The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

OK, Try This, for sale, not too cheap, but, for sale:
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-logov.jpg  
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Memph - I do appreciate your enthusiasm and efforts. But the identity of the line will not be "Joly". Most people know me as "Michael". So the line identity will be "Michael Joly Microphones".

I do like the direction Sinocelts new block letter-form is taking. I also like the earlier two-line style with the single "circle" graphic between "Michael" and "Joly" - more so than the "triangle" treatment. A circle is more about radiating sound than a triangle.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Just my $.02, I really liked the way things were going back at the wax-imprint stage. Sinocelt's logos are cool, but don't really say "classic" to me.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Hey Memph - I do appreciate your enthusiasm and efforts. But the identity of the line will not be "Joly". Most people know me as "Michael". So the line identity will be "Michael Joly Microphones".
No offense, Michael, but most people don't know you at all. The point shouldn't be to appeal to people who already know you, but rather to those who don't already. This new line is a chance for you to greatly broaden the reach of your customer base. Why not take this moment to reconsider the brand, rather than just the logo?

"Michael Joly Microphones" is not much of a brand name. No doubt Michael Joly likes the sound of it -- just as "Jay Levin Microphones" sounds great to my ears -- but other than that, what does it really have going for it?

"JOLY" is a memorable, friendly and BRIEF brand name. Like "MANLEY".

I also like Sinocelt's block letter logos. They are attractive, distinct and memorable, especially the diamond-like ones.

JSL
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

OR This"
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-logovii.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-logoviii.jpg  
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

now that is sheer HEMAN ruggedness....

i really like the lightning bolt in that mans hand....

maybe you could tuck the word 'michael' in the stem of the J?????

thats an imagination!!!!! great design..... may not be best for MJM, but hell, if i was starting a mic company i would pay you big bucks for that logo.......not only for the power it portrays, but there's a major element of humor that it bestows.....

if i was making mics i would put that logo as huge as possible on the body!!!!!!!
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
No offense, Michael, but most people don't know you at all. The point shouldn't be to appeal to people who already know you, but rather to those who don't already. This new line is a chance for you to greatly broaden the reach of your customer base. Why not take this moment to reconsider the brand, rather than just the logo?

"Michael Joly Microphones" is not much of a brand name. No doubt Michael Joly likes the sound of it -- just as "Jay Levin Microphones" sounds great to my ears -- but other than that, what does it really have going for it?

"JOLY" is a memorable, friendly and BRIEF brand name. Like "MANLEY".

I also like Sinocelt's block letter logos. They are attractive, distinct and memorable, especially the diamond-like ones.

JSL
i think many people know who michael is on this forum(over 10k members), and almost everyone who buys his mics/mods knows who he is, and that is why they buy his mics.....
because of the great reputation he has earned from providing quality products.

i get what your saying, but how will people who don't know about michael find out about him by changing the logo to something that doesnt contain his name....??????

(also, by creating a business around his name, i feel that he will be creating even more notoriety around the MJM quality that he provides.... and the name will become more known.

but overall, i do agree with you on the "joly" thing.... it has a ring to it that "michael" just doesnt have, but 'michael joly microphones' does portray a more homely company that is more personal... and i think that is what oktavamod is about.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

And while I'm at it:

these two are pretty damn good and very memorable, yet simple designs!!!!!!!!!, very good maing!!! the top one especially !!!! you have a honed skill for design. Its really quite genius IMO.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

These both look pimp. It's been fun to watch the evolution. I prefer the one on the bottom (the vertical thrust somehow makes it seem more symmetrical and less jumbled to me).
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

If you're going to do the interlocking letters, this is the way to go:
Quote:
Now how do you work a model number into it? Will it be the company's entire graphic identity or will there be more?

Quote:

To labile. They don't read if you don't know what combination of letters to look for.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
To labile. They don't read if you don't know what combination of letters to look for.
that's very logical of you to say. but.............
i think your assuming the consumer lacks any basic level of intelligence.....

logo's need to have appeal, they don't necessarily need to spell the products out....

and anyways, who's going to buy the mic without knowing what it is in the first place????????

i agree with brainchild.......
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post

I do like the direction Sinocelts new block letter-form is taking. I also like the earlier two-line style with the single "circle" graphic between "Michael" and "Joly" - more so than the "triangle" treatment. A circle is more about radiating sound than a triangle.
The circle design hit me on first look as reading "SE" and that's not a good thing, even though I like it, I like it for SE microphones better, cuz that's what it looks like.

I do like the knuckles logo, the sideways one looks like shaking hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
now that is sheer HEMAN ruggedness....

i really like the lightning bolt in that mans hand....

maybe you could tuck the word 'michael' in the stem of the J?????

thats an imagination!!!!! great design..... may not be best for MJM, but hell, if i was starting a mic company i would pay you big bucks for that logo.......not only for the power it portrays, but there's a major element of humor that it bestows.....

if i was making mics i would put that logo as huge as possible on the body!!!!!!!
Thanks you.
Quote:

Cooperation.
Quote:
And while I'm at it:

Quote:
Quote:
Domination.
Quote:
these two are pretty damn good and very memorable, yet simple designs!!!!!!!!!, very good maing!!! the top one especially !!!! you have a honed skill for design. Its really quite genius IMO.
Very nice.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think many people know who michael is on this forum(over 10k members), and almost everyone who buys his mics/mods knows who he is, and that is why they buy his mics.....
because of the great reputation he has earned from providing quality products.
Michael is well known in certain circles and has a great reputation from what I can tell. I never meant to suggest otherwise. What I'm suggesting is that he could be even far better known. The Michael Joly brand is not as well known as, say, Alesis.

Quote:
i get what your saying, but how will people who don't know about michael find out about him by changing the logo to something that doesnt contain his name....??????
Well, obviously the point of having a better brand identity (including name, logo, etc.) is that it's professional, attractive and memorable, and it communicates some sense of what the company is about. No, that alone will not spread the word about his company, but it's part of an overall effort to market his company effectively.

Quote:
(also, by creating a business around his name, i feel that he will be creating even more notoriety around the MJM quality that he provides.... and the name will become more known.
Circular. He's not promoting the company so his own name gets promoted; I believe it's the other way around.

Quote:
but overall, i do agree with you on the "joly" thing.... it has a ring to it that "michael" just doesnt have, but 'michael joly microphones' does portray a more homely company that is more personal... and i think that is what oktavamod is about.
Homely? Who wants a homely company?

JSL
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Last one from me, and just cuz I had time off to do it.
The friendly look, Simple and precise, this fits, it's a house, Houses your family name since you and your wife work there, Doesn't push you off, Professional.

Then there's the silver, The powerful look of zeus and his bolts. Although this would need better software than I own to truly polish, It says "old school" and precision.

I even got your first name in there.

Now for sinocelt's "knuckles" logo, I have one suggestion, turning it on it's side was brilliant, now, push the J through the M The top of it sticks out and the bottom goes through and wraps around. That way you get a hand holding a mic. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-logo-vixi.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-logo-viiii.jpg  
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Like dis.
Attached Images
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-45-knuckles-mic.jpg 
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-images.jpg

China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-mjm_lego_2c2.png

No it's not the same, but there's a familiarity.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Addict

The Fantastic Four

Quote:
Share genius then. Because, starting from my original design:

+
low_z
=

+
chris319
=

+
tapehiss
=

+
Sinocelt
=

Old 29th December 2009
Gear Addict

Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

what about taking the mj diamonds and adding the 'E' to the right of the 'j' in an Escher '3d' way so it would look like the support. It might ballance it better too.[IMG]file:///Users/mingus/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
Here's another.

Okay, put the Michael in front of the Joly, using the J as the "i" in Micheal (j's should be dotted too ), And put microphones under Joly using the bottom of the j as the dot to the "i" in microphones (which is a longer word so it can be stretched out underneath).

BTW "Michael Joly", I thing you're known more by your last name - Joly - as a lot of people are. I like the logo above with the old time mic.

How about Joly Mics (a little play on words)?....since that's what they'll be called by people anyway.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
You know, this is way too complicated... The logo will be way smaller than this in order to fit nicely on a microphone.

Just my 0.001's worth.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Guys,
Take into consideration that some of these logo design may be hyper cool but manufacturing them might be difficult and expenssive.
A simple design with clear outlines that can be done with CNC and polish, colorless or chrome finish is better since it will last for alot longer.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Addict

This one was inspired by chris319's remark about typographical logos, by Michael's comment that he liked the idea of his name with a slight graphical element, and of course by memphisindie's "ribbon mike" Y. And, yes, it's plain ugly.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer1 View Post
Guys,
Take into consideration that some of these logo design may be hyper cool but manufacturing them might be difficult and expenssive.
A simple design with clear outlines that can be done with CNC and polish, colorless or chrome finish is better since it will last for alot longer.
New software makes programming complex shapes pretty easy. Basically, if you can draw it, you can machine it. My dentist has a CNC mill that makes a crown identical to the tooth it replaces using an optical imaging system.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
My dentist has a CNC mill that makes a crown identical to the tooth it replaces using an optical imaging system.
Oh, so that's why my dental bills are so high! heh
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
Last one from me, and just cuz I had time off to do it.
The friendly look, Simple and precise, this fits, it's a house, Houses your family name since you and your wife work there, Doesn't push you off, Professional.

Then there's the silver, The powerful look of zeus and his bolts. Although this would need better software than I own to truly polish, It says "old school" and precision.

I even got your first name in there.

it's a house, things are together, it's a family.

It's a house and a family with a great protector with control of the electricity.

[/quote]Silver version of the badge.
Don't confuse ability with enthusiasm. I just can do it. I've done quite a few. I don't do it anymore, but, I had time and everyone else was doing it, so, I jumped.

This is like doing it on a portastudio compared to the system and software I used to carry.
Quote:

Now for sinocelt's "knuckles" logo, I have one suggestion, turning it on it's side was brilliant, now, push the J through the M The top of it sticks out and the bottom goes through and wraps around. That way you get a hand holding a mic. Just a thought.

Gotta say, the Knuckles version is cool, but, only side by side, cooperation mode, but, to keep it from looking like Enron, make the hands look more like diamonds. I dunno.
I would have shot it down earlier on, it seems like it's taking too much time with little results. Maybe the brother in law can make sense of it.

As I stated for those who didn't go back far enough to see these, this is my last versions, unless contacted and told that a trade for 4 of his Mics in almost any combination, as payment, is going to take place, in which case, I would revise again.

There seems to be a superstition that a logo MUST contain a graphic element, or MUST have only initials or anagrams, or MUST this or that. There is no such law. It can be ANYTHING that makes you remember the product or service. It draws you to it and sparks your memory. I doesn't have to morph letters together or any such preconcieved notion on the part of the business owner/non graphic artist. How would you like a client who knows nothing about recording come into your studio and tell you how to engineer before you start? Oh, that's already happening and you see where that's lead.
Maybe no preconceptions is good and let the artist handle the standards. The only thing you give an artist when you don't know how to do it yourself is restrictions. I could have made a logo for dairy cows, but, the restriction was for Joly Microphones soooo....
It could be a simple logo.

Here's the restrictions I come with:
It shouldn't look like a guy in a garage did it 5 minutes ago,
It should represent your company and service or product in a way that is classy,
won't embarrass you when you take it out,
you would be proud to display on a big sign even if you don't
Shouldn't be too derivitive or similar looking to other works,
be original,
NOT TOO COMPLEX, (take a hint from songwriting: too many syllables and too long a melody on the chorus makes the song UN memorable, thus, ignored.)
draw you in, make you wonder, bring a good memory,
and no matter how much public hand-wringing an nervous laughter you have, it should make the client confident to use, like it will do well and last, and in no way represent ANY of the worst aspects of mankind such as domination, war, etc.

The real trick is knowing what THE CUSTOMER is looking for, If you only go by what the owner wants, you can help the owner make the worst logo in history and both be happy with a repellent logo.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Why would you want a logo which is evocative of a 1930s ribbon mic for a company which deals primarily in condenser mics?

Quote:
I'm not familiar with any principle of logo design which states that if one typeface is good, three are better (four if you count the mic yoke posing as a "Y").
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
Why would you want a logo which is evocative of a 1930s ribbon mic for a company which deals primarily in condenser mics?

I'm not familiar with any principle of logo design which states that if one typeface is good, three are better (four if you count the mic yoke posing as a "Y").
Joly has done the cascade fathead, "Gomez", a ribbon. I would probably use that one for the mic, done as a silhouette.
You may not be familiar with ANY principles of logo design as far as anyone knows, but, you're dead right about too many typefaces, just got the number wrong.
There are only three typefaces with the mic logo on there, and it's not a law.
Are you trying to legislate what artwork can be on there, what represents a mic to the eye of a five year old? That is the point, simple art that a five year old would understand.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you now have to be a diva about it. I don't like it either, It's not my favorite one, and my goodness, I would have picked at the box around the mic first, or the fact that it has no drop shadow. I have to agree with you on why I think it sucks, too many typefaces. The mic stays, and I would copy the typefaces and design of the color one onto the silver one.
Such as this but better:
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-silver-last.jpg  
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Knuckles says:

Joly Editions upright
or
Michael Joly at an angle
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-45-knucklesjoly-ed-90.jpg   China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-45-knuckles-mjoly-45.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search