The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I guess you guys like stellar perfomances... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 29th November 2009
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Maybe it should be a red letter day when I'm not the most cynical monkey in the tree...

While I'm not much of a fan of little girl style vocals or relentlessly lilting melodies in the current ultra-twee folk pop style, I found it hard not to be charmed on at least a couple levels by this seemingly guileless performance.

Mind you, I appreciate the greater cynicism of my fellows here. I'd just be disingenous myself if I said it didn't at least raise a smile...

"Guileless performance" is a rather nice description. I liked the song okay and actually like the artist. Ms. Larsen reminds me a bit of Rachel Sage. Here's a link I found to another fun performance:

I've Heard Your Love Songs

Thanks for the pointer, Lunale.

Sky
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ohh, I didn't want to start a fight here....

And yes, obviously the word stellar is not the best description of the performance.

I heard her tune on the radio, and was grabbed by the unusual tone of her voice, then I stumbled upon this little performance and thought, since a lot of the fellow GS complain about auto-tuned and overproduced music all day long here, this thing was refrefeshing to some.

It's not my type of music either, however, I'm able to identify a unique voice and a talent.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

It's a funny thing the old music game unfortunately all products seem to be contrived in some way ,i find her "look at me I'm so sweet and innocent " almost as annoying as the auto tuned fake tan camp
they are pulling all the tricks out, but in a different way

I'm so cute i have no makeup or fake tan or clever lighting
Don't you just love my uncompressed hardly eq'ed almost no reverb vocals
Don't you just love my safe easy going lyrics that wouldn't offend your grannie

At the end of the day art shmart whatever, Artists just wanna be famous & sell there music, record companies want sales, publishers want syncs
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I dunno, I think it only goes out the other ear if there's nothing in there to absorb it and really hear what's being said and understand why it's meaningful to the person singing it.
I don't know. I don't care if a song has any real meaning, in fact I often prefer lyrics as a series as abstract lyrics/images. I don't care if I can't make out "why it's meaningful to the person singing it". That's not a criteria for a good song, nor a song that sticks in my opinion.

The important thing for me is basically that the tune is great - that your ear remembers it. That's why I knew the beatles were great long before I could understand a single word of english. And also the lyrics shouldn't be AWFUL, plus the words should sound musical when sung to the melody. Then you have a song that grabs me.

I feel that the Marit Larsen tune is an "almost"-kinda song. Some good and cute moments, but it's not quite there for me. I like the outdoor lowkey performance actually, although if you wanna be cynical you could accuse it of being tailor-made for youtube, a super commercial "product" just like the autotuned stuff on the radio.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

i'm surprised i still haven't read anyone saying "i'd hit her"

congrats boys !
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
i'm surprised i still haven't read anyone saying "i'd hit her"

congrats boys !
Or the slightly more condescending version "I'd hit it".

Pretty impressive for a forum where around 99 % are guys, I agree. I think she's too cutesy-wootsy , plus the a-cup factor probably plays a part.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I tried to watch PEARL JAM on AUSTIN CITY LIMITS last night and their new stuff just seems WHATEVER.
But if they are WHATEVER it's a HUGE improvement for them ;-)
Old 29th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
plus the a-cup factor probably plays a part.
Oh no, that would have encouraged me to comment on whether or not I'd hit it/her, not discouraged me. Perky rules!
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
It's a funny thing the old music game unfortunately all products seem to be contrived in some way ,i find her "look at me I'm so sweet and innocent " almost as annoying as the auto tuned fake tan camp
they are pulling all the tricks out, but in a different way

I'm so cute i have no makeup or fake tan or clever lighting
Don't you just love my uncompressed hardly eq'ed almost no reverb vocals
Don't you just love my safe easy going lyrics that wouldn't offend your grannie

At the end of the day art shmart whatever, Artists just wanna be famous & sell there music, record companies want sales, publishers want syncs
I think you just got it RIGHT ! Thank you, I'm just with you, man…
Those cute baby-voiced babies are finally boring… please, bring me back some fu**in' rockin' girls !
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
I like the outdoor lowkey performance actually, although if you wanna be cynical you could accuse it of being tailor-made for youtube, a super commercial "product" just like the autotuned stuff on the radio.
Or tailor made for here...we are being virally marketed to...right? She is standing in a market....

What's interesting (in a way)...I listened to the lofi version all the way through...which is a miracle for me, especially this "cutesy wootsy" ****...the high point was the tambourine/xylophone player...stellar...

then I started listening to the "real" version...wow, that's what all this gear and engineering are all about...and yet, I couldn't take it any more about half way through....cutesy wootsy sound that was now annoying as f*ck...
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
Well the official video version is a lot more Meh to my ears, the grocery version is just nice & cute, nothing special but also nothing wrong, this is what music is about, some people playing and singing together.
Ha, +1.

I've obviously been hanging around here too much because my first reaction was to go and hear what the studio version sounded like, and it was awful, in that 'look how nicely we can produce' kind of way.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be able to mix a track to that standard theoretically but.. yeah, I guess 'meh' sums it up pretty well!

Should have released the greengrocer version..
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Addict

everytime that video is watched somebody somewhere buys a bottle of tide
Old 30th November 2009
I'd have to pass. The lead female vox made me reach for a gun and consequently I won't be able to finni
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Maniac

This is what i think is a stellar "performance".

YouTube - Fiona Apple, Elvis Costello - "I Want You"
Old 30th November 2009
Not many female artists these days can compete with Fiona, so that's not necessarily a fair fight. Kind of punching beyond her weight, though only in a metaphorical sense because Fiona is probably one of the few that might underweigh her.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

I didn't mind that performance. Very cutesy, but not terrible by any means.

However, I'll see your 'cute girl at a grocery store' and raise you a 'Sigur Ros in a french cafe'!

Sigur Ros - Við spilum endalaust - A Take Away Show on Vimeo
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

I just watched the produced music video, which is set to the produced version of the song.

Yeah, the song's not bad. Kids could listen to a lot worse. Taylor Swift is not any better of a singer or songwriter (my daughter would disagree).

I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the charm of the green grocer version. Just playing and singing for folks out in the real world is an acid test that a lot of artists can't handle (sadly).

One thing about the video that just irked me: The white posterboard signs. Bob Dylan did it in 1965, and it hasn't been original or cool since. Whoever produced the video should feel a pang of shame for tossing that one in there. I can live with all the other contrived nonsense in the video (angel wings? Really? You went with angel wings?), but the posterboard signs need to be retired from the list of junk that goes into these videos.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

here's some Bon Iver, just for fun

far from "stellar" - but who cares

start at 3:50 on this one
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunale View Post
...so I thought I'll share this one with you. Enjoy!

YouTube - Marit Larsen "If a Song Could Get Me You" greengrocer

Cheers!
Radio hits aren't what I spend the most time listening to, but this song by the same artist is more catchy IMO:

Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Don't Save Me is pretty catchy. I hear a little "Dancing Queen" or "Money, Money, Money" in the piano riff. You think that's on purpose? You could do a lot worse these days than remind people of Abba.
Old 10th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashbrown View Post
This is what i think is a stellar "performance".

YouTube - Fiona Apple, Elvis Costello - "I Want You"
Good call! This is my favorite performance of anything ever!
Old 10th December 2009
Fiona be thy name. My dream waif.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticwhitesound View Post
Good call! This is my favorite performance of anything ever!

See now that sounds a little pitchy to me. I know you can try to say the performance outwieghs the out of tune singing but in my book if a instrument was that far out you would stop and tune it!

But different strokes and all that
Old 10th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidtunes View Post
See now that sounds a little pitchy to me. I know you can try to say the performance outwieghs the out of tune singing but in my book if a instrument was that far out you would stop and tune it!

But different strokes and all that
If you even heard any out of tune singing while watching that, you are in the wrong business. You should probably be making cars or something. Any attempt to correct anything in that performance would be completely against what music is supposed to be about. I mean I'm all for commerce, and I've been damned plenty of times in various threads as being a corporate flunky, silly as that might be, but everyone seems to have forgotten what the point of the whole thing is.

It's to EXPRESS YOURSELF. Once you stop expressing yourself and start worrying about whether it's good enough, you have already gone off the path. It's counter intuitive, but the less you worry about whether it's good enough, the better it'll be, if what you are looking to make is music, as apposed to product.

I mean is going to come down to the death of music being laid at the feet of engineers and producers who somewhere along the line forgot that the point was the what was going in and not what is coming out?
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Sorry dean, I'm making to much money to stop making records and sell cars. I think that the clients would feel very let down.

The fact is out of tune is out of tune. Sorry if you feel I've attacked one of your favorite artists. '

I know you love Fiona, as its proberbly justified but it's out O tune dude.

I agree with you about music expression and not being to commercial about things but it's out O tune dude!

Music has to be expressive but to my ears if its out of tune it subtracts from the over all "stellar performance".

Alot of those Idol performances are expressive but the pitch

Like I said different strokes. If we all agreed on music it would be boring.
Old 10th December 2009
I think I've figured out the problem. Most people don't check this, but if you feel around on your back, there's a switch back there. It has two positions "Little Head" and "Big Head". When listening to music, you have to put it in the "Little Head" position, or it may cause strange interactions where you hear things like out of tune vocals and such.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I think I've figured out the problem. Most people don't check this, but if you feel around on your back, there's a switch back there. It has two positions "Little Head" and "Big Head". When listening to music, you have to put it in the "Little Head" position, or it may cause strange interactions where you hear things like out of tune vocals and such.
I'll pay that Dean! Maybe I do have it switched to big head. I can't reach the middle of my back so I wouldn't know.

But you agree, her vocal is out of tune! I think if it wasn't Fiona but some girl off the street recording her 1st album you would have a different perspective on the pitch. Alternate artist tend to get away with it> sometimes its as if they meen to hit a bad note. Anyway man I'll agree to disagree and might even get my wife to find that switch on my back. Peace out, Have a good Christmas.
Old 10th December 2009
I really honestly didn't notice it. I was just very into the performance. I really think that it's only music professionals who pay attention to such things, and in doing so (out of completely understandable professional concerns) we end up with music without that power, because we place form above content too much.

I would contend that no one who is fully lost in a performance (of the sort I would hope we wall want to hear) will fail to make a mistake much of the time. Yeh, stuff like Aja has it's place and I appreciate it greatly for the sonic perfection it has. But, IMO, it's emotionally ******** (in the dictionary, not the vulgar, sense of the word) by that perfection. It acheives something (in a big way) that folks like us can really appreciate, but it's not what music is ultimately about.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I agree there is a point where music becomes robotic. Thats not really the type of music I produce but i do believe in balance. Fionas vocal does bug me in this track but at least she is not lip sinking or so far into choreography that she looses real expresion.

If it were me in the studio tho, I would want another take.

If you will excuse me: I gotta flick to little head and go sell some cars!heh
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Radio hits aren't what I spend the most time listening to, but this song by the same artist is more catchy IMO:

I found myself liking this song. I think the production is great.
Maybe a little 80's.... a lot of Abba in it as somebody was saying...
I gotta go back on this tomorrow when I have my mind clear.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search