The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio RTA Producer Station anyone?
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear
I had one of these and it's good for the price. All particle board though so I would recommend bolts not screws

Probably work like you want but look carefully at the armature etc and make sure it doesn't have to come too far toward you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcCraryNJ View Post
Resurrecting an old topic..

So I'm looking for a bigger desk, and this one has seen some really good sales over the last few months. I do have one question for anyone who owns it..

So the top shelf is 60" long, and is a bit too high and too far back for a computer monitor (I can't stand the way these desks place the monitor up and back from the user...so uncomfortable!). I have a pair of Yamaha HS8s, as well as an ultrawide LG display of 34". The plan I have worked out in my head is to use the top shelf for the HS8s (either standing up or on their sides) and get a monitor arm for the computer monitor. The arm would, in theory, screw into the middle of the top shelf and have the display mounted to it in such a way that I can "droop" the monitor both downward and slightly in front of the top shelf. I realize this would block off access to the smaller, sliding shelf towards the left, but since the monitor is on the arm, I could just raise and lower the monitor when I needed access to it.

My question is, does this setup sound feasible? I don't know much about computer display mounts or anything like that, but I would be looking for one where the base can screw in to the top shelf and bring my monitor down on a free-floating, "snake" like mounting arm, so that the monitor can droop down below and in front of the top shelf. Any ideas guys?

Thanks!
Old 14th August 2015
Lives for gear

Hello, i am thinking about getting this desk and i am wondering once its built how hard would it be to tear down and re build if i have to move?

has anyone done this? if so how did it hold up?
Old 14th August 2015
Gear Maniac

I dont think this desk is emant to be disassembled more than once.

It is ok quality but i wouldnt mess with it too much.

I have the creation station and it has endured three studios now, another one coming in a few weeks.

I am probably going to sell it and make my own.
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

hello, just want to follow up for anyone reading this thread and considering getting one of these.

this thing is fantastic! you cant beat it for the price, got it new at musicians friend for $399 with free shipping.

built like a tank and solid.

great buy.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Head
I've had my eyes on the cherry Producer Station, but I can't find it for sale anywhere. Musician's Friend / Guitar Center have it, but in maple only. What's more, the maple is back up from $399 to $499.
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Head
So the main desk only holds 50lbs.? I assumed that this could hold a big console. Wanted to put my Soundtracs board on it.
Old 22nd March 2016
Here for the gear

Hi I am new to the forum which I already feel is great for tips and user knowledge..I have purchased a used rta producer station to replace assorted homemade units which the wife hated....after a few hours sorting measurements and deciding which gear to keep ,I am 100% sorted and can picture the finished item loaded with my gear which will be based around a korg 32 track recorder....I have taken on board quite a few tips regarding assembly i.e. the rack alignment probs and remedies....I am living in t h e nineties with my original pod for guitar sounds but it has served me when recording for many years...I am a little technically challenged and prefer to keep things simple and easy.....I will post how I get on with the assembly etc...could be a busy Easter weekend !!......bo lett
Old 22nd March 2016
Gear Head

Good luck! Remember, do not use the rack rails that come with it for the top racks. Buy some 4 space rails elsewhere. The ones that come with it are awful and unevenly spaced. I also put rails on both sides, avoiding that useless sliding shelf thing.
Old 30th August 2016
Here for the gear

Hi there!
Sorry, I realise this is an ancient post and going through all of it has been very useful. After long and painful deliberation in search of a new desk (I've had an Ikea Frederik workstation for 10 years - not bad, but I've outgrown it and would love something with inbuilt rack spaces) I had been almost sold on the RTA Producer Station (other options were the Creation Station, Zaor Miza 88 & Zaor Miza 61), but then as a last port of call I wanted to check some reviews on forums and came across this post, when I found out about all the issues, mainly the top shelf height problem, weak castors, buzzing of panels and the rack alignment. It doesn't seem like any of these issues have been resolved by the company since this post started years ago (going by more recent posts here), so I'm now very skeptical about the Producer Desk. But this leaves me wondering, what are the current alternatives out there? The reason I was drawn to this desk was the size of the work space, options the amount of rack space was providing (I probably only need about 4U of space now - but it's good to have room to expand) and it seems there aren't even any more expensive variations out there with nearly as much space. I'd be very happy to spend more for a better quality version but I can't seem to find anything with a similar dimension/spec. The Zaor desks are quite nice, but the spacing of units isn't quite right for me and spaces below the keyboard shelves could be utilised better in my view. The creation station has its upsides too, but I feel like the space below the main work surface is somewhat wasted. Has anyone got any good stories to tell about those desks?
Any recommendations or opinions on alternatives to the RTA Producer Station (outside of building your own...I wish was better with tools!) would be much appreciated - thanks a lot in advance! ;-)
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmonger View Post
Hi there!
Sorry, I realise this is an ancient post and going through all of it has been very useful. After long and painful deliberation in search of a new desk (I've had an Ikea Frederik workstation for 10 years - not bad, but I've outgrown it and would love something with inbuilt rack spaces) I had been almost sold on the RTA Producer Station (other options were the Creation Station, Zaor Miza 88 & Zaor Miza 61), but then as a last port of call I wanted to check some reviews on forums and came across this post, when I found out about all the issues, mainly the top shelf height problem, weak castors, buzzing of panels and the rack alignment. It doesn't seem like any of these issues have been resolved by the company since this post started years ago (going by more recent posts here), so I'm now very skeptical about the Producer Desk. But this leaves me wondering, what are the current alternatives out there? The reason I was drawn to this desk was the size of the work space, options the amount of rack space was providing (I probably only need about 4U of space now - but it's good to have room to expand) and it seems there aren't even any more expensive variations out there with nearly as much space. I'd be very happy to spend more for a better quality version but I can't seem to find anything with a similar dimension/spec. The Zaor desks are quite nice, but the spacing of units isn't quite right for me and spaces below the keyboard shelves could be utilised better in my view. The creation station has its upsides too, but I feel like the space below the main work surface is somewhat wasted. Has anyone got any good stories to tell about those desks?
Any recommendations or opinions on alternatives to the RTA Producer Station (outside of building your own...I wish was better with tools!) would be much appreciated - thanks a lot in advance! ;-)
Hello,

I picked one up for $399 shipped at Musicians Friend, for that price, you can not beat this desk. I have not experienced any of the reported issues with the rack rails being poorly aligned or the side panels making any noise like others have so perhaps i got lucky. I have dissasembled it completely and moved 2 times and it is still perfect. as far as the top shelf height, you could get monitor arms for your monitors or modifiy it very simply, all it would take to lower the top shelf is 4 straight cuts and 8 pilot holes and trim down the rails with a hacksaw and your done. you could even leave the top shelf off altogether and just place racks on the desktop itself, good luck.
Old 7th June 2017
Here for the gear

Hello

This here is the manufacturer in Taiwan
****uo taiwan dot com
Old 7th July 2017
Gear Nut

which one did you get? I can't find an argosy that can house plus 35 pieces...
Old 23rd August 2019
SLx
Here for the gear
I feel like an ass to necro this thread but I'm in the market for a new desk and I've had this one on my radar for quite some time. The price point for it is great for what it is and the overall size is nothing to scoff at.

The specifications given for this desk however are nowhere near as precise or in-depth as some other desks. Zaor and Millennium both offer complete technical drawings with labels to boot, and extensive details on product pages themselves. The Producer Station just seems to offer main work area and upper work area, without any specs for the keyboard shelf or the likes. Would anybody here who owns it be able to measure the keyboard shelf for me? I'm fairly into PC gaming so I'm a little concerned as to how wide the shelf is. I'm rocking a relatively big computer keyboard so I'm a little concerned that it will completely choke the shelf and leave me with little room for moving the mouse around.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 24th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLx View Post
I feel like an ass to necro this thread but I'm in the market for a new desk and I've had this one on my radar for quite some time. The price point for it is great for what it is and the overall size is nothing to scoff at.
The desk is plenty big enough to game on. I do have my keyboard and mouse on the desktop but I'm really tall, a keyboard drawer on any desk wont work with my height. The top shelf is 58" from side to side and 15 1/2 inches in the center, plenty of room for me. The keyboard shelf is 26" x 12."

There are a few down sides. The rack holes do not line up perfectly, you can't use every rack spot since the holes do not align perfectly. The tubular steel that hold the desk parts together are hollow and can very slightly ring. Although I have filled mine I used the desk for years without them filled. I never had an issue mixing and mastering on the desk with the tubes ringing.

Guitar Center keeps putting these on the daily pic at $299, that's a smoking hot deal IMHO.

sláinte mhaith!
Old 24th August 2019
SLx
Here for the gear
Hey Achilles! Thanks a million for the response and the specs; really appreciate it.

I'd prefer to have my regular keyboard and mouse on the tray and at 26 inches, I feel as though the space for the mouse is choked entirely. I suppose if I was rocking a keyboard without a numpad I'd get away with it, but I'm admittedly a little iffy with that limitation off the bat. Part of the reason I'm opting for a proper desk is because I want to be able to put my master MIDI keyboard (61 key) on the desk itself and not to the side, so I'd have to put my mouse&keyboard on the lower shelf. Bummer. Will need to think this one through again.

Regarding the rack holes - I've seen that quite a bit, both in this thread and elsewhere in reviews. Surprising nothing has been done to change it. As it stands I want to rack my Virus TI on the top space (19" 5U rack) and I was thinking I might rack up my other desktops on the left-hand side of the lower rack spaces. Could be a bit of an issue if the holes are super off. I'd imagine this is a fairly hit-or-miss thing depending on each persons desk, so the amount of unusable space could be up to chance.

Finally; damn that's a good price. $299 is about €250 here, but the only place I can find that is selling the desk has it listed at €440. Didn't realise there was that much of a jump.. :/

You've given me a fair amount to think about, so thank you very much for that. Really appreciate the specs, too! If you've any other cautions/warnings/likes about the desk, feel free to let me know!
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Just chiming in here: I got grandfathered into a Studio RTA Producer's Station at my old NYC apartment and I loved it. It was a giant step up from what I'd been using and it changed my whole workflow for the better. After moving from NYC back down to Austin (and not taking ANY furniture with me, gave the desk to my buddy), I ended up buying the smaller one, the RTA Creation Station, and actually I like that one even more! It might be my imagination but I feel like maaaaybe the Creation Station has slightly better and sturdier components. As others have said, the Producer's Station was some rather crumbly laminated particle board, much like Ikea desks, so screws could be stripped very easily. The Creation Station is still laminated particle board but it seems to be higher quality overall, and the smaller size actually works for my little studio even better.

And as others have also said, either way, you can't beat these RTA desks for the price. They really are very decent and insanely inexpensive. I've loved both of mine. There are certainly better desks out there but they're many times more expensive.
Old 6th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
I just wanted to update that I cut the top shelf down to a 3U height. Lowes home improvement have shelves made of nearly the same material in the same cherry finish as the RTA producer desk. I think I paid something like $11 for one of the shelves. I have a compound miter saw that I used to cut them down to the a 3U height and it's a major improvement. I spaced the supports out little differently when I put it back together. This way my Mackie monitors are supported quite well along with my 27" LED monitor. The result is a lot less neck strain and more enjoyable work experience. Took me all of about two hours total. Plus a few wood screws, drill and a drill bit. I will upload an updated picture when I get a minute.
I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing as the top shelf is too high for a monitor. I'm curious if you still have those photos? Thanks a million!
📝 Reply