The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
not making any moves w/o you slutz
Old 5th October 2005
Here for the gear

not making any moves w/o you slutz

Thank god I asked you guys first before I got that crappy ($1500) console. I got a Vintech X73 and it is already paying off.

So now I am in another position of purchasing... Analog or Digital

The question is: Should I get a 2,4,8 Track; 1/4", 1/2", 1" tape OR upgrade my MBOX to DIGI002?

Right now [at home] I am tracking into CubaseSX2 via MOTU1224.

Other gear includes:
UAD1 - Project + LA2A + 1176
VintechX73
Bellarri 509 (mod'ed)
RNC
MXL V69
Oktava 219
AT4040
Old 5th October 2005
Lives for gear

As an 002 user, can I ask why you don't want to upgrade to SX3 and maybe get better converters, like an Apogee Mini Me or a Mytek?
Old 5th October 2005
Lives for gear

I don't think you will hear a big difference between Mbox and digi002. If you need more ins and outs then it might the ticket. But soundwise you're not going to go and scream hallelujah.

You're so right about putting the money where it matters, so may I suggest a great pair of monitors if you don't have them.
Old 5th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAaron

The question is: Should I get a 2,4,8 Track; 1/4", 1/2", 1" tape OR upgrade my MBOX to DIGI002?
AT4040

get in debt, by an A827 2" tape recorder, if that's too crazy get a 1" - 8 track.............
if you actually have both formats on which to record...........you'll find that the
tape sounds really great, and other one is.....eh?..............even if you have to put
it in the box afterwords............tape is the best avenue of getting there, imo.........
i don't think this will be any different 5 years from now, as 40 year old tape
sounds better than 2003 pro tools...........

be well

- jack
Old 5th October 2005
Lives for gear

As cool as tape sounds (esp for drums), when you learn exactly what its doing to the signal you can attain similar results using various processing on material recorded digitally.

You can even run the digitally recorded material through a tape machine for the most authentic affect, but I usually find it easier to use DSP.

Does it sound exactly like tape? No. Only tape sounds like tape.

But digital can sound really, really close to analog if you know how to process it.

But, the continual maintenance, and various "vagaries" associated with tape machines and tape as a storage medium, are significant enough that I can't personally endorse tape for smaller studios who do not have a full time tech.

If its done right with all high end gear and proper engineering, 100% analog recordings (tracking + mixing) are pretty unbeatable in terms of sheer sonics.

And its fun.

Its just not very practical for most of us. For Jack, it is.

For you, and most people, I would recommend getting a nice converter, like the Apogee Rosetta 200, a Presonus Central Station to monitor with, some new monitors like Dynaudio BM6As, a decent subwoofer (BX9A is a good match with BM6s) and a nice new mic, maybe a Peluso or Soundeluxe.

Going from an Mbox to a Digi002 is a crossgrade, not an upgrade.

This will probably do the most for you in terms of improving your sonics, and its a lot more practical than getting a tape machine, despite how cool they are.

Old 6th October 2005
Here for the gear

Thanks for your replys fellas.

Right now I have a client who is in love with tracking to tape and that is why I am thinking about adding it to my home mix.

After reading over and over about the importance of the converters, I want to add a converter soon, but is the mini-me really what I want? Will that complement my Rosetta when I can get one?

Or will the mini-me be my next MBox? Meaning - I bought the MBox to mix PT projects at home, and the thing has pretty much been useless... and lost most of it's value.
Old 6th October 2005
More cowbell!

I wouldnt bother with tape unless you really plan on becoming a retail, full service recording studio. If you are making demos, home projects, services for yourself and friends, and some local bros, then don't bother. If you are truly gonna open an all out studio, I can still think of a hundred other things you need first :-)
Old 6th October 2005
Lives for gear

Id upgrade to a better version of cubase or nuendo. get a good converter and a summing box.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search