The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase users, how do i do this..
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

Cubase users, how do i do this..

Hey guys, got my cubase 5 a couple of days ago and loving it..I used Logic untill now and I am trying to figure out the creating of auxes system in cubase.

basically if I wanted to do this

YouTube - Mixing Drums - Cleaner Snare

How would I go about it? in logic its really easy to create aux's and route stuff around,yet it looks to me (correct me if i'm wrong) that you use 'group' tracks as other daw's use auxiliaries ,except fx tracks of course-is that right?

thanks guys, MC
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Nut

Create a group channel with C1 Gate and a FX channel with IR.
Prefade send the drum to Group.
Then in group channel, send to FX channel.
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

thanks man, thats great!, I did it using fx tracks for both, however the gate increases the volume of the snare,not sure why?-so I'll try it on a group track as you said..

MC
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

why does the volume of the original track increase when doing this?

also, when you mute say the vocal,that has a delay on it, why does the delay mute also?!

thanks, MC
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

in fact when I mute the snare direct signal, both the gate track and reverb mute also-what am I doing wrong? I set the sends to prefader..

MC
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

When you mute a channel you mute its sends also, pull down the fader instead.

Matti
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

you need to setup your control room and use the "L" button (listen) rather than soloing to listen to the effects by themself. it does not work like an analog console.
go through your manual and research the control room. cubase.net will probably have some good info too, so search there.
sorry, i'm not smart enough to tell you how to do it myself.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

It works far more like a console than most other daws. The sends muting when you mute the source channel is behaviour that you can switch on and off in preferences, btw.

In cubase - groups are exactly as they should be - for sub groups.

There are no preset aux destinations obviously as everyone has different i/o hardware, so for me it makes sense to just have sends on each channel as normal and you choose where they want to go, either straight to a hard output, to a subgroup channel, or to an fx channel.
No one in the real world calls aux sends 'aux channels' so I never understood why they would use that terminlogy in a daw, just makes things more confusing.

Everything can be routed anywhere in the latest cubase, with the exception that feedback loops are not directly permitted, (but you can still set those up).

Good luck and have fun
Old 13th December 2009
Gear Addict

thanks guys, appreciate the input!

The muting thing is a little confusing as Logic doesn't work this way..i'd like to be able to 'solo safe' the fx and group channels also, so that I can hear what they are doing on there own..

also, in the original post example, how come the aux track with the gate does not increase the volume, yet when I try this using group tracks, it raises the level of the snare also?

thanks, MC
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Check Elvis Christ's comment on the control room mixer and the 'Listen' function for hearing the fx channels in isolation (for fx on a soloed track).
I'm not that familiar with C5 so have not used the listen function before, it doesn't exist in sx2.

As for the volume thing, just remember what's going on with the routing.

Your original track's post-fader output is going to the mixbuss.
If you send to a group with a gate, and that group's output is also routed to the mixbuss, and the send is at unity, and the source channel and group faders are also still at unity, you are going to have double the amount of signal present at the mixbuss than you did before!

So, set source to send pre-fader to a group with the gate inserted.
Don't send from the group though!
The group channel's output is set to the input of the reverb fx channel. Then you link the source track channel fader with the group track fader.
Now when you move the source track's fader, you are getting perfect correllation between original and gated dry and wet.

The reason the source track is set pre-fade is that if it wasn't, when you adjusted the level of the source track in the mix, it would affect the reaction of the gate.

Also I should apologise for my sloppy explanation of the aux terminology before. What I meant was, that in cubase it makes more sense to me, because an aux send in the analogue world is hardwired to an auxiliary output, not a 'channel'. The auxiliary return on the other hand, is defined as a channel in the normal sense.

Hope that helps a bit more, I'm learning myself so hopefully I didn't screw that explanation up heh
Old 13th December 2009
Gear Addict

man,thanks so much, that totally makes sense!

MC
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Thank god heh
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

"The sends muting when you mute the source channel is behaviour that you can switch on and off in preferences, btw."
Didn´t know, now do -Thanks!

Matti
Old 13th December 2009
Gear Addict

thanks Matti, yep I saw an older post where you had gotten the answer-it was preferences ,vst, mute sends

MC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search