The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I guess you guys like stellar perfomances... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

I guess you guys like stellar perfomances...

...so I thought I'll share this one with you. Enjoy!

YouTube - Marit Larsen "If a Song Could Get Me You" greengrocer

Cheers!
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

perfect music...

...for a supermarket.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Old 28th November 2009
Maybe it should be a red letter day when I'm not the most cynical monkey in the tree...

While I'm not much of a fan of little girl style vocals or relentlessly lilting melodies in the current ultra-twee folk pop style, I found it hard not to be charmed on at least a couple levels by this seemingly guileless performance.

Mind you, I appreciate the greater cynicism of my fellows here. I'd just be disingenous myself if I said it didn't at least raise a smile...

Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunale View Post
...so I thought I'll share this one with you. Enjoy!

YouTube - Marit Larsen "If a Song Could Get Me You" greengrocer

Cheers!
Oooooh, aaaah! Cutie cutie music.

Surely their must be an American Sitcom/Movie/Romcom just waiting for this choon?
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Oooooh, aaaah! Cutie cutie music.

Surely their must be an American Sitcom/Movie/Romcom just waiting for this choon?
Grey's Anatomy !

or an Apple commercial

happy music for the masses

oh it's so nice !
oh the girl's pretty, blonde, and white !
we live in a wonderful world !

**** THAT ****

lol

kidding

or maybe not
Old 28th November 2009
Haha I'm not terribly impressed. Yeah, it's a tight performance. No, it's not hard to play/perform. No, I don't find it interesting or unique.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eascholz View Post
Haha I'm not terribly impressed. Yeah, it's a tight performance. No, it's not hard to play/perform. No, I don't find it interesting or unique.
Disbeliever!!

I will force you to watch every episode of Friends.

Backwards.

17 times!
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

why is everyone hating so hard?

its just a chick with a guitar singing a song, so what?

is it special? no. Is it bad? no.

it's just whatever.

Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

She sounds like a baby version of Edie Brickell.

Nice tune.

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelmossobrien View Post
why is everyone hating so hard?

its just a chick with a guitar singing a song, so what?

is it special? no. Is it bad? no.

it's just whatever.

Maybe thats the problem with music these days. ITS JUST WHATEVER. I tried to watch PEARL JAM on AUSTIN CITY LIMITS last night and their new stuff just seems WHATEVER. You could tell a good portion of the folks in the crowd thought the same thing. The AMA the other night was the same thing. YAWN!
Old 28th November 2009
I liked it, and didn't think it was at all 'just whatever'. It's not like these are auto-tuned and comp'd, perfectly formed (naturally or otherwise), tanned and toned, Juicy Couture wearing corporate inventions. It's some quite normal people playing music well and naturally and live, and it's a nice song.

Maybe the problem is that a lot of you have become so cynical that you can't even really enjoy a simple song, well played and sung anymore.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I liked it, and didn't think it was at all 'just whatever'. It's not like these are auto-tuned and comp'd, perfectly formed (naturally or otherwise), tanned and toned, Juicy Couture wearing corporate inventions. It's some quite normal people playing music well and naturally and live, and it's a nice song.

Maybe the problem is that a lot of you have become so cynical that you can't even really enjoy a simple song, well played and sung anymore.
Agreed 100%

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 28th November 2009
A similar sort of tune is Leona Naess' song Calling, from her self titled album. A beautifully done pop song, though it's definitely one to hear the original studio tune. You may find some live performances on Youtube, but this is one of those where it really benefits from some production craft I think. It's one of those that you will have trouble getting out of your head for a while.

Actually, it's used in this video (with purchase link so I assume legally), though it doesn't come in until about 40 seconds in. The usual low quality Youtube thing, but gets it across.

YouTube - Rory and Jess *love*
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

view this

Hey, give the kid a break. fuuck Think Taylor Swift...........and be aware what is really wrong with music for the masses today, eh? Here's the "official video version.

YouTube - Marit Larsen - If A Song Could Get Me You [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I agree completely about auto-tuned and tanned crap fake artists that somehow are the norm in music today. The general public has no clue all those pretty perfect vocals are just software made fake vocals. That girl is very talented but its been done over and over and over. Its a car commercial or maybe APPLE with a better hook. We arent being cynical we are being selective. There are hundreds of cute chicks on the planet with acoustics singing sweet little songs that go out the other ear.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well the official video version is a lot more Meh to my ears, the grocery version is just nice & cute, nothing special but also nothing wrong, this is what music is about, some people playing and singing together.
Old 28th November 2009
I dunno, I think it only goes out the other ear if there's nothing in there to absorb it and really hear what's being said and understand why it's meaningful to the person singing it. It's been working well since the earliest stringed instruments existed, I'm sure, and was already thousands of years old decades ago, so it's not like it just suddenly got old. It was thousands of years old when Jewel's first album came out, and that was a giant hit and has some amazing songs on it.
Old 28th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
Well the official video version is a lot more Meh to my ears, the grocery version is just nice & cute, nothing special but also nothing wrong, this is what music is about, some people playing and singing together.
Yeah... what I like about the first vid is that it's as Dean suggests, some nice, talented people doing a song in a real place in real time that doesn't make you want to tear your ears off and put them down the garbage disposal. (Sad that that's just about heady praise these days.)

But I'm not so sure I really think I want to 'wreck' those few moments of innocent pleasure by watching the official vid.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I dunno, I think it only goes out the other ear if there's nothing in there to absorb it and really hear what's being said and understand why it's meaningful to the person singing it. It's been working well since the earliest stringed instruments existed, I'm sure, and was already thousands of years old decades ago, so it's not like it just suddenly got old. It was thousands of years old when Jewel's first album came out, and that was a giant hit and has some amazing songs on it.
Dude its just another pop love song. There isnt that much culture involved here. Ok APPLE TV COMMERCIAL pop culture maybe but we are not making music history on any level. I just watched the polished studio version and shes less interesting than I first thought. IF JERRY SPRINGER HAD TO REMOVE HER FROM HER APARTMENT USING A FORKLIFT BECAUSE SHE WEIGHED 500 POUNDS YOU WOULDNT LIKE THE SONG. Do you represent this chick or something? I am just talking about this one girl not the other billion artists who played around a camp fire or for the KING since the beginning of time.
Old 28th November 2009
No, I don't represent her, obviously. But saying, it's just another pop love song, well how many of the greatest songs of all time have just been pop love songs? Probably a huge percentage. So she's in good company.

Quote:
IF JERRY SPRINGER HAD TO REMOVE HER FROM HER APARTMENT USING A FORKLIFT BECAUSE SHE WEIGHED 500 POUNDS YOU WOULDNT LIKE THE SONG
Stick to analyzing your own feelings and motivations. That would probably be more appropriate.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

As Rodney Dangerfield would say: Tough room!

Look, I've heard sooooo much worse. I enjoyed it. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" it ain't, but if you assume that a piece of work is relatively insignificant (which this probably is), I would rather hear good performances of simple love songs with nice harmonies than lots of other things out there. I guess I'm just a sentimental old fart.

What, you would rather hear some death metal screamer cough up a lung, or some atonal rapper go on and on about his hedonistic lifestyle? I'm not crazy about what passes for the really good stuff in those genres; I'd poke out my eardrums if I had to listen to the mediocre stuff. No, thanks. If it's going to be "not great," at least let it be pleasant to sit through.

Having said nice things about the song/performance, I have to admit that the nine year old who lives inside me would have LOVED it if someone had started trying to pick out some veggies around the trio. "Don't mind me, I just need some asparagus. Hey, tamborine lady, can you hand me a cucumber?" Now, THAT'S entertainment!
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

This song raised my attention recently when I heard it for the first time on the radio because the vocals sound very natural and uncompressed. Whilst the lyrics are...well...I like a vocal performance that is not hyped...but this itself has become a hype as well, I know that...so...pointless post, sorry.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No, I don't represent her, obviously. But saying, it's just another pop love song, well how many of the greatest songs of all time have just been pop love songs? Probably a huge percentage. So she's in good company.

Stick to analyzing your own feelings and motivations. That would probably be more appropriate.
Ok than dont call us all cynical just because we dont like the same crap you like. Do you like every movie you see? Do you like every painting that you look at? Do you defend everything just because? fuuck People have been writing books forever so are they all good? Its ok to not like everything.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

What do you guys do when a young pop artist turns up at the studio door wanting to make a record? I really hope you turn them away because with that attitude you wont be doing the music any justice at all/

I liked it, has a good vibe. I also enjoy a good rock lick. I fear for some fellow slutz, it is our job to find the likability in a tune. It may not be my favorite style but I would be happy to work with lotz of Marit Larsens at least you can bob your head to it while your sliding the faders.

Not saying you guys are not entitled to an opinion of music but maybe your in the wrong line of work if you view it so strongly.

At least she's doing it!
Old 29th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Ok than dont call us all cynical just because we dont like the same crap you like. Do you like every movie you see? Do you like every painting that you look at? Do you defend everything just because? fuuck People have been writing books forever so are they all good? Its ok to not like everything.
I didn't call you cynical. I asked a question that perhaps people were so cynical that...
Old 29th November 2009
I think this is really nice! Good song, great performance, endearing video. But obviously, its all quite subjective. To each their own.
Old 29th November 2009
I suspect that this thread was destined to go schismogenic when the word stellar got used in the title.

If the OP had said "I guess some of you guys might like a sweet little live performance..." or such, a handful of us would have chipped in that it was innocent fun and kind of refreshing and a couple of folks might have shrugged it off with a "not my thing" or "kinda tired of the whole cute girl/boy looking sincere" thing and it probably would have faded.

Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Maybe it should be a red letter day when I'm not the most cynical monkey in the tree...

While I'm not much of a fan of little girl style vocals or relentlessly lilting melodies in the current ultra-twee folk pop style, I found it hard not to be charmed on at least a couple levels by this seemingly guileless performance.

Mind you, I appreciate the greater cynicism of my fellows here. I'd just be disingenous myself if I said it didn't at least raise a smile...

That, sir, elevates you to MCM status by default. I raise my glass...heh

Oh, and thanks for my word of the day, schismogenic. I'm smarter than I was this morning...

Last edited by Old Goat; 29th November 2009 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: add
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
IF JERRY SPRINGER HAD TO REMOVE HER FROM HER APARTMENT USING A FORKLIFT BECAUSE SHE WEIGHED 500 POUNDS YOU WOULDNT LIKE THE SONG.
Well, i can't speak for Dean, but i personally don't give a got dayam if a musician is short or tall or fat or small...my only question is, can you bring it?

And yes, in her own way, i think she is certainly bringing it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search