The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the update Michael

It's nice to see Superlux out and about again.

One of my favs for the money.
Old 1st December 2009
I guess I should work on my disillusivement.
Old 1st December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
materials for instruments like the snake skin below (or components for microphones on the gear side)
This is too good to be true. Do you think they could sell me snake-skin clad skinny rockers?
Old 1st December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Some expressions of thoughtfulness seen recently...
Cherish Public Facilities?

Is that like "hug a toilet?"
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
The engineers were good, but our concept was different. I had to struggle to get the engineer to build a mix from the rhythm section up.
Missed this Rick. But man, how true that is. I had a pretty long stint engineering in T***o, and the asian mindset for technical things is so much different than the way we do things in the states.

Three engineers and the most convoluted and complex pro tools session with a 2 hour setup for a simple couple of lines of VO while I just sat there.....in dazed confusion as they hustled and bustled all around getting their session together. All while there was a console sitting right in front of us. hehheh In the states it would have been a 10 minute setup, 10 minute session. Done. It was a 4-6 hour affair there. Oh yeah, and these particular engineers prefered to unpatch and repatch things on the REAR of the patchbay instead of using patchcords on the front. I even begged and showed them how, but no...... They would unplug the rear XLR's and just leave them lying in a huge pile of wire. Then they would be gone as fast as they showed up and I would spend the next 2-3 hours figuring out what they changed on the back of the "unlabeled" bay. Somehow, I think that maybe they were having a good laugh at the giijing's expense. heh heh At any rate, they were top notch, but would not last a day in the US. And if I had not been hired by a US company, I wouldn't have lasted a day there. LOL Different engineering styles is an understatement. Great people, great fun, but the engineering concept is about as different as it can get.

Oh yeah., but mics, right? I'm pretty sure we used GERMAN mics. LOL Go figure...
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Cherish Public Facilities?

Is that like "hug a toilet?"
here I thought I got away from that site
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Missed this Rick. But man, how true that is. I had a pretty long stint engineering in T***o, and the asian mindset for technical things is so much different than the way we do things in the states.

Three engineers and the most convoluted and complex pro tools session with a 2 hour setup for a simple couple of lines of VO while I just sat there.....in dazed confusion as they hustled and bustled all around getting their session together. All while there was a console sitting right in front of us. hehheh In the states it would have been a 10 minute setup, 10 minute session. Done. It was a 4-6 hour affair there........
Perhaps there's a difference between Japan and China (duh). I had a very different experience. In fact, it was funny when I was doing my first string date at CCTV, with about 30 players in their large studio. It's about 5 minutes 'til a 7 pm downbeat. The chairs and mics are set up but the studio is totally empty except for me and a Chinese speaking assistant engineer. I tried to ask where everybody was, where was my engineer, shouldn't we be putting up the tape and generating the clik, etc. I get a smile but no response. Very disconcerting. Suddenly, at 7:01, a door opens somewhere and 30 string players walk in carrying their uncased instruments, charts and their own headphones. In 30 seconds they were all seated, headphones on and plugged in, bows at the ready. It turns out my asst engineer is my real engineer, and he pushes a button and there is my first cue, with clik, spitting out of the monitors. My conductor wanders in, my CCTV clients magically appear, and by 7:10 I'm already telling the conductor that that take wasn't good enough.

It's funny, after every take (we were stacking strings, horns, brass and percussion through the night) everyone would look at me and say "pass?". I had a hard time explaining that this wasn't pass/fail and that we were looking for straight A's. Efficient to a fault!

Mixing was the same thing---they got to their idea of acceptable results very quickly.

The only time the process slowed down was when I tried to affect it. They did one pass with French horns, which I thought were too loud during one 4 bar section. When I communicated this there was much jabbering in Mandarin, with everyone pointing at the score and repeatedly verifying with me the spot they were too loud, as the conductor (inexplicably with me in the control room) spoke at length over the talkback to the players. This went on for quite some time as they tried to find a good spot to rewind the tape to. Finally, we're playing up to the punch, the conductor shouts "yi, er, san, si" over the TB, the engineer nervously punches in, and the horn players come in playing twice as loud! After the punch everyone looks at me, and with a resigned smile I just say "pass".

I finally realized that I had basically just put my boat into their river and I might as well relax and enjoy the scenery as I drifted along to who knows where. At the end of the night, at about 4:30 in the morning, I went back to the hotel, sat in a bathtub drinking several large bottles of Yanjing beer and wrote my glossary of Chinese musical terms. (for instance: Pitch--used to pave roads in China)

I cherish every moment of this and all the wonderful Chinese with whom I made lasting friendships.

-R
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-cctv-control-room.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-cctv-tracking-room.jpg  
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps there's a difference between Japan and China (duh). I had a very different experience. (for instance: Pitch--used to pave roads in China)

I cherish every moment of this and all the wonderful Chinese with whom I made lasting friendships.

-R
Sounds like the kind of dates I go on but I only go with the local chics, ( with various exceptions).
I'd take one overseas in a heartbeat.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

How can a whole 9 pages of a thread evaluating China pass without some reference to their famous cuisine. Chi le ma?
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-chinese-fooooood.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-fish.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-dumplings-art.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-yak-w-peppers-scallions.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-not-bad-looks.jpg  

China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-pass-pompano.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-bracing-tonic.jpg  
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Nut

CHinese RE-20

I just got the Chinese Broadcast Dynamic sample today.

I opened it up and I am quite impressed and it sounds very good just on my voice.
I am very impressed with the construction. The stand adapter is better than the one that comes with an RE-20 and it swivels really nicely.

I am excited to try it on a bass amp and kick drum.

The output transformer is soldered onto the circuit board so it will take a bit more time than I anticipated to check out the transformer spec's. Maybe later this evening as I am in middle of upgrading two Nady TCM 1050's for a client who needs them for a piano recording.

Cheers, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
i imagine he was making sure his products were going to be produced at a high quality.......... which is not always common practice for a company...

some just tell the factory to make 'so and so' according to these specs, then pays them and waits for the shipment....

there are a few great mic dealers/producers that check out the factory production quality before going into business with them, such as advanced audio,,,,and it appears oktavamod is doing this as well....

however, these are just my assumptions because i have no idea what michael does in his personal life (besides recycling what might be cheap quality, into a pro piece of gear), but it appears from the pics that he is going over some sort of spec/document....
and this makes a concerned consumer like myself much more interested in a product..............

also, i thought that mic looked like a RE-20 body with the head of a heil pr40,
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

-R

LOL Agreed.

Your sessions were pretty different than mine. I was mostly left to my own devices, but those I had, although different, were equally strange and jarring. Would definitely like to go back....
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

dimsum.......... uuummmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
How can a whole 9 pages of a thread evaluating China pass without some reference to their famous cuisine. Chi le ma?
How about Chinese cheese?
No cheese, why it's shrimp and mushrooms left in a barrel for years, and it smells like ..... and it tastes like...... exactly what it is. OLD.
Yik Hing Tea hut, chinatown, Manhattan. Used to go there every weekend with my favorite bassist. There also used to be a Hunan Palace on he upper west side, eighties I think, with hot waitresses. Man I miss that.
I'd love to go to China.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

oh man. Chinese food has been my favorite cuisine since I was about 10. I've got some pics and stories...will post after Obama's speach tonight.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Left to right - a banquet of factory managers, domestic distributors, international sales reps and foreign customers, a late night snack at Hallal dumpling restaurant, baskets of fresh shellfish in salt water tanks and fresh water fish on a 6" slab of ice to be selected for lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-dinner2.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-dinnerdumplings.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-dinnershellfish.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-dinnerfish.jpg  
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtaudio View Post
I just got the Chinese Broadcast Dynamic sample today.

I opened it up and I am quite impressed and it sounds very good just on my voice.
I am very impressed with the construction. The stand adapter is better than the one that comes with an RE-20 and it swivels really nicely.

I am excited to try it on a bass amp and kick drum.

The output transformer is soldered onto the circuit board so it will take a bit more time than I anticipated to check out the transformer spec's. Maybe later this evening as I am in middle of upgrading two Nady TCM 1050's for a client who needs them for a piano recording.

Cheers, Dave
...Dave...are you planning to offer this mic as part of your line?...could be alot of interest in a viable dynamic, assuming of course that it doesn't price out in the SM7/RE20 range...what's your thoughts on it's retail potential?...
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtaudio View Post
I just got the Chinese Broadcast Dynamic sample today...The output transformer is soldered onto the circuit board so it will take a bit more time than I anticipated to check out the transformer spec's.
Man that's great. Because Jenny told me it was transformerless and I only only looked very quickly at it and didn't see a transformer and sorta got disinterested in it.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
How about Chinese cheese?
No cheese, why it's shrimp and mushrooms left in a barrel for years, and it smells like ..... and it tastes like...... exactly what it is. OLD.
Yik Hing Tea hut, chinatown, Manhattan. Used to go there every weekend with my favorite bassist. There also used to be a Hunan Palace on he upper west side, eighties I think, with hot waitresses. Man I miss that.
I'd love to go to China.
I was astounded to find that Chinese food in China bears little resemblance to what we get here, whether it be Los Angeles, New York or Kansas.

It's a whole 'nother thing.

-R

And right, good luck finding cheese.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

In mountainous areas in and around Tibet, there is delicious yak cheese that is prepared with mountain spinach.

Quote:
I was astounded to find that Chinese food in China bears little resemblance to what we get here, whether it be Los Angeles, New York or Kansas.

-R

Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Rick, if you're looking for the real deal, you need to come East a few miles out where I live. There's some real legit chinese joints. They scare me. heh heh Send me to Panda Inn.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

-R

Yep, totally different than LA, that's for sure!

I still do work there in Beijing off and on, and the food is fantastic! The studio complex where I do most of my recording has a few traditional Chinese restaurants located in a 'hu tong' and, man, was the food great! Every meal during sessions was probably the highlight of my day.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

Looks like a an interesting trip but my experience with Chinese mics varies dramatically.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Chinese are real big on long preservation of food.
A western might be scared of the risk hazard of a 14 years old preserved pickled fish. heh
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Or the Israeli's forcefully occupying Palestine...

Or the U.S. forcefully occupying Iraq...
and Panama
and the U.S. Virgin Islands
and Hawaii
well...and let's not forget how we forcefully occupied North America, spreading out across the continent genociding Native American tribes as we "settled" claim-staker's and land-grabber's. Anybody here proud of that one?
Hey! Don't forget Puerto Rico, bro!
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

-R

There are a few places in NYC, in China town, hidden away, sorta, but, if you have a good Chinese guide, like my bass player was (lived in China 6 mos of any given year, spoke many dialects), you can find the real deal, there won't be any Americans in the line out the door, and there will be that "cheese" in there too.
No "General Chow's Chicken" either. You're right, that stuff is like McDonalds.
There are also some very good Vietnamese and Thai in odd spots.

Memphis has some great Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thai food and markets and a huge population. You don't have to look as hard here. Still, I miss the city.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
and there will be that "cheese" in there too.
Are we talking about 'Tofuru', the fermented tofu-like cheese that's used for seasoning?
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Are we talking about 'Tofuru', the fermented tofu-like cheese that's used for seasoning?
Nope, this stuff is made of mushrooms and shrimp, fermented in a barrel for YEARS.
I is the most pungent smell you will never forget. If you feel like a real man eating warm Stilton without Port, you'll feel like the washwoman when they bring this stuff out, and they'll bring a BIG bowl of it too, it will knock you over. Can't get it just anywhere.
It takes about a week to leave the palate, even with heavy drinking.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingustoo View Post
It's amazing. you mention the word 'China' on GSlutz and the level of stupidity in the room just goes through the roof. The stupidity then gets coupled with paranoia, misinformation and twisted logic. After which it is laminated in misogyny and painted with a veneer of misguided patriotism and occasionally racism for good measure.
So true.

JSL
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

the whole concept of having a country way
yonder making most of our goods ,
and in a economy that needs to work
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-386410abusinessman-sitting-corner-dunce-hat-posters1.jpg
of course stupidity arises

I feel like giving up all my Oktavas , silver solder and foil
and rap my naked self in an American flag and roll back in forth in a feverish manner
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcadiablo View Post
Hey! Don't forget Puerto Rico, bro!
True, true. I just haven't been there yet (but would like to).

I've been to Palestine though and seen that story up close in person. Very sad. Very very sad...and unforgivable. Beautiful people but 2 vastly different, vehemently opposed ruling governments.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search