The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 1st January 2010
  #691
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 

Well, that's suits my Gemini nature just perfectly. and with that I retire till tomorrow.
Old 1st January 2010
  #692
Gear Addict
 
Sinocelt's Avatar
 



Old 1st January 2010
  #693
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
I've hesitated to bring this up, because I love Sinocelts work so much. but I have been wondering how the hell am I going to get this on an SDC pencil mic. Meryl says "don't worry, just wrap it around the body". I'll try this tomorrow - on the first day of 2010 infused with bloody mary's. good day all. M
I know, talented people have made some extremely professional and beautiful logos! Personally I would keep the microphones "clean" with only small simple numbers for each model, and only use the logos for marketing. I think the mics would look better that way. And honestly, why would you need any logos on your mics? Your reputation alone should sell more mics than any logo!

If you plan to distribute your mics through more commercial channels you can always put a fancy logo on the box and in advertisements. If you REALLY need to have a logo on your mics, why not use Cyrillic letters to have a link to your famous Oktavamods? It would look very exotic and definately stand out in a crowd! I do not know how to spell Michael Joly in cyrillic but I'm sure it would look very exotic!heh Maybe a little silly...

But i have to say: I LOVE my Oktavamod 219 and 012's. I regret spending a lot more money on certain German mics that i now rarely use. The Oktavamods just sound better! Russian engineering and American refining equals GOLD!
Old 1st January 2010
  #694
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
This reads backwards-E and C as much as it does "MJ". If you right the logo this ambiguity goes away.

Quote:
"North, south, east, west
Joly microphones are the best".

This was a respectable bug about 200 iterations ago. The compass points make it overembellished.

JMHO.
Old 1st January 2010
  #695
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
I like the slight ambiguity of the optical flip - is it "MJ" or is it "HU"?
I'm going to take away sinocelt's paint program and your LSD. If you want an ambiguous logo, hey, it's your company.
Old 1st January 2010
  #696
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 

hehe. I seem to have been blessed with a hard-wired version permanently percolating away.

btw, I really like the compass points on the bug. but then again, this speaks to my Bering Straight ancestral wandering.
Old 1st January 2010
  #697
Gear Addict
 
Sinocelt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
This was a respectable bug about 200 iterations ago. The compass points make it overembellished.
I made these just for you:















Old 1st January 2010
  #698
Gear Addict
 
Sinocelt's Avatar
 


Old 1st January 2010
  #699
The bumper sticker, and the lapel pin!
Old 1st January 2010
  #700
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
I made these just for you
That's so sweet of you! Now I'm going to break your fingers. Happy new year!
Old 1st January 2010
  #701
Gear Addict
 
Sinocelt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
The bumper sticker, and the lapel pin!
Each of them costs $800, but comes with a bonus microphone. heh


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
That's so sweet of you! Now I'm going to break your fingers. Happy new year!
There are times when I just don't feel appreciated...
Old 1st January 2010
  #702
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 

That silver embossed logo in post #699 is one for the ages don't you think?

man I'm torn...both the bug type and the "Michael i Joly" name logo approach are great. Oh, Meryl (her work is here and here) says the "Michael i Joly" logo placed on the long axis of a pencil mic looks fine.
Old 1st January 2010
  #703
Gear Addict
 
Sinocelt's Avatar
 




Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
That silver embossed logo in post #699 is one for the ages don't you think?
I think I can hear Chris throwing a fit.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
man I'm torn...both the bug type and the "Michael i Joly" name logo approach are great.
I don't know which one I prefer, either! What does Meryl have to say about it? And if she prefers the bug type, which version?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Oh, Meryl (her work is here and here) says the "Michael i Joly" logo placed on the long axis of a pencil mic looks fine.
JEEBUS! Since you've got a real artist at home, why are you considering ersatz in a forum??
Old 1st January 2010
  #704
Lives for gear
 
MadGuitrst's Avatar
Sinocelt, will ya please try these two on a silver colored mic to see how they look?





















IMO, one of the reasons the bottom logo works so well on a pencil mic is because a pencil mic will almost never be used veritcally -it will always be able to be read.

Here's a question though: In the example shown, on the pencil mic, the logo appears to be engraved. Would it be cost prohibitive to have the mics engraved?

*Note:
1. I think the engraving looks great too.
2. I don't mean to ask a question on business that is not fodder for forums.
Old 1st January 2010
  #705
Lives for gear
 
MadGuitrst's Avatar
A couple of opinions, if I may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
That looks like the logo of a religious cult.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post

That's a little busy on the eyes.
Old 1st January 2010
  #706
Lives for gear
 
tapehiss's Avatar
none of the logo's have caught my eye quiet like this one......
although it doesn't directly point to MJM, it symbolically means a lot and is perfect for a microphone logo...................

and it is very transferable across all types of mics, and can even be shrunk to the point of stamping on the metal base that wraps around the mic grill.....

maybe not what michael wants, but is very nice nonetheless.

ps. of the fist logo's, i still think none of the variation compare to the simple version in your avatar, i like that one the best....


Old 1st January 2010
  #707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
Surrounded as it is, the dot above the J is not unlike a diaphragm under its grid:



And for an "old radio" feel:


Do these in milk chocolate and they're bound to be very popular.
Old 1st January 2010
  #708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post


Pro: Clear, and everything fits. To three Os (JOLY / MICROPHONES) correspond three dots in the initials; the small L seems to mirror the small J; everything is balanced. The dot on the big J, surrounded as it is, looks not unlike a diaphragm under its grid. The rectangular shape would be perfect as the back of a business card, and would fit easily on a website. Finally, for me at least, it has an "old vibe" (it reminds me of old radios).

Con: The rectangular shape doesn't marry well with shapes that are not rectangular, such as the body of any microphone.
There's something distinctly Aztec about that design.
Old 1st January 2010
  #709
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post




I don't know which one I prefer, either! What does Meryl have to say about it? And if she prefers the bug type, which version?
Meryl doesn't like any of the bug logos nearly as much as the name one. In fact, she thinks the bug type, especially the more elaborate ones, tend to look too cultish and she doesn't like to encouraging anything that feeds my megalomania.

I like this new cute little mic icon up top. Meryl hasn't seen this one yet but I'm sure she would approve.

and MadGuitarist makes a good point about the suitability of the name logo on a pencil mic. Drummers don't read anyway so I'm not worried about OH use ; )
Old 1st January 2010
  #710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
[CENTER]
I'm glad this one materialized. When I first saw the similar version with the triangle, this is what my mind suggested. Though I think I would break the circle into two sides, evoking sound waves. As I read through this communal brainstorming thread, I may find that's already been suggested and done.

Y'all have been busy while I was out with the family.
Old 1st January 2010
  #711
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
You can also try to align microphone and logo, and see what looks best. But yes, as mentioned in my precedent post, icon logos are easier to place on all kinds of items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Well, that's suits my Gemini nature just perfectly. and with that I retire till tomorrow.
Your's, mine, and my twin kids.
I have absolutely no doubt you will succeed in ANYTHING you do.

The Long logo could wrap around the bottom, the "knuckles" button could go under the switches, if you do a mic like that. IMO.

I'd get rid of the shaft in the long logo, it's not needed and a lil'bit busy with it. "The "stick" of the tootsiepop.
Old 2nd January 2010
  #712
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Put it on the end of a spinning shaft and use it to blend milkshakes.
Old 2nd January 2010
  #713
Gear Addict
 
Sinocelt's Avatar
 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
That's a little busy on the eyes.
That was the idea, yes. I knew Chris would love that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
Put it on the end of a spinning shaft and use it to blend milkshakes.
That's a possibility, but I thought it may work wonders as a throwing star (shuriken).




Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
ps. of the fist logo's, i still think none of the variation compare to the simple version in your avatar, i like that one the best....
You and me both. Simple, dignified, and with a "secret" (the interlocked initials, not immediately visible).




Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
none of the logo's have caught my eye quiet like this one......
although it doesn't directly point to MJM, it symbolically means a lot and is perfect for a microphone logo...................

and it is very transferable across all types of mics, and can even be shrunk to the point of stamping on the metal base that wraps around the mic grill.....

maybe not what michael wants, but is very nice nonetheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
I like this new cute little mic icon up top. Meryl hasn't seen this one yet but I'm sure she would approve.
If you do like this one, then -- Gemini rejoice! -- maybe you can have both a bug logo and a typographical one, because one is directly extracted from the other:

->



Check with your lawyer, but it shouldn't be impossible to register the bug as the logo, and the other as a typographical extension -- both official.


Old 2nd January 2010
  #714
Lives for gear
 
SkunkWorks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
That silver embossed logo in post #699 is one for the ages don't you think? .
The outside shape is inspiring. Now scrap the rest and start over and this could go somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
I think I can hear Chris throwing a fit.
Not just Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post

JEEBUS! Since you've got a real artist at home, why are you considering ersatz in a forum??
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
A couple of opinions, if I may.

That looks like the logo of a religious cult.

That's a little busy on the eyes.
yup


This has been progressively going downhill since the first page or two of it. But that's what happens when you "design by comittee."

Sorry, needed to be said. I know there are others here who want to but won't.
Old 2nd January 2010
  #715
Gear Addict
 
Sinocelt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This has been progressively going downhill since the first page or two of it. But that's what happens when you "design by comittee."

Sorry, needed to be said. I know there are others here who want to but won't.
You aren't the first one to have said something like that (Chris did) and I disagree. The first page or two, uh? You may want to look at them again, without the rosy glasses.

As for myself, I've said which two were my favorites and they haven't changed since.

And finally: it isn't a design by committee. I'm the designer of my own logos, and I don't remember anyone getting a decisional vote aside from Michael. I do welcome suggestions, though, and take them into account, yes. At the very least, I often try them out. Are you saying that I should reject any feedback as worthless on principle? I'm the artist, you peons, I don't care what you like and don't! I am right! Always right! I know best! I am FRENCH!!
Old 2nd January 2010
  #716
Lives for gear
 
SkunkWorks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
snip

I'm the artist, you peons, I don't care what you like and don't! I am right! Always right! I know best! I am FRENCH!!
LOL

It all makes sense now (wink)

Carry on...
Old 2nd January 2010
  #717
Gear Addict
 
Sinocelt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Carry on...
Er, well, to be frank, I think I'm about done. I've been done since post #659, actually. The last series of logos (each more complex than the one before) was really aimed at Chris, not intended for Michael.
Old 2nd January 2010
  #718
Lives for gear
 
SkunkWorks's Avatar
 

In all seriousness, though, I have already told Michael privately that, while this has been fun, his best interest would be probably be better served to hire a professional design firm with artists at the top of their field with a vast portfolio to view and years if not decades experience doing this sort of thing day in day out. I think he would be truly inspired by the results. I also mentioned this not necessarily needs to be an insanely expensive endeavour... but on the other hand you can't compromise on the very thing that will brand you permanently and project an heir of professionalism to the outside world and instill confidence.
Old 2nd January 2010
  #719
Gear Addict
 
Sinocelt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
In all seriousness, though, I have already told Michael privately that, while this has been fun, his best interest would be probably be better served to hire a professional design firm with artists at the top of their field with a vast portfolio to view and years if not decades experience doing this sort of thing day in day out. I think he would be truly inspired by the results. I also mentioned this not necessarily needs to be an insanely expensive endeavour... but on the other hand you can't compromise on the very thing that will brand you permanently and project an heir of professionalism to the outside world and instill confidence.
I did designs for Microsoft and the French government (though the latter was a nightmare). Does that count as "top of the field"?

My CV is on my website.

This said, yes, Michael could at least have a look at design firms' portfolios. But it isn't cheap to hire one and you still have to pay even if you aren't happy with the results.
Old 2nd January 2010
  #720
Lives for gear
 
SkunkWorks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
I did designs for Microsoft and the French government (though the latter was a nightmare). Does that count as "top of the field"?

My CV is on my website.

This said, yes, Michael could at least have a look at design firm's portfolios. But it isn't cheap to hire one and you still have to pay even if you aren't happy with the results.
point#1... not necessarily... I was referring more to the creativity, calibre, integrity and design values of the work itself, not high profile name visibility of any particular client. Hell, I did work for Delta and Hilton hotels fresh out of school but I would not consider it my best work by any standards.

point#2... yes you have to pick and choose a house that will want to understand your needs and doesn't just want to make a quick buck... but, considering how this entire thread began in the first place, I somehow think Michael would be able to do that. As I already said, even if it was on the expensive side, this is one area where you don't really want to be counting pennies.

EDIT
And, no, there were no Paris Hilton fringe benefits...

... not that I would have accepted them anyway
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
AustinJeep10 / So much gear, so little time
4
YRLK / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
Michael Lin / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
(DC) / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump