The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best high end versatile vocal mic under 2000$ ?! Condenser Microphones
Old 21st November 2009
Here for the gear

Best high end versatile vocal mic under 2000$ ?!

Any suggestions?
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

used u87
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear
Pearlman TM-1
Old 22nd November 2009
md6
Here for the gear

mic

+1 on the Pearlman
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

U87 over 42 years in use, and some people still don't see or hear it as the industry standard for EVERYTHING.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
U87 over 42 years in use, and some people still don't see or hear it as the industry standard for EVERYTHING.
Maybe, but it's wayyyy over the poster's price.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Head

Lauten audio-- Oceanus
check it out you won't regret it
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

tuff one

This is a hard one .

Lawson 47

Gefell vintage CMV 563 with M7

Gefell M 930

Lawson 251 fet

These are the ones that I know are good selections for sure .
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Head

Well I bought a Telefunken MK16 open box new mic for $1600 I believe a few months ago. I know it is not recommended as much as the ak47 for male vocals, but I am a bass baritone mostly, and I love this mic for myself. No harshness that I could get in some other mics, and none of that over-hyped low end. I can sing anyway I want in this mic and it sounds natural and I don't have to adjust my singing to suit the mic. If you want a lot of presence and harshness I wouldn't recommend this mic. I love my other mics too Neumann and akg, but I love this mic about twice as much.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

Though I've no experience with them, I am interested in the Bees Neez microphone line. Perhaps it's worth checking into.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post

You are correct if you buy new. U87 can be had for $1700 on the used market. Know your used gear market. Saves you ton of cash.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The problem, though, is that with the possible exception of a few higher-end dynamic mics (which are the exception that proves the rule, IMO), the "high end" for vocal mics (and especially the more versatile high end vocal mics) starts around 4k and goes up from there.

Now, the middle range offers some respectable (and even a few versatile) offerings that fall nicely in the 1-3k range and the lower half of that range falls within the OPs stated budget. But that wasn't the question.

Given the conundrum the thread title presents, I think that dhiltonlittle's suggestion of a used classic from the "lower end of high end" was a perfectly reasonable response.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Although my 67's and Horch can kick royal a## on a vocal with the right singer, I've found the Soundelux U99 is the only mic I've owned that seems to NEVER sound bad in a vocal shootout. At worst it's pretty darn good and at best it's world class (with the right mic pre). Singers, especially R&B diva's loooove their voice on this mic (although the Mastering Lab mic pre and RCA BA6 in the chain don't hurt
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

my vote goes for a Violet Amethyst Vintage. Really amazing to my ears... and well under 2k. (there's one in the classifieds right now..I'm not relate to the seller in any way: do your checking, be careful).
I used the Amethyst Vintage on various sources.. Doublebass, accordion, bass drum (yes a rock one), bass cabs (hardcore stuff!!), vox....etc.. it shines, huge controlled and extended low end and natural crispy highs... I didn't find a source where this mic disappointed me.
But there are several manufacturer that build great mics...Gefell is another brand where I'd look and BeesNeez too.

To find something that really outperforms these mics you have to go in the 4k-5k ish (and more) area.

just my 0.02$,
hope it helps..
Bests,

Cheu
Old 22nd November 2009
Here for the gear

hey thx everybody, very appreciated!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

You might look into the Beesneez line of mics. I have a Jade myself and find it to be a wonderful performer. With your budget, things open up and you have more choices such as the Arabella or James. You might also go the used U87 route, certainly a U87 would get tons of use.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM Interactive View Post
The problem, though, is that with the possible exception of a few higher-end dynamic mics (which are the exception that proves the rule, IMO), the "high end" for vocal mics (and especially the more versatile high end vocal mics) starts around 4k and goes up from there.

Now, the middle range offers some respectable (and even a few versatile) offerings that fall nicely in the 1-3k range and the lower half of that range falls within the OPs stated budget. But that wasn't the question.

Given the conundrum the thread title presents, I think that dhiltonlittle's suggestion of a used classic from the" lower end of high end" was a perfectly reasonable response.
I think you guys are right, but as a hobbyist i feel scared a bit about buying used condensers... I just don't know why someone would want to sell such a great mic? Many reasons I know, but still, it's the kind of thing I still like to buy brand new.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
thumbsup
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
worth the money

buy a good one and it is an investment
buy any other new mic and you lose money the day you buy it

get a good old u87 you'll have it for life
you can get an excellent specimen for between $1800-2.5k
You buy any other new mic for $2k and the day you crack open
box the mic is now worth $1500 if you're lucky

U87s will just go up in value if it's original and in good shape
Old 23rd November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
you can get an excellent specimen for between $1800-2.5k

U87s will just go up in value if it's original and in good shape
Don't these two statements contradict each other?
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Alex View Post
Don't these two statements contradict each other?
not unless you understand that the demand for, condition and year a mic was made reflects its used price.

A better example would be a fine Les Paul specimen that will cost you between say $3500 and $350,000. Like a U87 you want it built before a certain date since the new ones are not very good. And like a vintage u87 a vintage LP will only go up in value regardless if it was made in 1957 or 1995. If you want a 59 Paul you pay 250000+. If you want a nice 70's u87 in near mint cond you pay 2500+ and a late 80's 87 will cost about $1800+ or so?. A nice mid 90's CS paul will cost you 3500+? But they are all good and will all be an investment w/ price relative to it's 'antique status'.

So to answer your question, NO the statements do not contradict. But I guess if you have no idea or appreciation for how much vintage gear costs, and why 2 particular pieces of gear of the same model may vary in price? Then ones ability to discern gear value based on demand, date and/or condition is in fact.............contradictory? since they shouldn't be asking such a question if they don't understand the basis on how vintage gear would actually be priced. But I guess that's what's cool about vintage gear or anything for that matter. It's worth whatever someone is actually willing to pay for it.

Actually a mint 70's U87 may run you $3k+ if you bought it from a reputable dealer. If you bought one on ebay maybe much less? but do you really know what you're getting? can you return it? is there a warranty? So that's the short answer of why those two statements do not contradict? Do you want the long answer? Do you understand now why a vintage piece may vary in price? or do you still think the two statements still contradict? either way it probably doesn't really matter. Just buy an old 87 or u89 and be happy you don't have an ai

Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Head

Pearlman TM-1 thumbsup
Old 24th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
or do you still think the two statements still contradict? either way it probably doesn't really matter. Just buy an old 87 or u89 and be happy you don't have an ai

If you say so, chief.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

I hate to say it, because nobody probably wants to hear it, but a Peluso P12 and keep the extra $800.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

its true...

the p12 is an amazing mic...

i like it better than mics like the LE/SE, mojave, and other competitors.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c View Post
I hate to say it, because nobody probably wants to hear it, but a Peluso P12 and keep the extra $800.
After recording vocals with a P12 in a mic shootout that I still haven't posted I realized it was delivering the same sound quality and timber and waveform of a 414 BXLS.
Could it be?
At this point I'd save $1000 and go for a 414 instead of a P12 since I got the same exact sound.

I can post the sound files if anybody wants me to.

PS: I stay with a used U87 idea, don't rush it, wait for the right deal. You can sell the mic for the same money years from now.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

The best I tried so far is the Brauner Valvet X (I payed 1555 €). It replaced the Gefell M930 as my main vocal mic (a great mic too). For certain voices a AEA R84 can be very nice too (with a little EQ).

Oliver
Old 2nd December 2014
Gear Head

my vocals lack but are a lot better when doubled

i dont have that airy voice i need something that is very giving for around 2000
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

The subjectivity apparent in this thread was, unfortunately, predictable. I had the pleasure to record in the early 70s with both U47s and U87s (The old ones with a battery compartment) and at that point 24 track tape and noise reduction protocols were standard procedure. In the half century that has expired since those days we have new, different and some of us believe better digital capture and processing. Anyone that actually believes a $4,000. investment is necessary to get a great vocal mic is delusional. Peluso, Pearlman and a host of other small custom manufacturers in the 2K price range offer very good mics that, when paired with an appropriate Pre amp, will deliver tracks that achieve warm and more transparent sonic results that the old days. I have in my studio 4 Pelusos (2247se with re-worked caps, P67, P12 & P28) with an ADL600, a UA4-710d and RME UFX interface. This "front end menu" has a street value of apx 10K and there is no way a budget busting collector valued brand mic would make a perceivable difference. Find a way to audition all offerings in your price range and buy the one that sounds the best to you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search