The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U87 or SF12 for overhead
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

U87 or SF12 for overhead

I've been using the Shure KSM32 as overhead and i'm very satisfied so far.
I'm looking for something better and since i can't really test drive these products, i would like to get some opinion from you guys.
My decision boils down to either a pair of U87 or the Royer SF12. I will be using them with my dakings Pre/EQ. Thanks.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Guru

the royer's are great mic's...i have been using a royer 121 out in front of rack toms about 3-4 feet and a coles 4038 about 3-4 feet slightly behind and above the floor tom and no overheads...fat sound ... cymbals work out just fine as the coles picks up the ride just fine being above a bit...saw it like that at cello studios one time and if you have the room it works great...i really don't have that much room and it iis fine... royers are cool sounding...so is the coles though....try both and see what you like...

peace john
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

I suppose it depends on the room a bit. The royer is pretty flat in frequency response while the U87 is a bit brighter.
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

I've been very impresssed with the SF-12 on overhead. Of course the room and the style of music will be big factors. For jazz, blues, roots-rock and other styles that call for a more natural sound on the drumkit, I have yet to find anything I like better.

Scott
Old 20th May 2003
Ribbons on overheads are a very acquired taste. I have many friends who love them in that application. Personally I find them, in that specific application, to be more of a specialized sonic effect than a "meat and potatoes" (or tofu and hummus, depending on your dietary intake) kind of thing. The ribbons will most likely require a high end boost, and perhaps a little cut @ 1k to make things sound like what most people view as a traditional sound. But again, some people prefer that exact sound. I personally prefer condensers on overheads, but the U87, although not a bad microphone, is not going to be my usual first choice as there are other microphones that are less expensive and IMNSHO provide a better and more interesting result. For what it's worth, I would highly consider the Soundelux iFET7 as a replacement for the U87 in this case. It's a wonderful and versatile microphone, that actually houses two seperate and distinct forms of electronics in the same microphone body with the same capsule. And most importantly, it just plain rocks on overheads, and a lot of other applications including many vocals (no one mic is going to be the be all end all on vocals, usually I would require at least 3 to cover most bases) and other instruments. But this is providing that you are ok with cardiod only. It looks as if a non omni option would be ok, since you are considering a strictly figure of 8 pattern on a ribbon. Best of luck with your search.
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Nut

I use the SF12 most of the time on overheads with a DW Fearn Vt2... Sometimes I'll use a pair of KM84's if the song or drummer needs something a bit brighter or if there's a need to get more of the cymbals aren't jumping out of the speakers...

For the most part I really like the SF12 in getting a good drum sound (drums like one instrument thing)..
Old 22nd May 2003
member no 666

Depends on the height of the ceiling... I've found that using an SF-12 with a ceiling height under 12 feet can be a major drag as the reflections [expecially cymbal reflections] tend to give me a fairly phase cancelled ball of snot as an overhead tone. Being able to put a condenser mic [such as a U-87, though they certainly aren't a favorite of mine for the application] over the kit in a room with a lower ceiling seems to help me get a clearer picture of the kit.

As always... YMMV.
Old 22nd May 2003
Gear Guru

i agree with fletcher on the low ceiling deal...that is my problem and why i put the ribbons (coles and royer) on the sides (micing the toms more from the sides and up above the level of the drum a little but not much, has a nice warm tone to it) as it works better for the figure 8 patterns...with low ceilings it can also help to put the mics back a little further and try and use some of the volume in the room for air...or for a mear 15,000.00 you could make a vaulted ceiling but the tenant above may get pissed at the pitched roof in their living room....

peace john
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear