The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
oops, yeah that wasn't clear. The noise floor of my new SDC will be lower than the '012 in the way that I described above.
...but still

I'll rephrase:

Will the K47 heads on a '012 body have the same noise and SPL specs as the it has on the '603 body - that's the question!

Your first answer gave me the impression that K47/012 had better noise specs than the K47/603. Was that correct?

...and SPL?
[Oktavas are generally not to fond of high sound pressure levels, but maybe it's the capsules].

Best,
Mads
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't done anechoic chamber max SPL-to-noise floor tests yet to compare my K47H head on the '012 vs the 603. So I don't have a definitive answer for you.
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't done anechoic chamber max SPL-to-noise floor tests yet to compare my K47H head on the '012 vs the 603. So I don't have a definitive answer for you.
Ok I see - looking forward to it!

M
Old 24th January 2010
Lives for gear

any word on capabilities of sdc tube mics, such as the chameleon labs ts-1 or the mojave ma-100's, with the MJM K47H ldc caps?????

i'm really hoping they work together....., something i've been interested in for some time.
Old 30th January 2010
Also, when should we expect the first batches to hit market here?

I call dibs on the cheapest one! (maybe test mic)
Old 30th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
any word on capabilities of sdc tube mics, such as the chameleon labs ts-1 or the mojave ma-100's, with the MJM K47H ldc caps?????

i'm really hoping they work together....., something i've been interested in for some time.
Unfortunately the Chameleon Labs TS-1 has a different body size, thread size and contact type so it is not compatible with MJE-K47H capsule head. I'm working on a version for the Mojave MA-100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo View Post
Also, when should we expect the first batches to hit market here?
Spring 2010
Old 30th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately the Chameleon Labs TS-1 has a different body size, thread size and contact type so it is not compatible with MJE-K47H capsule head. I'm working on a version for the Mojave MA-100.
Spring 2010
thanks a lot for that reply..... so i'm going to assume that if i buy the mojave's now its pretty much guaranteed that there will eventually be a k47h LDC for them.

not trying to be redundant............ but.....
because i wasn't sure by your post if you are just going to test the compatibility, or if your are making one specifically for the MA100's?

ever since i heard about ur release of the k47h, i just thought it would be so fantastic to have the option of putting that head onto a tube SDc....

anyway.......... thanks for your reply....
and can't wait for your personal line!!!!!!!
Old 31st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...i wasn't sure by your post if you are just going to test the compatibility, or if your are making one specifically for the MA100's?

ever since i heard about ur release of the k47h, i just thought it would be so fantastic to have the option of putting that head onto a tube SDC...
You should make your purchase decision about the MA100 based on it being a SDC tube mic. If all the stars line up there I'll have a LDC for it. But unlike my own business where I'm the only decision-maker, there are other voices that have to be heard from.
Old 1st February 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Did you get a chance to check out this stereo ribbon mic while on your trip?
Shanghai ShuaiYin Electronics Co., Ltd.
Old 1st February 2010
Lives for gear

No, they didn't have any mics wired up for demonstration. But that mic uses two of the "FatHead / RSM-4" type ribbon motors so that should give you an idea of its sound.

On a related subject - I've got the new ShuaiYin end-address "broadcast" mics here for evaluation (see the top left pic in the first post in this thread). I'll loan it out to someone to check out, if you can prove you've got both an SM7 and RE 20 in your studio and are willing to write a report and post comparative audio of all three mics.
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Mandarin fluent (read, write, speak) gearsluts.

While I have great relationships with my Chinese vendors I am in need of "eyes and ears" on the ground in China.

Please email me: michael @ Oktavamod.com if you have an interest in learning about my needs and telling me about your skills and interests.
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinddot View Post
Great! I think you're being very kind and informative, manufacturers aren't usually like this.

Michael, a few more questions, this time about the LDC/multi-pattern/tube/transformer mic releasing in a few months

will it have your K47? (I guess so)
will it be avalible with the 6 micron version?
will it have the same head-basket as your MJE-K47H? (I really like it)

If the price is right I think I'll be buying a mic or two from you.

thanks again!
Michael I think you missed my questions regarding your new mics.. would you be so kind to answer?

I'd like to add:

what kind of transformer will it use?
chatode follower?

thanks
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

oops, sorry about that blinddot.

All my LDC mics will use my MJE-K47 capsule. In addtion I am doing the R&D to produce a limited number of voicing variations within the K47 design type by working with diaphragm thickness and tuning. The intention being to offer clients a choice - but still stay in the K47 "ballpark". Transformers from a number of vendors are being evaluated, not decision yet. Circuit topology is still in flux.
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

oh, btw - thanks for the initial inquiries from Mandarin-speaking Gearslutz. I know there are a few more out there. Please email me if you have an interest in talking to me about being my "eyes and ears" in China. best, M
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Maniac

Michael,
Let me know about your discoveries concerning the "Broadcast" mic.
Very interesting.
Willie
Vo Mic Test
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

thanks Michael

your mics look very interesting to me. Looking forward to listen to them

Old 4th February 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III View Post
Not to say the food in Beijing is bad - it's absolutely the opposite!!! Culinary heaven.
Ditto Hong Kong.

Look forward to hearing the mics, Mike! If you need feet on the ground in HK, hit me up.
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Doing some house-cleaning in advance of my IP lawyer visit. After taking a good long break from this process to freshen my eyes I've selected:

AND as the finalists.

Thanks to the folks who've contributed design ideas and comments along the way. I still intend to make good on my offer of some kind of purchase discount in the future to make my thanks more tangible. Sinocelt - you and I need to talk about your design compensation.
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Doing some house-cleaning in advance of my IP lawyer visit. After taking a good long break from this process to freshen my eyes I've selected:

AND as the finalists.

Thanks to the folks who've contributed design ideas and comments along the way. I still intend to make good on my offer of some kind of purchase discount in the future to make my thanks more tangible. Sinocelt - you and I need to talk about your design compensation.
I like #2. The first one looked like a tipped over E. Every time I looked at it, I saw "E". I had to look at it 2-3 times to figure out what it was. Then.....doh! The light went on, but I don't think needing multiple glances is a good thing for a logo. Maybe if it was slightly rotated........

I like the microphone aspect of the second as well, although the first would allow you to move in other directions if that ever came about.
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Well, my highly-respected IP lawyer shot both logos down and encouraged me to simply use "Joly" or "Joly Microphones" and develop logos based on that. He argues that over the long run, as I begin to reach new audiences beyond people who already know of me, that "Joly" is very short, memorable and can be the foundation of a strong brand trademark.

So it look likes I'm back to the drawing board again.
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, my highly-respected IP lawyer shot both logos down and encouraged me to simply use "Joly" or "Joly Microphones" and develop logos based on that. He argues that over the long run, as I begin to reach new audiences beyond people who already know of me, that "Joly" is very short, memorable and can be the foundation of a strong brand trademark.

So it look likes I'm back to the drawing board again.
i can agree with your lawyer in some respect, especially in regards to using just "joly" (its not to often that a designer have a last name that fits so universally across many product ranges, while still being original to just YOU!)...... and i can see what dr.bill is saying about the first logo.....

however, the second logo, although might not be the best logo to stamp on a mic, would be a perfect seal for your packaging... and your letter head.... things like that.... good luck with finding a logo..... it can be a real long process before one meets your eye that tickles your fancy.
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

The first one is OK.However, if you reduce the width, keep the height instead of 2 square shapes it will appear more ... Musical to the eye?
Old 24th February 2010
Well, yunno, the thing about a lower case "j"-- it is kind of a microphone already!
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly.jpg  
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

I know. I feel like 'here we go again'. 15 minutes with my IP lawyer undid lots of community work around this issue. I just never wanted to use my surname as the company name and I've having some trouble getting my head around that idea despite my lawyers convincing argument to do so.
Old 24th February 2010
Nothing wrong with in the slightest! Putting it on your license plate-- yeah, tacky.

But as your brand? Why the hell not?
Old 24th February 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just never wanted to use my surname as the company name and I've having some trouble getting my head around that idea despite my lawyers convincing argument to do so.
Did he bother to check with the Green Giant to make sure it was OK??? heh heh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jo...2006-05-20.JPG
Old 24th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
He argues that over the long run, as I begin to reach new audiences beyond people who already know of me, that "Joly" is very short, memorable and can be the foundation of a strong brand trademark.
He's right. Look at Neumann: the name of the company is actually "Georg Neumann" but few people know that, and even less people care. "Neumann" is short, memorable, and that's what stuck.

Quote:
i can agree with your lawyer in some respect, especially in regards to using just "joly" (its not to often that a designer have a last name that fits so universally across many product ranges, while still being original to just YOU!)
*nod*

Quote:
however, the second logo, although might not be the best logo to stamp on a mic, would be a perfect seal for your packaging... and your letter head.... things like that....
Better not. It could be confusing. Whatever logo Michael (sorry: Mr. Joly ) ends up with, he should use it everywhere.
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Geez, Michael ... how much did you pay this guy to tell you what I told you two months ago, for free?

The idea that a corporate logo would make a good community project was never sound. Had it succeeded, it would have been by blind luck alone. If you like some of what you saw here, you should engage the designers directly, off-line, and have a real, professional, creative process with one of them.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you, this is your business here, your life ... not a Wikipedia entry.

JSL
Old 24th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
The idea that a corporate logo would make a good community project was never sound.
Maybe you should learn how to read. The problem wasn't the logos, but the name: his lawyer told him that his company should not have "Michael" in its name.

The logos he'd selected were mine -- not a community project, even if I listened to feedback (but maybe it would have been more professional of me to play the diva and tell everyone that their opinion wasn't worth ****). I've got professional credentials, and if I was good enough for Microsoft, I think I may not produce complete crap.

Yes, I'm starting to get annoyed. You would be, too, if I spat on stuff you do or have done for a living.
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

A little back story is in order. In my formative years, age 20 or so, I lived in San Francisco and was a member of Haight-Ashbury Community Radio / People's media collective. This was the mid '70's and the spirit of pro-bono, "people's" community projects was very much in the air. A few years later in Boston, I lived in an artists Live-Work space (the old Chickering piano factory) and was the gallery director - even though I was not a visual artist. I was also heavily involved in the Piano Factory tenants' association and the South End's Childrens's Arts Center So I have a long standing interest and history of participating in community media projects.

Further, my presence on the forums over these past 17 years (starting with USENET's rec.pro.audio) has been characterized by what I hope is mostly viewed as a sharing spirit.

So those two factors taken together, (my interested in communal media and my contributions to communal media) led me quite naturally to ask for opinions and designs from the community I'm a part of.

As to logo design - Sinocelt and others did excellent design work based on the design specs I laid out - first, to use MJE (michael joly editions) then (michael joly microphones) as the brand identity. So again, I'm very thankful to all who offered designs and comments.

I can't reveal the business strategy reasons my IP lawyer laid out that finally convinced me of the validity of the (previously offered) advice to use my surname as the company name. But this shall be the new direction.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search