The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oktava mini tube? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Oktava mini tube?

Hi,

anyone tried those new mini tube amplifiers for 100 series capsules?
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Up.

Anyone? They have been out for a year now but it's really hard to find any info about them besides what's on oktava.online. Anyone heard/used them?

The tube inside must be really small,
do you think these mini tubes are any good even in theory?

Sincerely,

Pasarski
Old 15th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Yes, I have tried the Oktava mini-tube and it's very good. The tube design is based on the Lomo 19a13. I think the sales have been slow because they are priced around $650.00 and do not come with a capsule.

-Milt
(mkp27 on ebay)
Old 22nd January 2010
Lives for gear

I am curious to hear more about the mini tube also. I hope they drop the price. I'd like to hear more info on how these sound with all of the Oktava capsules.

I'd be interested in how it sounds paired with a MJE-K47H from Oktava Mod. Once he's got those ready to roll out.
From Oktavamod's website: "
NOTE: Does not fit Oktava MK-012 body. I am working on a version for this mic, stay tuned!"
Old 13th October 2010
Gear Maniac

i've got one for sale... check the classifieds
Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 View Post
I am curious to hear more about the mini tube also. I hope they drop the price. I'd like to hear more info on how these sound with all of the Oktava capsules.

I'd be interested in how it sounds paired with a MJE-K47H from Oktava Mod. Once he's got those ready to roll out.
From Oktavamod's website: "
NOTE: Does not fit Oktava MK-012 body. I am working on a version for this mic, stay tuned!"
Oktava's prices only continue to rise! They just put through a 10% increase so I wouldn't expect the mini tube to drop in price.

re: MJE-K47H for '012 bodies - I intended to have it out by now. But my aftermarket mods to the Rode NT1a, Apex 460 and Nady TCM-1050 (on top of my earlier Oktava and MXL mods) plus building my standard MJE-K47H for popular 22mm SDC bodies has eaten into my new product R&D time.
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

A few years later and although Michael's not on here anymore he's finally got that capsule working with the 012 bodies. Word on the street is that is has a serious u67 flavor.

So? Who's gonna be the first to try it with the Oktava mini tube body and fill us in. If I had the scratch handy I'd just take the plunge myself. Yet again I have high hopes.

Cheers!
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A few years later and although Michael's not on here anymore he's finally got that capsule working with the 012 bodies. Word on the street is that is has a serious u67 flavor.

So? Who's gonna be the first to try it with the Oktava mini tube body and fill us in. If I had the scratch handy I'd just take the plunge myself. Yet again I have high hopes.

Cheers!

A U-47 capsule that sounds like a U-67??
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

That's what the word is so far yeah. Try doing a search on Gearslutz. You can also check Oktavamod's website also.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkp27 View Post
A U-47 capsule that sounds like a U-67??
Yeah. In a transformerless, tubeless body. Don't ask me how. maybe he made a deal with the devil or something..... I have a pair and I'm wishing I still had my lachapelle's for a nice tube preamp, but all SS here right now. Even then, sounds EXCELLENT. Right in the 67 voicing. There's clips on the oktavamod site if you're interested . BTW, he did something different with the capsule on this capsulehead....
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

So DrBill - you not willing to try getting one of these Oktava mini-tube bodies and test drive the theory that it might be even closer to a U67 sound?
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
So DrBill - you not willing to try getting one of these Oktava mini-tube bodies and test drive the theory that it might be even closer to a U67 sound?
Oh, I'm more than WILLING. heh I've got other places to spend my money right now though. I'm in compressor purgatory right now. Revamping, and doing that thing. Maybe the only thing more expensive than buying mics.

But if someone wants to let me use their tube 012 body, I'll give it a whirl. Until then, I'm MORE than happy with these. They do not have "tube mojo" but they are firmly in the 67 camp, and in a few instances I've heard, interchangeable with extremely minimal sound differences.

Today, they are going on Guitar amps. Baritone Elec.....
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Oh, I'm more than WILLING. heh I've got other places to spend my money right now though. I'm in compressor purgatory right now. Revamping, and doing that thing. Maybe the only thing more expensive than buying mics.

But if someone wants to let me use their tube 012 body, I'll give it a whirl. Until then, I'm MORE than happy with these. They do not have "tube mojo" but they are firmly in the 67 camp, and in a few instances I've heard, interchangeable with extremely minimal sound differences.

Today, they are going on Guitar amps. Baritone Elec.....
Sweet.

If at all possible it'd be great to hear real world examples.. Perhaps when the project is done you can reference us to where we can hear them and what they were used for. Understand if you're too busy obviously. Good luck with your compressor searching.

You do a lot of DIY no? I've been eyeballing the JLM LA500 kit. Reviews and samples I've heard sound promising, and you can't beat that price if you're willing to solder.

So anyone out there actually tried these Oktava Mini-Tube bodies with any capsule? Care to share?

Cheers.
Old 4th April 2013
Here for the gear

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'd love to hear a sample as well. I remember someone asking MJ about this on his FB page not too long ago. He didn't give any details as to the sonic differences between it and the head on a standard 012 body, just that it would sound "awesome."

Michael also hinted at making an 012 mini-tube of his own, but gave no timeframe.
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashmanguitar View Post
Michael also hinted at making an 012 mini-tube of his own, but gave no timeframe.
No apologies needed. I don't want this thread to die untill we've got some more info on this. I'd be very excited about that MJ 012 mini-tube myself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search