The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Lots of talent and good eyes here. I'm happy to wait it out a bit, read the reactions and see if a community consensus appears.
Gather three Gearslutz, you'll have four different opinions.

Chris, I like what you've done. If you want my original file, here it is (but you'll need Adobe Flash).
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
Another inspiration:

"Gather three Gearslutz, you'll have four different opinions" Hehe, but occasionally one may be a "build", or inspired addition / revision on an earlier opinion. (I guess that would explain the four opinions from three participants).

you know Chris this is rather eye catching and simple at the same time. Just a hint of a graphical element between the top two names. I'm going to collect my thoughts about all of the suggestions and post them in a day or so.
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
This version doesn't look like the leather label from a pair of Levi's.
You don't like leather?
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Addict

Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
BOO! tutt

Same to the one that looks like a U.S. Forest Service emblem.
Hey, I drove a forestry service green forestry service truck for years and the chicks dug it big time. I don't know why. Ask mike's wife what she likes because uuuuhhh.....

Anyway, the last one to me seems to be heading the right direction.

Here's some points to consider:
1. Are you keeping this company or going to sell it at it's azimuth?
2. What's the basis of building your company?

I posit that since your wife is very involved, that it's to preserve the family name and carry it into the future with a very high quality product, (if you don't plan on selling at it's height).
If it is, maybe just the "J" is important for the logo? "Joly Microphones".

So, Joly and microphones. I though earlier that it would be a transducer schematic logo, but, nope, it's the whole mic with mike, so, it's got to be about that.
How about this:
Mike is about turning mics into great mics, transforming them but not necessarily with transformers, So, a big fat "J" with a mic capsule headbasket on top, coming down into the body the word "microphone" stacked, bending for the "J"at the bottom, flowing into a pot of gold at the bottom.
OK, Way OTT, but, you get the idea.

It would seem that the surname JOLY would present an interesting and worthwhile challenge for a logo that will stand the test of time and purpose.
For instance: I had a company in NYC for graphic design and "the ex" made the logo "a chess piece" and a "K". Seemed to work well for years.
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
you know Chris this is rather eye catching and simple at the same time. Just a hint of a graphical element between the top two names.
Thank you but sinocelt deserves most of the credit as I was merely mucking about with his original design. It benefits from having a good typeface and placement of characters relative to the containing elements. I'm not trying to steal sinocelt's thunder but if something he comes up with inspires an idea then I feel I should share it.
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Sinocelt;4926475]

this is pretty cool. just needs a little splash of life to give it the extra edge.

like borders on the letters, or semetry by bringing the left 'm' leg down to keep it a square.
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thank you but sinocelt deserves most of the credit as I was merely mucking about with his original design.
You modified my design and I modified the result after Michael commented that he liked the "hint of a graphical element between the top two names." So, very much a cooperative effort.

Quote:
It benefits from having a good typeface and placement of characters relative to the containing elements. I'm not trying to steal sinocelt's thunder but if something he comes up with inspires an idea then I feel I should share it.
Which is why we're using a public forum as our drawing board. ^_^ Though maybe we should think of starting a separate thread with Michael's current favorites; after all, more creative people may want to take up the challenge, only they don't know about it. What do you think, Michael?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

this is pretty cool. just needs a little splash of life to give it the extra edge.

like borders on the letters,
Decorations can be added at any time, depending on the medium (paper, metal...) and the size of the logo. One of the big advantages of this logo is that, being so simple and compact, it can be used -- even engraved -- on very small surfaces:

It could even serve as a hallmark or as bullets in a document!

Quote:
or semetry by bringing the left 'm' leg down to keep it a square.
I thought about that, but while I like the "spiral" it forms then, and the added sense of symmetry, I chose the original design because (1) the letters are more obviously letters and (2) I like the fact that it isn't a complete, massive square.

versus

Anyone else cares to give their opinion on these?
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

There's a few things I really like about them.

The squared look goes with the diamond everyone associates with good mics.
One thing though, due to the font, the letters kind of become difficult to see; however; make one white (actually silver would be better on a mic) and one black and that solves it - and is a bit of reference to yin and yang, somewhat cool and appropriate IMO.

Anyway, I like it.....and microphones doesn't have to be part of the name.....so....
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Addict

Ying Yang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
One thing though, due to the font, the letters kind of become difficult to see; however; make one white (actually silver would be better on a mic) and one black and that solves it - and is a bit of reference to yin and yang, somewhat cool and appropriate IMO.

Note that, engraved, it would still be simpler not to use two different colors (no painting/enameling necessary).

What do you think of this one?
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

something about the middle one really catches my eye!!!!!

nice job

the black and white would look great on black mics, like the ldc k47h.. but the dark part of the logo may need to be dark gray to keep from disappearing into the mic.
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
You modified my design and I modified the result after Michael commented that he liked the "hint of a graphical element between the top two names." So, very much a cooperative effort.

Which is why we're using a public forum as our drawing board. ^_^ Though maybe we should think of starting a separate thread with Michael's current favorites; after all, more creative people may want to take up the challenge, only they don't know about it. What do you think, Michael?

Decorations can be added at any time, depending on the medium (paper, metal...) and the size of the logo. One of the big advantages of this logo is that, being so simple and compact, it can be used -- even engraved -- on very small surfaces:

It could even serve as a hallmark or as bullets in a document!

I thought about that, but while I like the "spiral" it forms then, and the added sense of symmetry, I chose the original design because (1) the letters are more obviously letters and (2) I like the fact that it isn't a complete, massive square.

versus

Anyone else cares to give their opinion on these?
I like the symmetrical MJ design but wonder how it would look if the M went back to the equal legs (like in the first logo above) and the J top came down in the same proportion the M leg went up (so there are equal amounts of blank space in the lower left and upper right corners. Just a thought!
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

I just wanted to make an input on the suggestions.

The newer and and simpler ones are those I prefer.

I think the best so far are these:

China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-mjm_oldradio7.png

China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-mj_lego_11.png

I think the first one best visually captures what Michaels microphones are like - it may be subjective - of course it is - but still. [The reason why I didn't pick the logos with the triangle was that it gives a picture of a sharp edge, and that points in the wrong direction]

Best,
Mads

[looking forward to the microphones]
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Please don't take this criticism personally as it is offered in the spirit of candor and finding Michael a logo which will serve his company well.

First, the characters "M" and "J" do not interlock well. Second, the characters by themselves lack elegance and refinement. They look blockish and when you try to interlock them they look labyrinthine. I find that interlocking a black character and a white character makes it more difficult for the eye to distinguish the individual characters.

One issue to think about is whether the entire graphic identity of the company will consist solely of a bug comprised of the two interlocking characters "MJ", or whether the company logo will spell out the words "Michael Joly Microphones". Another issue to think about is how mic model numbers will mesh with the company logo on the actual mics.

Quote:
What do you think of this one?
I'm not on board with the black triangle violating the boundary of the containing rectangle, which is why I came up with this:

In either of the two logos above, the model number could replace the word "MICROPHONES" using extended characters from the same type family (Futura, I presume?).

This is not the right typeface but gives you a rough idea:

Old 28th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_z View Post
I like the symmetrical MJ design but wonder how it would look if the M went back to the equal legs (like in the first logo above) and the J top came down in the same proportion the M leg went up (so there are equal amounts of blank space in the lower left and upper right corners. Just a thought!
I tried cutting the J to make a square dot, then a round dot, and dismissed both, but curiously, I didn't try simply shortening the J. Well, it's easy enough to do:

Old 28th December 2009
Gear Addict

hey, does anyone on here know anything about 'isk' mics? I noticed there's a picture of them in the very first post.

I know they're probably not gonna be the best, but they seem to be very good value.

iSK Studio and Broadcast Condenser Microphones plus Ribbon and Drum Microphones

Thanks!

Last edited by David Watts; 28th December 2009 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: missing words
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Please don't take this criticism personally as it is offered in the spirit of candor and finding Michael a logo which will serve his company well.
Don't worry, I do appreciate constructive criticism.

Quote:
First, the characters "M" and "J" do not interlock well.
Er, that I don't quite understand. They interlock perfectly.

Quote:
Second, the characters by themselves lack elegance and refinement. They look blockish and when you try to interlock them they look labyrinthine. I find that interlocking a black character and a white character makes it more difficult for the eye to distinguish the individual characters.
Ah, I think I get it. It isn't that they don't interlock well, but more that they interlock too well, making it difficult for you to make out an M and a J.

Still, at least it has a relation to the name; most logos don't offer even that.

Quote:
One issue to think about is whether the entire graphic identity of the company will consist solely of a bug comprised of the two interlocking characters "MJ", or whether the company logo will spell out the words "Michael Joly Microphones".
The problem with logos that spell out a long name is that they may not be legible when printed very small, when space is scarce.

Quote:
I'm not on board with the black triangle violating the boundary of the containing rectangle,
There we'll have to agree to disagree, as it is what I like most about this design: it makes it stand out, with unassuming style. Plus a triangle pointed up is "positive," while one pointed down is "negative."

Quote:
In either of the two logos above, the model number could replace the word "MICROPHONES" using extended characters from the same type family (Futura, I presume?).
Levenim MT. And yes, it's a good idea, though it may be problematic: if you change the logo by replacing one word by another (or by a serial numer), it is no longer official.
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
They interlock perfectly.
Well, no, they don't. You have several different versions and they are all asymmetrical in some way.

Quote:
The problem with logos that spell out a long name is that they may not be legible when printed very small, when space is scarce.
On the other hand, a logo which says only "MJ" doesn't tell you anything about the company or its business.

Quote:
a triangle pointed up is "positive," while one pointed down is "negative."
Study your logo. You have four down-pointing triangles to one up-pointing.
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, no, they don't. You have several different versions and they are all asymmetrical in some way.
That doesn't mean they don't interlock perfectly. Of course two different letters cannot be symmetrical.

Quote:
On the other hand, a logo which says only "MJ" doesn't tell you anything about the company or its business.
Nor does the Audio Technica logo, or the Mercedes logo, etc. You can add the name of the company on the product; it doesn't have to be part of the official logo.

Quote:
Study your logo. You have four down-pointing triangles to one up-pointing.
I was waiting for that one. No, I have three "holes" and one upward triangle. What people will notice is the upward triangle, and possibly the "diamond" pattern formed by this upward triangle and the surrounding holes.
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That doesn't mean they don't interlock perfectly. Of course two different letters cannot be symmetrical.

Nor does the Audio Technica logo, or the Mercedes logo, etc. You can add the name of the company on the product; it doesn't have to be part of the official logo.

I was waiting for that one. No, I have three "holes" and one upward triangle. What people will notice is the upward triangle, and possibly the "diamond" pattern formed by this upward triangle and the surrounding holes.
Your rationalizations are interesting, to say the least.
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Your rationalizations are interesting, to say the least.
You have reasons for what you do, but I only have "rationalizations"? I have agreed with several of your criticisms; this time I don't, and that makes me unreasonable?
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

This is sorta what I was thinking:
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-logo.jpg  
Old 28th December 2009
Wow, is this thread for real?!

Michael Joly - kudos to YOU for actually going to China. I'm glad hear that you are being proactive in creating and maintaining the quality of your mics, as well as trying to support businesses which respect worker rights. MANY people have been wanting this for a long time. Of course, China has it's problem, but then so do we.

I vote for this logo: http://www.sicart.info/friends/MJM_circle.png

Or this one, in case you decide to drop the E: http://www.sicart.info/friends/AK_MJ_2a.jpg

Both are classy and have a similar aura which stands on it's own.
Attached Images
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-mjm_circle.png 
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I tried cutting the J to make a square dot, then a round dot, and dismissed both, but curiously, I didn't try simply shortening the J. Well, it's easy enough to do:

Cool, now can you photo shop it onto a Joly Modded mk219 heh
I am also curious what this version and the fully extended MJ version would look like with a red square background, with I suppose would just be inner lines and a border of the same thickness on the full MJ version.

Maybe the ribbon and tube mic line could have this logo
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is an improvement but you might want to shorten the hook on the "J" to look less like a "U".
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is an improvement but you might want to shorten the hook on the "J" to look less like a "U".
or extend the middle finger of the M just a bit..... but i don't think anyone will think that is a U, and if people take a split second the think about it they will understand... and thats why it has a pop sense appeal...
it looks great man!!!!!!!!

sinocelt, you are awesome at designing....

i really love the semmetry of the logo now.....

that brown one above looks great too.....

but, the simplicity and symmetry of the new logo look badass.... , but as suggested, maybe a little bit of font adjustment.

however, i think if you consider turning the logo sideways.... so that the top left corner of the M and the bottom right of the J are pointing directly left and right..... so that the basic shape is like this <>
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Here's another.
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-joly-logo-iii.jpg  
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

that "y" in joly that looks like a vintage ribbon is a great idea!!!!!!!

i think overall that is a pretty awesome design.... just a bit complex( if you don't mind my critique)

maybe tuck the word 'microphone' right under the word 'edition' and shrink it to fit next to the 'J'

and make the backround bronze a solid color, and smooth out the jagged edges.

IMO

but the way you designed the words "joly edition" is deffinately awesome...... IMO just that could be a great logo.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ah, I was afraid of that, but didn't even think of doing what you suggested. Good thing I woke up early and have some time in front of me before I must rush out to catch the college bus. Here we go:

Quote:
however, i think if you consider turning the logo sideways.... so that the top left corner of the M and the bottom right of the J are pointing directly left and right..... so that the basic shape is like this <>

And while I'm at it:

In both cases, I think it's a trade-off: less immediate legibility for greater aesthetic appeal.

Quote:
Cool, now can you photo shop it onto a Joly Modded mk219
Maybe later. Right now, I don't have time.

Quote:
I am also curious what this version and the fully extended MJ version would look like with a red square background, with I suppose would just be inner lines and a border of the same thickness on the full MJ version.
|

Quote:
Maybe the ribbon and tube mic line could have this logo

Now don't be silly. There's no way something so ugly could ever have any success at all. heh

Quote:
that "y" in joly that looks like a vintage ribbon is a great idea!!!!!!!
Yup. Pretty clever, memphisindie.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search