The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1978 MXR Flanger Other Controllers
Old 16th December 2009
Gear interested

1978 MXR Flanger

any owners here of a vintage MXR Flanger?. i have a problem as i bought a US plug one and i live in Europe. on the back i have wirtten:

105-125 volts AC, 50-60 HZ, 9 ma, 1 watt
210-250 volts AC, 50-60 HZ, 9 ma, 2 watts

Can i operate it with a 230V outlet and just changing the plug to European one? (IMPORTANT: Mine came with a US plug, but im not sure if i can use the transformer in EU too)

Thanks in advance!
Old 16th December 2009
Gear interested

bump
Old 16th December 2009
Gear interested

bump
Old 16th December 2009
member no 666

There may be a jumper or a switch to flip the voltage for EU operation. It may be located inside the unit. If there is, then flip the switch [or move the jumper] and change the end on the power cable. If there isn't a switch or a jumper go to a hardware store and buy a "220 to 110v step down transformer". They are readily available. Any of them that can handle a "blow dryer" will be able to handle your Flanger without a struggle.

Peace.
Old 17th December 2009
Gear interested

what i dont understand is y there written the the Europe range too
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterocker View Post
what i dont understand is y there written the the Europe range too
As Fletcher said it might be because there's an internal jumper inside the unit to switch to either US or EU current requirement. As this is an old unit (right?) I don't think it could have a automatic sensor power supply as found in some more recent equipement.
Old 17th December 2009
Gear interested

Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterocker View Post
yep its an old unit :D i dont see any jumpers if im not missing it somewhere.

These are the shematics if it can help

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...germ117_22.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...germ117_12.jpg

Ah btw were there is that space taht says: See Note 1, abour VR1.. there stand the transformer. myabe VR1 has to do something with is? it says its a regulator. for what?
In doubt I will use a step dowm transformer! or get a tech to have a look at it...
Old 17th December 2009
Gear interested

i already ordered one... but it would be more comforable to plug directly than to always carry the external transformer. but better be on the safe side. though i really want to know what taht VR1 is.
Old 18th December 2009
Riv
Gear Maniac

VR-1 is just the voltage regulator. It's irrelevant to the issue.

The issue is the transformer itself. If it doesn't have a switch it might have the provision to be jumpered right on the transformer for 240V operation.

You really need some further information before proceeding, but you can probably verify whether the transformer is capable of being used as a 240V unit by looking at the transformer itself.

How many terminals are on the transformer primary? If there are 4 terminals and some of them have been wired together it would indicate that it can be configured for 240V.

The primary, BTW, is the side of the transformer that is connected to the power cord/fuse/power switch.

-Riv
Old 18th December 2009
Gear interested

I just emailed Dunlop.

Here's what they said:
---------------------------------------
Dunlop Tech: Hi Peter,

There are most likely two transformers on the circuit. If so you can have it wired to work with 220V. I would recommend having an experienced technician verify that it is wired correctly before plugging it in otherwise you could definitely cause damage to the circuit.

Cheers,
Derek

Me: so i'll have to re wire it to the other transformer?

It’s more complicated than that. You will need to run the two transformers together. If you have an amp tech they should be able to set it up.

Cheers,
Derek

Me: ahh i think i understood. makin them series aiding?

Exactly…I can’t remember how they are set up but yes they either need to be in parallel or series to achieve the correct output voltage.

Cheers,
Derek
-------------------------------------

Now I know that i have to join 2 primary coils 110v + 110V (me thinks) and series obviously. I cant actually see the transformer cause its under the PCB... even when I unscrew the PCB frm the case there is the AC power cord stuck with the box. do you know how to remove this type of connection with the box?

Old 18th December 2009
Gear Head

ditto on the above. that thing's gonna pop if you put 230v in it (well the circuit in that diagram anyway). Step down transformer is the way forward for now.

If you love that unit and want long term use and convenience, you could probably find someone handy to replace the power supply in it. If it were mine, I'd look here for a suitable p/s and retro fit it in the box (if possible):

Power Supply Selector Guide

(I know there's plenty of other suppliers but I am familiar with their power supplies)

A unit like the GT-21096 series would do the job - though you'll still need to do a bit of work to adapt it. At least this would give you an auto-sensing 110/230v modification that works worldwide. (oh and put some thought into shielding p/s noise or maybe put it in a bigger chassis so you can get more distance from the main board).
Old 18th December 2009
Gear interested

Hey thanks for the help!

I think i'de better use it with a step down transformer for now to be on the safe side. its already on order so soon ill be flanging with this box heh. maybe in a near future ill do somethin with the inside transformer
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear interested

Hi, I got the same problem which is not really a problem cause I knew that I would need a step down transformer... anyway I got a MXR Flanger/Doubler from the USA thumbsup and I don't know what is the wattage on the back ,it is wirtten:

Power 105 - 125 volts AC, 50 - 60 Hz,50MA,5.8 Watts.

so,is the wattage 5.8? so I will just need a small transformer?(like one for hair dryer for exemple) 5.8 watts seems low to me...stike

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martial View Post
Hi, I got the same problem which is not really a problem cause I knew that I would need a step down transformer... anyway I got a MXR Flanger/Doubler from the USA thumbsup and I don't know what is the wattage on the back ,it is wirtten:

Power 105 - 125 volts AC, 50 - 60 Hz,50MA,5.8 Watts.

so,is the wattage 5.8? so I will just need a small transformer?(like one for hair dryer for exemple) 5.8 watts seems low to me...stike

Thanks in advance for your help.
Just use a small wall-wart style one rated at say 20 watts or more.

A hairdryer is about 1000-2000 watts by the way.

P.S the MXR grey pedal flanger has no internal option to switch to 220..you have to use a step-down xformer.
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear interested

Thank you Space Station for your answer,

so it is really 5.8 watts? that is wiered cause I had an XXL Peavey amp which needed a 500watts step down transformer...

I'm bit confused,it is like even less than a normal guitar pedal...

Thank you
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Most guitar pedals draw 30-50 mAmps at 9v DC=.45 watts. The biggest AC/DC power supplies out there supply 1w total, so it's actually quite unlikely that the Flanger/Doubler actually DRAWS 5.8w, but your power supply should provide that much for safety sake. That said, most 110v convertors put out WAY more than 5.8w, so you're good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search