The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
fw interface? apogee duet? Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd December 2009
Gear Maniac

fw interface? apogee duet?

putting a new live setup together. in addition to all my hardware, i will be using a macbook pro running ableton. my question is what interface should i use? i want some high quality ad da convertors in a small package. bus powered would be nice. 2 ins and outs is all i need. 48v phantom is a must for portable vocal recording on the road. with that said, i am leaning towards the apogee duet. anybody using the duet with ableton? is it ****in solid? i want no issues during a live situation.

I am also open to any other suggestions for an interface around 500 or less.

I am using apogee ensemble via lightpipe into my 003 in the studio. i am happy with the quality of the apogee converters.
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

I was helping a friend set up a home studio recently and he was running a duet via a fw 400 to 800 converter on a macbook pro and we were running into some issues. a loud noise on the inputs, not from ground hum or anything else, something related specifically to the duet or the fw cable connecting it. We ended up resorting to old mBox. Another gearslut reported a similar problem with his duet, but only with the MacBook pro. It works fine with other macs. I can't say I'm a big fan of the "pigtail" thing, although it can be streamlined if you make your own cable for the back of it with just the i/o you need which would be kind of cool.
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

There's a bunch of guys who use Metric Halo gear live, so check out a ULN2. You should hit the MH forum or list to get their perspective.
Old 23rd December 2009
Here for the gear

Apogee Duet

I am using an Apogee Duet in Logic 8 on an iMac (2008) and a Mac Book Pro (2009). It's working very nicely with both of these machines.

I'd thoroughly recommend the Duet. There are plenty of other threads on this forum with info on how it performs.
Old 23rd December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aof21 View Post
I was helping a friend set up a home studio recently and he was running a duet via a fw 400 to 800 converter on a macbook pro and we were running into some issues. a loud noise on the inputs, not from ground hum or anything else, something related specifically to the duet or the fw cable connecting it. We ended up resorting to old mBox. Another gearslut reported a similar problem with his duet, but only with the MacBook pro. It works fine with other macs. I can't say I'm a big fan of the "pigtail" thing, although it can be streamlined if you make your own cable for the back of it with just the i/o you need which would be kind of cool.
i just did some research on this. is your friend using an external monitor. if so he should buy a $2 power adapter that gets rid of the ground.
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

RME Fireface 400 or 800!!!! just my preference

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search