The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic stands: What do you use, what do you like?
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Addict

Mic stands: What do you use, what do you like?

Who makes a decent mic stand? Or what stands have you used that you'd buy again, and which would you avoid? I certainly don't need anything as massive as the Manley, just something that does the job, is portable, built well and won't piss me off. I have no idea what a decent mic stand costs, so throw out suggestions for any price.
Old 17th May 2003
Motown legend

Best stand I know is a 3-section AKG with a 2 section AKG boom and a Black Audio counterweight on the boom.

It'll go anywhere except way up in the air which is a different can of worms that requires specialized gear to do right.
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Addict

Thanks, Bob. Is this an older stand and boom? On AKG's US website, they're showing K&M stands. The AKG Austria website has some different model #'s but they also look like K&M stands. Do you know if AKG have always used K&M, or did they actually manufacture their own stands, or perhaps re-brand a different manufacturer's stand? There's also a reference to a K&M model stand on Black Audio's "AKG Stand and Boom Parts" page, so I'm guessing AKG stands = K&M. Can you give me any more info on the stand and boom you're talking about?
Old 18th May 2003
Here for the gear

I'm a big fan of Atlas booms. Weighted well and sturdy as heck.
Old 18th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

I have some 1- yar old Beyer stands. they look very similar to the K&M's, but feel like they are sturdier. I need another dozen or so boom stands for the studio, and I'm strongly considering going back to the old Atlas stands with the cast iron bases - do they still make those?

I hate to have a $2000 microphone end up on the floor because a $29 stand fell over...
Old 18th May 2003
Here for the gear

Dave,

The Atlases are still being made. I have one that's about 15 years old and one I bought new 2 months ago (approx $250.00 not including tax) and the only difference I can perceive is the casting for the counter-wieght is, well, less-rough on the new one. All-in-all, exactly the same. They're available on the internet of course, but also they're being stocked in some banjo centers (at least here in Chicago and also Los Angeles...or so I'm told).
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Addict

The new version of that big Atlas stand now has wheels on the base and some air system that they rave on about. I thought the wheels were way overdue. I modified on of the old ones into a tall straight stand for stereo micing and it is sooo heavey and cumbersome.

Beez
Old 18th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Actually, I'm even thinking about the small stands for miking guitars, toms, etc.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

I have many K&M stands and some of them are marked with the GS brand logo. I guess these people are big time metal fabicaters as I have seen their name on everything from chairs in hairdressers to metal rack cases that different manufacturers use. The AKG stands (well at least all the ones I have bought) are K&M stands. I have 4 ST212's which are quite large and an ST208 which will reach about 4 metres + another 2 on a boom. Of course I have many of the other smaller models for vocals and cabs, kits etc. I also have 5 Keith Monks stands. Nice single clutch mech, but they had a reputation for cracking on the boom clutch. Pity as they are really easy to use and very sturdy.

Regards

Roland
Old 18th May 2003
Motown legend

They are probably K&Ms. I really don't care for the OTHER K&Ms, only the three-section with the little two-section boom. Most stores don't stock them because they are more expensive than the 2 section stands.

I just looked and don't see any on their web site so maybe they are gone. Too bad, it was the only really great off-the-shelf solution.

The next best thing is an Atlas MS4 3-section stem mounted on an MS-20 base with a baby boom on it that's been cut in half.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
They are probably K&Ms. I really don't care for the OTHER K&Ms, only the three-section with the little two-section boom. Most stores don't stock them because they are more expensive than the 2 section stands.

I just looked and don't see any on their web site so maybe they are gone. Too bad, it was the only really great off-the-shelf solution.

The next best thing is an Atlas MS4 3-section stem mounted on an MS-20 base with a baby boom on it that's been cut in half.
I quite like the low level two section K&M with 2 section booms. Really useful for cabs kits etc and they just don't get too much in the way.

regards

Roland
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Addict

Hey, thanks for the info. I'll go have a look at the brands/models you all mentioned
Old 19th May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
I'm strongly considering going back to the old Atlas stands with the cast iron bases - do they still make those? ..
I recently bought some new Atlas stands with the triangle iron base. That same day I saw some picture of Led Zepplin playing live in '72. Plant was using the exact same stand on stage.

Funny. Great stands tho and not too expensive.
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson

That is my favorite stand as well, and just looked up the part number on K&M's website last week - I hope it hasn't dissapeared since then! Anyway, here's the number:

25200-300-55

-Dave
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Neumann stands?

I've got a tripod boom stand that I'm pretty sure is a Neumann M210/1 (got it as a gift more than a few years ago). This thing is great and I'd really like to get my hands on more of them.

Anybody else using the Neumann stands here in the States? I can't seem to find them on this side of the puddle and they're not even on the Neumann USA website. They're on the GMBH site under A to Z then click on "S" for stands.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Walling1
That is my favorite stand as well, and just looked up the part number on K&M's website last week - I hope it hasn't dissapeared since then! Anyway, here's the number:

25200-300-55

-Dave
Here's that:

http://www.k-m.de/D/Katalog/anzeige/...8&fc=55&spr=EN

I had it bookmarked from a search for these things a couple of months ago. The question is: where to get 'em.. Like Bob said, it's rare to see them in stores, the non-telescoping boom on 2-piece base is all I usually see.

-dave
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Nut

Hmm.. I use Manfrotto lightening stands. they are fairly light-weight (aluminium), but stroing and sturdy. They come with nice sandbag counterwieghts and can handle the mighty RCA 44 on boom fully extended. Cost about $100 us. Scott Dorsey turned me on to using lighting stands VIA RAP.
Old 20th May 2003
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
Here's that:

http://www.k-m.de/D/Katalog/anzeige/...8&fc=55&spr=EN
That's the one!

Add a Black Audio counterbalance weight and you've got the closest thing I've ever seen to a universal application mike stand.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

future stand

Some of you may be tired of my trolling, but I'm working on a killer mic stand. Yes, three years is a long time to design a stand, but we're talking about the most radical redesign of the studio mic stand ever.

Multiple patents, strong as hell, easy to adjust, and NO PLAY OR SLOP. Designed to be superior to Manfrotto lighting stands, Atlas, and Keith Monks stands. I haven't seen the particular K&M stand that Bob Ohlsson prefers, but I guarantee that no other boom clutch can hold a candle to our design in strength or ease of use. It looks pretty cool too.

The strongest boom clutch ever. With one stand, I can dangle a pair of C12's over the middle of my grand piano with no counterweight or sandbag. (Don't) Try that with a Manfrotto or AKG.

Design is final, tooling is being ordered. Legal work taking much longer than anticipated, all that damn innovation you know.

It's not just a stand, it's a system. A way of life. Designed by a Gearslut, with help from a genius or two.

wurly
Latch Lake Music
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: future stand

Quote:
Originally posted by wurly
Some of you may be tired of my trolling, but I'm working on a killer mic stand. Yes, three years is a long time to design a stand, but we're talking about the most radical redesign of the studio mic stand ever.

Multiple patents, strong as hell, easy to adjust, and NO PLAY OR SLOP. Designed to be superior to Manfrotto lighting stands, Atlas, and Keith Monks stands. I haven't seen the particular K&M stand that Bob Ohlsson prefers, but I guarantee that no other boom clutch can hold a candle to our design in strength or ease of use. It looks pretty cool too.

The strongest boom clutch ever. With one stand, I can dangle a pair of C12's over the middle of my grand piano with no counterweight or sandbag. (Don't) Try that with a Manfrotto or AKG.

Design is final, tooling is being ordered. Legal work taking much longer than anticipated, all that damn innovation you know.

It's not just a stand, it's a system. A way of life. Designed by a Gearslut, with help from a genius or two.

wurly
Latch Lake Music
How much??

Regards

Roland
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

how much?

I wish I could give you a price but it's too soon, and I don't want to list a maybe price and get beat up later if it doesnt work out the way we want.

Let's just say it will cost more than Atlas and appreciably less than a Starbird. And it will be as home in a small room as a big one.

Dan Kennedy of Great River saw an earlier version of the stand and said he wanted one. The real version totally rocks. Let me assure all of my fellow GearSlutz that you will be the first people to see pix and own these babies.

Patent BS is holding things up now, all stuff out of our control. But I'm still pushing for 2003.

The Bob Ohlsonn preferred K&M stand looks interesting, but if that's the best one CURRENTLY out there, I'll sleep very well tonight, with absolutely no offense intended to Bob. I place great value in Bob's posts, and look forward to the time that I can get his opinion of my stand.

If you need a quick mic stand fix, get Bob's favorite stand because it IS currently available.

Thank you for your interest.

wurly
Latch Lake Music
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: how much?

Quote:
I wish I could give you a price but it's too soon, and I don't want to list a maybe price and get beat up later if it doesnt work out the way we want.

Patent BS is holding things up now, all stuff out of our control. But I'm still pushing for 2003.

The Bob Ohlsonn preferred K&M stand looks interesting, but if that's the best one CURRENTLY out there, I'll sleep very well tonight, with absolutely no offense intended to Bob. I place great value in Bob's posts, and look forward to the time that I can get his opinion of my stand.

wurly
Latch Lake Music
With all due respect, the K&M stands are considerably cheaper than the Atlas.

If you have filed the Patent, unless you are infringing someone else's Patent you should already be protected. Ultimately there is no better protection than getting your product to the market place first, anybody who wants to copy you will have to take a look at what you are offering, design one (or rip off your design), tool up for it, then try to convince everyone that they can do it and supply it cheaper than you can. I can't see that you have any risk, its not that large a market, well not the larger mic stand market.

Regards

Roland
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Maniac

legal nonsense

Actually, I'm fairly familiar with the patent process because I already have more than a few patents.

The patent search process is very lengthy for this escapade because of the multiple unique features that are applicable to at least three different markets, namely recording, lighting, and medical.

The patent search must be completed before the applications can be made. AND, if the claims on the application are not accepted by the patent examiner, there is no legal protection.

Once the patent applications are made and claims accepted, protection begins, although patents aren't really much good until they have been tested and held up in court.

We are still in the search stage.

I don't recall making any statements regarding the relative pricing of Atlas & K&M stands.

As you were,

wurly
Latch Lake Music
Old 21st May 2003
Motown legend

The thing I like about the 3-section K&M is that I can get a number of mikes exactly where I want to put them with the musicians really closely-spaced. With other stands I end up compromising the mike position or else having to move musicians around in order to make room for the stands.

I've had my 4 over ten years and never had any mechanical problems at all unlike older K&Ms.
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: legal nonsense

Quote:
Actually, I'm fairly familiar with the patent process because I already have more than a few patents.

The patent search process is very lengthy for this escapade because of the multiple unique features that are applicable to at least three different markets, namely recording, lighting, and medical.

The patent search must be completed before the applications can be made. AND, if the claims on the application are not accepted by the patent examiner, there is no legal protection.

Once the patent applications are made and claims accepted, protection begins, although patents aren't really much good until they have been tested and held up in court.

We are still in the search stage.

I don't recall making any statements regarding the relative pricing of Atlas & K&M stands.

As you were,

wurly
Latch Lake Music
My point was that if someone tried to launch a patent for your product now they would be behind you by however much in the queue, so they couldn't "beat you to it", and as you say once you have it there is still the matter of it being tested in the court if someone was silly enough to try and copy you!

Quote:
Let's just say it will cost more than Atlas and appreciably less than a Starbird. And it will be as home in a small room as a big one.
Well that statement says it surely? Its common knowledge that the Atlas is more expensive than the K&M's, but then it is a more heavy duty stand per say. So by deduction you are going to be more expensive than the K&M.

Regards

Roland
Old 22nd May 2003
Gear Maniac

No contest

Roland,

I am not trying to get in a pissing contest with you.

I have already been ripped off on a patented invention of mine so I am not anxious to take a product to market with only the thin protection of a head start. If I came off as defensive, that is why. Once burned, twice shy.

Your deductive reasoning is correct, my stand will cost more than the K&M that Bob Ohlsonn prefers.

Bob O., my stand has three vertical sections, and along with the unique base and an accesory it is extremely versatile in the "getting lots of mics in a small space" department. For instance, I can hang 10 or so mics on a drum kit with only three stands, and still not have boom ends sticking out all over like a porcupine.

And posterchild, as far as I know, all AKG mic stands are and have been manufactured by K&M.

Kind regards,

wurly
Latch Lake Music
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear