The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Mic Trip Pictures and Thoughts Condenser Microphones
Old 6th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiodawg View Post
"Observe the Public Order" or face another Tiananmen Square.
Don't you mean "KENT STATE"?
Old 6th December 2009
Gear Guru

Michael, for whatever it's worth I have deep respect for your path and your choices; the energy and clarity of thought and purpose you embody is, in my experience, uncommon, and I for one appreciate it.

I think that, despite what the media and powers that be (who profit and thrive on fear and divisiveness) would have us believe, the overwhelming majority of Americans are doing as well or better than they ever have. I believe that, as with all cultures and societies, we have people struggling, falling behind and thru the cracks, and we can do much much better in terms of creating a network of support and resources by which people can stabilize their lives and better their position.

I do not for one second believe the solution to our woes is to somehow bring large scale manufacturing of 'stuff' back inside our borders in order to employ a society of people that then use their hard earned wages to buy said 'stuff'. I believe the future well-being of a planet 6+ billion deep in human bodies has to move beyond that model if it wants to prosper for any sustainable length of time.

All of this is to say that imvho what you are doing by partnering with China is in no way wrong, bad, evil, destructive, or counter to our interests here in the states; quite the opposite in fact. Your insistence that business be handled ethically, fairly, with an eye to true quality of product and genuine value, all seems very human and good to me.

Perhaps if all businesses were run with such a balanced, human-centered approach, it would matter far less who actually built what and where and for how much, because we would find ourselves living in a world that was eminently more just, more equitable in its distribution of resources and care, and more compassionate overall. In a world where most everyone was freed from perpetual anxiety over the basics of survival, all this other crap that looms as so very dire and critical would simply dissolve into the vapors of our minds whence it came.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 6th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
if your putting up your logo for critiques,

i'd have to say i really like the design... that works completely..

the only thing is the bright red, maybe could be dulled down a bit....

or something not so bright.....

i like the idea of bronze with white lettering....

or if the lettering was bronze, or indian red, then the bright red wouldn't stand out as much....
i mean this in the most constructive way

just my opinion, the red won't keep me from using them, and you never really now how it will look until you've seen it in person...
Brass, silver or gold over black. If not black, then midnight blue. Yes, I know the Chinese think that red is the color of good fortune and prosperity, but black and really dark blue are a lot classier........ And the letteringv and outer oval should definitely be raised, ala Telefunken......
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

How come nobody mentions that the Chinese mic factories started with the help from eastern Germany ( Neumann east ) at the time, hence the rights to some capsule designs, you could say...

Matti
Old 6th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
I had some small fried scorpions served on rice crackers twenty years ago. These are eaten for their, ah..."tingly effects". Tastes seem to be changing, I didn't run into any of those on my recent trip.
Too bad - that sounds............ interesting!

Quote:
Great story, you really nail the near simulataneous pre-modern / post-modern experience that urban China is now. A place where you can still eat bugs for lunch and ride a MagLev train at 450 km / hour bringing some Profiteroles home. When I first visited 20 years ago I had largely are rear-view mirror look at a receeding past - bamboo scaffolding, sidewalk bicycle repair shops, older people still wearing "Mao-style" jackets. This year - wham! Its like looking through a telescope into the future.
Hey, a lobster isn't anything more than a big aquatic bug!

Down N'Awleans way they call crayfish "mudbugs".

A crab's a "bug".

So's a shrimp, er, prawn.........

'Murricans LOVE their bugsl, especially with steak!
Old 6th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I just wanted to make a tiny correction:
B&O is a Danish company, which by the way still exists, making crazy expensive flat-panel TVs, possibly with a lot of Chinese and other out-sourced parts in it.

::
Mads
oops! Yes, Danish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
The "trade secret" of cocacola was put in place to protect the ingredients from being disclosed, because they became illegal, yet, they still used it and because Coca Cola was use to give slaves and cotton pickers extra energy to pick cotton all day long in the hot sun, it used to make your tongue numb.
The secret ingredient was and still is :
COCAINE.
They only use the flavor of it now. What happens to the rest of it?
Ok, maybe not the best example. Let's use Col. Sanders instead........
Old 6th December 2009
Michael - one thing you didn't mention about that broadcast mic - is it a true "variable-D" design like the RE-20 or are the slots essentially cosmetic?
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Too bad..... that sounds - interesting!
They still have bugs and scorpions and snakes at the street stands in Beijing, right off of wangfuxing. They'll grill 'em right up for you. Not my thing, really, but I did enjoy some nice sliced and marinated donkey on one trip.

If I had to generalize I'd have to say that the Chinese are the most gracious and hospitable people I have ever encountered. Communist party members and high ranking media government officials, many of whom I've had dinner and drinks with, are family men (and women) and enjoy a good joke over some duck liver just like anyone else. I was in the home of a good friend, the father of whom had been a soldier in tiananmen square on the day. His daughter, my friend, told me that that day was one of the only two days in her life when she was truly afraid. The way instability has been exploited in China made that whole thing much scarier to them that it would be to us. Not justifying anything, just looking through someone else's eyes.

Her dad was also a poet and calligrapher, for which during the Cultural Revolution he was exiled from his family to a far away factory for 7 years. Now he is a noted, if not famous, calligrapher and has retied with his wife to a comfortable town home in Beijing where I was flattered to be invited. One of his calligraphic works, a ancient poem, was framed on his wall, which I admired, and they translated it for me---it had to do with mountains and the sea, beautiful as they explained it. While we had tea with her mom and friends, her dad disappeared for awhile. 20 minutes later he reappeared with a large piece of rice paper on which he had duplicated his work as a gift to me.

I'm just going on about this as a way of saying that once you eat and drink with strangers they become people just like you. Much better to get the groundlevel, engaged view than to toss around ill informed stereotypes.

-R
Old 6th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI View Post
How come nobody mentions that the Chinese mic factories started with the help from eastern Germany ( Neumann east ) at the time, hence the rights to some capsule designs, you could say...

Matti
+1

MJ is a serious guy and his mic line will be just like him, for sure.

Solid and serious companies do great gear no matter where it was manufactured.

Everybody must remember that now it's China, but in the past it was Taiwan ROC, Hong Kong, Japan... and where is it going to be in the future?

The place does not matter, but the people who deals with it!

all the best,
ave.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yes

Matti
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, that's the goal. I can see needing two local people by next Summer. Probably "mother's hours" / job share situation that would give a couple of people a part time income and allow them to care for their families. One step at a time.
Just happens to be the hours I can work, now I'll be movin my bigfat rump up to Mass.
Quote:
A crab's a "bug".
They are all rolly-polies, wood lice. Just sayin. Why don't KFC sell'em?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I'm just going on about this as a way of saying that once you eat and drink with strangers they become people just like you. Much better to get the groundlevel, engaged view than to toss around ill informed stereotypes.
-R
Poetry.
Thing is, it takes years to find out somethings sometimes, especially things people want to hide, and people with things to hide sometimes didn't think they had a choice due to threats to their families.
Sometimes. Sometimes things are exactly what they seem, sometimes they're not, you won't know till you get there, doesn't make you bad.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Michael, for whatever it's worth I have deep respect for your path and your choices; the energy and clarity of thought and purpose you embody is, in my experience, uncommon, and I for one appreciate it.

I think that, despite what the media and powers that be (who profit and thrive on fear and divisiveness) would have us believe, the overwhelming majority of Americans are doing as well or better than they ever have. I believe that, as with all cultures and societies, we have people struggling, falling behind and thru the cracks, and we can do much much better in terms of creating a network of support and resources by which people can stabilize their lives and better their position.

I do not for one second believe the solution to our woes is to somehow bring large scale manufacturing of 'stuff' back inside our borders in order to employ a society of people that then use their hard earned wages to buy said 'stuff'. I believe the future well-being of a planet 6+ billion deep in human bodies has to move beyond that model if it wants to prosper for any sustainable length of time.

All of this is to say that imvho what you are doing by partnering with China is in no way wrong, bad, evil, destructive, or counter to our interests here in the states; quite the opposite in fact. Your insistence that business be handled ethically, fairly, with an eye to true quality of product and genuine value, all seems very human and good to me.

Perhaps if all businesses were run with such a balanced, human-centered approach, it would matter far less who actually built what and where and for how much, because we would find ourselves living in a world that was eminently more just, more equitable in its distribution of resources and care, and more compassionate overall. In a world where most everyone was freed from perpetual anxiety over the basics of survival, all this other crap that looms as so very dire and critical would simply dissolve into the vapors of our minds whence it came.

Gregory Scott - ubk

+1

Dude, you are on a roll tonight....
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

A crab's a "bug".

if any gearslutz are in Beijing and want to conduct a double blind test comparing bugs with various kinds of crustaceans, I will organize the event. haha. I will of course not eat anything during the actual testing (in order to guarantee the neutrality of the experiment) but I will be glad to organize the food, drink, ambulance, etc.

-synthoid
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

oh man, combine that with a couple of mic shoot-outs and a single malt scotch tasting and I'm in - maybe some evening during PALM Beijing in May. Seriously, I'd like to get Beijing GearSlutz together during the show as part of the Asian launch festivities of my new mic line.
Old 6th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
if any gearslutz are in Beijing and want to conduct a double blind test comparing bugs with various kinds of crustaceans, I will organize the event. haha. I will of course not eat anything during the actual testing (in order to guarantee the neutrality of the experiment) but I will be glad to organize the food, drink, ambulance, etc.

-synthoid

Yeah we had something like that in Spice Spirit near Changhong Qiao- I know for sure they were a type of shrimp but they looked so much like "bugs" we just couldn't stomach a whole bowl of them.

Not to say the food in Beijing is bad - it's absolutely the opposite!!! Culinary heaven.
Old 6th December 2009
Quote:
oh man, combine that with a couple of mic shoot-outs and a single malt scotch tasting and I'm in - maybe some evening during PALM Beijing in May. Seriously, I'd like to get Beijing GearSlutz together during the show as part of the Asian launch festivities of my new mic line.
Sounds like my perfect kind of evening too Michael! I'd be very happy to host something.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds great. I'm tempted to fly over. Absolutely craving some roast duck.

-R
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
That sounds great. I'm tempted to fly over. Absolutely craving some roast duck.

-R
Me too, always craving roast duck, i only eat other things because I have to.
Can't fly to China for it, yet.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

i remember a trip to asia a while back, some fancy meals included:

baby octopus on a stick roasted over a fire

pigs blood cooked over rice

pigeon whole, so my friend and i dug into the head and started with the brains

i would eat anything, but because my body was unaccustomed, a was spilling out both ends for the first two weeks of my trip.
but i didn't consider this a bad thing, it was all just part of the experience....

the only bad thing was once when i let it slip and messed my pants!!!!!!
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Oh, Snap! He went there!
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

Gregory Scott - ubk
Wow Gregory. Sounds like you've managed to put fear of living behind you. In my view, the biggest challenges facing us are our own individual fears. Fear of: loss of love, loss of respect, loss of prestige, loss of privilege, loss of income, loss of status. Despite his flaws, I always am reminded of the words of Thomas Jefferson when it comes to questions of "intellectual property" -

"He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me.

That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density in any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move, and have our physical being, incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation. Inventions then cannot, in nature, be a subject of property."

Now that guy could write!
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by avebr View Post
Everybody must remember that now it's China, but in the past it was Taiwan ROC, Hong Kong, Japan... and where is it going to be in the future?
Yeah, I agree with you. I believe now there is still more than 0.5 billion of people in China make less than 150USD per month (1000RMB). So, factories in China will still take the advantage of labor cost for another 2~3 decades.
If buyers can get honest factories who understand well about QC and can really follow the guidelines and all the promises, the quality will be consistent. Just remember, most of consumer electronic products are made / assembled in China, including ipod and etc. The key problem will be finding a honest factory or determining if he is the one you can really work with. It usually takes a lot of time and effort to filter out liars.

However, for small companies / importers, due to MOQ issue, they will need to look for other small factories, who will take very small orders, and those small factories don't even have concept about AQL. Sadly, factories with less than 200 people in Guangzhou still freak me out when they said "Mo men tai" , and I know it always become "Yao men tai". But after one or two insane orders, we all have our own solution to keep the quality consistent. heh
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Mike,
This is no personal attack.
Just because he was "Thomas Jefferson", doesn't mean he was correct, no matter how good his flowery speech was. He was just another human with "a dream".

When everyone has everything, everything becomes worthless.
Life is not about all men being the same. Equal, yes, under circumstances, but, not everyone having everything without struggle.
Resources are plenty, "Availability" of resources are finite, there isn't enough gold available, or gasoline, or electricity, or, food.
Jefferson was a very flawed thinker, he solved his own resource availability problem only, but, he did get into action. Problem is, uninformed action is bound to create disaster.
Who will fix that?

Food would be a good resources availability problem to solve first.
Jefferson didn't solve that.

I've seen plenty of people with "no fear of living" recklessly bounce off of others like a pinball with no regard, and they destroy people's lives in ignorance, because they have the monetary resources to do damage and leave the vicinity. All of them wish they hadn't, and all of them knew they could have done something about it before they started and it would have taken them 15 more minutes.
It's not all good. It could be though.
You have a really good start on that.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

oh man. I loves me a good Jefferson / Adams style debate!
Old 7th December 2009
I recently had the pleasure of sharing a dinner with Thomas Jefferson, and...

I am trying to explain to this ghost here in the seat next to me what exactly is going on.

We are in a carriage, riding down the road, as fast as a bird can fly. Our carriage is powered by lamp oil, there are no horses pulling us. We control our progress by adjusting the levers from the Main Chair. Someone in the carriage really needs to sit in the Main Chair and run the controls, or else the carriage will not move.

It's the standard protocol that passengers sit facing the Main Window like in pews at church. There are actually windows all around, but naturally your major interest is in the direction of travel. You're going very, very fast, Tom, I can't emphasize this enough. You could meander off the road and be vaporized in an instant, truthfully this happens ALOT.

"You agree to enter these extremely dangerous conveyances?"

Eh... what you gonna do. Maybe it's a way of weeding out the sloppy and inattentive among us? Another thing, there's ALOT of people, no shortage there!

So, to our dinner. We are sitting here eating a hearty repast-- mashed potatos and gravy, a crisp cole slaw salad of cabbage and carrots, and hot, greasy fried chicken. In our carriage! A gentleman presenting a concert with lively, randy musicians surrounds us-- they are invisible. Earlier we stopped at an inn where a soldier from Kentucky oversees the preparation of these feasts. He caters to travelers, and prepares portable crockery included with our meal.

"This is yours to keep?"

Or throw it out, sure. Now, back to your issues... "a decent respect to the opinions of mankind" was the first thing to go. People just see each other as animals, these days, if that. See... what you would've called 'entertainment' has ballooned, at the same time people kind of lost touch with how the work they do furthers the benefit of their farm. At night, every establishment is not only lit brightly with candles, but the roadway signs are trumpeted with hurricane lamps. There are vast wares houses where candlelight is projected on a wall while actors emote dialog. It's like a play, only... as a play viewed in a dream would be. These playhouses run at all hours of every day.

"It's a wealthy patron who can afford such luxuries!"

Deadpan stare. Machineries have been developed to multiply human effort a trillionfold. Running through alot of lamp oil. But, now, politics, your forte I guess. (Low whistle.) There are guilds that control all this, vast enterprises. Your President is more of a king than any king could have imagined. The country's army is all mercenary. Language has been drained of meaning. People's participation in politics is akin to an outing at the village faire.

"Is this not intolerable, this ceding of your inalienable rights?"

I guess.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Friend Patterson, thy words are beyond reproach. One can only append, nay not dispute them, and thus I offer from friend Bacon, an excerpt from his New Atlantis - 1626, now a foundation of the credo of sound workers everywhere...

"We have also sound-houses, where we practise and demon- strate all sounds and their generation. We have harmony which you have not, of quarter-sounds and lesser slides of sounds. Divers instruments of music likewise to you unknown, some sweeter than any you have; with bells and rings that are dainty and sweet.

We represent small sounds as great and deep, likewise great sounds extenuate and sharp; we make divers tremblings and warblings of sounds, which in their orig- inal are entire. We represent and imitate all articulate sounds and letters, and the voices and notes of beasts and birds.

We have certain helps which, set to the ear, do further the hearing greatly; we have also divers strange and artificial echoes, re- flecting the voice many times, and, as it were, tossing it; and some that give back the voice louder than it came, some shriller and some deeper; yea, some rendering the voice, differing in the letters or articulate sound from that they receive. We have all means to convey sounds in trunks and pipes, in strange lines and distances."
Old 7th December 2009
"Hmmmm... well, sounds like truths self-evident to me..."
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Ahh, now we've really taken off!! hehhehheh
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Here's hoping I wake up tomorrow as intellectually flawed as Thomas Jefferson.
Michael, does the K47H fit on an MXL 993? If not, is there anything that can be done to this mic to make it useful?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search