The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Correcting my vocal chain
Old 22nd May 2003
Here for the gear

Correcting my vocal chain

Hi, for playing back my vocals (Lead and Bv)I use a Drawmer 1961 Eq then 2 Purple MC76's, Would you guys put the compressor first or the eq?
Old 22nd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Re: Correcting my vocal chain

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattkeys
Hi, for playing back my vocals (Lead and Bv)I use a Drawmer 1961 Eq then 2 Purple MC76's, Would you guys put the compressor first or the eq?
What do the tracks sound like without the EQ and the 1176's? maybe yo don't need either one. Maybe you only need an EQ, and maybe only the compressors; the right answer is whatever sounds best to you.
Old 22nd May 2003
Here for the gear

I like to tweak the vocal parts using the eq to find different characters in the vocalist's then compressing the signal to give a bit of control in the mix. Just wondered if there was a right and a wrong way before I experimented anyway ,to see what it sounds like the other way, but I've got to say I'm v happy the way it is.
Old 22nd May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattkeys
I like to tweak the vocal parts using the eq to find different characters in the vocalist's then compressing the signal to give a bit of control in the mix. Just wondered if there was a right and a wrong way before I experimented anyway ,to see what it sounds like the other way, but I've got to say I'm v happy the way it is.
There is no right or wrong way.

99% of the time I usually place the EQ(for its sound) first when mixing because i want to make the compressor freq dependent. Also I want to enhance only certain aspects of the vocal.

I only put the comp first if I want that comp's sonic signature(ala Neve comps/Gates Sta Level) if the vocal is thin or needs some kind ooomph!!

In these cases the comp is working more as an effect device.

I'll usually go to an EQ after than another comp(for a touch of "stand upness") and maybe a final finishing EQ.

Basically whatever it takes.
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

I tend these days to compress first to make the track sit where i want in the mix, then EQ to fine tune the sound and compensate for any dulling of the sound by the compressor.

But if i am doing more surgical EQ, de-essing, filtering, etc. I would probably do that first.

Just a matter of personal preference, as thrill so aptly stated...

I also agree with Dave - never process anything out of habit - make sure it is really an improvement over the raw track.
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

the last track i mixed had on the lead vocal 3 eqs , 3 compressors,
3 different dynamic eq's , de-esser, and a limiter ....... and a tape sim.
all that was to acheive the most beautiful vocal sound.
here is some advice that helped me learn and get some vocal sound chops:
if you have the gear, a great way to hear the differences is to mult out the
lead vocal to 3 to 6 differnet channels at the desk. if its to figure out
whether compressor is best pre or post eq - then mult it out and know instantly.
or better yet , try radically different settings and gear on each channel.
i was never good at memory about cool sounds , so when it is all there instantly
with no delay trying to fumble with patch cords , it is a great way i learned.
also , 30 db of compression is as special and valid as 2 db of compression
on an la-2a. on some rock tracks , hammering the gain reduction meter so
it never comes off of pegged is a great sound too. sometimes no compression
is the answer . also try not only the traditional ratio of 3:1 , 1.5:1 can be
awesome , as so can 20:1 !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search