The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Telefunken AR51
Old 30th November 2012
Am I the only one that wasn't I'm pressed? I put both mics up the tlm103 and new ar51 and the differance was very little and even the band blindly picked the 103

Sent from my PG86100
Old 30th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
Just picked up an AR-51 last week. Glorious. My god this thing is awesome.
It stands tall on it's own or sits wonderfully in a dense mix. High end sound - and a wonderful dose of "air" - crystal clear but not harsh like a low end mic.

Bottom line, best investment I've made in a good while. I hadn't found a single mic that gave me what I want on acoustic guitar until I tried this baby. Oh and vocals - gheez, this thing kills there too. Perfect tube compliment to my FET mics. I ran it for six hours in the studio yesterday. I swear it sounded better and better as the afternoon wore on ....

Cdlt
Any chance you can post something...I'm feeling pissed and misled ..sibilance..tube saturation .. I'm hardly a noob ..I need a good fkn vocal Mic! At least something better then the 103! it's going back and I'm getting a miktek cv4

Sent from my PG86100
Old 30th November 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
Any chance you can post something...I'm feeling pissed and misled ..sibilance..tube saturation .. I'm hardly a noob ..I need a good fkn vocal Mic! At least something better then the 103! it's going back and I'm getting a miktek cv4

Sent from my PG86100
I wonder if you got one with the old capsule.
Old 30th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Nope ..it's almost 800 serial... I don't get it..

Sent from my PG86100
Old 30th November 2012
Quote:
I would love to hear something from you

Sent from my PG86100
Old 30th November 2012
Quote:
You can see that it's edge terminated

Sent from my PG86100
Attached Thumbnails
Telefunken AR51-uploadfromtaptalk1354245408998.jpg  
Old 30th November 2012
It's a beautiful Mic but I need more then that

Sent from my PG86100
Old 1st December 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
I would love to hear something from you

Sent from my PG86100
do you mean like some recorded vocals?
Quote:
do you mean like some recorded vocals?
yea but dont worry about it.. im pulling the trigger on a CV4 tomorrow
Lives for gear

Mine is with the old capsule as well and I experience absolutely none of what you describe. I am well aware of the sound differences between old and new cap. I like the sound of the old capsule, sits beautifully in the mix.

You can hear samples on Pesada's Place, old capsule there. Lots of folks seemed to pick the 51 over the AK-47 and Copperhead, although those are both great mics as well. You may have received a defective unit .? Anyway, good luck.

Cdlt
Old 13th November 2013
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these next month. Anyone care to share their latest thinking on it ?
Old 13th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
Mine is with the old capsule as well and I experience absolutely none of what you describe. I am well aware of the sound differences between old and new cap. I like the sound of the old capsule, sits beautifully in the mix.

You can hear samples on Pesada's Place, old capsule there. Lots of folks seemed to pick the 51 over the AK-47 and Copperhead, although those are both great mics as well. You may have received a defective unit .? Anyway, good luck.

Cdlt
I watched that episode of Pensado's place. Honestly though I preferred the AK47 in that shootout from the video's audio. Every time the other engineer picked the AR51 over the AK47 I was kind of laughing because I felt like the reverse suited me in an obvious way.

That being said the AR51 is pretty damn good sounding.

Quote:
Am I the only one that wasn't I'm pressed? I put both mics up the tlm103 and new ar51 and the differance was very little and even the band blindly picked the 103

Sent from my PG86100
I have used the AR51 and tried on countless occasions to make the TLM103 behave for me. I don't know what to tell you, I much prefer the AR51...maybe yours is having issues?

Also if you don't want something strident/sibilant try picking mics which don't hype the upper mid-range as much.
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

I sent mine in to get the new capsule. It sounds like a different mic. I did like the way the old capsule sounded, I had telefunken send the old capsule back just in case. I do like that there's more low end, tried it as an outside kick mic and it sounded much better than before. The mids are better IMO. Not nearly as much high end that I liked about the older capsule, maybe smoother now I would call it. I think it makes it a much more versatile mic because before I didn't like it on anything but certain vocalist.
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I watched that episode of Pensado's place. Honestly though I preferred the AK47 in that shootout from the video's audio. Every time the other engineer picked the AR51 over the AK47 I was kind of laughing because I felt like the reverse suited me in an obvious way.

That being said the AR51 is pretty damn good sounding.

I have used the AR51 and tried on countless occasions to make the TLM103 behave for me. I don't know what to tell you, I much prefer the AR51...maybe yours is having issues?

Also if you don't want something strident/sibilant try picking mics which don't hype the upper mid-range as much.
I sent it back and bought a miktek cv4 and have been in love with it ever since .. as stated before - for the price, it (theAR) sounded too similar to the 103 .. the first one that I got the cap was rolling around in the grill.. the second was harsh .. I tried many pres-neve,api,FR,UA,cam labs, then set up the Tom 103 next to the AR and let the band choose .. they choose the TLM 103 in a blind comparison - and so did I -.. I wouldn't have a problem if I hadn't just spent 1800 on a new "better" mic then the 103 ..witch I had been using for lots of records for years .. saving 2g for a new mic and not using it on my latest project made me a little pissed .. I was convinced that the new cap was going to sound better then the samples that were available at the time ..but it didn't .. it sounded like a lower middle line of there mics .. and if you think about it .. why would they make it sound as good as there hi end mic..the elam251 -- Miktek on the other hand didn't have another hi end mic to sell .. The CV4 sounded brilliant right out of the box .. very close to a U67 .. my portico loves it.. and so does everyone who hears it to date
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

I keep trying with a mic until I find a way to use it. There's got to be a way to make it work is my motto. I HAD to do this in the past, I have choices now.....
Gear Maniac

I watched that Pensado's Place video too, and for that singer's voice I liked the AK47. The AR51 was nice but just not the mic I would pick for his voice.

That being said, a lot of vocals that get recorded here will be recorded on a 1974 U87 or an SM7b. However both of these are almost endlessly smooth and for certain singers (especially female voices, higher males, and very quiet singers) I often find myself adding a lot of "air" - 12-15k or so. The smoothness is necessary for this being possible without having things get harsh and the results are very nice, but I need this sound often enough that it'd be nice to be able to get the mic. I did tons of research for quite a while, with the Manley Ref C being the frontrunner, but since this is a mic I planned to use for the occasional voices that need it rather than a main vocal mic I'd be using every session I was looking at a slightly lower budget. My search for a smooth, airy, but not harsh mic lead me to the AR51. I listened to a number of samples and liked the air, though I was a little concerned about the slight roll off. Well imagine that, I found the samples of the AR51 with the newer capsule (that's been in all AR51s since about a year ago in 2012) and that really quelled my fears.

I ended up getting the AR51 a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. The first thing I tried it on was whisper-quiet vocals along with acoustic guitar (another thing I often want a little more air on than my KM84s give). I have an artist I've been working with for a number of years who sings very quietly and always needs an abundance of those really high frequencies. While I was recording the vocals I wondered if there was a little TOO much high end in the AR51, but on playback - no, definitely not. The sound actually has a lot in common with my U87, especially how sensitive it is. But while the U87 has that warmth, which I always find around 330hz and somewhere around 900hz, which is sometimes "vintagy" sounding and is sometimes "honky" depending on the context it's in, the Telefunken is similar but would present a clearer alternative in those situations where I'd normally pull a little out of those regions. It was really beautiful on the acoustic too. I was using a Martin 000-15M, which is a mahogany guitar that has a darker sound than something like a spruce dreadnaught, and it was the first time I've recorded that guitar without immediately thinking about what I'd need to do with EQ to try to get it to sound "right".

About the low end concerns that I've seen some folks have, I honestly can't imagine not being able to get enough low end out of this mic. I think it's just normally we expect this massive proximity effect that comes with a lot of mics, which we often end up EQing out anyway. The Telefunken has it too, it's just not quite as massive of a boost so you can get a bit closer to the mic. It definitely doesn't sound lacking in low end, just not quite as boosted as something like a U47.

I've been using the mic for some vocals but most recently as an omni room mic for some electric guitar tracks. It's been great. I love using a KM84 for a room mic but often find myself boosting some highs and high mids so you're hearing the room's reflection a bit more if it's not standing out, and the AR51 kind of does this already but not in a way that sounds hyped. It's a surprisingly natural sounding microphone. It does sound a lot like what I often process a U87 to sound like in a final mix, but at the same time it doesn't at all sound heavily effected.

I don't think I'd want the AR51 as my only vocal mic unless I was only recording one person I knew needed that kind of sound, but it is a PERFECT complement to smoother or darker mics that often need some clearing/brightening up in a mix. I won't be letting go of mine any time soon.

By the way, I'm not someone who just gets excited about every new piece of gear I get. I bought this half expecting to return it in case it was just not smooth enough or too light on low end. I took a chance on it and I'm so glad I did.
Gear Addict

AR51 tube swapping

It makes the difference - Mullard gives a bit subdued highs vs RFT which I've found in my mic.Overall nice microphone with smooth mids ( a bit too smooth for some voices or acc guitars) and a bit too present highs (1.5 DB).
Old 6th November 2014
Here for the gear

I have a Telefunken AR-51. How does the TK67 capsule compare with the CK-12?
📝 Reply