The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 25th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post

Apple Computer has been dominated by IBM and it's tentacles for decades, Apple provides a superior service, but, IBM et.al. provide market domination and total saturation based on price. The windows system is a knockoff of the mac system, settled that in court.
Apologies for hijacking the thread, but we need to clear something up here.

1) The first mass-market computer with a modern GUI was the Amiga, not the Mac. It was also the the first mass market computer capable of true pre-emptive multitasking. Every app that Apple claimed to have invented on the Mac was done first on the Amiga with the exception of monotone desktop publishing.

2) Windows was most definitely NOT a "clone of the Mac" and many misguided Mac heads claim. Both Mac and Windows were copies of the Xerox Star at PARC, as was the Amiga.

3) As noted above, Apple in general, and Steve Jobs in particular stole most of their "innovative" ideas from other companies and systems and are in fact just as big thieves of IP as Microsoft. Not at all the "innovators" they claim to be.

If the Amiga had had decent marketing it would be the dominant platform in the computing world today. Unfortunately the original designers were fored to sell out to Commodore, who had no idea what they had and totally dropped the ball. F*ck you, Mehdi Ali!

Into the vacuum marched Steve Jobs, who may not be any kind of computer innovator but is a hell of a marketer and knows a good idea to steal when he sees it. The rest is history, and, unfortunately the winners in history often rewrite the popular record to make themselves look a lot better than they really are.

And there was no "court settlement" of the sort you allege. That's pure fabrication.

The Mac is probably the highest profile case in which the clones actually won.

I still have my old Amigas - in storage, but I still have 'em........
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Wrong. Vinyl is the only segment of record sales that is currently showing an increasing market.
Ha, an increase from what, and to what? From $10,000 in worldwide sales to $15,000? This is essentially a collectibles market, and from a DJ perspective, a highly specialized professional product. There are probably more singing telegrams purchased every month than vinyl records.

Let's face facts, we are talking about what to build an industry around. Vinyl isn't going to support more than six or ten guys worldwide.

Quote:
Because in fact a digital copy of vinyl does NOT sound like the original and people are rediscovering this fact - and that the vinyl version sounds better.
Oh, by the way, how's the mastering on most vinyl these days? I know two bands that have done vinyl releases, and both of them used CD masters created by people who don't even really understand how to do CD masters, let alone vinyl. We do CD and MP3 mastering but would never dream of attempting a vinyl master ourselves, but the artists who aspire to vinyl don't really get the audio quality issues, they're just in it for the nostalgia.

I'm almost 40, and I basically grew up on CDs. Vinyl is cool, sounds great, fun to put on once in a while, but I will not be "rediscovering" it. There are damned few new and great-sounding vinyl records coming out. It's a niche of a niche of a niche.

Quote:
Your statement would be more correct if you had said "All mass market content is digital at this point." Of course mass market is, by definition, lowest common denominator stuff, and hence not that inherently valuable at all.
The mass market is not, by definition, the lowest common denominator. Thriller is not the lowest common denominator. Casablanca is not the lowest common denominator. The greatest artists of every medium in every era seek out and eventually find the greatest audience possible, because every artist wants to reach people.

In our field, few great artists are releasing vinyl, and all of them are releasing CDs and MP3s. This is so obvious I don't even know why I'm posting it.

JSL
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
Girls or wives ? in most areas of china it's illegal to have more than one wife. My tai chi teacher's brother has multiple wives - he lives somewhere in the south of China. There's another region in the southwest where the women rule the roost. Men are invited into a home as a baby daddy, no real marriage, and if the wife gets sick of them they're given the boot. Uncles and grandparents help to raise the children.
I meant Female children.

RE: John Eppstein,

How wrong publictions can be:
Alto project led to the 'Xerox Star 8010 Document Processor' which was released commercially in 1981 for US$17,000 (about $40,000 in today’s money). Although interesting historically, only a handful were actually manufactured.

Steve Jobs, co owner of Apple Computers, visited Xerox in 1979 and left extremely impressed by the Alto. Over the next several years he hired many Xerox engineers, and invested many millions of dollars developing a marketable GUI based computer. In 1983 Apple finally released the $10,000 'Lisa'. It was far too expensive and failed completely, but a year later Apple was able to launch the much cheaper Macintosh which eventually became very popular. Although Jobs took the idea of mouse and graphical user interface from Xerox, there is no doubt that his team at Apple contributed a very great deal to development of the GUI (eg: Overlapping Windows, Dialogue Box, Trash Can).

Meanwhile Microsoft worked on a GUI of it's own, and in 1985 it released an add-on to MSDOS called 'Windows 1.0'. However, this first version of Windows came with no useful compatible applications and its general functionality was limited by legal challenges from Apple. After defeating the law suites (Bill Gates defended them with the claim “hey you copied from Xerox”) it was able to release the much improved Windows 2.0 in 1987.
Better info here:
Apple: The first 30 years | Root | Macworld
Apple History Timeline
The Apple vs. Microsoft GUI Lawsuit

Apparently Daewoo, KK Sotec, and Future Power had planned to release computers with a very Mac logo on them and got shot down in court in 1999.
Apple did eventually lose the lawsuit concerning windows 3.
You can beat cloning and market saturation, but you have to fight hard and fast.
Old 25th December 2009
Gear Addict

Fun with Logos

And yes, it should be "edition" without an s. As a writer, I deal with a fair deal of publishing companies with "editions" at the end of their names, thus my mistake; and when I realized it, I didn't feel like re-doing everything.
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Just waiting up and watching the chimney here...

thanks again for the design ideas. As enamored of "edition" and "editions" as I am, my IP lawyer advises that it is not a strong trade mark because it is ambiguous. "Editions" doesn't say anything about what I do. So, at this point I seem headed toward: "Michael Joly Microphones" - MJM, and as a graphic, perhaps just "MJ" in the center of the logo with "Michael Joly" above and "Microphones" below.

I know for certain I will not use my surname alone, mostly because a lot of people address me on a first name basis and I like that sort of visibility and approachability is part of my personal brand.

Comments?
Old 25th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Comments?
I like MJM. I like the symmetry, and it would look good on the blazon logo. And your lawyer is right, "microphones" is better, clearer.

Old 25th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
thank you Calitone!

Once again JP you're humor is not far reality. I'm going to include an MP3 recording of me thanking each person for their purchase of their particular mic (serial number xxxx) that will be recorded by me with their own mic. I'll include a little weather report or rumination on the day that their mic was finished along with a comment about their mic's individual frequency response chart. This will get sent out as an attachment when their mic is shipped.
Michael, you're a great guy but if I do order anything from you please DO NOT include any f*cking MP3s with my order,. I hate MP3s. Wav files only are accepted........

<grin>
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

I like this version, should be slightly smaller maybe? Good work!

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts-ak_mj_900.jpg  
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

A Very Merry Christmas

It would appear timely to take a short break from proceedings and wish all a very Happy Christmas ..
Old 25th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI View Post
I like this version, should be slightly smaller maybe? Good work!
That's a change I can make easily:

Or -- though it is probably too complex to implement -- the logo could be a LED, to show that the power is on:

Two possible problems, though: it looks more like a logo for a watch brand (or does it look a little like a diaphragm too?) and it may be too reminiscent of the the LG logo.
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Michael?

Matti
Old 25th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
It would have to be a baked on translucent enamel.
I tried to reproduce an enamel luster:

Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Be careful with the led thing to not remind of ( not so good ) AKG Solidtube and Behringer lookalikes

Matti
Old 25th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Be careful with the led thing to not remind of ( not so good ) AKG Solidtube and Behringer lookalikes

Matti
Ah, I didn't know it'd been done already. :o/

And here's a red metallic seal:

Old 25th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
The metal is a gold or yellow bronze, the paint is a red translucent over that
Something like that?

Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Nice!, looks good!
Si vous plais, fill the letters with gold and reverse the shadow.
Maybe a "nautilus", backlit logo.
It has only been done "like that" by Bruce Swedien.
The others are just an led hole in the body. I think.
Old 25th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Michael, you're a great guy but if I do order anything from you please DO NOT include any f*cking MP3s with my order,. I hate MP3s. Wav files only are accepted........
thumbsup dfegadmp3s
Old 25th December 2009
Gear Maniac

My favorite is this one, maybe in gold, or gold on red?

Merry Christmas everyone!!!! I must have been a good boy - Santa Brought me a GAP73 from zenproaudio.com!!! Time to make some recordings with my Fatheads!!!
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Michael?

Matti
Hey Matti - Happy short days! I look forward to the day I visit Finland in the winter. Have to make up some good reason to do so. A young protege of mine played a few dates there this past Summer with Austin Lucas - had a great time and came back with the most glowing accounts of the wonderful nature of the Finnish people he met.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Inform me when the reason to come here is found!

Matti
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nice!, looks good!
Si vous plais, fill the letters with gold and reverse the shadow.

It won't work. You'd need a jeweler to do something like that with enamel at the size of a logo small enough to be attached to a microphone. :o/

[Edit:] Neumann does something similar to what you describe, so I'm obviously wrong.

Old 26th December 2009
Gear Addict

Two more pictures

Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

im thinking the logo could be a picture of an icecream cone with a big scoup of icecream, and in the icecream it could say "MJM"

and also in the package will be a coupon for icecream!!!!!!!
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

I agree with the lawyer. The word "edition" makes it sound like it's a version of some other existing product, e.g. "SM57 Michael Joly Edition".

The circular logo definitely looks like the LG logo. I see an uppercase "G" and a backwards "C". I don't see "MJ". It's also a little reminiscent of Canada's CE mark.

The typeface on the "sealing wax" logo is way too ornate.

Just my unsolicited $0.02 worth.
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
The typeface on the "sealing wax" logo is way too ornate.
I chose it because the J looks like a musical key. Plus, the style fits the "wax seal" idea. The fact that the police is called "French Script MT" is just a coincidence.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
the J looks like a musical key
It also looks like a lowercase "g".

You use a typeface like this:

Affront-Regular « MyFonts

with the uppercase characters "MJ" in that typeface and the words "Michael Joly" on the top and "Microphones" on the bottom in a smaller, narrower font.

You also have to take into account how much an emblem would add to the cost of the mic (depending on how the emblem is constructed).
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Addict

Yet Another One

Surrounded as it is, the dot above the J is not unlike a diaphragm under its grid:

And for an "old radio" feel:

Quote:
You use a typeface like this:

Affront-Regular « MyFonts
Not with the seal version, no, it really doesn't fit.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not with the seal version, no, it really doesn't fit.
Don't use a seal.
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Don't use a seal.
Er, yeah, but the seal is the idea. If you don't like it, I can't force you, but telling me to change the font and the seal itself is just telling me to scrap the whole idea, not to improve on it.

Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Fascination stuff! I've been hanging back to leave some space for more opinions. DRP - if you're still following this thread I'd love to hear your thoughts since the badge treatments started with you.

I'll just summarize a bit here - the text has been revised to "Michael Joly", "Microphones" and either "MJ" or "MJM" as the central initials. I think I'm favoring "MJM"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search