The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 26th February 2010
Lives for gear

See. They are famous for that kind of stuff. Their writing style hasn't changed in 20 years. The audiophool community has a field day everytime the company issues a new press release.

Though I do like that bit about the 4th dimension...maybe I can crib that.
Old 26th February 2010
Gear Addict

But why did they call the company "Joly"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
There is a "Joly Loudspeakers" company in Taiwan. They make outlandish claims for their "stereophile" market loudspeakers and are somewhat of a laughing stock in that world.
I'm sad to see you are part of the conspiracy.

Quote:
Though I do like that bit about the 4th dimension...maybe I can crib that.
Above all since it would be true. I mean, what doesn't exist in TIME, exactly??
Old 26th February 2010
"Joly Microphones... timeless!"
Old 26th February 2010
Gear Addict

Jol...illuminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
"Joly Microphones... timeless!"
Joly Speakers... Shameless!

I've got to wonder if they'll somehow weave Michael in their conspiracy, when his line of microphone comes out.
Old 26th February 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't how any Jolys landed in Taiwan.
I suspect that it is a "lost in translation" type of thing. They wanted people to be happy when listening to their speakers, then found the word "jolly" and liked the sound of it. (Probably heard it in a movie line or something) and then accidentally spelled it "joly". I'd be willing to bet $100 on that. Makes sense if you read their PR copy.....
Old 26th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I suspect that it is a "lost in translation" type of thing. They wanted people to be happy when listening to their speakers, then found the word "jolly" and liked the sound of it. (Probably heard it in a movie line or something) and then accidentally spelled it "joly". I'd be willing to bet $100 on that. Makes sense if you read their PR copy.....
Makes even more sense if you've ever tried to read a manual that was written in Chinese and run through Google Translate, then printed.
Old 27th February 2010
Gear Addict

Find Michael on this map:

Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

The Chinese characters they use for 'Joly' (久禮)mean long time() and gift(禮). so the inference is that the speakers are like a gift that will last a long time.
Old 27th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingustoo View Post
The Chinese characters they use for 'Joly' (久禮)mean long time() and gift(禮). so the inference is that the speakers are like a gift that will last a long time.
And you'll be able to enjoy them for an especially long time since these speakers also give good health!

(drBill, you owe mingustoo $100!)
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
And you'll be able to enjoy them for an especially long time since these speakers also give good health!

(drBill, you owe mingustoo $100!)

yeah!...I'll take that!
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

Ha! Nice try Sinocelt - but wrong organization chart. I play for the other team in what could be described as a solo explorer position.
Old 27th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ha! Nice try Sinocelt - but wrong organization chart. I play for the other team in what could be described as a solo explorer position.
Interestingly, I'm currently translating Orson Scott Card's "Homeless in Hell," which actually takes place in a gray world between the two extremes. If you happen to meet Santa during your lonesome expedition, don't let him hire you! Not yet.

Oh, I've got a question... if I'm still allowed to mention mikes in this thread... What are you aiming for, with your SDC? I can imagine that you will install your 47 capsule in both your LDC mikes -- with the tube one being not unlike the original U47, and the FET one not unlike the U47FET. But what about the SDC?

Those are the three microphones you have in the work, right?
Old 27th February 2010
Quote:
There is a "Joly Loudspeakers" company in Taiwan. They make outlandish claims for their "stereophile" market loudspeakers and are somewhat of a laughing stock in that world.

My IP lawyers says the existence of another Joly company is not a problem as they are a loudspeaker company serving the consumer audiophile market and I provide mics to the pro audio community.

I don't how any Jolys landed in Taiwan.
From Joly.com

Quote:
One well-known journalist told Mr. Taso that he could go to visit the very top stereo person in Taiwan - the person (Mr. Shin Jio Suei) is a professor in Taiwan Normal University and he was the first stereo critic in Taiwan that possessed a professorship an Ph.D. in the earlier time. After he listened to the Joly speakers, he was so astonished by them that some "light beams" come out of his eyes right away.
Your first slogan.

"Light up the darkness. Listen to Joly Mics and light beams will come out of your eyes."

Think of it. No more music stand lights! Think of the money people could save replacing light bulbs.

There's your selling point.
Old 27th February 2010
Gear Addict

Good... night... *yawn*

Old 27th February 2010
And come the day you're looking to market these boldly where no mic has gone before...
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-j-logo.jpg  
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Addict

Great, insomnia again... I'd so missed that...

Old 1st March 2010
Gear Addict

Just derailling this thread some more

It must run in the family: now my sister needs a mike too. Only, her budget is a lot lower than mine, and she won't be saving money for two years as I have. I started a thread there. Any suggestion? She won't buy a mike with the thought of having it modded later: shipping from/to France is so expensive that buying a whole new mike, modded or not, will be a better option if she ever wants an upgrade. Also, she isn't a computer klutz, but she's no wizard either, and don't intend to become one, so any mike that sounds greaaat... with tons of EQ and processing... is out.

Old 6th March 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:

I dig it... it looks classy.
Old 6th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I dig it... it looks classy.

definitely the best so far!!!!!!!!!
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Addict

Logos Gone Wrong (from an email I got today)

Kudawara (a pharmacy)

Arlington Pediatric Center
Loving the kids a little too much!

Doughboys
Pizza, salad, panini, and... ze secret ingredient?

Atherton Car Centre

Dental clinic

Another dental clinic

Any idea what this is supposed to be??

Old 8th April 2010
Gear Addict

More Logos Gone Wrong

Instituto de Estudos Orientais

Megaflicks
Not the best font for this word -- lettering too close! But helps with sales!!!

Kids Exchange
As if this name didn't sound weird enough, they decided to write it together!

A-Style
Really classy.

Computer Doctors

Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Yep....frickin' funny!

Many years ago a friend and I decided to start a window washing business on the side. While thinking of names, we laughingly came up with something and decided, WTF, let's just do it.

We did an advertisement that had our logo - a large phallic looking hollow arrow with our company name inside of it: Sport 'N Woody's Window Washing.

I can't tell you how many people (women) asked about our name, which we said were nicknames given to us by our grandfather (him Sport, me woody). Of course, we weren't related.

Anyhow, we seemed to have gotten a lot of business just because some people were so curious they just HAD to call us. We laughed every-time the issue came up, which seemed like every inquiry.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

They are just TOO funny........!!!!!
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Reminds me of a Hotel I stayed at in Puerto Vallarta: the Hotel Ana Lise
Old 8th April 2010
Quote:
Any idea what this is supposed to be??

As a father of five, I would suspect that this logo is for children's potties. Been there, done that.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

All I can say is - given the historic origin of the name "Joly" (in medieval French circa 1138 "jolif" meant "lascivious") I'm glad Sinocelt steered clear of any anatomical references in his logo design work for me.
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
Anyhow, we seemed to have gotten a lot of business just because some people were so curious they just HAD to call us. We laughed every-time the issue came up, which seemed like every inquiry.
What works... works. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
As a father of five, I would suspect that this logo is for children's potties. Been there, done that.
Hold you child so (s)he doesn't fall in? That makes sense... But gosh, is this potty badly drawn!

Which reminds me: I went to the movie theater this week. I go less than once a year, so maybe customs are changing and I didn't realize, but... I went twice to the toilets, and twice met little girls (with their father) in the men's room! Happily, I always use the stalls, not the urinals.

Quote:
All I can say is - given the historic origin of the name "Joly" (in medieval French circa 1138 "jolif" meant "lascivious") I'm glad Sinocelt steered clear of any anatomical references in his logo design work for me.
... until now. But I'm gathering reference material. Since I strive for a microphone logo with a "high end" feel, I decided to draw inspiration from your country's esteemed leaders:

Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

talk about Sport 'N Woody!
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
talk about Sport 'N Woody!
Why talk? A logo is worth a thousand words.

The J is made to look like a musical note. Of course.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search