The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rick Rubin
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Rick Rubin

I see he's now working with both Neil Diamond and Dixie Chicks sessions. THIS should make for some interesting new recordings.
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear
The last Dixie Chicks CD was pretty damn good. Interesting to see what he does with them.
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

I can't wait to hear what he does With Mr. Diamond!
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

I read that Rick never turns a knob. Any of you slutz confirm this? I am a huge fan.
Old 3rd October 2005

I know a guy in LA who did most of his engineering. He's a real cool dude, don't know if he wants to be known though...
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
I read that Rick never turns a knob. Any of you slutz confirm this? I am a huge fan.
Rick will be the first to tell you he is not a techie; nor is he big on music theory. He is a fan of music, passionate about artists and great performances, and plays the role of coach/motivator/project oversee-er, delegating the technical details to others. As I understand he is also a great guy to work for.

I want to be like Rick when I grow up.
Old 3rd October 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Dominant
fan of music, passionate about artists and great performances, and plays the role of coach/motivator/project oversee-er, delegating the technical details to others.
that, in my eyes, is what a producer should be.

big up to rick, he has always been diverse in his musical pursuits. from beastie boys and run dmc to slayer. he has been doing it since the begininning.
Old 3rd October 2005
Gear Guru

hell yea, i love Rick Rubin!
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
My buddy has engineered many records for Rick and I remember a phone call he once took from him.
Rick said "I have Johnny Cash here and he wants to record some stuff, how do I set up an 1176?"
My friend quickly gave him some advice and hung up.
After he said Rick is a true music listener, and that's why he's such a great producer.
He comes purely from a fans perspective.
I heard stories about him playing old Stones records for Mick Jagger and explainng to him "This is why people like you".
That's awesome.

I've also heard stories of him getting the ball rolling on a session (after explaining the main objective) and then leaving saying "well I guess this thing's pretty much on auto-pilot, see you later."
Great producer.
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm really impressed by the diversity in his roster. I love to hear theses stories. He's the man!
Old 3rd October 2005
Gear Addict

I'm more interested to hear the new Ours album. Jimmy Gnecco's got an absolutely amazing voice, and his new songs sound spectacular.
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

don't know how much of a tech guy he is, but he sure has preferences... like close micing and older neves and studio spaces. apparently he once had an assistant take a snare drum to every studio in the area and record single hits, to find what space he liked best...

i read somewhere that he just takes a lot of rest on the couch but somehow has his finger on the pulse. and he is a self proclaimed 'fan' of music, which according to him is his biggest strength.

self.
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

There was a long interview in the last Rolling Stone with Rick Ruben... It's pretty informative.
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

which RS issue #? I must have missed it.
Old 3rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
which RS issue #? I must have missed it.

#983 with the Stones on the Cover.

I just think he gets people to try things several different ways then chooses the best... Didn't richard Dodd say he asked him to mix the Tom Petty song at every studio in LA and see which one he liked the most? I think they do the same for mastering too....

" I have no technical ability whatsoever. I just know if I like something or not." RR
Old 4th October 2005
Gear Nut

I remember Danzig telling a story about how he would call the studio from the beach and say "How's my record coming" ...Didnt see him for weeks at a time
Old 4th October 2005
Gear Nut

he's got a fantatstic nasty beard. i wish i could grow such a magnificent nasty beard but i have one spot where no hair ever grows so a beard on me would look stoopid.
Old 4th October 2005
Gear Maniac

...and it would probably look stupid too.

-Christian
Old 4th October 2005
Lives for gear

You should hear Angus Young go off on Rick R. The guy is pretty much known as a jerk off who simply gets his name on the CD. **** him.
Old 4th October 2005
Lives for gear

I don't know what to think about Rick Rubin. He's done some albums that I love, and some albums that I loathe. I've heard some good and bad things about him personally. I have nothing against the guy though. Given the chance to work with him, I probably wouldn't...unless it was the only way I could get a record out...and even then I'd be really uncomfortable.
Old 4th October 2005
Gear Addict

I've heard all the stories about Rubin "producing" sessions over the phone, and it's such a prevalent tale that it has to be true in some cases. I was working at Oceanway (the east side that later became Cello) in late 1995 in the big room while Rubin was producing AC/DC's Ballbreaker in the back room. Mike Fraser mixed and I think engineered it. It seemes to me that Rubin was all about the great take. We would show up every day at 11 or noon and AC/DC would already be there every day- laying it down. It was so inspiring. It was the first record w/Phil Rudd back in the band. They had about 100 reels of tape in the hallway, and would just be jamming away on a groove forever, kicking ass. Angus may have bad things to say about him, but BALLBREAKER is the surely the best AC/DC record made after '82 or so. Rubin deserves a lot of credit for that.

Let's see what he does w/the dixie Chicks and Neil diamond.

-Mike
Old 4th October 2005
Gear Nut

I'm engineering a record right now for Lloyd Maines who produced the last dixie chicks record, and I was very suprised when he said that rubin is producing the new one. Should be VERY interesting because Lloyd is very hands on with his production, for the most part. Ironically, this project reminds me of the rubin style of production in that Lloyd's around for like 4 of the 11 days the band is in the studio, and left the rest up to me and the band. What a great coach, though. I'll try to get some stories about him going out to play on the new record. He seemed pretty into the new direction they're taking, but then again, it's his daughter's band, so he'd better like it. heh
btw, anybody else think that some of willy show's mannerisms from the mixerman chronicles were inspired by rick rubin?

Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio
Old 4th October 2005
Here for the gear

My impressions: introverted--but a very kind guy. Genuine smile and quiet gravitas. Gave and got respect. All ears. Not about ego games. Focused but not tense. Pretty zen.

I could see why some kinds of artists would love his style. Very conducive to trust and creativity and finding the song.
Old 4th October 2005

Rick just sent me a client for vocal coaching. The guy said he was praising my work in the studio. I've never met him. Very weird - yet intense!
Old 4th October 2005
Lives for gear

One of my favorite records R.R. did was the Red Devils 'King King'. Great band, great bar, and Lester Butler was such a great frontman. Too bad he's not still around. It's not a record that breaks any new ground or anything, but it's a nice beer-soaked run through some old songs.
Old 5th October 2005
Mark Gifford
I think "Wildfllowers" is one of the best albums ever made, so he's jake, in my book.

MG
Old 5th October 2005
Gear Guru

I recorded Johnny Cash for Rick a while back..
He wasn't really interested in any tech stuff at all.
just the emotion/performance stike
Old 5th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
I recorded Johnny Cash for Rick a while back..
He wasn't really inerested in any tech stuff at all.
just the emotion/performance stike

Dude what a killer gig that must have been!
Old 5th October 2005
Lives for gear

JOHNNY CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

THAT MUTHAF*#%@%ER

RICK RUBIN's BEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT MUTHAF*#%@%ER

i love alot of stuff that he gets credit for. i hope he actually does it.
Old 5th October 2005
Here for the gear

I read an interview with him in the Onion. Sounded like he was totally on the level. He walked away from Def Jam records probably because he was a white dude and at the time Simmons and other black artists really wanted a rap label to be black owned. At least, that was the impression I got. He said, if he walked away he'd still be friends with Simmons and he did. Sounds like he chose good karma over money which earns big kudos.

(just my interpretation, wasn't there)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search