The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HS50m, MSP5, MSP7, HS80m, which Yamaha Monitor? Studio Monitors
Old 23rd December 2009
Gear Addict

HS50m, MSP5, MSP7, HS80m, which Yamaha Monitor?

I've been blessed with a nice chunk of cash this Christmas, and I am going to order a pair of monitors for my amateur home studio, doing acoustic stuff.

I read a lot of good things about the Yamaha HSM50 and 80 units, but 5" feels small to me (I currently have M-Audio DX4's) and 8" boxes a pretty huge for my little desk. I was thinking about the Yamaha 6.5" MSP7's as the best size for me.

I am wondering if that is a good idea, and it the MSP series is fundamentally different than the HS series?

Also, you can see I am looking at the $400 to $$750 price range (might be able to go a bit higher), and if you have another suggestion, I would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by Danner; 23rd December 2009 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Fixed model number in title.
Old 23rd December 2009
Jai guru deva om

The MSP series is certainly different from HS, both are good but MSP is a flatter response type of speaker and overall delivers more detail.

The MSP5 is still an amazing speaker to me with a very articulate midrange etc.

War
Old 23rd December 2009
Gear Nut

MSP7 would be a much better choice. I totally agree with what Warren has just said.
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

personally, i find the range of 6" monitors a poor compromise - they are not adequate to deliver proper bass freqs, and are a tad large to give a clean tight midrange. i think for smaller rooms/control areas, a good 5" monitor coupled with a subwoofer is the best bet.
Old 24th December 2009
Quote:
I read a lot of good things about the Yamaha HSM50 and 80 units, but 5" feels small to me
The HS50M with the subwoofer beats out every system I have heard in the price range. Hard to go wrong. I haggled my way down to $143 each at guitar center. But there are combo deals out there with the sub.
Old 24th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
The HS50M with the subwoofer beats out every system I have heard in the price range. Hard to go wrong. I haggled my way down to $143 each at guitar center. But there are combo deals out there with the sub.
Interesting, because that combo is a bit under $800. So that is an option.
Old 24th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
I am trying to get rid of my HS50+HS10W sub after an A/B comparison with a MSP7 in my own room. HS series are way too colored, especially high range. And also I used an EQ test on a kick drum, cut around 300hz, -8dB, medium Q. The HS set up responded with no difference when I turn that band on and off, where it was like night and day with the MSP7s.

I was using HS set up at home happily until I noticed the hyped high end when compared to my studio work with MSP7s and MSP10s.
Old 24th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubber View Post
I am trying to get rid of my HS50+HS10W sub after an A/B comparison with a MSP7 in my own room. HS series are way too colored, especially high range. And also I used an EQ test on a kick drum, cut around 300hz, -8dB, medium Q. The HS set up responded with no difference when I turn that band on and off, where it was like night and day with the MSP7s.

I was using HS set up at home happily until I noticed the hyped high end when compared to my studio work with MSP7s and MSP10s.
OK, thanks. I will order the MSP7's today.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search