The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 24th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Well, my highly-respected IP lawyer shot both logos down and encouraged me to simply use "Joly" or "Joly Microphones" and develop logos based on that. He argues that over the long run, as I begin to reach new audiences beyond people who already know of me, that "Joly" is very short, memorable and can be the foundation of a strong brand trademark.
As I already stated, I agree with your lawyer (not that my opinion matters, of course, compared to his). Better use only Joly, since it is available. But while it does invalidate this logo:

It doesn't invalidate this one:

As you will remember, it has been criticized as not being "clear enough" (the M and the J are not immediately visible). To which I and others answered that it doesn't have to be. I'll use my favorite example again, Audio Technica. Their complete logo is made of a bug and a name:

But they can use the bug separately on their products (it fits better, and looks better):

And you can do the same. Audio Technica's bug doesn't have A and T in it; Mercedes's doesn't have an M; etc. A bug "only" needs to look good and distinctive, and to have meaning for you, to be fit to represent you.

In the present case, the MJ bug can be that, I believe: your initials, interlinked, with a shape that is reminiscent of the classical diamond and thus hints to your love for the "old" sound.

Most people won't even see the initials unless someone already in the know point them out, and even then, if they don't know that your first name is Michael, they'll think that the M stands for Microphone.
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Good points. Plus that bug also reads as "HU" in the negative space. But I won't go down that metaphsyical path. So yesterday's lawyer visit was not a complete loss - the interlocking MJ graphic bug is still on - its been reduced to its essence (oops, Alchemy again) and cannot be improved.
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Michael, go back and look from page #20 on.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
Maybe you should learn how to read.
And maybe you should learn how to follow a hyperlink! If you had followed the one in my last post, you'd have noticed that I praised your work in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin
I also like Sinocelt's block letter logos. They are attractive, distinct and memorable, especially the diamond-like ones.
Still think that I "spat on" your work?

Quote:
The problem wasn't the logos, but the name: his lawyer told him that his company should not have "Michael" in its name.
The problem, in my view, was with the whole process. If the IP attorney's views were going to carry that much weight, then he should have been involved at the outset. A professional branding project would have been conducted privately, and it would have considered the question of a brand name along with, and generally prior to, the creation of an actual logo.

If you're even half the professional you think you are -- and I don't doubt that you are -- then you'll probably agree with me.

JSL
Old 25th February 2010
Quote:
I know. I feel like 'here we go again'. 15 minutes with my IP lawyer undid lots of community work around this issue. I just never wanted to use my surname as the company name and I've having some trouble getting my head around that idea despite my lawyers convincing argument to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Nothing wrong with in the slightest! Putting it on your license plate-- yeah, tacky.

But as your brand? Why the hell not?
It never hurt Willi Studer or Georg Neumann.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Lynn, thanks for following along - and for voicing your opinion.
Old 25th February 2010
Quote:
Hey Lynn, thanks for following along - and for voicing your opinion.
Well, it's worth every bit as much as you paid for it.

;-)
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Still think that I "spat on" your work?
No, and I apologize. I made you the victim of the frustration I had accumulated throughout this thread (and more recently in another). I should have exploded sooner, if at all, and against... someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
The problem, in my view, was with the whole process. If the IP attorney's views were going to carry that much weight, then he should have been involved at the outset. A professional branding project would have been conducted privately, and it would have considered the question of a brand name along with, and generally prior to, the creation of an actual logo.

If you're even half the professional you think you are -- and I don't doubt that you are -- then you'll probably agree with me.
I do, yes. And I admit I am not competent to discuss branding (well, I could tell you that The Jolly Joly Microphones wouldn't quite fit, but that's about it).
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Hey, Bonjour et Ni Hao Sinocelt. I hope you'll still feel welcome in this thread. Just practice a little Buddhist detachment and you'll do fine here.
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey, Bonjour et Ni Hao Sinocelt. I hope you'll still feel welcome in this thread. Just practice a little Buddhist detachment and you'll do fine here.
Taoists tried to teach me to let go: to go with the flow. I'm dreadfully bad at it.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

That's probably why you're living where you are. I, on the other hand, am struggling to maintain some Cartesian order in my life.
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's probably why you're living where you are. I, on the other hand, am struggling to maintain some Cartesian order in my life.
Well, actually yes, you're right. I wouldn't have left France in the first place. It's made my life more interesting, but certainly not easier.

Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Well, actually yes, you're right. I wouldn't have left France in the first place. It's made my life more interesting, but certainly not easier.
Sounds like both you boys need a little Ozark order in your lives. Grab a glass of something good and watch the dog sleep for a while. In the quiet, very important.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

I copyrighted mine hahahaha, It's MY service mark!
Just kidding, things could be worse people, the idea is to take what you got and make it better. No matter where you are, you are there for a reason, what's before your eyes is your area to work in. Make it a game worth playing to support a life worth living.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Sounds like both you boys need a little Ozark order in your lives. Grab a glass of something good and watch the dog sleep for a while. In the quiet, very important.
I heard that!
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've got several deadlines as a writer, and emails pile up as a professor. I've slept less than five hours this past night. The dog may sleep, but I can't.

And on that, I'll get to proofreading this paper before it gets published.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Sinocelt;5144919]Well, actually yes, you're right. I wouldn't have left France in the first place. It's made my life more interesting, but certainly not easier.

...true dat!
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Is this worth a reconsideration?...with refinements of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingustoo View Post
Has this direction been hashed yet?[/IMG]
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got several deadlines as a writer, and emails pile up as a professor. I've slept less than five hours this past night. The dog may sleep, but I can't.

And on that, I'll get to proofreading this paper before it gets published.
Yeah, I know. Just make it a point to catch a little rest now and again. I used to be Superman too, but I'm in my 50's now, and I get grumpy without six hours at least.

I like mingustoo's idea.

Last edited by Old Goat; 25th February 2010 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: add
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm down with that! What's your favorite libation Goat? I used to be a Jack Daniels man, just sippin a bit y'understan, but I'm amenable to the local flavors. The more local the better actually.

re: dogs - I've been teaching my boy cat Strider to roll-over and stretch - does a pretty good dog imitation. But I do look forward to getting one of man's best friends when I get some space for him to romp in.
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-strider-close-2.jpg  
Old 26th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, and I apologize. I made you the victim of the frustration I had accumulated throughout this thread (and more recently in another). I should have exploded sooner, if at all, and against... someone else.
No biggie. I've done worse. I mean, let's be honest, I'll probably do worse in the next 15 minutes.

If you're not competent to discuss branding, then you just bring a third party into the discussion who is. Branding is like the preproduction of corporate identity design work. You have to do this stuff in the right order.

JSL
Old 26th February 2010
j

I am kind of getting cozy to the idea that soon, whenever you see a lower case "j", you will unconsciously feel a rush of warmth, and respect, and "treasured-ness" for your Joly modded microphone-- quite without even realizing it, even!
Old 26th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm down with that! What's your favorite libation Goat? I used to be a Jack Daniels man, just sippin a bit y'understan, but I'm amenable to the local flavors. The more local the better actually.

re: dogs - I've been teaching my boy cat Strider to roll-over and stretch - does a pretty good dog imitation. But I do look forward to getting one of man's best friends when I get some space for him to romp in.
I used to swill ungodly quantities of cheap beer, but after an NDE I went dry for a while. Now the wife and I like our brandy at 4 PM, wine with supper, or--like tonight--a locally brewed beer. Hot apple cider with a splash of rum makes a nice nightcap...

Our new dog is apparently a special-needs beagle. He exhibits behavior suggesting past drug abuse, like staring blankly into space in the middle of crossing the room.
Old 26th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
j
I think Joel's on to something actually:
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-j-mics.jpg  
Old 26th February 2010
Lives for gear

Or even something like this, perhaps with different fonts and such:

Anyway, that's my contribution. Just a sudden flash of inspiration. Wish I would have made my own business name better - maybe in the future I will redesign everything with a good logo and trade name.
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-j-mics-2.jpg  
Old 26th February 2010
Lives for gear

(last one promise!)
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-j-mics-3.jpg  
Old 26th February 2010
Gear Addict

Simple, fitting, distinctive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post

I really like this one. Not the two that followed (you can't use a j as an i).
Old 26th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingustoo View Post
Is this worth a reconsideration?...with refinements of course
Well, the name has changed: it'll be Joly, or Joly Microphones. So what would you put on the third face?

By the way, Michael, I prefer "Joly" to "Joly Microphones" for two reasons:
  • You don't want someone else to brand "Joly."
  • You don't want to sell jolly microphones.
Old 26th February 2010
Lives for gear

There is a "Joly Loudspeakers" company in Taiwan. They make outlandish claims for their "stereophile" market loudspeakers and are somewhat of a laughing stock in that world.

My IP lawyers says the existence of another Joly company is not a problem as they are a loudspeaker company serving the consumer audiophile market and I provide mics to the pro audio community.

I don't how any Jolys landed in Taiwan.
Old 26th February 2010
You might want to studiously avoid their ad copy style...

"The realistic sounds from the Joly speakers will give us the high fidelity enjoyment, happiness and health. Only the complete 3-D surround sounds of Joly can bring our thoughts and sensations into the wonders of the 4th dimension."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search