The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrade Choices Studio Monitors
Old 13th December 2009
Deleted 86c3d96
Upgrade Choices

I have a nifty little hobby home studio. I will never use this for commercial purposes. It is my own personal time and money sink that strides toward elegance.

At the center of this financial singularity is a Mac Pro Octo/Apogee Ensemble/Dynaudio BM5.

I am interested in upgrading some stuff, and I don't want to spend money twice. I kind of want to keep the Ensemble, it does some nice things, but I want to augment it.

The simple thing seems to be buying a Lynx Aurora 8, a lunch box with two API 512c, and upgrade my monitors to the BM6a. I could (for now) just hook the Lynx to the ADAT i/o on the Ensemble, and then work up from there (AES PCIe card).

However, a second route might be to buy an API A2D, and a Big Ben.

I may want to do surround for the fun of it. Is there anything wrong with buying three BM6a, and using my existing pair of BM5a for the rear surron channels?

Last question: Waves has this kick ass deal. I already have 2 UAD-1 cards with various plugs. (I have the Precision mastering bundles, the reverbs, some compressors, EQ's, Roland, etc.). I wouldn't mind having some nice native plugs for recording. The Gold bundle looks nice. Maybe the SSL bundle. Any suggestions there?

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search