLM TMP-8 or True Precision 8?-cantcomment2.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Nut

That's pretty funny. I can see that you know what you like. I know the conversion rate could be better. Do you think I should hold off a little before going ahead with the purchase? Living in Chicago myself, I don't necessarily like the shipping cost if the unit were to have any troubles. Any malfunctions with any of the channels? I guess I could always take it to some repair guy if the need arouse, or learn how to solder better.
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Addict

I debated the 8 channel preamp thing for a while myself. Currently I own 4 api 212ls and the Sytek 4ch preamp without the Burr Brown chips.

I'd say if you need 8ch in one space I'd totally go for the ATI 8mx2, they have tons of other useful features aside from being a preamp. It has 8 line returns into stereo , headphone outs, separate monitor and 2mix controls, limiters on each input.

Cheers
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Nut

That brings up another interesting point and I suppose a whole different question: If I went with a Lynx Aurora 8/FW paired with the TMP-8 by Joe Malone, then which units should I look at to fulfill monitoring needs for me and the performers? Is this additional cost great enough to consider the amenities of the API 8MX2? Again money isn't so loose...
Old 4th January 2010

consider the focusrite ISA with digital card, so you wouldn't need the lynx, unless you are wanting the lynx's mixing facilities

Focusrite Audio Engineering | UK Site | Products | ISA | ISA828

Focusrite Audio Engineering | UK Site | Products | ISA | ISA 8-channel ADC (compatible with ISA 428 and ISA 828)

matt
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Nut

I gave some good thought to the Focusrite ISA-828 with converters and it seems like some of the features are a bit superfluous given my situation. I don't know how much credence I should give to the switchable impedance function. Not to open up another can of worms, but if not the Lynx Aurora 8/FW as an interface then what? My original intention was to get an 8 channel preamp to pair up with an 8 channel converter. I figured since I want to spend the extra dollar on converters then it would be wise not to mess around with preamps. I'm going to be using a laptop running windows which is why the Aurora 8/FW seemed like a good bet. I guess my discussion of preamps is a double edged sword. Any other thoughts?
Old 5th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by whquade View Post
I gave some good thought to the Focusrite ISA-828 with converters and it seems like some of the features are a bit superfluous given my situation. I don't know how much credence I should give to the switchable impedance function. Not to open up another can of worms, but if not the Lynx Aurora 8/FW as an interface then what? My original intention was to get an 8 channel preamp to pair up with an 8 channel converter. I figured since I want to spend the extra dollar on converters then it would be wise not to mess around with preamps. I'm going to be using a laptop running windows which is why the Aurora 8/FW seemed like a good bet. I guess my discussion of preamps is a double edged sword. Any other thoughts?
Yeah there's always a million options, so sorry for making things more complicated

You could for instance get the focusrite (with digital card) and an m-audio 2626. That way you have the onboard mixing of the 2626 for latency free monitoring, you'd also have 8 more channels of preamps and conversion built into the 2626 if you needed them at some stage, and you could even use pro tools if you wanted.

With this set up you would be attaching by ADAT, which as far as I know is limited to 48khz on the focusrite (I might be wrong). If you could find an AES interface you could get higher sample rates, but chances are you don't want to use them anyway.

The impedance control is great for ribbon mics, otherwise its not so important.

BTW. I use the Aurora 16 myself (and the 2626) so I'm not ratting on the Aurora, I was just thinking there might be a better way of achieving what you are trying to achieve. That said, there would be nothing wrong with the setups you originally proposed.

matt
Old 13th January 2010
Gear Head

I'm going to chip in for the ATI 8mx2 too.thumbsup

Great preamps - strong and bring out the best in most every mic, I ended up using them in favour of the Calrec board I was using. Really you can just put the mic in there and throw the fader up - they take a lot of work out of the equation sometimes.

The mixer is handy - limiters not so unless that's your thing (pretty heavy handed, but they can me modded).

Have a look on Ebay - can see them go for around $1500. The fan can be a bit - noisy - doesn't take a rocket scientist to fix this tho...

just my 2c
Old 17th January 2010
Gear Nut

Thank you for all your input. Yes, I researched a lot for the setup of my chose, and you know what...my eyes are a bit bigger than my stomach. Although I have pretty much decided on joe malone's 8 channel pre. The only thing that is stopping me is the bread. I'm gonna wait until the exchange rate goes down some and until I get more money together. It should all work out eventually. I do have one last question and I probably should open up another thread, but what kind of monitoring system should I get with such a setup (with the lynx aurora for my conversion)? I'm so glad that I a site such as this exists. Thanks again.
Old 17th January 2010
Gear Nut

In my last post...I am not talking about monitors, but rather what kind of device I should get where I could plug my monitors into and get maybe 2 headphone outs.
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by whquade View Post
Thank you for all your input. Yes, I researched a lot for the setup of my chose, and you know what...my eyes are a bit bigger than my stomach. Although I have pretty much decided on joe malone's 8 channel pre. The only thing that is stopping me is the bread. I'm gonna wait until the exchange rate goes down some and until I get more money together. It should all work out eventually. I do have one last question and I probably should open up another thread, but what kind of monitoring system should I get with such a setup (with the lynx aurora for my conversion)? I'm so glad that I a site such as this exists. Thanks again.
Excellent decision. I've used Joe's TMP8 for a few years now and I can report that it's killer on drums and anything close miked. I use it in every recording I make - save up and grab it, it'll be worth it. It's very under-priced.
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
You could for instance get the focusrite (with digital card) and an m-audio 2626. That way you have the onboard mixing of the 2626 for latency free monitoring...
OT:

Can you get latency-free via the ADATs on the 2626?

In the past I thought this wasn't possible for some reason?

Cheers,

R.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search