The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 23rd November 2009
  #91
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
I see what you did there.


I hope I don't get flamed for this, but did you listen to Viva La Vida? The production and overall tone to that album was much 'warmer' than their previous efforts. I enjoyed that album. I've always liked Chris Martin's melodies, but their production never did anything for me until Vida.
Is that the one Eno did?
I haven't heard it yet, but I'm curious about it if so.
Maybe they've already implemented the idea.
If so, good for them. Coldplay and Eno makes sense, hope there's enough of Eno in it.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #92
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Is that the one Eno did?
I haven't heard it yet, but I'm curious about it if so.
Maybe they've already implemented the idea.
If so, good for them. Coldplay and Eno makes sense, hope there's enough of Eno in it.
Yep, Eno did it. It still sounds like Coldplay, but it's their most abstract album to date, by far.
Old 24th November 2009
  #93
Here for the gear
 
Akshay's Avatar
 

Insane!! I worked on a alesis Dat tape recorder, racks, makie onyx, the works during my studio days and that probably was the best rig i ever worked on!!
Yes it wasn't real high end, but did i enjoy working on it,!
The very human touch of recording live everytime, the frustration when someone missed a beat or when someone else erased all the stuff you recorded...the sheer warmth in the recording...

I wish you best luck on it..cheers and beers brother.
Old 24th November 2009
  #94
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

I like you PRP!

I want to become your friend - I want to share my world with you and you can share yours with me. We can exchange songs and talk about life.

Regards,
Your friend!
Old 24th November 2009
  #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay View Post
Insane!! I worked on a alesis Dat tape recorder, racks, makie onyx, the works during my studio days and that probably was the best rig i ever worked on!!
Yes it wasn't real high end, but did i enjoy working on it,!
The very human touch of recording live everytime, the frustration when someone missed a beat or when someone else erased all the stuff you recorded...the sheer warmth in the recording...

I wish you best luck on it..cheers and beers brother.
Hm, I don't remember too much warmth in the ADAT sound. It had the worst of analog and digital for me. The converters didn't have much going for them and then the whole nightmare of keeping them all sync'ed was equally fun. We had two extra in the studio so that we could have 3 running at any given time. Then, the studio owner bought Radio City's old Studer 2" (which had less than 900 hours on it) and the ADATs didn't get much use.

I love tape, but digital tape didn't do much for me. The only real advantage was the ability to do some interesting editing because of the accuracy of the offsets, but 90% could be done with a blade anyway.

Edwin
Old 24th November 2009
  #96
Hate to be the contrarian (or do I-- gotta check that out--) but I thought the original blackface ADATs were God's gift to life on Earth: silence was utterly silent, the amazing editing you could do with two machines and a BRC, just all in all worked wonderfully-- but I do understand there's a whole school of thought that didn't like 'em.
Old 24th November 2009
  #97
Gear Addict
viva l'adat !
Old 24th November 2009
  #98
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay View Post
Insane!! I worked on a alesis Dat tape recorder, racks, makie onyx, the works during my studio days and that probably was the best rig i ever worked on!!
Yes it wasn't real high end, but did i enjoy working on it,!
The very human touch of recording live everytime, the frustration when someone missed a beat or when someone else erased all the stuff you recorded...the sheer warmth in the recording...

I wish you best luck on it..cheers and beers brother.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
I like you PRP!

I want to become your friend - I want to share my world with you and you can share yours with me. We can exchange songs and talk about life.

Regards,
Your friend!
Haha, I like you too, I think.
Old 24th November 2009
  #99
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

Thanks!

/Your Internet Buddy!
Old 24th November 2009
  #100
Gear Nut
 

I've recently made the same jump and picked up a fostex g-16 (that i'm now realizing needs to be recapped) and a soundcraft 400b. I honestly don't know if sonically my recordings are better or worse, but I will say that the process of recording has become much more... musical?

I'm no longer caught up in the bull**** of cutting / pasting / shifting / sound replacing / surgically eq'ing / etc... and because of that the songs that I am working on, and performances of those songs, will be stronger. Sometimes limitation is a good thing. I'm inherently a slacker, so given "the easy way" to do something - chances are, I will. Best to just not have the option.

Sorry about the major label ****storm (same thing happened to a friend of mine, and now he doesn't even own some of his favorite songs...) and good luck with the tape machine.

Viva la retrolution.
Old 24th November 2009
  #101
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkretz View Post
I've recently made the same jump and picked up a fostex g-16 (that i'm now realizing needs to be recapped) and a soundcraft 400b. I honestly don't know if sonically my recordings are better or worse, but I will say that the process of recording has become much more... musical?

I'm no longer caught up in the bull**** of cutting / pasting / shifting / sound replacing / surgically eq'ing / etc... and because of that the songs that I am working on, and performances of those songs, will be stronger. Sometimes limitation is a good thing. I'm inherently a slacker, so given "the easy way" to do something - chances are, I will. Best to just not have the option.

Sorry about the major label ****storm (same thing happened to a friend of mine, and now he doesn't even own some of his favorite songs...) and good luck with the tape machine.

Viva la retrolution.
I am the same way. I often find myself copying and pasting choruses or other parts that repeat in a song, even though I hate that crap. But the fact that I can has led me to think "Ehhhh, if I get this done an hour earlier, I can go watch the new episode of Dexter." and crap like that. I have a hard time fighting my laziness. So now, I hopefully will be forced to not be a lazy asshole. Haha.
Old 25th November 2009
  #102
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

Yeah laziness is dangerous for good music. I dig those old rock records where they play sloppy with twang and swing.

This is great; http://therisingstorm.net/audio/for-...le-while-1.mp3
Old 27th November 2009
  #103
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

I'm shocked that no one comment on the link I provided here... That song is fakking amazing. You are all lazy...
Old 27th November 2009
  #104
I am doing something similar, purchased a Revox C-278 NAB. If it is able to be biased for GP9 (at +6 instead of +9), I'll be doing that unless someone would just recommend sticking to 456. For remote recordings and some studio stuff, I'll be experimenting a bit, rolling my Nagra VI simultaneously for digital backup tracks, and finding out for myself which medium I like better. If I like what I hear, I'll go whole hog and then get a 2 track deck to mix down to. I simply would not be able to use a 1" or larger unit, as it would preclude the transportability that I need for remote work, so crossing my fingers that the performance of the C-278 meets my minimum standard.
Old 27th November 2009
  #105
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Yeah laziness is dangerous for good music. I dig those old rock records where they play sloppy with twang and swing.

This is great; http://therisingstorm.net/audio/for-...le-while-1.mp3
That is a great sounding recording, and the song is fantastic. Love everything about it , especially how the vocals sit in the mix. Great example of how music DOESN'T sound using computers. It's ..........
kinda perfect in a real music sorta way.
Old 27th November 2009
  #106
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Yeah...that's some real organic music right there.

With a bit more compression it might even be good.

Seriously, though....since I jumped right from a Tascam cassette four track to PT, I missed the pleasure of that tape experience and I won't be looking back at this point.

Good luck PRP, and have fun. When I was 20 years old I had a TEAC deck in the middle of a room full of long-haired pickers. Don't forget where the power switch is for
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
Old 27th November 2009
  #107
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Yeah laziness is dangerous for good music. I dig those old rock records where they play sloppy with twang and swing.

This is great; http://therisingstorm.net/audio/for-...le-while-1.mp3
Sounds awesome! I hope I can get sounds half as good as this.
Old 27th November 2009
  #108
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

Cool guys! I love this song. Glad you liked it! There is hope
Old 28th November 2009
  #109
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

I'm upset that the gear wasn't able to arrive this week due to the holiday. Screw you, Thanksgiving! Actually, the Cowboys and Longhorns won, and the Giants lost. That was a great Thanksgiving for me.
Old 28th November 2009
  #110
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

I have to remove mineral wool from the ceiling today and it sucks because I get the wool inside my eyes and lungs.

Take a picture when you have your new gear in da studi-o!
Old 28th November 2009
  #111
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
I have to remove mineral wool from the ceiling today and it sucks because I get the wool inside my eyes and lungs.

Take a picture when you have your new gear in da studi-o!
Itchy Myagi heh
Old 28th November 2009
  #112
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
I have to remove mineral wool from the ceiling today and it sucks because I get the wool inside my eyes and lungs.

Take a picture when you have your new gear in da studi-o!
My new puppy took a diarrhetic **** (luckily, on the tile) then proceeded to step in it and run around (unluckily, onto the rug). If she wasn't so darned cute I'd probably have stuck her nose in it, but I opted for the stern "GO OUSTIDE." instead. Needless to say, she hasn't step foot in the tracking or control rooms. I'll wait until she's trained before I let that happen.
Old 28th November 2009
  #113
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

It looks like I might be able to pick up the expander for the Model 5. Not sure if I need it, but I'm worried that I'll want it somewhere down the road and that I won't be able to find one later.

How does it function, exactly? I can't find the manual anywhere. Is it just line ins? It appears to have 12 faders... are those all channels or are 4 of them busses?

This is the only picture I could find:

Old 28th November 2009
  #114
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
It looks like I might be able to pick up the expander for the Model 5. Not sure if I need it, but I'm worried that I'll want it somewhere down the road and that I won't be able to find one later.

How does it function, exactly? I can't find the manual anywhere. Is it just line ins? It appears to have 12 faders... are those all channels or are 4 of them busses?

This is the only picture I could find:

It works like most expanders for consoles. Each channel on the expander has exactly the same thing as a channel of the Model 5 (line/mic in, eq, auxs, buss assigns, etc.). If you get it you can run the 5/5ex as a 'split' console with mic (and lines as needed) coming in on the 5ex and tape returns coming in on the Model 5. Much faster way to work.

P.S. I've not forgotten your PBs and cables. Just havn't gotten to them yet!
Old 28th November 2009
  #115
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
It works like most expanders for consoles. Each channel on the expander has exactly the same thing as a channel of the Model 5 (line/mic in, eq, auxs, buss assigns, etc.). If you get it you can run the 5/5ex as a 'split' console with mic (and lines as needed) coming in on the 5ex and tape returns coming in on the Model 5. Much faster way to work.

P.S. I've not forgotten your PBs and cables. Just havn't gotten to them yet!
Great, thanks for that info. I wasn't sure if it would have any mic pres. How do the two units connect?

And don't sweat it!
Old 28th November 2009
  #116
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
My new puppy took a diarrhetic **** (luckily, on the tile) then proceeded to step in it and run around (unluckily, onto the rug). If she wasn't so darned cute I'd probably have stuck her nose in it, but I opted for the stern "GO OUSTIDE." instead. Needless to say, she hasn't step foot in the tracking or control rooms. I'll wait until she's trained before I let that happen.

You win brother!

I've recorded a tribute song to honor you and the dog! Hope he feel better soon. Love the picture of the expander. Looks like art! The flash effect on the upper left side is 'too cool for school, really!'

Regards,
You Internet Pal!

Here's the song; All analog of course...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3145137/pool_party.mp3
Old 28th November 2009
  #117
Lives for gear
 
Dysanfel's Avatar
I, for one, will never miss the days of crappy sounding home recordings done on crappy sounding cheap tape machines. YMMV....
Old 28th November 2009
  #118
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

I spoke too soon. My two DBX 163x's arrived today.




No rack ears
Old 28th November 2009
  #119
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
You win brother!

I've recorded a tribute song to honor you and the dog! Hope he feel better soon. Love the picture of the expander. Looks like art! The flash effect on the upper left side is 'too cool for school, really!'

Regards,
You Internet Pal!

Here's the song; All analog of course...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3145137/pool_party.mp3
Haha the song rules. What is it?
Old 28th November 2009
  #120
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

I also want those 163's - awesome on e-guitar... I need two to feel complete.

Hey, that song is me. I call myself Country Pollution (myspace.com/countrypollution).

Thx!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jay Kahrs / So much gear, so little time
9
Spookym15 / The Good News Channel
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump