The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recording cell phone conversation
Old 14th December 2009
Here for the gear

recording cell phone conversation

I am looking for a phone patch solution.

My studio is not currently equipped with a land line, so a traditional phone patch is not an option.

I need to record a conversation between a client in the studio, and a person they are talking to on a cell phone.

The small amount of research I've done so far tells me that a patch cable is not only the least eloquent, but least desirable solution due to EMI that seems to be inherent to all cellphones.

I've seen some bluetooth receivers that are designed to transmit audio from your computer or bluetooth equipped device to your stereo receiver, and I'm wondering if they would work with a cellphone. I assume that they have a typical output, like an 1/8" mini-jack or stereo RCA's, but I'm wondering if anyone has had success pairing a phone to them. People say that their computer shows the bluetooth reciever as "wireless headphones" and that makes me worried that you can't pair a phone with it.

If anyone has messed around with this, please let me know!

thanks!!
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Call one of those spy stores
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

do you work for TMZ?

Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Just make the call. Then call the CIA. They will probably have it on file....

Old 14th December 2009
Gear Head

Do the parties know they are being recorded? I would be mindful of wire-tapping laws in your jurisdiction.
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

If it's for effect just record them talking regularly. Then cut the lows and highs on one end and lower the volume a bit to create a telephone effect.

...unless you're spying. tutt
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Most if not all modern phoines have a voice recorder utility built into the phone, sometimes it has its own button on the side.

Or sometimes it's built into the actual service provider's website, so you ring a trigger number then the actual number, and the resulting conversation is recorded to the server.

In either case, the file will be a fairly high quality mp3 or aac or whatever the phone uses.

Just check the phone manual and you shoudl be able to record direct there, then transfer the file to the daw.
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post

Yeah, there used to be one down Old Kent Road, not sure if its there anymore though.
Old 15th December 2009
Here for the gear

thanks everybody.

just so we're clear, i'm not spying or pulling a Lynda Tripp haha.

I have a client that wants to do training material for his staff, and he wants to do a monthly downloadable mp3 of a conversation between himself and a successful business owner. Obviously most of the interviewees won't be local, hence the phone interview. they will be totally aware of what they are participating in.

I'd prefer to record into the session file rather than record to the phone and bump it over, or use an internet service, etc.

If anyone has anymore ideas (especially something bluetooth haha) let me know!!

thanks again!!
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I haven't used it personally, but I'm sure you could easily rig up something using this or a program similar to it.

You may not have control over what phone/interface the receiving end of the call is using, but if you have the option on your end to use voip-->decent interface-->decent microphone instead of a cell phone as an interface then why not?
Old 15th December 2009
Deleted User
Do a 3 way call, and record the output from the headset jack on the 3rd phone.

I suggest using the instrument inputs on front of a a Presonus ADL 600 pre. The high voltage rails really seem to have a nice round quality that matches the tone of CDMA. Make sure to record in stereo to catch the proper ambience that 3G technology provides.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Put the phone on speaker and record it with a mic?
Old 15th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
I was gonna say, hire the hero of Burn Notice, he seems to be able to use a soldering iron and some tweezers to get a cell phone to do just about anything.
Old 15th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by machineintel View Post
I haven't used it personally, but I'm sure you could easily rig up something using this or a program similar to it.

You may not have control over what phone/interface the receiving end of the call is using, but if you have the option on your end to use voip-->decent interface-->decent microphone instead of a cell phone as an interface then why not?
Yeah... that Skype recorder is great. It records the incoming on one stereo side and the user to the other stereo side. Perfect for phone interviews.

But it's Skype and you have to be on the net. And if you want to talk to someone on a mobile or landline phone, you have to use a Skype-out call. (Skype-out calls are really cheap but they're not free.)

(As others note, there could be various 3 way telcon approaches, easy enough -- although in that case both incoming voices would be on one channel.)

Either my old phone company or my cable company (they all run together at a certain point) called me up just about begging me to get a package or phone service add-on and every "but" they threw at me was answered by "the internet," "my mobile," or, more specifically, Skype.

Phone co's...
jeez. I used to be an AT&T stockholder when "The Texans" (the former SBC, or Southwestern Bell) extended control over the last few former Baby Bells in play and I watched as The Texans squeezed and squeezed the brains and blood out of that company. The Texans achieved their position through a reputation for ruthless deal making -- but they couldn't run a company in the 21st century to save their hides.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

I know you said you'd prefer to record directly into your session, but in case nothing else pans out, most of the commercial conference call services have a "record call" option. You could have both parties call in, do their conversation, and then download the file from the conference call service. It may be that your client already uses one of these services, if they have a lot of employees in different locations.

Good luck!
Old 15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
But it's Skype and you have to be on the net. And if you want to talk to someone on a mobile or landline phone, you have to use a Skype-out call. (Skype-out calls are really cheap but they're not free.)
The fees are most likely comparable to the same ones you'd get using a cell or landline, if not less.

If you're at all serious about getting a quality recording of the call, this is the way to go I think. Find a program that gives you a .wav directly to your hdd. Don't mess around with strange cabling/bluetooth/cellphone mp3 recording/headphone outputs....
Old 2nd November 2010
Here for the gear

for record phone conversation you can use Skype ,for it try use TalkAide for Skype .it's cool prog
Old 2nd November 2010
Here for the gear

Google Voice allows you to record your phone calls and save them as wave files. www.Google.com/voice
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

Chipping in for further reference... there's an exciting and fairly new (as far as I know) unit from Glensound called GS-MPI004, it's basically a digital cell phone hybrid and mic preamp that lets you record a mobile phone conversation in really high quality. Battery powered, looks pretty interesting. SIM card goes right into the unit. Don't know what the interference will do for the rest of your audio chain though...

Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

JK Audio

These look fun

Matti

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search