The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone using Elecro Voice RE200, RE1000 or RE2000?
Old 22nd May 2003
Anyone using Elecro Voice RE200, RE1000 or RE2000?

Just wondered if anyone is using these mics? I never seem to hear anyone mentioning EV only the RE10, 15 & 20, but SOS gave all these mics excellent reviews in '89!

Paul White said they were very tube like and that the 'budget' ($400 at the time) RE200 sounded very much like the £1000 RE1000! He said that it would make a great vocal mic! The specs on the 1000 & 2000 especially are very good and I'm surprised no-one mentions using them?

I think it is possible to get good deals on the RE1000 now, as it didn't sell well and the RE200 is on sale in the US for only $180! Not sure how much the top of the line RE2000 is now?

Anyway, I'm currently trying to get myself a RE200 for $60!!

Kane
Old 22nd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

I've got a pair of RE-2000's on the overheads currently; they work fine. There's not a whole lot of character to them for vocals, but they were OK on a dobro.

That's all I've tried them on so far. Oh, and the way the cables for the RE 2000 are designed kind of sucks; it's a 'Y', with one end going to the mic, another going to the PS and the third an XLR; the leg from the 'Y' to the mic should be longer, as should the (non-removeable) power cord attached to the PS.
Old 16th March 2011
Gear Addict
Just got an Re200 based on the SOS review .... cost me $100 on ebay and came from Fargo, ND (a place which has probably never recovered from a visit by the Coen Brothers).

I also bought a crosshair pencil mic shockmount with built in pop filter from Hong Kong, like the ones that come with the Cad E70.... cost me $20.

I've been looking for a vocal mic to suit my voice and based on the two links below I decided to try this Re200...... It is great on my vocal ( a high baritone ???)

This is me singing in a pub using the AT MB 3000L (another "unsung" hero in my arsenal)

YouTube - Blackheath by Mike Norton

Also this one with another AT mic:

YouTube - Killing the Blues - performed by Mike Norton

So if your voice is maybe similar range/timbre I would recommend the RE200 for studio use.... It may suit a whole lot of voices. ...Highly recommended.

I also tried it on my Ac. Guitar and it was pretty good but I still prefer some other mics for that.

Electrovoice RE1000, RE2000 & RE200

http://www.careysound.com/downloads/...rmicdrawer.pdf

This is from the SOS review.

"But the big surprise was the relatively inexpensive RE200 which, when compared to the RE1000, sounded very similar indeed, hence my decision to include it in the review -- I wonder if they use a variation on the same capsule? There's slightly more presence from the RE200, as its frequency plot would lead you to expect, but the underlying warmth and thickness of tone is undiminished. I think the RE200, if used with a pop shield, would make an excellent vocal mic, as well as an instrument mic ."
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear