The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
oops, my bad. I'll be doing a K47-type capsule head for the '012, but everything else I mentioned will be complete, stand-alone mics.
Oh. Well, I suppose we'll just have to cope...
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post

Show us what you've been working on!
Here are versions of my original design with the "J" I spoke of, serif and sans.

Attachment 151324 Attachment 151325Attachment 151528
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

I like the badge.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

therre is something really awesome about that dark red badge...

i just think it needs to be changed to MJM, editions to microphones..

but something simple that looks like its futureproof....

very cool logo.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
In early Spring I'll have a K47-type capsule head for the MK-012 body. Also in various stages of design and prototyping are a SDC FET / transformer, LDC FET / transformer, LDC tube multi-pattern / transformer and a ribbon mic. None of these are re-branded catalog mics.
Wonderful - I wonder what character it'll "give" the K47 to be used with the Oktava MK012 body as opposed to the standard Schoeps like circuit. Have you made any experiments Michael..?

Will the SDC FET be made to accept different capsule heads?

Best,
Mads

Old 5th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
Perhaps there's money in learning to sing in Mandarin and starting a new pop/rock revolution in East Asia...
Bowie has already done that back in '97:
Seven Years In Tibet (Mandarin version)

Maybe they weren't ready for it then or the subject matter was a bit controversial. But I think it became a fairly big hit.
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
Sinocelt hasn't submitted a logo in several hours. Maybe he committed hara-kiri.
I live in Taiwan. Chinese customs demand that I favor the silk cord over the kozuka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Rotate the logo 90˚ CCW. Now it looks like M and J. At least to me.
Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
I like the badge.
When I first read it described as a badge or a forester's emblem, I must say I was confused.
For the French, this is a blazon, a shield, a heraldic emblem -- a noble symbol, thus, and so even more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
therre is something really awesome about that dark red badge...
Yes... but for the fact that it cannot be always red. Its basic color should be... no color at all. The classic example is:

->

DRP, when you have time, could you show us your logo without all the renderings (volume effects, shadows, even color if you may)? I love those, of course, as I've enthusiastically demonstrated in this thread, but they can't be used in all situations, such as simple engravings or black-and-white paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
i just think it needs to be changed to MJM, editions to microphones..
DRP's well aware of that, I'm sure, but he's been quite busy recently. Anyway, his logo will look even better now that the E has become an M, thanks to the added symmetry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp audio View Post
Here are versions of my original design with the "J" I spoke of, serif and sans.
Serif looks better, in itself, but swap the E with an M and sans serif allows better symmetry.

Quote:
In early Spring I'll have a K47-type capsule head for the MK-012 body. Also in various stages of design and prototyping are a SDC FET / transformer, LDC FET / transformer, LDC tube multi-pattern / transformer and a ribbon mic. None of these are re-branded catalog mics.
The LDC FET is what interests me most, a priori, since I surmise you intend to "beat" the sound of the Oktavamod MK219PE and MK319PE -- the microphones that explain my presence here.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Other logos:
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-other-logos.jpg  
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rotate the logo 90˚ CCW. Now it looks like M and J. At least to me.
Here.
Worse. Now it looks like a frontwards "E".

Remember this?

Old 6th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
oops, my bad. I'll be doing a K47-type capsule head for the '012, but everything else I mentioned will be complete, stand-alone mics.
Hello MJ!

Are you going to do anything like for MBHO bodies (like my 604s)?

They look like a lot the modular Schoeps, but I'm not sure about capsule compatibilities. The capsules look almost identical.

I would love to try some large diafragms on them...

best regards,
ave.
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

I'll have to look into that, thanks for the suggestion. The basic design work has already been done for the capsule head so it comes down to matching three features: body diameter, thread sizing and contact type. Not a major redesign in other words.
Old 7th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
Worse. Now it looks like a frontwards "E".

Remember this?

"Editions Joly."

Now we're getting somewhere.
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp audio View Post

Attachment 151324 Attachment 151325Attachment 151528
This doesn't work for several reasons.
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Okay, there I admit we're dealing with a subject I'm not familiar with, so if I get it all wrong, do please set me straight. Memph's post seems to indicate that GM received billions in "loans" from the American government. If I remember the story correctly, the motor industry failed big time and its magnates, multi-millionaires each, started asking daddy for money, arguing that letting them suffer the consequences of their mismanagement would put many American workers out of a job. But now GM intends to use this money to import cars from China?? How does that fit?
It doesn't fit, nothing here makes any sense at all now, and it won't until something bad happens to sort it out again.
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
It doesn't fit, nothing here makes any sense at all now, and it won't until something bad happens to sort it out again.
The only sense I can make out of it is that GM wanted into the biggest emerging market on earth, unapologetic and recalcitrant polluters, the Chinese. They got it, it was cheap to get rid of them. They get payed to keep America on it's knees to foreign oil. Good riddance. Problem now is the Chinese are selling us "green cars" electric vehicles we would have bought from GM if they'd made a decent one, instead of a hybrid SUV that got the same mileage as a gas guzzler.
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
This doesn't work for several reasons.
It does if you put "SPEED LIMIT 65 MPH" on it.
Old 7th January 2010
Someone needs to take the "Planet Joly" idea and run with it.
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
so no LDC/FET/multi-pattern??

won't you be making 6 micron K47s at all?

I'd love to be able to get a 6 micron K47/class A FET/transformer output/multi-pattern/wedge head-basket mic.

thanks for the info.

Old 7th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinddot View Post
I'd love to be able to get a 6 micron K47/class A FET/transformer output/multi-pattern/wedge head-basket mic.
You didn't mention what color you'd like.
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
so no LDC/FET/multi-pattern?? ...won't you be making 6 micron K47s at all? ...I'd love to be able to get a 6 micron K47/class A FET/transformer output/multi-pattern/wedge head-basket mic...
re: LDC / FET / Multi-pattern - yes, just not in the first group of mics due this Spring.

re: 6 micron k47-type capsule - yes, I'll be offering variations of my MJE-K47 capsule. These are being designed to deliver the basic "K47" sound, but with several different "personality variations" achieved by working with the most important capsule parameters - diaphragm thickness, resonant frequency et al.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
You didn't mention what color you'd like.
Oh true! I want it in silver! heh

doh! I keep forgetting! I want very little NFB loop. heh

Thanks for the info Michael, your mics look indeed promising!

Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

doh! I keep forgetting! I want very little NFB loop. heh...
For sure. I prefer mics without negative feedback or built-in EQ sections.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great! I think you're being very kind and informative, manufacturers aren't usually like this.

Michael, a few more questions, this time about the LDC/multi-pattern/tube/transformer mic releasing in a few months

will it have your K47? (I guess so)
will it be avalible with the 6 micron version?
will it have the same head-basket as your MJE-K47H? (I really like it)

If the price is right I think I'll be buying a mic or two from you.

thanks again!
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't know about that. Couldn't you hardwire auto-tune? heh
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should make one.
Just one, they do have their purpose. There are some girls that only sound good through one.
Maybe you could make a line of inline modules for pad, rolloff, and de-emphasis???
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know about that. Couldn't you hardwire auto-tune? heh
Autotune has a use, it just isn't in music, there is a much bigger market for tech like that in physics.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

I had the idea of a mic modular system some time ago, something like this:

Capsule:
6 micron K47 - 3 micron K47

Headbasket:
wedge (u67/m49 style) - cylinder (u47 style)

Head-amp:
NFB - non NFB

Output transformer:
Fast & clean - Slow & colored (it could be different core metals)

You could have two mics and try diferent sounds by swapping parts. I guess it would be the utlimate work-horse studio mic.

Just an idea!

Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

I like the concept in theory, but in practice I don't like the idea microphone signal level parts being swapped around and the reliance on connectors and the potential for signal degradation. And swappable capsules would introduce a potential physical damage hazard as well.

For these reasons any personalization of mics I offer will be realized as user-specified options that I install at the time of final assembly and then test and certify.
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Addict

The China Price

One of the things that has severely hurt the US economy has been the China Price. Companies in the US simply can't compete with the low cost of labor in China, and jobs have been steadily eroding here in the US for the last few decades. Look at the situation now, with unemployment at over 10% and REAL unemployment (those that don't collect unemployment) at least double that.

How can a country be prosperous if we don't make anything?

I would be very excited to see manufacturing done right here in the US by people who are talented and need jobs. A China trip? Not so exciting. Sorry to derail this thread with reality, but them's the facts.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Way back in the early part of this thread I argued that loss of manufacturing jobs is not is causing high US unemployment - but rather, the poor quality of public education does not turn out enough entrepreneurial thought-leaders and creators of high-value added products and services.

The answer is not to try and regain some industrial-age manufacturing dominance - but rather strive to work at higher levels of the Maslow pyramid where products and services are more highly valued than those that occupy lower levels.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search