The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
Ah well, we can't agree on all points.
I guess not.....and seeing as how you're the designer......well......

Thanks for putting the two on a Noiman; however, why did you make the lower logo so large that it didn't fit?
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
I guess not.....and seeing as how you're the designer......well......
Designer or not, by the end the choice isn't mine either.

Quote:
Thanks for putting the two on a Noiman; however, why did you make the lower logo so large that it didn't fit?
To give a vague idea of how it'd wrap. I'll make a smaller one for you and add it to my previous post, then I really must focus on other matters!
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You make some very valid points.
With that said:
1. Do you know Sinocelts background/work-history?
2. I'd be more than mildly surprised if someone came up with something better than what he has produced - he really has done a great job (he is, after-all, a professional in his field). If I simply look around at my gear, I can positively say, in my opinion, his logo trumps many, dare I say most of those on other equipment.

Let's look at some, shall we?

1. (EDIT...snip) Sinocelt, seems the majority here are digging your work. (EDIT... back handed apology snipped)... happy new year, bro.

2. Microtech Gefell, Charter Oak, Cascade (without the bevel & emboss) and even Audio-Technica work for me... the others, not so much... but they already have established a name and reputation for themselves and one of them sells boatloads of mics 'cause they're the cheapest and another because they're "the best" ... so I guess either one is in a position to not really give a rats arse what people think of their logo. Yes, in the end, people buy mics, not logos.
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
happy new year, bro.
Happy new year to you too!
Old 3rd January 2010
After I get the bumper sticker, lapel pin and vanity license plate, then.... the tattoo!
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
After I get the bumper sticker, lapel pin and vanity license plate, then.... the tattoo!
Okay, now that's a good argument in favor of a bug logo if I've ever read one, cuz I don't think Michael wants to see his name tattooed on a guy.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think Michael wants to see his name tattooed on a guy.
So........does Joel still qualify for for the Joly tattoos?
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

OK, Joel only. I don't want this to be trend.

Re: Logo, next steps - I'm going to have some independent eyes look over this thread and run couple of ideas by my lawyer. He doesn't move on Internet time so we'll have to amuse ourselves here with China-bashing or some such until he gets back to me.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Joel,

Does that automatically mean an "asstattoo"?heh
Maybe some "Joly Edition" Modified jeans to show it off? (big hole cut in back so tatt peaks through)
I'm not so sure a "fist" tattoo is such a good idea now.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
we'll have to amuse ourselves here with China-bashing or some such
Okay, why isn't China presently making and exporting cars?
I want my Lamborghini clone for $4,298.95, tax and tags included.
I'll replace the spark plugs and put on a ground effects kit myself.
Then I'll an have an aftermarket turbo put in and I'll be all set.
Old 3rd January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
... Does that automatically mean....
I'm thinking forehead?
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you seen the modified Tata Nano?
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-modified_tata_nano.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
You owe me a mic.
Me, too!
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
GreenTech Automotive To Make New Cars At Mississippi Plant
Published:14-October-2009
By Staff Reporter

Company plans to open a $6.5 billion plant on 1,500 acres in Tunica County

GreenTech Automotive has unveiled four prototype vehicles, which it plans to produce at a proposed multibillion-dollar plant in northwestern Mississippi, reported Gasgoo, quoting The Associated Press as its source.
GreenTech Automotive plans to open a $6.5 billion plant on 1,500 acres in Tunica County, south of Memphis, Tennessee. The company aims to manufacture affordable cars matching lower emissions and fuel-consumption standards.
Xiaolin Wang, owner of GreenTech Automotive, said that the plant is expected to employ 4,500 people and manufacture around 250,000 fuel-efficient cars per annum.
The newly launched prototypes were built in China, which include a midsize four-door hybrid to get 50 mpg, a zero-emissions electric car, a gasoline car to get 65 mpg and a hybrid sports coupe to get 45 mpg and to go from 0-60 mph in less than 5.9 seconds.

CHINESE TIRE SURGES AND THE U.S. AUTO INDUSTRY
Posted by SCapozzola on April 23rd, 2009

Earlier this week, the United Steelworkers (USW) filed a section 421 trade case against Chinese tire manufacturers. The case notes that thousands of U.S. automotive jobs have been lost over the past four years due to a surge of subsidized car and truck tires from China. Section 421 of U.S. trade law allows relief from rapid increases in imports that cause “market disruption” to a domestic industry. In this instance, the petition asks the Obama administration to place import restrictions on Chinese tires for the next three years.

The U.S. automotive industry is greatly hurting right now, with GM initiating a 15-plant shutdown for nine weeks this summer in order to cut costs. The section 421 filing joins other recent U.S. trade cases against Chinese manufacturers, including a petition by U.S. steelmakers against unfairly dumped steel pipe from China.

The USW has provided some specifics of the damage posed by surging Chinese tires:

-46 million Chinese tires entered the U.S. market in 2008 annually, with a value of more than $1.7 billion. Production of Chinese tires is aided by illegal currency manipulation and other subsidies.

-Documents submitted in the section 421 case show imports of consumer tires from China increased from 2004 to 2008 by 215 percent in volume and 295 percent by value. Imports have nearly tripled by volume during the surge period, while domestic production of consumer tires have declined by more than 25 percent.

-U.S. consumer tire-producing states include: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.

-Nearly 7,000 U.S. tire workers have been affected by six factory shutdowns of consumer tires since 2004. The latest plant closing was announced last week by Michelin North America of the BF Goodrich unit in Opelika, Al., involving 1,000 workers. Other shutdown tire plants during 2004-08 include Continental Tire, Bridgestone/Firestone, and Goodyear.

GM To Import China-Built Cars To U.S.

Manufacturing.Net - May 13, 2009
SHANGHAI (AP) -- General Motors Corp. plans to begin exports of vehicles made in China to the United States within two years, ramping up sales to more than 50,000 by 2014, reports said Wednesday.

A spokeswoman for GM in China did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the reports, which were said to be based on a company recovery plan given to U.S. lawmakers.

GM intends to sell 17,335 made-in-China passenger cars in the U.S. market by 2011, the Shanghai Securities News and other reports said. By 2014 exports would triple to more than 51,000, it said.

The main focus would be on exporting small cars similar to the Chevrolet Spark, the reports said.

If true, GM could end up becoming the first automaker to begin exporting to the U.S. from China: previously announced plans by Chinese manufacturers to crack the U.S. market have so far fizzled.

Most Chinese automakers have been daunted by the challenge of meeting stringent U.S. safety standards. They also face the uphill battle of winning consumer confidence for their unfamiliar brand names.

Brand name recognition is perhaps the least of GM's problems as it faces a June 1 government-imposed deadline to finish a restructuring plan or follow Chrysler LLC into bankruptcy protection.

Opting to export from China would help the company, now surviving on $15.4 billion in federal loans, to slash production costs and make full use of its huge investments in factories here.

But it would likely raise protests from labor unions it has been seeking to win concessions from as part of its restructuring.

The plan also would represent a shift from past strategy. GM officials have long emphasized their commitment to first meeting demand in China before considering exports to the U.S. or other markets.

There you have it.
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Addict

Okay, there I admit we're dealing with a subject I'm not familiar with, so if I get it all wrong, do please set me straight. Memph's post seems to indicate that GM received billions in "loans" from the American government. If I remember the story correctly, the motor industry failed big time and its magnates, multi-millionaires each, started asking daddy for money, arguing that letting them suffer the consequences of their mismanagement would put many American workers out of a job. But now GM intends to use this money to import cars from China?? How does that fit?
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Well my mini holiday vacation is over and I feel like I should make a post simply so that people do not think I am bitter. The logos are fine and I enjoyed time with my elderly parents over the holidays, of which my father has inoperable cancer. I do not feel like I missed a thing in the last week or so!

I have had computer access and might have been able to give more comments but I did not want to imply/impose more work onto anyone, including myself. Hey try it with a purple balloon font! Besides, who wants to be the shopkeeper at the Shiny Objects store when there is a busload of students from the ADD school visiting on a field trip!! Bless all of our little ADD hearts!

I can’t say that I ever bought or didn’t buy a mic because of the logo, although shiny ones do catch my eye in the store!
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Okay, there I admit we're dealing with a subject I'm not familiar with, so if I get it all wrong, do please set me straight. Memph's post seems to indicate that GM received billions in "loans" from the American government. If I remember the story correctly, the motor industry failed big time and its magnates, multi-millionaires each, started asking daddy for money, arguing that letting them suffer the consequences of their mismanagement would put many American workers out of a job. But now GM intends to use this money to import cars from China?? How does that fit?
I think the irony you suggest is real, welcome to America 2010! I don't know where Americans are going to get the money to buy automobiles, we can't all work for the government, Wall Street, or defense contractors ....
Old 4th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by drp audio View Post
I think the irony you suggest is real, welcome to America 2010! I don't know where Americans are going to get the money to buy automobiles, we can't all work for the government, Wall Street, or defense contractors ....
Perhaps there's money in learning to sing in Mandarin and starting a new pop/rock revolution in East Asia...
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Welcome to the legacy of Bill Clinton taking illegal contributions for his first presidential campaign from CHINA in trade for seats for chinese nationals on the international board of trade. How to destroy the American economy.
Tada!
Now you know what it was all for.
Hillary was the protege for the most corrupt politician in US history ever to be convicted, Dan Rostenkowski. Now she's secretary of what?
She hates the military. Her and her husband's stupid ideas and actions based in them have destroyed this country as much as Americans (and most foreign governments believing he was the greatest American president) not stopping them and believing the BS they spouted. They have enough power to change the reality perception around the everyday sheople so that their "ideas" merge towards the Clinton ideas, = acceptance. Then, the end.
They think they will die with a great legacy, but, I bet that the 71 dead they've left behind come back from the grave to stop them, and they'll bring it about by their own hand without seeing it coming. They've already started the process. Their child will have to hide.
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

And suddenly, in the blink of an eye, a thread goes from harmlessly pointless to all-out ********.

Can we restrict the know-nothing political commentary to the Moan Zone at least?

JSL
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
And suddenly, in the blink of an eye, a thread goes from harmlessly pointless to all-out ********.

Can we restrict the know-nothing political commentary to the Moan Zone at least?

JSL
I know Bill Clinton, I grew up in that whole political whirlwind. What people don't know about what's happened around him could fill a stadium. But yeah, this ain't the place for that. Even if the OP asked for it.
Old 4th January 2010
Quote:
I don't share Chris's fears that people will see there an E and a C; actually, I don't think people will see initials at all unless those are pointed out to them -- or unless, at least, they already know the name of the company.
I'm one of the ones who sees E and C. There's an incredibly easy solution to this, though, that I wonder if someone else may have previously suggested. But since I've not seen it, I'll mention it.

Rotate the logo 90˚ CCW. Now it looks like M and J. At least to me.
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

Bill Clinton doesn't have a custom-designed logo with his interlocking initials

Quote:
Rotate the logo 90˚ CCW. Now it looks like M and J.
Sinocelt hasn't submitted a logo in several hours. Maybe he committed hara-kiri.
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
Bill Clinton doesn't have a custom-designed logo with his interlocking initials

Sinocelt hasn't submitted a logo in several hours. Maybe he committed hara-kiri.
Maybe he will, one of my friends is working with him this week.
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Maniac

When is a MK-012 compatible version going to be available? Can't wait.
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

In early Spring I'll have a K47-type capsule head for the MK-012 body. Also in various stages of design and prototyping are a SDC FET / transformer, LDC FET / transformer, LDC tube multi-pattern / transformer and a ribbon mic. None of these are re-branded catalog mics.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
In early Spring I'll have a K47-type capsule head for the MK-012 body. Also in various stages of design and prototyping are a SDC FET / transformer, LDC FET / transformer, LDC tube multi-pattern / transformer and a ribbon mic. None of these are re-branded catalog mics.
All for the Oktava MK-012? Pardon me while I wipe drool from the keyboard...heh
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

oops, my bad. I'll be doing a K47-type capsule head for the '012, but everything else I mentioned will be complete, stand-alone mics.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

i'm holding out for the tube SDC that is compatible with the k47H
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

I have two outside vendor possibilities in the works. Just have to check the thread and contact fit. Stay tuned.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search