The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 30th November 2009
Here for the gear

Sorry I just couldn't resist another economic post.

In order to start or expand a business endevor in a capitalistic society one must be able to do one thing, COMPETE.

Our government and our corporate greed have created an environment in which a person MUST seek out the most cost effective methods to COMPETE or they will most certainly FAIL.

I have no direct experience with China but I do have direct experience with economic displacement.

Two years ago I lost my programming job to India.
Do I blame the Indian people or the Indian government? NO!
Do I blame the AMERICAN government and AMERICAN corporate GREED? ABSOLUTELY!

This horse has already left the gate people. Doing business with China is not a crime it's what you have to do if you want to COMPETE. What our government and corporate greed has done will take many years to undo if it can be undone at all.

Lets put the blame where it belongs, on ourselves for allowing it to happen!
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Michael, I may have missed this somewhere, but what's the price point on your new mic? And do you have pics of the final product?

Also, does the MJE K47H capsule head fit the MK-012 body?
Just click the MJE-K47H link directly below. I haven't finished pricing out all of the packages (solo, mono, stereo -with or without mods to SDC bodies etc) yet. I'll be doing a new product sale shortly. Just watch my shop.

The MJE-K47H is designed to fit the popular 22mm SDC bodies - does not fit the MK-012.
Old 30th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Skinny Rocker
They make those there too? I've been looking for a good source for skinny Rockers.

All mine are getting old and decidedly NOT skinny.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo View Post
E) The worst of all... there's some really despicable people out in the world. The ones I'm speaking of would be the ones that put CARDBOARD in FOOD. I know of some dirty restaurants, but to substitute a FOOD ingredient for cardboard is down right nasty and I can't find one article in recent years where this is a common thing in the US.
Chinese food made from cardboard - Slashfood

Mr. Joly, I sincerely do hope your endeavors succeed. I'll probably be one of the first purchasers as I could use a nice new mic from someone on GS. I just hope you're getting what you've bargained for. I can't help being skeptical when all the information I have is less than pleasant.
Dont forget pouring malamine into baby milk substitutes and poisoning 100's of babies and killing lots... thats only the people who noticed outside of china (what happened there is all hush hush but I remember seeing angry parents by their 1000's outside the factory when hearing was going on...) It took some officials in NZ after the product circulating for 3 months to find out what was in that ****... Their excuse was it made milk appear to have more protien... so they opted for 300,000 victims,[1] six infants dying from kidney stones and other kidney damage, and a further 860 babies hospitalized instead of putting actual protien.

But having said that they are making a valiant effort to get the people to start caring about things, they started a revolutionary project where they give hardcore criminals puppies to look after, does not have any bearing on their sentence but they have a companion... its being picked up in other countries for the thereputic purposes... and rehabilitation. Of course you probably wont hear about the abused dogs...
Suda
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
They make those there too? I've been looking for a good source for skinny Rockers.

All mine are getting old and decidedly NOT skinny.
AHAHAHA I laugh!!
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhardcastle View Post

In order to start or expand a business endevor in a capitalistic society one must be able to do one thing, COMPETE.
Doing business with China is not a crime it's what you have to do if you want to COMPETE. What our government and corporate greed has done will take many years to undo if it can be undone at all.
You had no chance of overturning the president of the US's agenda whatsoever, it's not your fault, it was going to happen n matter what, no matter who was in office.
The USA can not just sit by and watch China fail, especially now that they are one of our biggest customers and biggest allies.

You want things to get better, they want things to get better, things will work out, but, are we really ready for them to already be worked out?
No, we haven't evolved past greed yet, when that happens broadscale we'll all move on together and see more eye to eye than not.

Please, talk about mics, it's a happier subject, on topic, and you can do something more than postulate about them.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Left to right - brass mic bodies, K67-type backplates, some boxes with writing and the security system. It works well.
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-bodies.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-backplatecage.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-okt.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-security.jpg  
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

i'd love to try those MJE-K47H LDC capsules with a SDC tube mic....

i'm not looking for a clean/clear sounding large diphragm mic....

i just wish someone would give it a try to see if it works with:

mojave ma-100's
chameleon labs ts-1's
or lauten torches

all these mics use tubes and appear to have a tapered bottom xlr connector.

i feel that these capsules would provide a great option for a tube preamp sdc body.

i look forward to future products of ----- michael, is your company going to stay OKtavamod????? or are you becoming Michael Joly Editions??????
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Left to right - brass mic bodies, K67-type backplates, some boxes with writing and the security system. It works.

down boy!!!!!! that dog looks cute, in that bite your jugular and let you bleed out kinda way..
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
i'd love to try those MJE-K47H LDC capsules with a SDC tube mic....

i'm not looking for a clean/clear sounding large diphragm mic....

i just wish someone would give it a try to see if it works with:

mojave ma-100's
chameleon labs ts-1's
or lauten torches

all these mics use tubes and appear to have a tapered bottom xlr connector.

i feel that these capsules would provide a great option for a tube preamp sdc body.

i look forward to future products of ----- michael, is your company going to stay OKtavamod????? of are you becoming Michael Joly Editions??????
re: MJE-K47H with SDC tube - stay tuned ; )

The mod buisness will remain OktavaMod, the new mic business is Michael Joly Editions. I will also continue to cooperate with other mic manufacturers on co-branded "Michael Joly Edition" (singular form), co-branded mics. Discussions around this are proceeding with a very select number of other manufacturers.

Below is a mock up of a badge on a mic. I'm still playing with colors, font, size etc.
Attached Images
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-mjebadge.jpg 
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
re: MJE-K47H with SDC tube - stay tuned ; )

The mod buisness will remain OktavaMod, the new mic business is Michael Joly Editions. I will also continue to cooperate with other mic manufacturers on co-branded "Michael Joly Edition" (singular form), co-branded mics. Discussions around this are proceeding with a very select number of other manufacturers.

Below is a mock up of a badge on a mic. I'm still playing with colors, font, size etc.
You need a gold metalized plate with raised letters, or silver. Maybe a tallship looking logo to counter the Swedman. Ha ha. Wait, you're Acadien! You can use a shrimpboat and get away with it. I didn't know there were cajuns in Mass. man! Heck, being a cajun, you could use a pic of a shotgun wedding! Bon Temps mes ami! Maybe a hot tamale baby!
Crap, I went off on a zydeco tangent again. Sorry, I like zydeco.

That dog does look cute, like he's sayin, "HEY! Whatchoo lookin at, you flabby rocker?""
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post

That dog does look cute, like he's sayin, "HEY! Whatchoo lookin at, you flabby rocker?""

more like hand over the rest of your prospects and current manufacturing
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

if your putting up your logo for critiques,

i'd have to say i really like the design... that works completely..

the only thing is the bright red, maybe could be dulled down a bit....

or something not so bright.....

i like the idea of bronze with white lettering....

or if the lettering was bronze, or indian red, then the bright red wouldn't stand out as much....
i mean this in the most constructive way

just my opinion, the red won't keep me from using them, and you never really now how it will look until you've seen it in person...
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for the critique. Yeah, I'm totally open to suggestions. That is really a first rev. I've got some done in black on red and different variations. What will remain fixed are the main "formal" elements - the oval shape with accent oval line, large MJE, my name below and "editions" below that.
Old 1st December 2009
Don't mind the red myself (although a deeper red might be less "shocking"), but if you found another font that had a slightly more pronounced "J" for the middle character of the "MJE" it might help the readability. It's bordering on "MIE" at the moment...
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

yeah, "J" is a tough letter. It totally messes with the character spacing. Perhaps a "J" that comes below the baseline. Thanks for that observation. My brother Dave, an illustrator / animator is my imaging guy. I'll pass along all comments.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
re: the new mic business is Michael Joly Editions. I will also continue to cooperate with other mic manufacturers on co-branded "Michael Joly Edition" (singular form), co-branded mics. Discussions around this are proceeding with a very select number of other manufacturers.

Have fun Michael. ;-)
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

LOL. Takes one to know one Brian! Nothing like making your own mistakes ; )
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

I was thinking the letters should be more ornate within the logo, the logo should be metal (or a foil composite) and raised kinda 3-d ish, like a motorcycle logo like Norton bikes, and I dont mind red, but, when you do red, you almost scream "avant garde" unless it's ruby or candy apple red, metallic and translucent, with the raised portions of the foil poking through and the border stripes.
Can you tell I used to own a graphic design company in NYC?
Maybe two lightening bolts, one on either side in gold, logo in silver, border is "badass red" as described above.

Or maybe this:
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

new mics

These new mics sound like a great idea. Will there be a great SDC for around $200? I currently use AT 4041's for drum overheads that are pretty good,but I would love to have something that is a richer sound at that price if it is possible.

I used to have the Josephson C 42's and thought they were good. They were about $400 each.

There seem to be so many really cheap sdc's and not much for $200.

Peter Warren
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

i really like the idea of the hang down 'J'!!!!!!!!!!!

another possibility is to make the corner of the 'M' and 'E' protrude just a bit from the sides of the oval, so they overlap the sides to give it a touch more dimension....
and then if they were also embossed, as two have already mentioned, then it would really POP for a logo!!!!!!!

i also used to work at a sign company designing and creating signs in downtown portland/seattle which makes me feel like i need to critique peoples designs

so take my words with a grain of salt, from an experienced designer..

i have noticed one commonality from everybody's critique, is that something need to be added to the dimension, to make it more 2/3 -D

it has a slightly (please take my critique as a caring response) plain feel with just an oval with fonts inside, by making the fonts bleed out of the shape from both the sides and face could give it a winning edge. and then your mics will be flying off the shelves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Dont forget pouring malamine into baby milk substitutes and poisoning 100's of babies and killing lots... thats only the people who noticed outside of china (what happened there is all hush hush but I remember seeing angry parents by their 1000's outside the factory when hearing was going on...) It took some officials in NZ after the product circulating for 3 months to find out what was in that ****... Their excuse was it made milk appear to have more protien... so they opted for 300,000 victims,[1] six infants dying from kidney stones and other kidney damage, and a further 860 babies hospitalized instead of putting actual protien.

But having said that they are making a valiant effort to get the people to start caring about things, they started a revolutionary project where they give hardcore criminals puppies to look after, does not have any bearing on their sentence but they have a companion... its being picked up in other countries for the thereputic purposes... and rehabilitation. Of course you probably wont hear about the abused dogs...
Suda
That's funny that you didn't mention the fact that the San-Lu factory in China is partially owned by New Zealand and they did NOTHING to stop it--- talk about hypocrisy.

The San-Lu company is 43% owned by Fonterra.

"The next day, Helen Clark, the Prime Minister agreed that the company had been too slow to speak out: "...no doubt their shareholders will want to hold the company accountable for that"

Only after the press noticed that there was poisoned milk did Fonterra start to move slowly to contain the damage BUT NOT BEFORE -- only after they were aware of that fact had become public. I would consider that criminal.

So before you go pointing fingers at others, mr new zealand, start with your own country.

BTW, if you wanna have a go at this then let's go over to the Moan Zone but I'm sick of reading all this s**t on a thread that should be about mics and mics only. Sorry Michael Joly, this economic stuff has sidetracked everything but we're still reading about your mics and more power to your endeavors!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
So before you go pointing fingers at others, mr new zealand, start with your own country.

BTW, if you wanna have a go at this then let's go over to the Moan Zone but I'm sick of reading all this s**t on a thread that should be about mics and mics only. Sorry Michael Joly, this economic stuff has sidetracked everything but we're still reading about your mics and more power to your endeavors!
We hate fonterra as much as anybody else... we are owned (and they are owned by who knows?? certainly not anyone I see) by them, our farmers, everything... the whole of NZ is under their thumb, and we dont take pride in that, believe me, we dont hear about anything they are up to till its too late... im sorry I compeltely went for the moan... wont happen again, I did read the thread for his mics. Yeah what happened is dispicible, yeah we are at fault, we tried the hardest to get people onto it before more **** went down. it was in run with dealing with china thats all, I apologize, to yall and the babies.

Most considered it criminal there was such an effort to take people to trial but never happened....

SORRY GUYS, honestly, continue with the mic discussions please... Im loving that too, ill shut my mouth about that cuz I know nothing about the mics... (nor about the dirt under my nose as it seems, thanks MPCist honestly.)
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Left to right - brass mic bodies, K67-type backplates, some boxes with writing and the security system. It works well.
Man I just watched Lord of war last night, I had to do a second peek at that pic... Imagine if people made mics instead of bullets!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
i really like the idea of the hang down 'J'!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 on that!
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhardcastle View Post

Our government and our corporate greed have created an environment in which a person MUST seek out the most cost effective methods to COMPETE or they will most certainly FAIL.

I have no direct experience with China but I do have direct experience with economic displacement.

Two years ago I lost my programming job to India.
Do I blame the Indian people or the Indian government? NO!
Do I blame the AMERICAN government and AMERICAN corporate GREED? ABSOLUTELY!

This horse has already left the gate people. Doing business with China is not a crime it's what you have to do if you want to COMPETE. What our government and corporate greed has done will take many years to undo if it can be undone at all.

Actually, we got exactly what we wanted. We wanted China to drop communism and integrate into the capitalist world economy. We wanted developing nations to develop. So the U.S. has triumphed. We got the better world we struggled for during the cold war. Woo -hoo!

I remember when many in our government argued that giving China most-favored nation trading status would lead to improving freedoms there. Also, we we told that U.S. businesses were hungry to get into the huge Chinese consumer markets. That was a major selling-point around the time of Tiananmen Square. We would make lots of money in China! Those were the ideas discussed in political talk shows and publications during the 1980's and ever since Nixon.

Funny, no one anticipated that victory over communism might turn the U.S. middle-class into peasants some day.

Of course, we can't forget that the end of history is never. Few ever seem to foresee what will happen on the world stage. I remember in the late 80's everyone bitchin about the rising economic power of Japan. "Buy American" was a slogan used openly in advertisements. Now Japan is being sucked into the Chinese galaxy also.

Maybe if the U.S. goes bust, China will also go bust. If we can't buy anything, who are the Chinese going to sell their mics to?

Sorry for the rambling. I am trying to reach Satori.

By the way, cool pictures all the way through this thread. I love seeing mics at various stages of manufacture.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks a boatload for all the constructive criticism regarding the logo. I'm all about constructive criticism - just ask my wife Meryl ; )

I appreciate all your suggestions, I'm going to copy, paste and send to brother Dave now.

Glad you're enjoying the pics in between the geo-politics. I've actually got a lot of great video of laser / fog light shows, erhu & pipa demonstrations by some lovely young women and a wild multi e-drum session at the Roland booth. I've have to up load that stuff to YouTube, when I'll do I'll post a link to it here.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for all your time man....
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon-of-a-son View Post
Actually, we got exactly what we wanted. We wanted China to drop communism and integrate into the capitalist world economy. We wanted developing nations to develop. So the U.S. has triumphed. We got the better world we struggled for during the cold war. Woo -hoo!
Yeah, only, we did it to support the economic bubble that just popped, not for peace.
Quote:
I remember when many in our government argued that giving China most-favored nation trading status would lead to improving freedoms there. Also, we we told that U.S. businesses were hungry to get into the huge Chinese consumer markets. That was a major selling-point around the time of Tiananmen Square. We would make lots of money in China!
I did the audio for the video for the Whitehouse on that.
Quote:
Those were the ideas discussed in political talk shows and publications during the 1980's and ever since Nixon.
Funny, no one anticipated that victory over communism might turn the U.S. middle-class into peasants some day.
Yes they did, they knew that "if" China didn't hold up their end it would be bad and that it would be tantamount to economic war.
Quote:
Maybe if the U.S. goes bust, China will also go bust. If we can't buy anything, who are the Chinese going to sell their mics to?
Uh, that already happened, China is now helping the recovery, but this is like some jackass swinging in on a rope to save the day, .... right after he screwed it up beyond repair and ran off like a little girl.
Quote:
Sorry for the rambling. I am trying to reach Satori.
By the way, cool pictures all the way through this thread. I love seeing mics at various stages of manufacture.
Mics are cool, world politics suck. Mics are definitely cool.
Old 1st December 2009
Enlightening post, Rick. Thanks.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I made regular trips to Beijing for years and recorded orchestra dates at the CCTV government studios for music for CCTV International. Two huge studios with large recording rooms that could accommodate full orchestras plus. One studio had a Sony Oxford, the other a Neve 88R. Protools, Sony digital 48 track. Quite a setup. The engineers were good, but our concept was different. I had to struggle to get the engineer to build a mix from the rhythm section up. If you listen to traditional Chinese music you'll hear drums and percussion sprinkled on top of a track, not driving it from underneath. In any case, it was a fascinating experience.

Yes, you can get good string tracks, but you'll find the players are more aggressive, or perhaps just enthusiastic, and may lack in dynamic nuance. The biggest problems I had were with brass and French horn. My conductor explained to me, after much intonation difficulty and many cracked notes, that Chinese are just not physically built to play these instruments. Hey, that's him, not me, talking.

Regarding your first point, yes, it was astounding how bad, or at least lacking in common sense, the mixing was by the up and coming engineers. I gave some seminars at the China Central Conservatory, part of which involved critiquing mixes, and I was just befuddled and at a lack of what to say to bring someone around to a credible concept.

The cultural chasm manifests itself in so many ways, all of which I ultimately found fascinating, and at times humbling.

-R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search