The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Joly has done the cascade fathead, "Gomez", a ribbon.
The Gomez is made by a different company.

Has it been decided whether the word "Edition" is in or out?

Quote:
You may not be familiar with ANY principles of logo design as far as anyone knows
I have formal training and experience in graphic design. Some of these designs have mistakes a first-semester graphics student wouldn't make.

Quote:
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you now have to be a diva about it.
If you put up artwork in this thread it's going to be critiqued. Deal with it.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
Ah, I was afraid of that, but didn't even think of doing what you suggested. Good thing I woke up early and have some time in front of me before I must rush out to catch the college bus. Here we go:

And while I'm at it:

In both cases, I think it's a trade-off: less immediate legibility for greater aesthetic appeal.

Maybe later. Right now, I don't have time.

|

Now don't be silly. There's no way something so ugly could ever have any success at all. heh

Yup. Pretty clever, memphisindie.

Good stuff there! For some reason, the 90deg ccw rotated 'M' makes me think 'E' instead. The other rotated logo kind of looks like the Stussy Logo - not a bad thing at all.

Here is a very primitive drawing I did - no photo shop obviously! It's just a sketch now so don't laugh!! tutt
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-mjm1.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-mjm2.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-mjm3.jpg  
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Before you take this as some kind of flame, don't, I don't have that much into it and it's not intended, you have to read with a sense of humor around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
The Gomez is made by a different company, not Michael's.
Michael helped design the Gomez and I don't know that he'll give up on ribbon mics in the future.
BTW, have you got a better simple design that unequivocally says "microphone" that could work in a drawing and have some symmetry? Do you expect a logo to represent every mic he works on because he works on lots of different types and that could eat a lot of real estate on the mic. It may end up being a logo collection with a mic attached if you did, probly wouldn't help sonically either.
A "representation" is what I was looking for and that's all it is. It just represents "mic" visually. If you have a better one that could work, I'd use it.

Quote:
I have formal training and experience in graphic design. Some of these designs have mistakes a first-semester graphics student wouldn't make.
Relax, I used to own a graphic design company in NYC and had EXXON, The Economist and Booze Allen as major clients, does that help here?
NO. I'm not judging anyone. Credits mean nothing in the real world except to "credit lookers".
"So What", Are the two most powerful words to get you out of someone else's made up restrictions I'll work to my own restrictions or lack there of if you don't mind.

You could get that piece CNC lathed onto a small prototype and it would still look like a mic. Just sayin, it doesn't have to be anything as far as I'm concerned, I'm just killing time. It's not my company.
Quote:
Has it been decided whether the word "Edition" is in or out?

If you put up artwork in this thread it's going to be criticized. Deal with it.
Like I said, this question shows how little I have invested in knowing, I don't know if "edition" is included or not. I'm pretty sure he's NOT using my design and IS using his Bro-in-law's, which is good.
I said I was just killing time.
Please, use your sense of humor. I wasn't that serious.
Getting serious about UN-commissioned art is a waste of time. I'm having a good time killing time. Criticism is welcome. Maybe you noticed how many changes I made by request based in criticism?
Guess not.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm just hear watching, learning and appreciating all the effort everyone is putting out. I haven't made any decisions.

Oh, my brother Dave did some early sketches (the red oval with MJE inside) but despite some minor French-gene resemblence, Sinocelt is not related to me.

I really do appreciate the fearlessness of putting something as personal as a logo design out for public scrutiny and hope folks will respect each others efforts as much as I do.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

That's funny.
Well, I'm finished making art. I think I fleshed out my idea on it and took suggestions. I'd be willing to trade art for mics as payment if you though anything was decent enough to use, except for the knuckles redux, that I'd have to split with your cousin, sinocelt. haha, just kiddin bout the cousin thing. Dead serious about the trade and the split.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

That's why everybody's contributing logo ideas -- they all want a free mic LOL! heh

sinocelt deserves special kudos for his persistence and openness to input.

Michael - any design will need to incorporate things in addition to a bug or a spelling of the company name, such as the company address, phone number, email address, web site address, mic model numbers, a registered trademark bug if any, the words "Made in China" if you use them, etc.

BTW here is some info on trademarks: Trademarks Home
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

That's why I am doing it. 4 mics, not free. Not lol. Though I would do it for free, I don't.
He stated he is working with an attorney for that trademark info.
Cousin Sinocelt does deserve a bunch of kudos, but so do you, chris319.

FYI: Michael Joly Editions - Affordable Boutique Mics and more
Old 30th December 2009
Hi, apologies if this is stepping on any toes, but have you considered using just your last name, "Joly", by itself as your brand name? It's instantly memorable and rolls off the tongue when I test it in imaginary word-of-mouth musician banter.

I am merely throwing this out there as an idea, feel free to ignore. :-)
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the suggestion. Other folks have mentioned it as well. But strangely enough there is a consumer speaker manufacturer in Taiwan with same name. How any Joly's got there is beyond me.

re: mics-for-service - as I said, I appreciate the spontaneous outpouring of ideas. Even if I don't choose something from one of the folks who have contributed their sketches, as a way of showing my gratitude I will offer you a substantial discount if you make a purchase. We can talk about this when the full line is out.

This doesn't mean people can flood the thread with logo idea ; )
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have had this thought as well.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Other folks have mentioned it as well. But strangely enough there is a consumer speaker manufacturer in Taiwan with same name. How any Joly's got there is beyond me.

re: mics-for-service - as I said, I appreciate the spontaneous outpouring of ideas. Even if I don't choose something from one of the folks who have contributed their sketches, as a way of showing my gratitude I will offer you a substantial discount if you make a purchase. We can talk about this when the full line is out.

This doesn't mean people can flood the thread with logo idea ; )
No Michael, I don't want to be paid in microphones. I demand cash money, and I demand to be paid exactly what my ideas are worth: $0.02.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_z View Post
Good stuff there! For some reason, the 90deg ccw rotated 'M' makes me think 'E' instead.
I was afraid of that. I blame Dell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_z View Post
The other rotated logo kind of looks like the Stussy Logo - not a bad thing at all.
??

That's all I could find.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

OK, I swear last one, based on sinocelt's:
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-45-knucklesjoly-ed-90-ii.jpg  
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Addict

Old 30th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I was afraid of that. I blame Dell.

??

That's all I could find.

+

"Dude, you're getting a Joly!"
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle waitress View Post
Just skimmed over this thread - this looks pretty cool. I am interested to hear some of these mics.
Smartest post in the thread!!!!
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

i used to work for a sign company in portland/seattle and i have this really nice sign software that i barely know how to use.... really expensive software, that has amazing technology, but i can only utilize the simple stuff so i gave it a shot, keeping in mind michael and microphone both start with the word "MIC", which is what the company is selling. You will also notice my avatar has been incorporated, however, maybe one of michael's actual mic silhouettes may suite the logo better.

please click on it for a close up, you will notice that symmetry was very much kept in mind, and all things share a common line...
there is also lots of room for editing within this sign design environment, and also thousands of fonts, colors, and effects.
but this is a basic.

im doing a couple versions, because although one may seem weird to me, it might help spark an idea for something different.
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-mics-logo.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-mics-logo-1.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-mics-logo-2.jpg  
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I like this one, I know that mics pick up sound instead of emit sound but really, what's the point in putting yourself in a box like that, this one looks great. I like the black and white for the band around the bottom and it works like a badge too. Nice, beats "the fist" logo hands down, pardon the pun.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Michael Joly Microphones chocolate bar heh
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Red and Black,

Nah.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Addict

Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
I like this one, I know that mics pick up sound instead of emit sound but really, what's the point in putting yourself in a box like that, this one looks great. I like the black and white for the band around the bottom and it works like a badge too. Nice, beats "the fist" logo hands down, pardon the pun.

Sorry, but no. Crimes can be forgiven, sins expiated, but puns? Please lean over, yes, closer to your screen...

POW!!

There. It didn't hurt that much.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

To Memph: Remember what I said - no whirling hammers of Thor.

To Sinocelt: Wow, that makes me want to go over to the dark side..., well, not the dark side, but it does feed my megalomania ; ) This is neither here nor there, but I like how the negative space says "HU". As in the ancient Sanskrit sacred sound or common Chinese surname. Plus, the negative white space connects heaven and earth in a HU circuit. I've resisted asking you to square-up the MJ, but I do believe the square format is the strongest. The high contrast of this mark oscillates back and forth between positive and negative space. man this thing has life! Hmmm....

Please try a treatment with "Michael Joly" and "Microphones" added somewhere outside that mark.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
The Michael Joly Microphones chocolate bar heh
It could be done, and would be less messy than sending an ice cream cone with each microphone.

Quote:
To Sinocelt: Wow, that makes me want to go over to the dark side.
Really? But the milk side isn't bad either, you know? Not to mention the almond side, the caramelized side, the...

Quote:
Please try a treatment with "Michael Joly" and "Microphones" added somewhere outside that mark.
I can give it a go, but I think that if you use an icon-type logo, the name of the company shouldn't be part of it. Remember that if you include the name of your company as part of your logo, it cannot be removed nor changed to better fit the item where it is printed or engraved. If the icon alone is the logo (e.g. the Mercedes logo), you are free to place it at the top of the mic, let's say, and to write "Michael Joly Microphone" at the bottom; if "Michael Joly Microphone" is part of the logo, you cannot do that. At least, not without making the logo less official, I believe. I may be wrong; it's worth checking that out with your lawyer.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

My eye hurts now.
I think it says, Mu, like a cow, Mu mu, or MU metal.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
To Sinocelt: Wow, that makes me want to go over to the dark side..., well, not the dark side, but it does feed my megalomania ; ) This is neither here nor there, but I like how the negative space says "HU". As in the ancient Sanskrit sacred sound or common Chinese surname. Plus, the negative white space connects heaven and earth in a HU circuit. I've resisted asking you to square-up the MJ, but I do believe the square format is the strongest. The high contrast of this mark oscillates back and forth between positive and negative space. man this thing has life! Hmmm....

Are you referring to this one?

If you are, and you're serious about it, you can keep your damn free microphone

P.S. I don't see the "HU" in it. I haven't had my LSD yet this morning.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
My eye hurts now.
Try taking some LSD.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
...I can give it a go, but I think that if you use an icon-type logo, the name of the company shouldn't be part of it. Remember that if you include the name of your company as part of your logo, it cannot be removed nor changed to better fit the item where it is printed or engraved. If the icon alone is the logo, you are free to place it at the top of the mic, let's say, and to write "Michael Joly Microphone" at the bottom; if "Michael Joly Microphone" is part of the logo, you cannot do that. At least, not without making the logo less official, I believe. I may be wrong; it's worth checking that out with your lawyer.
Good point - your suggestion is just how Neumann handled this issue. A raised logo badge, then below (for example) "Neumann Microphone Type U 87 Western Germany".

I gotta get to the bench and do some work!
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try taking some LSD.
Yeah, I shoulda thought of that.

Quote:
Good point - your suggestion is just how Neumann handled this issue. A raised logo badge, then below (for example) "Neumann Microphone Type U 87 Western Germany".

I gotta get to the bench and do some work!
So, NOW you get it.
Better late than never, though we all prefer "on time", nobody is perfect.
Back to work! Where's that whipcrackin emoticon? Man we don't have enough emoticons for what happens around here.
I'm constantly being bombarded by emotions that don't exist in nature here.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That I see. The hook on the "J" has crept up.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Remember what I said - no whirling hammers of Thor.

Oh.

Quote:
That I see. The hook on the "J" has crept up.
Has crept back up. It's an old version, which I dug out for the same reason I designed the logo above: for fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search