The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Triton Audio D2O 500-series mic pre
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

Triton Audio D2O 500-series mic pre

Hi all,

Today Peter Paul from Triton Audio was in our studio to test his new D2O mic pre which will be released for 500 series format begin next year. The pre is based on the Siemens V72 pre.

I was very pleased with the sound off this pre. Very nice open top end with the right amount of sparkle and nice full lows. I recorded some test files in mp3 and compared the D2O tot my Shadow Hills Mono GAMA in Steel and Nickel. I added the files to this post... The D20 really holds his own next to the Shadow Hills and has its own flavour... The Lundalh can be switch in 1:2.5 or 1:5 ratio, there is a 50dB / 70dB feedback switch, phantom power and phase shift. The gain pot is stepped. I'm also very interested in the tube version which will also be released in 500 format in a single unit... I think it will give the Rolls a run for it's money since the pricing will be very very affordable with estimated prices around $600-$700 for the FET and $700-$800,- for the tube version... but don't pin me down on the pricing because the official price has not been set yet...

D2O is a low noise discrete microphone preamp inspired by the famous German pre-amps of the 40's and 50's. It comes in two versions: an all jFet design and a Hybrid tube/fet preamp. D2O's general layout consists of a Lundahl 1538 input transformer followed by a 2 stage amplifier with enough gain to amplify all types of microphones. Output drive is supplied by a discrete low impedance jFet buffer with superb sonic properties. Quality Paper in oil coupling capacitors are used, all other used components are high-end grade as well.

Other features:
Low noise / low res power supply
switch able transformer ratio / input impedance
selectable feedback ratio sets gain and character
stepped attenuator
phase reverse switch
phantom power
available mid December 2009
API 500 series versions will be available early 2010

Home - tritonaudio
Attached Thumbnails
Triton Audio D2O 500-series mic pre-d2osmall.jpg  
Attached Files

D2O 1_5 70dB-1eqa_01.mp3 (1.61 MB, 8854 views)

D2O 1_5 50dB-1eqa_04.mp3 (2.67 MB, 8206 views)

D2O 1_2.5 70dB-1eqa_02.mp3 (2.45 MB, 7808 views)

D2O 1_2.5 50dB-1eqa_03.mp3 (2.57 MB, 7474 views)

SH Nickel-1eqa_01.mp3 (2.60 MB, 8018 views)

SH Steel-1eqa_02.mp3 (2.61 MB, 7654 views)

Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Nice clean sound in the first sample.
Just curius if the 70 dB is the maximum gain of this new device.
This because Triton has the fathead to give especially ribbons a boost.
When you raise iup the gain to a level of approx. 85 dB it might be a good alternative for the AEA TRP.

greetz,

Paul
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Im hearing very slight difference between the two preamps,
Both sound great. thumbsup
The switcable transformer ratio is a cool idea.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flute player View Post
Nice clean sound in the first sample.
Just curius if the 70 dB is the maximum gain of this new device.
This because Triton has the fathead to give especially ribbons a boost.
When you raise iup the gain to a level of approx. 85 dB it might be a good alternative for the AEA TRP.

greetz,

Paul
The D20 Gives plenty of gain to use with a ribbon... I also made a test file with a FatHead II which worked really well. The unit I tested was not calibrated. But it's safe to say it delivered quite a bit more then 70dB... I will post the FetHead clip later...

The recording chain for this test was: '71 Martin D-28 -> Neumann TLM103 -> D2O -> Pro Tools.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzPipo View Post
The D20 Gives plenty of gain to use with a ribbon... I also made a test file with a FatHead II which worked really well. The unit I tested was not calibrated. But it's safe to say it delivered quite a bit more then 70dB... I will post the FetHead clip later...
Hi there Alkmaar, I also own two Fatheads and a few other ribbons.
So will look forward for those files.
Still it might not be enough for microphones like an R44.
Or in my case the Cloud JRS-34

greetz,

Paul
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Maniac

Has anyone else used this preamp?
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Is anyone else wondering why on their homepage you cannot find names of the guys behind it? The fethead products were a product offered by MoFli, which was also a company in the netherlands, now it is made and sold by Tritonaudio, also based in the netherlands. As far as I remember some guys here have had unfinished business with MoFli when they went out of business. Not trying to do any harm to anyone innocent, but a clarification would be nice. Are former MoFli people involved in this new company?

That aside the products look very promising and prices totally reasonable. I might buy some just out of curiosity....

Best,
Pat
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

having dealt with both companies that you're referring to Pat, i can safely say they're totally different entities with different people behind them, no reason to raise this sort of suspicion.

i have nothing but praise for Peter (Triton-Audio), i own 2 fetheads and when one arrived acting up, they replaced it with another (v2, shorter and better version they now sell) free of charge, and paid for the shipping back and forth.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Good to hear! Looks like MoFli was selling Tritones products before they went out of business leaving behind some angry guys....selling the same unique stuff and being in the same country (and pretty new...) and not having any names on the "about us" section of their website just makes it look a little "hmmmmmm..." Would be great of them to add their names.

I am really interested in the FetHead products as well as the preamps. Next time I got some money left over I know who will get some ;-)

Best,
Pat
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

the fetheads are very effective, especially to someone who relies mainly on dynamics and ribbons (i'm one of those...types), and i really wish i could justify the cute preamp and further support some fellow europeans making cool gear based on actual vintage european designs - it's a great concept. maybe one day.

in the meantime, i urge anyone interested to support these guys, in my experience they very much deserve it.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

i'll also add that there's some extremely exciting products coming in the future in the same small footprint/big sound concept from these guys. can't disclose anything (sorry) but ppl should really watch out for some really cool stuff.
Old 1st February 2010
Gear Nut

D20 Tube FET and FAT samples

Hi all,

Recently got the D20 Tube Fet for testing in the studio... this thing is absolutely fantastic it has some nice silky character in the highs and is less sharp then the FET version. For it's price it really is a bargain... They are currently working on the 500 version!

Here are two extra samples one with the Tube and one with the FET version. Recording path: Martin D28 -> TLM103 -> D20 -> ProTools... playing could be better
Attached Files

D20 Tube Fet.mp3 (3.74 MB, 7948 views)

D20 Fet.mp3 (2.01 MB, 7574 views)

Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Nut

D20 API module coming soon!

Just received a pic of the upcoming Tritonaudio D20 Tube-Fet API module... looks very nice IMO... The sound is even better! This will be my goto Pre for recording ac. gtr... great body and the highs are superb!
Attached Thumbnails
Triton Audio D2O 500-series mic pre-d2o-147n-scherp.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzPipo View Post
Just received a pic of the upcoming Tritonaudio D20 Tube-Fet API module... looks very nice IMO... The sound is even better! This will be my goto Pre for recording ac. gtr... great body and the highs are superb!
Wow, I did not know a picture of a forthcoming product tells you that much about the sound! Fascinating!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

is that just me, or is there a light glowing behind the diamond logo>>?

if so, thats a beautiful feature!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys View Post
Wow, I did not know a picture of a forthcoming product tells you that much about the sound! Fascinating!
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've tested the standalone version for the guys of Triton Audio so I know how it sounds, check the sound samples I've uploaded in this thread
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
is that just me, or is there a light glowing behind the diamond logo>>?

if so, thats a beautiful feature!
Yep they put a blue led behind the Tritonaudio logo! very classy!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Would not be the first time a new version of "the same" sounds different in the end. Anyways, price?
Rock!
Pat
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Would not be the first time a new version of "the same" sounds different in the end. Anyways, price?
Rock!
Pat
Price for the FET version: €459,- ($620,-)
Price for the Tube-FET version: €559 ($755,-)

I will have two working units halfway April... hope to make some more samples then.
Old 21st September 2010
Gear Nut

So is anybody using these yet? Any thoughts on the sound and quality after some use? I've only been able to find info in this thread and on the Zen site. I suppose I'd like to know how these compare to higher end pres that are "inspired by" the V72 as well as other popular mid-budget mic pres. I'd be curious to know how the D2O sounds next to the fully nodded GAP Pre73 too!
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Addict

Just want to bump this to see if there are any new opinions on these. Especially the tube version.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral frequency View Post
Just want to bump this to see if there are any new opinions on these. Especially the tube version.
Howdy, I'm a longtime lurker but this is my first post. Hopefully I will find more time to post when I see fit as I have found some invaluable information in these threads over the past few years. Anyway...

We have 4 vintage Siemens V72 pres in our studio and have been looking for a "modern classic" to replace them to free up some cash for more toys. We received two D2O 500 series modules last week and did a few comparisons on drums, vocals and electric guitar.

In all cases the microphone signal was multed into the D2O and the V72 so we could hear the same performance through the same microphone. The only variable was the preamp. Once all the recordings were done we did blind listening tests and discussed our thoughts.

Drums w/AEA R84 ribbon: The drummer could not hear a difference. We both liked the D2O better. We were shocked at how similar the preamps were but the D20 had a little more punch to it.

Electric Guitar w/Royer 121 ribbon: Close, but generally liked the v72 better. The v72 came across slightly less murky through the mid. The difference was small enough that mic placement would easily address the midrange.

Vocal w/Korby modded C12vr: The D2O won here too. Again, it was a subtle color difference but we agreed that the D2O module sounded better on that particular voice.

Thoughts: Our hope to find a cost friendly way to replace our vintage v72 pre's was met and exceeded. The fact that the sonic differences from all three sources was so minimal was really a shock. That the Triton module actually was preferred in some cases made it even more shocking. All in all the D2O is no better and no worse... unless you factor in cost, then Triton all the way.

When we went to fire up the second unit we noticed there was an issue with the tube. We contacted Triton and they were super friendly and they assured us that all modules are tested before they are shipped out. They are making things right with our module and it was a pleasant experience. Obviously, it is preferred that things work properly right off the bat, but after talking to them on the phone we are very comfortable that they are a company who stands behind their product.

-Jason
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

another bump!

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to resurrect for any new opinions on this piece?

I'm particularly interested in the tube/fet hybrid model. Of all the clips on this thread I liked the hybrid best. The FET only was maybe a little too analytical...?
But with the transformer and feedback switch options they both seem pretty versatile. "EarsAreFree" seemed to like it better than the original V72 on everything but elec guitar - but even there it was very close.

So, all in all, would you folks consider this a very versatile pre? - and what would you say its major strengths were? Acoustic instruments? Vocals?

And if you happen to know how it compares sonically to a DAV BG1 that would be great.

Thanks
John N
Old 8th July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to resurrect for any new opinions on this piece?

I'm particularly interested in the tube/fet hybrid model. Of all the clips on this thread I liked the hybrid best. The FET only was maybe a little too analytical...?
But with the transformer and feedback switch options they both seem pretty versatile. "EarsAreFree" seemed to like it better than the original V72 on everything but elec guitar - but even there it was very close.

So, all in all, would you folks consider this a very versatile pre? - and what would you say its major strengths were? Acoustic instruments? Vocals?

And if you happen to know how it compares sonically to a DAV BG1 that would be great.

Thanks
John N
John,

Sorry, I have been to swamped to get on recently. For an update, once we got the replacement second unit in and fired up it sounded the same as the unit we were trying to replace. After several phone calls and some scratching of the heads it seems that Triton replaced a component on the newer run of the D2O and it significantly changed the sound. It changed the sound enough that we decided it wasn't what we were looking for and send both units back. We have since purchased the Mercury M72s and have be extremely happy with is as a replacement for our vintage v72s. Since we had already sold off our vintage units we have no way of doing an accurate shootout but the consensus is that we like the Mercury pres better than the vintage units we had.

Hope that helps you out.

-Jason
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Maniac

EarsAreFree, your update is depressing, especially after reading your previous post. Why on earth did they change their first design?
Old 13th October 2011
BVB
Gear Maniac

There's a new D2O out right now.
You can switch between Fet and Tube.
Don't think it's on their site yet.

Paul
Old 14th October 2011
Jai guru deva om

The re-launched D2O will arrive here in about one week, we plan on checking it out quickly once it hits our door.

War
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Maniac

How's the sound of this pre ?
Old 8th February 2012
Hi

any news in regarding of the sound of the new batch ? Would be interested as well in adding another flavour to my 500er...

Kind regards
Tom

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search