The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An important feedback to the pro audio gear manufacturers Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

An important feedback to the pro audio gear manufacturers

First I couldn't decide whether to put this thread here or the moan zone, but then decided this will be a constructive feedback rather than whining, so I thought it would be more appropriate to have it in this section.

The problem is the content provided within the "Product Specifications" sheet... or lack thereof.

My job is to build/service/overhaul/improve recording studios, from acoustics down to the electrical wiring. From one-room arrangement studio to large facilities.

And quite usually the problems I need to fix in those places start from the inefficiency/poverty (or should I say "Powerty") in mains power circuits.

I find that the documents supplied with the products as the "User Manual" usually lack the very basic engineering information such as power ratings of the equipment.

For instance, I need to specify a regulator/UPS system for an existing studio at the moment and finding such information on the gear they have is like splitting hairs. I have already spent and entire day in front of the screen trying to find how many watts/VAs they draw during power up and normal operation etc, and I can't seem to get anywhere with even the most raved, talked about, sought-after, praised or used-despite-spat-on units (try to find the power rating for Digidesign 192 I/O units in their documents for example, or Ridge Farm Gas Cooker, or UA LA-2A, or Avalon AD2044... or Distressor... nightmare...).

Or even if some of them might have put that info in them, usually it is hidden in a text on some page, so I have to read the entire manual to fish it out. I don't have that much time to sit down and read hundreds of pages of information just to calculate how much power a system of 20 outboards would require.

Manufacturers,

Please, please, please, provide technical specifications properly. Help us help you.

Help us help your customers make the best use of your equipment.

You have that information. You've tested them before putting out in the market.

And don't hide it within the product description on some 15th page. There is already a convention established on putting all that info in a chart at the end of every manual. Just put it in there so that we can just tune into that page and get what we need and get on with our jobs.

Thank you.

B.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search