The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RCA 74b
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Maniac

RCA 74b

Hey all, just acquired an RCA 74b on indefinte loan and was wondering how fragile these are. My friend who lent it to me said he just got it re-ribboned and not to be to scared of it. I don't have much ribbon experience and don't want to fuck it up but this thing sounds great on gtr amps. From what I've gathered they are pretty tough. Anyone have much expeience with these mics?
Thanks
-Scotty
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

As with all ribbons its really wind velocity that kills them. They can handle very high spl but will die in a second with a good gust of wind near a kick drum or outside. Be careful with wind and store it upright if you can and it will be fine.
Frost
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Frost
Be careful with wind and store it upright if you can and it will be fine.
Frost
Hi Frost:

Knew about the wind, but should I be storing my Royer 121 in an upright position? Wouldn't one think if there was a significant advantage the manufacturer wouldn't have designed their wooden storage case with a horizontal orientation, as Royer did?

Still, I could always prop it up between two other cases so it sits vertically...
Anyone else think this would be a worthy endeavor?
Old 21st May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog

Anyone else think this would be a worthy endeavor?
I don't worry about it with my ribbons;. I don't even have real cases for my 77's or the 74B; I just lay tem gently in boxes in the mic closet.
Old 22nd May 2003
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I also know of the fragile state of most ribbons but was wondering about the 74b in particular. Someone I know, who may or may not know better, said they were a little tougher than "usual".
Just thought I'd ask you guys who I'm pretty sure would know better
I have mine stored in a Crown Royal velvet bag
Thanks again
-Scotty
Old 23rd May 2003
urumita

I've been using my pair for 7 years and before me someone was using them for a lot longer. They haven't changed in my experience with them. I use them for room, harmonica, 50's sounding vox (pop or opera)(pop screen, nylon with the seams) or guitars. Lots of mids, even honky, 12 string acoustic, good lows, hi end is attenuated but clean, perfect for dist. gtr. but I've never used it like that (I like to dog house dist. gtr. with an LD DPA Omni) most of the time my "room" is the end listeners room, hence the dog house.
I always thought that my 74's were JV's (junior velocity) and not 'b's. maybe they're different mics..
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Addict

This isn't really 74b-specific, but the guideline I was told by Stephan Sank, who restores RCA mics for a living, was "don't put it anywhere you wouldn't put your ear."

You can also hear a ribbon start to stretch well before it's in danger of snapping, so if it starts to sound like crap on a loud source, that might be a clue that you want to pull it back a bit.

I'm not so sure about the distinction between SPL and "wind", by the way. They're both movements of air, when you get right down to it, which is why you can feel a breeze off a speaker cabinet just like you can off a bass drum.
Old 22nd March 2013
Gear Head

CROWN ROYAL !!!
also using them for protecting my mikes
thumbs up !!!
Old 16th June 2017
Here for the gear

No it's not. The passing of vibration between molecules is different to air movement.
Old 11th February 2020
Here for the gear

I was advised to put a ziplock bag over mine while taking it out, carrying it around, etc. I usually put my hand in between the source and the microphone to make sure I don’t feel any wind. I’m not pro mind you. But I was told that by someone much more knowledgeable than me.
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear

They're not 4038's... sturdy for sure, but keep in mind they're ribbons. FOK mic, close proximity, ported front skin? Popfilter won't hurt. Bass amp with port blowing toward your 74? Use a popfilter. As a rule, If you feel air on your hand, use a popfilter. With high SPL sources it won't affect S/N ratio enough to be noticeable. One problem though is the direct coupling to the mic stand. Float the mic stand if you can (ie. neoprene pads to iso the mic stand from the floor), it'll keep the low end tight and clean.
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear

Re: storage: vertically, if left alone for years... but on a mic stand over a drumkit during a weekend, no worries. Do fit some sort of cover/protection on the mic(s) during down time to avoid, again, air movement blowing the ribbon. In small, air-tight studio room, all it takes is one door slam sometimes.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear