The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I gotta have this guitar tone Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

I gotta have this guitar tone

I know one of you pros can tell me what setup can get this tone. The the intro part but the lower guitar riff. I have a semi hollow body and I dont think its going to get this sound. Im thinking a solid body but thats about the extent of my knowledge. Marshall,pedls,strat?

YouTube - Saigon - The Letter P *instrumental*

YouTube - Just Blaze - Line Em Up Instrumental
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Those guitars don't sound like "live guitars" tracks. They sound like Guitar Rig or something similar.

Good sounds regardless.
Old 19th December 2009
This is a joke thread right? These are pretty lame ass keyboard samples, fairly unconvincingly sequenced ...

Practically any General Midi keyboard will have a clean strat sound, which you can route into a distortion effect of your choice to get a very similar sound. Fairly bright and fizzy ...

One secret to getting sweet dual part lead guitar tones is to use two independant guitar voices with their own distortion FX, and playing each track monophonically. (As opposed to playing the harmony parts on a single instrument track, which can cause the distortion FX to overload).

The tone can be sweetened by adjusting the LPF on the guitar synth before it hits the distortion FX. But these tones in the links above are fairly bright and gritty.
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

regardless if they are real or not, you can get close to that tone by adding a small reverb and distortion together, at least this what i do, i don't play guitar but i think a telecaster will bring a = higher tone a stratocaster = medium tone a Gibson Les Paul = Lower Tone, but this is a very wide generalization, you can pretty much get close to anything on a strat
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Characteristically that is definitely a mid-gain solidstate trEbley kinda tone. You can get very similar by dialing down the bass and gain and using just about any cheapy starter guitar amp. 8" speaker etc. Not saying that to be mean or anything but you could totally nail that tone. The guitar body style won't be nearly as instrumental in getting that tone as the amp/pedal will be. A Boss DS-1 or just about any distortion pedal with any electric guitar should be able to get you into that territory. As others have said guitar rig etc could get you that too.
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
a telecaster will bring a = higher tone a stratocaster = medium tone a Gibson Les Paul = Lower Tone
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
telecaster will bring a = higher tone a stratocaster = medium tone a Gibson Les Paul = Lower Tone,
HAHAHAHA Indeed !!

I don't play the guitar but usually a tele sounds bright to me ? here's what the fender dude said back in 1943 when he BUILD the first ****ing tele, when Fender and his partner, Doc Kauffman, built a crude wooden guitar as a pickup test rig, local country players started asking to borrow it for gigs.. It sounded--- shiny----

same story with the less paul but sounded bassy,
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

this thread is gold!
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

one of the best so far heh
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

That first sample sounds like it has a pitchshifter adding an octave below.
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

What type of amp? marshal or fender?
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Maniac

marshall? fender? smokey amp? most generic guitar tone ever. i could plug my les paul into my espresso machine and it would yield something generically usable.
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep over jack View Post
marshall? fender? smokey amp? most generic guitar tone ever. i could plug my les paul into my espresso machine and it would yield something generically usable.
Hey, that's a pretty good idea...a guitar amp that makes espresso! Patent pending...
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
What type of amp? marshal or fender?
Your not serious--there is no way the in the world your serious. Those are samples played by a 2 year old
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Your not serious--there is no way the in the world your serious. Those are samples played by a 2 year old
Sometimes I feel like a grown man surrounded by highschool egos!
Got time to insult but none to offer any info or suggestions. I have learned that 9 times out of 10 people that think they know it all dont know ****. Not a sample I seen him on a video making it but they didnt show the equipment. Just a quick scene of the player. So keep your childish ego to yourself son.
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep over jack View Post
Generic but I hear dist guitar everyday and I dont hear many I like. But I like this one and Im simply asking for advice to get it. I am not a guitar guru like yourself.
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Maniac

In all seriousness....
You can get those tones with a POD 2.0 and probably Tele or something similar....
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

skiroy, you need to find a really good guitar session player and bass session player.
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
This is a joke thread right? These are pretty lame ass keyboard samples, fairly unconvincingly sequenced ...

Practically any General Midi keyboard will have a clean strat sound, which you can route into a distortion effect of your choice to get a very similar sound. Fairly bright and fizzy ...

One secret to getting sweet dual part lead guitar tones is to use two independant guitar voices with their own distortion FX, and playing each track monophonically. (As opposed to playing the harmony parts on a single instrument track, which can cause the distortion FX to overload).

The tone can be sweetened by adjusting the LPF on the guitar synth before it hits the distortion FX. But these tones in the links above are fairly bright and gritty.
Lame !!
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeMusic View Post
In all seriousness....
You can get those tones with a POD 2.0 and probably Tele or something similar....
I was thinking the exact identical thing about saigon.

It sounds like a tele and some form of Line 6 gear.

The other clip sounds like a cheap casio keyboard from the 80's or something. Not a guitar at all.
Old 22nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I thought the guitar sounds were perfectly fine within the context of the songs that were presented.
Old 22nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Typical GS response. The first track is clearly a real guitar performance, and actually sounds kind of cool in a 70's-tele-through-a-pignose kind of way. The second track is also real guitar, but the phrase has been cut up and played on a keyboard or pad. You wouldn't get the same spanky sound with a General MIDI guitar sound.

Try a tele or maybe a strat on the bridge pick-up run through a practice amp (I love the orange micro crush-- and so do my clients) or a small fender amp. You want the amp to be breaking up (i.e. distorting just a little) but not completely overdriven.

Close mic it. Move the mic around until you hear hissy-iest spot on the speaker-- that's where the tone you're looking for is (though seemingly counter-intuitive, this is a legit trick-- see Butch Vig). You might try off-axis, but with small amps keeping the mic straight-on and close will give a nice proximity effect bump. Keep the reverb off.
Old 22nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I am pretty sure that is a sample of a GTR hit played by a one-finger Mozart on a KYBD.
Wait.... I'm not pretty sure... I am certain.

It sounds like an Open E on a Strat that has been sampled and played across the KYBD.

Go sample a note from a Stevie Ray Vaughan CD.
Old 22nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

my advice if you aren't a guitarist, get a guitarist in and try working with whatever gear you have to get the sound you want. you may even discover something new in the process.

the second track does sound like it has been sampled though if you want that sound you could even try making your own samples just a thought.
Old 22nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
Typical GS response. The first track is clearly a real guitar performance, and actually sounds kind of cool in a 70's-tele-through-a-pignose kind of way. The second track is also real guitar, but the phrase has been cut up and played on a keyboard or pad. You wouldn't get the same spanky sound with a General MIDI guitar sound.

Try a tele or maybe a strat on the bridge pick-up run through a practice amp (I love the orange micro crush-- and so do my clients) or a small fender amp. You want the amp to be breaking up (i.e. distorting just a little) but not completely overdriven.

Close mic it. Move the mic around until you hear hissy-iest spot on the speaker-- that's where the tone you're looking for is (though seemingly counter-intuitive, this is a legit trick-- see Butch Vig). You might try off-axis, but with small amps keeping the mic straight-on and close will give a nice proximity effect bump. Keep the reverb off.
Thankx guys. Hey I like your ear. Your on the money . They are real guitar parts played on a MPC 2000 or 4000. So your right when you say their chopped up. I know if I just wait thru the angry amatuers that I will get good tips from you guys. Thankx again. So my semi hollow body with humbuckers is probably not going to get this sound?
Old 22nd December 2009
Gear Nut

This thread is blowing my mind.

I think it's up there with "how do I DI my vocals?"
Old 22nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know one of you pros can tell me what setup can get this tone. The the intro part but the lower guitar riff. I have a semi hollow body and I dont think its going to get this sound. Im thinking a solid body but thats about the extent of my knowledge. Marshall,pedls,strat?

YouTube - Saigon - The Letter P *instrumental*

YouTube - Just Blaze - Line Em Up Instrumental
DI a Strat and use an ampsim.

The guitar tone is extra dry, very little to no room ambience.

The tone is a little thin, sounds like they were going for a twangy distorted tone.

To be honest this is really about setting it to the right pickups, the right amp sim and the player has to hear all of this in context while they play. The distortion is going to change the player's action so its important that you have your lowest latency to monitor with effects.

You could try running into an amp and taking a feed off the direct out or effects send to the A/D.

I'd say this is either a DI'd recording for the Letter P instrumental or an amp in a isocab.

The beat is pretty bad ass to be honest. I like how have the sound of a tine being played at that cadence so its not really a note per se but a noise. Pretty good NY hip hop beat.

Peace
Illumination
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
So my semi hollow body with humbuckers is probably not going to get this sound?
Well, the semi-hollow might work. Put it on the bridge pick-up, open the tone and volume pots all the way up, and dial up a bright tone on whatever amp you're using. And don't use an amp sim. Get the real ****ty funk. Use an amp and a mic.
Old 23rd December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by riantide View Post
This thread is blowing my mind.

I think it's up there with "how do I DI my vocals?"
I can tell you one way for sure that doesn't work.
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
Well, the semi-hollow might work. Put it on the bridge pick-up, open the tone and volume pots all the way up, and dial up a bright tone on whatever amp you're using. And don't use an amp sim. Get the real ****ty funk. Use an amp and a mic.
I am kind of leaning more in your direction but that guitar sound on The Letter P is EXTRA dry, theres No air in the recording that was the only reason I said amp sim. But with proper gobo treatment etc...you can get a pretty dry recording with a mic'd amplifier.

Peace
Illumination

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search