The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Western Digital 10,000RPM SATA HD
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Western Digital 10,000RPM SATA HD

The new WD Raptor is a 10K RPM Serial ATA drive, the first ever non SCSI 10K drive. SATA is the newer ATA spec. It uses nice, thin cables, has higher MB/sec specs and most importantly, has lower CPU utilization than either SCSI or Parallel ATA. The specs are similar to a new 10K SCSI drive, except the data density is higher, thereby making DAW type reads potentially more efficient. It's also vastly quieter and cooler than SCSI 10K drives.

No, the above is not a WD press release, it's my personal eval after grabbing one and using it today. The thing is stupid fast. On my system, at 44.1K/24 bits, I was able to simultaneously record 64 tracks while playing back 64 tracks to/from the same single drive.

When playing back 128 tracks, GUI was snappier, Native plugin count was higher and locate/play happened quicker, all notably improved over a WD 120GB 7,200RPM drive with 8MB cache, which is no slouch.

The initial model is only 36GB, which is a bit of a downer. But the drive carries the same 5 year warranty as server class SCSI drives, so hopefully reliability should be good.

Especially for those using Native DAWs, this drive should really improve many aspects of the system vs most, if not all other drives. The very low CPU useage of the SATA spec was noticeable even on my system (Paris), which is a hybrid with it's own hardware DSP in addition to Native. On pure Native rigs like Nuendo, I would think the difference would be even more pronounced.

The only bad news: AFAIK, there is little or no support for SATA on the Mac. Anybody have more info on that? Because this is technology Mac DAW users are definitely going to want sooner than later.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 23rd May 2003
There is only one

pci card controller?
Old 23rd May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Re: Western Digital 10,000RPM SATA HD

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT

The initial model is only 36MB, which is a bit of a downer. But the drive carries the same 5 year warranty as server class SCSI drives, so hopefully reliability should be good.
Don't you mean 36GB?? Otherwise, I don't see how you're getting 64 tracks at all. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but the amount of disk space needed for 64 tracks at 24bit/44.1 (whether recording or playing) far exceeds a mere 36MB.
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Maniac

Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Western Digital 10,000RPM SATA HD

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Don't you mean 36GB?? Otherwise, I don't see how you're getting 64 tracks at all. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but the amount of disk space needed for 64 tracks at 24bit/44.1 (whether recording or playing) far exceeds a mere 36MB.

p.s. - I hereby christen this drive "Western Digital 10K RPM, SATAN'S OWN HD"

heh

Oops. Make that 36GB. Keeps me humble.

BT
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
pci card controller?
Yeah, there are several SATA/PCI cards, but none that I can see with Mac drivers at this point. I looked specifically, just trying to share the love with people who dig slow computers heh

Regards,
Brian T
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

quondo costo?
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Addict

No need to put it inside a Mac - Just put it inside a external enclosure with a firewire 800 interface slapped onto it!!

But it would be nice to have at least a 76Gb model.
Old 23rd May 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
Yeah, there are several SATA/PCI cards, but none that I can see with Mac drivers at this point. I looked specifically, just trying to share the love with people who dig slow computers heh

Regards,
Brian T
i get what i need out of it. did windoze-land ever get a real time convolution verb?
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
i get what i need out of it. did windoze-land ever get a real time convolution verb?
Samplitude and Sequoia (Version 7+) both have one... Sequoia adds the capability to make your own impulse responses as well.

--Ben
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, come on guys. There's a stupid big smiley face on my post. This is definitely a Mac dominated forum, and sometimes I just have to needle a bit. I'm waaaaaaay over Mac vs PC in any serious sense. Go ahead, make fun of my peecees to your heart's desire. Just a box of silicon that wil be a boat anchor in 12 months.

As far as convolution verbs, I hear from some people who can hear that the convolution verbs in Samplitude are excellent, though I have yet to hear them myself. Also, SF Acoustic Mirror has been around forever, but I don't use that either.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 23rd May 2003
There is only one

i know its symantics but its REALLY MAC vs WINDOZE... not PC since a MAC is a Personal Computer as well, probably more "personal" than a windoze machine since you dont have to deal with a lot of registry bullshit

i dont really care though. i own macs and windoze machines.
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Addict

stop this off-topic bidness -
speak only of 10,000 rpm SATA drives in this thread dammmitt
tutt

and no - I'm not the moderator grudge
Old 23rd May 2003
There is only one

were just ribbin each other.

so i bought a 120GB firewire drive today. a whopping 7200 rpm. adding them as i need more and more storage.
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Addict

yeah - I bought a 120gb last week myself.

- but I'm really thinking of getting one of those 400gb or 500gb drives!

(that's on topic right?!?)
Old 24th May 2003
There is only one

you know it only comes up as 112GB... weird. but 344GB of space right now... and need more.
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

while we're on the topic of hard drives, has anyone used any of the new Seagate Cheetah 15k.3 SCSI hard drives in their audio PCs or dedicated recorders? I've got a pair of the 18G models ordered for my new Genex 8ch recorder. I've heard a few warnings about 15k rpm drives being noisy, but the computer rags reviewed the new Cheetah drives as being quieter than any 10k models from their competitors. But I'd be more interested in what you guys think about them, if any of you have had the chance to work with one yet....

Thanks

steve
[email protected]
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear