The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
I have to run to class, so I'll just throw these up here and discuss when I get home.

The look of the gear says everything you need to know about how it can sound.

Please, if you take any pics of the studio in action and you're in them, wear a skintight orange turtleneck with the sleeves a little too short, tucked into some green slacks with a thick white leather belt and big silver buckle.

Oversized 'rapist-style' coke-bottle glasses optional.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
The look of the gear says everything you need to know about how it can sound.

Please, if you take any pics of the studio in action and you're in them, wear a skintight orange turtleneck with the sleeves a little too short, tucked into some green slacks with a thick white leather belt and big silver buckle.

Oversized 'rapist-style' coke-bottle glasses optional.

Gregory Scott - ubk
hahaha. I wish I had a 50s all-tube console so I could wear a lab coat. Those were the coolest.

I hope Guitar Center has some RCA to TT cables. 2 connections, 2 completely different eras, but man that would make things easy to interface with my current gear. If not, I'll be doing a lot of unplugging tomorrow. Yes, I know I could solder, but I'm very poor at that.

Edit:

I doubt they'll have any in stock, but it's good to know they exist. Making connections from the RCA patchbay to the TT patchbay.... mmmmmm.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

The look of love! Awesome buddy!

Hey of course you need to learn to solder those cables man. You can rely on banjo center.

Hope the machines are working well - I don't want to hear another word about sluggish etc.

Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'd use 1/4" for everything, get a patchbay for the machines and mount them in a rack that has nothing but machines and their patchbays in it with 1/4" connections.
Then you won't have to buy a TON of conversion jacks and any 1/4" cord will do in a pinch. It will save you money.
You can also get some inexpensive 1/4" patchbay units for everything else. Gotta keep that "budget" in check without losing functionality.
Get gold plated connectors for the machine to patchbay. I don't know if anyone remembers, the "Tascam 48" had balanced xlr outputs. Just sayin.
I dumped all my TT stuff, dumped all my conversion jacks and plugs and gain a ton by switching to 1/4" patchbays.
I have EVERYTHING on patchbays.

The big plus:
Being able to use one type of cord to patch the output of a decent xformer mic pre or DI that you have saturated the xformer directly to the tape machine's input, hit it hard, and monitor through the board.
That is a sound you won't forget, because you'll be doing it constantly, and might go blind from it, just like momma said you would, and you'll make faces, faces that will freeze like that.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Fun seein' the Teac/Tascam recorders ...had 'em in the 70's . . .neat stuff.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Strange things happening, This was waiting at my door when I came home, don't know who, don't know why, so I took it in, still had protective plastic lid, looks clean, heads as well, needs powerplug...
Attached Thumbnails
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer.-uher.gif  
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
Strange things happening, This was waiting at my door when I came home, don't know who, don't know why, so I took it in, still had protective plastic lid, looks clean, heads as well, needs powerplug...

WTF!

Man, you guys are making me sorta..........jealous.

I feel so left out....I'm looking for a tape machine. I've had it!
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
WTF!

I was scopin em out last night on ebay... But i am seriously broke... and i mean SERIOUSLY BROKE!!
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

I wish I had some good news, but it appears that the Series 5 is in very poor functional shape. Several mic inputs aren't working while some sound obviously 'off'. Almost every single pot is extremely scratchy. It seems that I'm not able to get any sort of consistent audio output from it except from the cue on a few of the channels. Things aren't looking good.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Wow. You got some great music going there. I hear a Grandaddy / Postal Service kinda sound but with its own twist. Very cool. I was just wondering, and you don't need to answer this if you don't want to...but your webpage states you're twenty. So...did you rob a bank to buy some of the nice stuff you have or is it just drug trade... heh

P.S. When I'm in Texas again, don't be surprised when I break into your house and start recording in your great place. You've been warned! hehhehheh
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Addict

May i just say.. this thread is like music to my ears..

Im a similar age.. a little older but not much, I too have grown up in the digital age and am taking a stand to go 100% analogue..

I've also spent the last couple of years working for major labels as a producer but am strongly coming to the conclusion that the future doesn't lie in that reality.

i'm working with a great band next week that will be api into 16trk 2inch studer! plate reverbs.. old la2a's... pultecs... This excites me so much more than taking 3 hours to edit drums / tune vocals..

I predict we'll be seeing a lot more of this from this next generation of musicians.. the initial excitement of the convenience of digital is over.. people are realising that what appears to make things much simpler actually creates far more barriers than it takes away when talking in terms of getting a quality performance.

B
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear
OK..I think I remember the OP. You were on the subsid on Island that signed Indies. I knew it sounded familiar. Stolen Transmission, Sarah's label?
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wish I had some good news, but it appears that the Series 5 is in very poor functional shape. Several mic inputs aren't working while some sound obviously 'off'. Almost every single pot is extremely scratchy. It seems that I'm not able to get any sort of consistent audio output from it except from the cue on a few of the channels. Things aren't looking good.
Hang in there, it's really old but it can be saved, you'll need to clean all the inputs, exercise all the pots, full rotation a few times, might have to break it open and look inside for a cleaning with some good stuff. Probly just dirt, gummy film etc.
You may end up replacing some parts, no biggie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue May View Post
May i just say.. this thread is like music to my ears..
I too have grown up in the digital age and am taking a stand to go 100% analogue..

I've also spent the last couple of years working for major labels as a producer but am strongly coming to the conclusion that the future doesn't lie in that reality.
the initial excitement of the convenience of digital is over.. people are realising that what appears to make things much simpler actually creates far more barriers than it takes away when talking in terms of getting a quality performance.
B
Thank GOD! That was music to my eyes.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
WTF!

Hey, I can't help it, it just was there... seems to be working everything powers up, plays and rewinds, cool feature instant echo mode, with the 4 different tape speeds, I don't have any din to jack converters, so I might molest a midi cable, cause I haven't heard the Uher yet, but on first power up everything seems to run smooth

Quote:
Ai ai, well as M.I. says if you hang in there and with some TLC you might get it going, but I honestly doubt if the Tascam mixer is the best thing to use, the sound is far from great.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, The mixer is not the greatest, but, it can be improved if it is cracked open and examined.
I think it can be greatly improved but it will cost some bucks. Could be a fun project.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Don't know about the Series 5 but I used own a Tascam M600 and it was pretty simple to maintain and service.

Scratchy pots and non working channels are such a show stopper. I used to be romantic about old gear but now days I just want everything to work so I can do what I love - record music!

Hope you can fix your mixer man... Or try another mixer for summing. Don't spend too much time trying to fix something old and ****ty. I lost 2 years of my life when I decided to buy a big console and rebuild my studio. I ended up trading my console for a Ludwig kit. It's easy to get caught up in the process of designing the studio, build absorbers, fixing cables, soldering hell etc. It sucks!

Record music -and be fast! Don't stop!
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

You could also do it right and not have any problems, A tascam M5 is NOT a big console and not a lot of money, but, you could get a Soundcraft or something like that, NOT Mackie, and have few if any problems if you do it right.
I've had a Soundcraft for 15+ years and only a powersurge took it out. Never had a problem before that.
I had insurance and they paid for all the repairs, so, It was also upgraded at at the same time, works even better now.
Get insurance, it's not that expensive, it's worth every penny.
It doesn't have to be a big pain in the rump.
My computer died recently and took the interface with it. THAT is a pain in my rump.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
well...not to dissapoint you, but this doesn't suprise me at all. its not a high quality console thats build to last. its a piece of old semi-professional equipment.
i honestly do not get your entire motivation on this. i can undertand people going all analog if they can actually afford something that sounds great. lets say a studer desk or something. but going OTB for gear like tascam seems like a bad choice to me....i would re-consider the entire approach if i'd be you.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
OK..I think I remember the OP. You were on the subsid on Island that signed Indies. I knew it sounded familiar. Stolen Transmission, Sarah's label?
Yep yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
Hang in there, it's really old but it can be saved, you'll need to clean all the inputs, exercise all the pots, full rotation a few times, might have to break it open and look inside for a cleaning with some good stuff. Probly just dirt, gummy film etc.
You may end up replacing some parts, no biggie.
I'm going to bust it open tonight to see how things look. Wish me luck.
Old 6th December 2009
Deleted 86c3d96
I keep seeing this thread in my "subscribed threads." Would you please just get rid of your computer already. I keep seeing the threat every day!
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Ok, so I've started removing channel strips and taking a look. It's surprisingly dust free, it must have been cleaned recently.

What should I bee looking for? Should I be doing anything other than just taking the channel strips out, using duster, and exercising the pots? I'm actually surprised by how simple most of the circuitry looks. Not a lot of stuff going on, and it's all pretty spread out.

I'm starting to figure out the exact problems the console is having. I'm now able to get output from most channels to the 4 busses. All 4 busses have extremely scratchy pan pots. Only one of them gets a consistent, even output. The other 3 get most of one side and just pot scratchiness and silence on the other side.

So for cleaning these pots, do I just need to get something like Deoxit, or some sort of contact cleaner, and then spray it inside the little hole on the underside of the pots?
Old 6th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
So for cleaning these pots, do I just need to get something like Deoxit, or some sort of contact cleaner, and then spray it inside the little hole on the underside of the pots?

Deoxit can help but it will wear off. Really, the best thing I've found is to simply use them, use them some more, and keep using them. Run sound thru them all the time, and exercise the pants off of them.

Spend 5 entire minutes on just one pot, moving it back and forth while sound is going thru it. Find the absolute scratchiest part of the throw, and work the hell out of it until it subsides. Find the next scratchiest part and repeat. You may get it 100%, but the next day it's crappy again. Keep at it.

If a pot is truly worn away inside there's no hope, but ime 99% of the time the problem is disuse and dust, both of which can be cured with a generous dose of loving patience over days, weeks, even months. A couple of the pan knobs and one fader on my m30 were still crackly as hell until this last mix, when they finally seem to be working like new.

Analog gear is living, it needs care and attention or it withers. But like most living things that get weak and sick, it can be healed, and the cure is usually touch and use.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Deoxit can help but it will wear off. Really, the best thing I've found is to simply use them, use them some more, and keep using them. Run sound thru them all the time, and exercise the pants off of them.

Spend 5 entire minutes on just one pot, moving it back and forth while sound is going thru it. Find the absolute scratchiest part of the throw, and work the hell out of it until it subsides. Find the next scratchiest part and repeat. You may get it 100%, but the next day it's crappy again. Keep at it.

If a pot is truly worn away inside there's no hope, but ime 99% of the time the problem is disuse and dust, both of which can be cured with a generous dose of loving patience over days, weeks, even months. A couple of the pan knobs and one fader on my m30 were still crackly as hell until this last mix, when they finally seem to be working like new.

Analog gear is living, it needs care and attention or it withers. But like most living things that get weak and sick, it can be healed, and the cure is usually touch and use.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Great. I'll start working with the knobs I need the most and see if they improve. Forgetting the scratchiness for a second, will this remedy things like pan knobs where only one side seems to be coming through? Should it bring the audio back to normal?
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

You guys are bringin it! I love it. Just choice. Like that old moody classic car, yea it doesn't ride great and is somewhat inferior for even those times.......but it's got character and nostalgia...which is more than I can can say for everything else presently going on. ****......where's the sense of tradition at anymore??

Yea, I've captured so many great takes with my old Ramsa board only to find out soon later that the floor tom or snare caught some crackle from a dirty pot of a forgotten mic pre, .... I've learned to live with it, and have chalked it off to albulm crackle. You want your stuff to sound like it's nicely recorded to cassette from vinyl anyway.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great. I'll start working with the knobs I need the most and see if they improve. Forgetting the scratchiness for a second, will this remedy things like pan knobs where only one side seems to be coming through? Should it bring the audio back to normal?

Get that deoxit and spray around all the knobs and turn them with the audio running through that channel and listen. Every knob/aspect of the channel strip can and will cause noise. I chased my problem down to an aux channel, I had various things plugged in DI and sent them out through the same aux, finally realized it wasn't any of the 6 channels that were scratchy, it was the aux.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, wiggle them knobs!, It works usually, someone just posted that they just dug their old console out and started working on it and loving it and all, but the best part was that he said working on it gives your studio or production place it's own sound, which is true, and it's what makes a place special to customers and whatnot. He said he took one of his great ITB projects out of the box and went to mix it OTB and could push that analogue gear to make it have energy that he could not approach ITB.
THAT would be enough for me, but, I've always been there, so I know what he's talking about.
I just couldn't bring myself to do anything but film stuff, dialog and such ITB.
MUSIC goes through the board and whatever outboard I deem necessary.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

I have only briefly messed with the tape machine, but so far it seems like the audio is much, much too quiet and dark when played back.

To test it, I plugged an SM58 -> Mono Gama Mic Preamp -> Tape Machine Input 1 -> Tape Machine Output 1 -> Presonus Central Station RCA (aux) Input -> Speakers

The tape machine's VU is functioning correctly. I set a proper level before recording, and with the machine's output set to "Input", I am able to hear my signal coming through loud and perfectly clear. Then, when I record it and play it back, it doesn't make the VUs jump at all (I made sure to change the machine's output to both "Sync" and "Repro", neither worked), and it's almost indiscernibly quiet/dark. I actually didn't think it was recording anything at all until I boosted the Central Station's volume. Amongst all of the noise, I heard only a small amount of my recorded vocal.

Once again, this is after spending a full 10 minutes with the machine, but is this an obvious problem? Am I doing something pathetically stupid? Or is this machine very, very out of whack?
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have only briefly messed with the tape machine, but so far it seems like the audio is much, much too quiet and dark when played back.

To test it, I plugged an SM58 -> Mono Gama Mic Preamp -> Tape Machine Input 1 -> Tape Machine Output 1 -> Presonus Central Station RCA (aux) Input -> Speakers

The tape machine's VU is functioning correctly. I set a proper level before recording, and with the machine's output set to "Input", I am able to hear my signal coming through loud and perfectly clear. Then, when I record it and play it back, it doesn't make the VUs jump at all (I made sure to change the machine's output to both "Sync" and "Repro", neither worked), and it's almost indiscernibly quiet/dark. I actually didn't think it was recording anything at all until I boosted the Central Station's volume. Amongst all of the noise, I heard only a small amount of my recorded vocal.

Once again, this is after spending a full 10 minutes with the machine, but is this an obvious problem? Am I doing something pathetically stupid? Or is this machine very, very out of whack?
Sounds like your machine needs some attention. Have you cleaned the heads? It could be something that simple. (Lets hope so). If not, you'll need to find you a good tech to check it out and bring her back to spec.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Don't you need to switch from repro or to repro... I don't remember but I don't think there is anything wrong with your machine... You just need to set it right for playback.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

I just called my friend and told him that I want to buy his Tascam 38. I got a old Yamaha RM804 that I will use together with the 38. I'm going to record to tape and dump it to Nuendo.

I upload pictures later...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search