The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

I couldn't imagine such a reactionary move. The DAW is such a powerful tool for making music. We need to explore its boundless possibilities, not "return to nature" so to speak. However... good luck with your project
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

all the best buddy

may the unrecall-time be with you
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
I couldn't imagine such a reactionary move. t
Same way I felt about switching to a PC /MAc ~~ exploring the possibilities with the latest DAW > never left time for writing/performing for the clients budget --Much more emphasis on pre ~pep work than post ;;; seemingly with analog But, I may be bias ^^ having started in the 60's
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
Ok, so I'm exaggerating slightly, I'll still own a computer, but I'm pursuing my dream of having a completely computer-less recording set up in 1 room of my house.

At the center of the rig will be a TASCAM 38 8 tape machine and a TASCAM Series 5 mixer. I need help deciding on what other gear to get. This project studio isn't supposed to sound good, just old. What are some cheap old mic pres and compressors that were common around the time of these two units? The mixer has built in mic pres, so I could use those, the main thing I need is some compression. Not expensive, just old and crappy. Any suggestions? Is the Standard Audio Level-Or an accurate tribute piece? Lo-fi is good. The most expensive piece I'll probably add to this setup is an 1176, since I've been intending to get one for my main rig anyway.

At the end of the day, I'm hoping to have a fully functional, completely independent vintage, analog setup for under 1k, although I'll probably go over just to add some other fun stuff.
I like your ideas. However, I'd rethink the Series 5 mixer. I spent a couple years working on one of those and was always frustrated by how much it smeared the sound, how lame the eqs were and how much noise it added. I would much rather use a more recent Mackie mixer (and I'm not a huge fan of those), or a Soundcraft or any number of other more modern cheap mixers.

Just my 02c.
Edwin
Old 22nd November 2009
I really don't understand certain people when they say that the gear will be collecting dust in 6 months.

I have to say, the switch is pretty ballsy, but even if in 6 months you go "hey, i miss that digital (something?)" you can still track to your badass tape machine and send it into your DAW to chop, clean, edit, reform, etc... This gear is a foundation for the rest of your career. Plus it's nice to say "I started using that when I was 20" and have other people go "When you were 20? you didn't use Garageband/Audacity/Something equally ****ty?"

I'm 19 and in the process of getting my 002 BLA modded to sound better, and all the bands and 19 year olds I know don't know the difference. It's fun to have an interest in this at our age. I'd love to go all analog, but having my foot in the digital door is enough for me right now, I'm more looking forward to an 1176/MC77 (probably the latter) and a Distessor, and an LA-610.

Digital or analog doesn't matter. It's all in how you use it. One piece is a tool for another to be better.
Old 22nd November 2009
Sky
Lives for gear

Hi Dan, I dig your adventurous spirit and also your current songs up on MySpace. Best of luck with your Analog Rebellion project!

Sky
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd like to congratulate Dan on his early successes, and his "adventurous spirit". Perhaps he will be able to influence other younger people to look into the older ways of doing things. At the very least it will help others to glean a deeper understanding of the evolution of the recording process which, I would expect, would result in better recordings regardless of format used. Maybe that will lead to a resurgence of a more analog-leaning industry. Ultimately, of course, we know analog will never supplant digital, But it would be a good thing, I think, if there were an increase in hybrid setups. This would certainly need to be balanced between the "art" of the process as opposed to the "business" of the process. JMO. Good Luck, Dan. Have fun and keep us posted.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I couldn't imagine such a reactionary move. The DAW is such a powerful tool for making music. We need to explore its boundless possibilities, not "return to nature" so to speak. However... good luck with your project
That's just it, when you take away the boundless possibilities, you are left with something simpler and more specific. The craft becomes more about the music and less about exploring a tool to create it.

When you don't have a screen to look at and a mouse to move to correct something, your spirit for the performance becomes real, you either nail the take........or cut tape. Watching a tightrope walker 80' in the air is WAAYYY more exciting without the net, you can hear that in audio.

I don't know ANYONE that uses a computer that doesn't feel safety from the net.
Old 22nd November 2009
I know one thing for sure-- when the computer screen goes dark from taking too long since your last keystroke, and the music keeps playing, it sounds WAY different-- obviously it doesn't "sound" different in the slightest, but my "appreciation" or "management of it" or whatever you want to call it enters a totally different sphere.

Instead of it responding to my every command, faithfully implementing my influence, it's "on its own" and untethered from my will. Suddenly I'm not hearing what I'm expecting, given the waveforms and compressor readouts-- it's just music, then.
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
Ok, so I'm exaggerating slightly, I'll still own a computer, but I'm pursuing my dream of having a completely computer-less recording set up in 1 room of my house.

I'm a 20 year old, digital-age musician/producer, and never in my life have I made music without a little or a lot of help from the digital realm. As an experiment and experience to grow and have a little bit of fun, I'm building a budget, 100% analog recording rig. There won't be a computer in the room whatsoever. (Although, down the hall, I'll still have this little setup. However, I intend on making many recordings on this old school setup completely without the computer involved.)

At the center of the rig will be a TASCAM 38 8 tape machine and a TASCAM Series 5 mixer. I need help deciding on what other gear to get. This project studio isn't supposed to sound good, just old. What are some cheap old mic pres and compressors that were common around the time of these two units? The mixer has built in mic pres, so I could use those, the main thing I need is some compression. Not expensive, just old and crappy. Any suggestions? Is the Standard Audio Level-Or an accurate tribute piece? Lo-fi is good. The most expensive piece I'll probably add to this setup is an 1176, since I've been intending to get one for my main rig anyway.

At the end of the day, I'm hoping to have a fully functional, completely independent vintage, analog setup for under 1k, although I'll probably go over just to add some other fun stuff.
That's more or less w here I was coming from when I went all digital in '93. Me, I have not looked back in anything more than vague nostalgia. But everyone's mileage varies. I was looking to escape lo fi blues. You're looking to embrace lo fi -- and you've gone to the right place.

Good luck and have fun.

PS... one tip, I suspect your model 38 has some form of noise reduction (I know some of them had Dolby C, I think, but I have some vague recollection of mention of dbx in later machines; at any rate, the kind of tape saturation you're looking for will be greatly complicated/subverted/muffed by noise reduction. I can't recall if Model 38s allow you to turn it off on individual channels, but that's how I used to deal with the desire to grab a little saturation on some tracks like drums, but still keep the overall noise level down by using NR on vocals, keyboards, electric guitars, and anything that didn't 'need' additional saturation coloring.
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
For some reason, and this has just started recently since alot of the ITB vs. OTB debates have gotten really going, but everytime I think of Digital I think of a Coldplay or Creed song, andwhen I think analog I always hear Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland in my head, the song "and the gods made love." That wonderful syrupy backwards guitar, lots of iron in that sound, and it sounds so close up, personal.
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that digital recordings didn't exist at all before the end of the 70s and the recording technology was not in widespread use until the last 15 years or so.

Sure, a lot of us prefer Hendrix (or almost anything else) to Coldplay and Creed, but that has nothing to do with the sonics of the music, for most folks, I don't expect, but for the music itself. Not everyone likes thoroughly calculated by-the-numbers pop product.

It's hard for me to imagine hearing something like Coldplay or Creed and blaming my negative aesthetic reaction on sonics -- when the music is, to me, so thoroughly uninvolving, even alienating. (Strictly IMHO, of course, it's all aesthetically relative and no slag on those who like that sort of thing.)

I usually don't have much trouble telling crap music from crap sound.
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
For some reason, and this has just started recently since alot of the ITB vs. OTB debates have gotten really going, but everytime I think of Digital I think of a Coldplay or Creed song, andwhen I think analog I always hear Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland in my head, the song "and the gods made love." That wonderful syrupy backwards guitar, lots of iron in that sound, and it sounds so close up, personal.
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that digital recordings didn't exist at all before the end of the 70s and the recording technology was not in widespread use until the last 15 years or so. If you're not a kid -- or maybe even if you are -- a lot of your favorite music was tracked to tape.

Sure, a lot of us prefer Hendrix (or almost anything else) to Coldplay and Creed, but that has nothing to do with the sonics of the music, for most folks, I don't expect, but for the music itself. Not everyone likes thorougly calculated by-the-numbers pop product.

It's hard for me to imagine hearing something like Coldplay or Creed and blaming my negative aesthetic reaction on sonics -- when the music is, to me, so thoroughly uninvolving, even alienating. (Strictly IMHO, of course, it's all aesthetically relative and no slag on those who like that sort of thing.)

Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that digital recordings didn't exist at all before the end of the 70s and the recording technology was not in widespread use until the last 15 years or so. If you're not a kid -- or maybe even if you are -- a lot of your favorite music was tracked to tape.

Sure, a lot of us prefer Hendrix (or almost anything else) to Coldplay and Creed, but that has nothing to do with the sonics of the music, for most folks, I don't expect, but for the music itself. Not everyone likes thorougly calculated by-the-numbers pop product.

No, It has everything to do with the sonics of the music, or there lack of.

I'm not taking shots at anybody here, only comparing the differences in the sound of the recordings, which was the point of my post.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Some good conversation going on in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt View Post
Being a bit picky Dan; if you get the 38 or similar level machine it won't be balanced connections as they are -10level rca connect devices. Typically you would come out of channel direct outs or group outs on the desk.
As i said before, I would be inclined to utilise a very good pre with maybe the 1176 you mentioned directly into the tape machine (bypassing the front end of the mixer).
Cheers, Ross
Thanks for the advice. I have some solid, vintage flavored mic pres already that I use in my digital setup, so I'll try those out.

Is it possible to do the setup I mentioned, utilizing the mixer's mic pres? Or would that level discrepancy mess things up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
I suspect it's gonna be a short journey which ends in you returning here to tell us you have "Discovered how great digital sounds when compared to(the worst) analog(ever)".

Which will bring the obligatory new round of posting chaos and futile debate between members with agendas based on the truly pitiable concept that any of this internot idiocy actually MEANS ANYTHING(or is going to somehow impact reality), and a whole lotta folks who just plainly don't know their ass from their elbow.
I'm not expecting to think "Wow, this cheap old gear sounds so much better than my expensive, modern setup!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
I have some "party favors" I could sell or trade you. Rare owners Manual, Schematics Chart, and original sales brochure. They are in good condition considering this stuff is all older than 50% of GS readers! PM me if interested.

Awesome! I'll PM you.

Quote:
Oh yea, I'll be around. Good luck, you are going to have a blast! BTW, you got a link to that albulm you did. I'd like to hear it.

cheers, Steely
The album is called Texas (artist PlayRadioPlay!), and it was on Island Records. I don't know where the best place to listen to it would be, but I normally tell people to go pirate it as a small '**** you' to Island Records. A lot of it is up on my MySpace profile music player, but I'd seriously rather listen to white noise than stream anything off of MySpace.

Quote:
I appreciate everything the DAW to offer, but sometimes I feel music is crippled by its perfection. Sure, I could limit myself to 8 tracks in Logic/PT and not allow myself to time edit anything or use any plugins, but I imagine it's a different feeling to sit down in front of a tape machine and actually not be able to utilize any of the luxuries that have spoiled me.

When I was 15 years old, I did a wilderness program where I lived outside in the piney, swampy forest of east Texas for 30 days without using technology and very few modern tools. We weren't allowed to talk on the phone, and only communicated by hand written letters. We built fire with flint and steel, we built our own shelter, we built our own shower, and everything we ate was cooked over our hand built fire. Sure, it would have been easier to have a Coleman gas powered grill around, or matches, and it would have been nice to retreat to a tent for the night with a laptop to watch a movie on, but that would have missed the point of the program. I was about as detached as a few 15 year olds could voluntarily be from all of the common things that we took for granted. Even things as simple as matches and tents.

There are very few experiences in my life that affected who I am as much as those 30 days I spent out in the woods. I was a much stronger, more patient, more well-rounded kid after that program, and I still appreciate that I was able to take part in it to this day. Perhaps I won't encounter such a drastic, life-changing experience in this old analog gear, but at the very least, I'll learn something, have some fun, and appreciate a lost art form.

Another thing to remember is that I mostly record my own music (with the exception of a few close friends that I record for free/for fun). A lot of you on here are engineers that make a living recording other people's music, so you must have a diverse, read-for-anything recording setup. You're not able to make 'artistic' gear decisions on your entire recording rig, because you must have something practical and capable of meeting the industry standards.

I record my own music. So, whereas another artist that doesn't record them self would go to one of the assistants that worked on a White Stripes record and say "Hey, you can get those awesome sounds for me, right?", I take it upon myself to pursue the sounds I want as an artist.

So, that's one detail to remember. My studio is in my house, and pretty much nobody uses it except me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
I like your ideas. However, I'd rethink the Series 5 mixer. I spent a couple years working on one of those and was always frustrated by how much it smeared the sound, how lame the eqs were and how much noise it added. I would much rather use a more recent Mackie mixer (and I'm not a huge fan of those), or a Soundcraft or any number of other more modern cheap mixers.

Just my 02c.
Edwin
I actually have a little 12 channel Mackie mixer that I use for my practice PA system. So if I'm completely distraught by the sound of the Series 5, which is certainly possible however unlikely, I have other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
I really don't understand certain people when they say that the gear will be collecting dust in 6 months.

I have to say, the switch is pretty ballsy, but even if in 6 months you go "hey, i miss that digital (something?)" you can still track to your badass tape machine and send it into your DAW to chop, clean, edit, reform, etc... This gear is a foundation for the rest of your career. Plus it's nice to say "I started using that when I was 20" and have other people go "When you were 20? you didn't use Garageband/Audacity/Something equally ****ty?"

I'm 19 and in the process of getting my 002 BLA modded to sound better, and all the bands and 19 year olds I know don't know the difference. It's fun to have an interest in this at our age. I'd love to go all analog, but having my foot in the digital door is enough for me right now, I'm more looking forward to an 1176/MC77 (probably the latter) and a Distessor, and an LA-610.

Digital or analog doesn't matter. It's all in how you use it. One piece is a tool for another to be better.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Hi Dan, I dig your adventurous spirit and also your current songs up on MySpace. Best of luck with your Analog Rebellion project!

Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritworks View Post
I'd like to congratulate Dan on his early successes, and his "adventurous spirit". Perhaps he will be able to influence other younger people to look into the older ways of doing things. At the very least it will help others to glean a deeper understanding of the evolution of the recording process which, I would expect, would result in better recordings regardless of format used. Maybe that will lead to a resurgence of a more analog-leaning industry. Ultimately, of course, we know analog will never supplant digital, But it would be a good thing, I think, if there were an increase in hybrid setups. This would certainly need to be balanced between the "art" of the process as opposed to the "business" of the process. JMO. Good Luck, Dan. Have fun and keep us posted.
Thanks to both of you! I'll update this thread as the project develops. Gear should start arriving this week.

Quote:
That's just it, when you take away the boundless possibilities, you are left with something simpler and more specific. The craft becomes more about the music and less about exploring a tool to create it.

When you don't have a screen to look at and a mouse to move to correct something, your spirit for the performance becomes real, you either nail the take........or cut tape. Watching a tightrope walker 80' in the air is WAAYYY more exciting without the net, you can hear that in audio.

I don't know ANYONE that uses a computer that doesn't feel safety from the net.
Exactly. Whether I'm going to enjoy that feeling is up in the air, but I imagine it'll be good for me as an artist and musician, even if I end up hating it.

Quote:
That's more or less w here I was coming from when I went all digital in '93. Me, I have not looked back in anything more than vague nostalgia. But everyone's mileage varies. I was looking to escape lo fi blues. You're looking to embrace lo fi -- and you've gone to the right place.

Good luck and have fun.

PS... one tip, I suspect your model 38 has some form of noise reduction (I know some of them had Dolby C, I think, but I have some vague recollection of mention of dbx in later machines; at any rate, the kind of tape saturation you're looking for will be greatly complicated/subverted/muffed by noise reduction. I can't recall if Model 38s allow you to turn it off on individual channels, but that's how I used to deal with the desire to grab a little saturation on some tracks like drums, but still keep the overall noise level down by using NR on vocals, keyboards, electric guitars, and anything that didn't 'need' additional saturation coloring.
Interesting. I'll look into that.

Edit: Someone in this thread is running a 38 8 without the noise reduction, so I'll ask him how he got rid of it...
Old 22nd November 2009
My memory of the 38 is hazy at best (someone ask me about 2340 and 3340's; don't ask me about my old 70-8 -- the memories are still too bitter; that was the never-fully-working (used) machine that made me go out and buy my first ADAT deck).

Anyhow, reaching back to using 38s in a few studios (I told you guys I worked low end studios in the 80s), I think (faintly recollect might be better) that there was a single front panel NR on/off.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
My memory of the 38 is hazy at best (someone ask me about 2340 and 3340's; don't ask me about my old 70-8 -- the memories are still too bitter; that was the never-fully-working (used) machine that made me go out and buy my first ADAT deck.

Anyhow, reaching back to using 38s in a few studios (I told you guys I worked low end studios in the 80s), I think (faintly recollect might be better) that there was a single front panel NR on/off.
Great great, hopefully it's that easy.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

I think if I was a wee bit younger and was mainly producing music for just myself ...I might venture to installing a PC in the studio. But , its the clientele that drives our gear ....If they are not requesting " this plugiin or that program" Pt or Reaper ---then we stay on the back edge of technology. Pass the savings on to the clients budget
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
Great great, hopefully it's that easy.
The important thing is meet the technology on its own terms -- and it sounds like that's what you have in mind -- and have fun!

Old 22nd November 2009

I don't really get it personally. I'm 45 and have been recording since high school, I don't really care either way, computer recording is cool to me. We've figured out how to get it to sound awesome. For me, I ain't lookin' back.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

i worked with some people two years ago that had used the tascam 38 before
transfering to pro tools and all of those tracks sounded great

i had a tascam 38 for a few months and then got an otari mtr-12 and a studer
A827 in the following year. if you fall in love with analog, nothing can bring you
back.

have fun
be well

- jack
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Dan -

Good luck with your project. I started with an 80-8 and a Model 5 in the late 70s. I also had a Model 5ex. The expander gave you another 12 channels of input modules. I remember using the expander as inputs and monitoring off the tape on the 8 on the Model 5. I've not noticed one for sale and doubt they sold very many so might be hard to find. But should be cheap and functional if you find one.

I also had and have in storage somewhere a couple of RCA patchbays; pretty much useless to anyone except someone looking to use a Model 5. Could be quite useful in your situation. I brought the tape machine etc. to the back of the bays. They are only about three inches high and fit nicely on top of the meter bridge of the 5/5ex.

If I remember correctly I simply disconnected those bays from the mixer when I sold it with all RCAs still attached. I think a kept a zillion of the RCA patch cords as well since they are too are useless to most people. You will need them, as the RCA jacks are problematic over time (10 minutes).

You are welcome to all of it if you want to pay shipping/packing; just throw me a P.M.

It doesn't sound like you expect miracles out of 1/2 8 track (this is good). But it might be a great way to get your head around analog flow, etc.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

sounds like a cool project. If your looking for classic sounds, why dont you try some classic pres like api 512 or neves.... something that was in the boards of the day..... from what i hear, api 512's where designed to hit tape.... HAve fun!

ps - i cheked out your tunes a while back, and i like em.... hope the analog thing brings something new to the table for ya. I personally like to pretend my digital setup is analog..... at least in terms of going for the right take as opposed to editing.... But, thats casue i cant afford a nice tape machine... cant wait to hear some stuff you record with your new setup....
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
No, It has everything to do with the sonics of the music, or there lack of.

I'm not taking shots at anybody here, only comparing the differences in the sound of the recordings, which was the point of my post.
Fair enough.

For me (and, as I noted, I suspect for a lot of folks) the problem with outfits like Coldplay and Creed is the calculation and formulaic approach in the music.
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post
i worked with some people two years ago that had used the tascam 38 before
transfering to pro tools and all of those tracks sounded great

i had a tascam 38 for a few months and then got an otari mtr-12 and a studer
A827 in the following year.
if you fall in love with analog, nothing can bring you
back.

have fun
be well

- jack
I thought I was in love with tape recorders back in the day. And I distrusted digital recording greatly in the early days. (It didn't help that the first CD players I heard sounded like crap on everything they played. It wasn't until 1984 that I bought my first CD player -- which felt a little odd for someone then actively in the biz. But as the quality of vinyl in that era continued to deteriorate -- the last straw for me was an Eno ambient record on his own EG label that just sounded like crap, with lots of surface noise right out of the jacket.) But in retrospect, it was recording I loved. The day I got my first 8 channel DAW rolling in 1997 was at least as big a deal to me as when I brought home my first four track, a knife-switch 2340 that I still remember with great fondness.

Anyhow, big props to the guys and gals keeping the big iron alive. I applaud your retro-pioneering spirit. Sometimes it takes as much guts and determination to explore the past as it does to probe the future. heh
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I don't really get it personally. I'm 45 and have been recording since high school, I don't really care either way, computer recording is cool to me. We've figured out how to get it to sound awesome. For me, I ain't lookin' back.
++11
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Past and future unite in the present as that is where the action determines the past & the future.

Can't believe tape is already looked upon like something that pre historic.
but old & new has no real meaning to me, it's just there to enjoy or not, I'm still playing new music to me coming from the year 1958 so....
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Dan -

Good luck with your project. I started with an 80-8 and a Model 5 in the late 70s. I also had a Model 5ex. The expander gave you another 12 channels of input modules. I remember using the expander as inputs and monitoring off the tape on the 8 on the Model 5. I've not noticed one for sale and doubt they sold very many so might be hard to find. But should be cheap and functional if you find one.

I also had and have in storage somewhere a couple of RCA patchbays; pretty much useless to anyone except someone looking to use a Model 5. Could be quite useful in your situation. I brought the tape machine etc. to the back of the bays. They are only about three inches high and fit nicely on top of the meter bridge of the 5/5ex.

If I remember correctly I simply disconnected those bays from the mixer when I sold it with all RCAs still attached. I think a kept a zillion of the RCA patch cords as well since they are too are useless to most people. You will need them, as the RCA jacks are problematic over time (10 minutes).

You are welcome to all of it if you want to pay shipping/packing; just throw me a P.M.

It doesn't sound like you expect miracles out of 1/2 8 track (this is good). But it might be a great way to get your head around analog flow, etc.
Thanks so much! PMed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
sounds like a cool project. If your looking for classic sounds, why dont you try some classic pres like api 512 or neves.... something that was in the boards of the day..... from what i hear, api 512's where designed to hit tape.... HAve fun!

ps - i cheked out your tunes a while back, and i like em.... hope the analog thing brings something new to the table for ya. I personally like to pretend my digital setup is analog..... at least in terms of going for the right take as opposed to editing.... But, thats casue i cant afford a nice tape machine... cant wait to hear some stuff you record with your new setup....
Thank you very much. I have an Avedis MA5, Shadow Hills Mono Gama, and Chandler Germanium, so I definitely have some of that old transformer flavor, but I'm definitely planning on picking up more. BAE pres have been calling my name for quite some time.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

What a bold statement to go back to analogue tape. Good luck with it! Can't wait to hear your new analogue songs of love and honey! Amen
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
For me (and, as I noted, I suspect for a lot of folks) the problem with outfits like Coldplay and Creed is the calculation and formulaic approach in the music.
I couldn't agree more. It's really unfortunate because personally, I think Coldplay is a good band but for reasons you mentioned above, cause my nervous system to flair.......aka the bull**** meter. Those recordings.

What's frustrating is that these bands who are guaranteed to sell at least 2 million records upon every new release won't try different approaches to their recording methods, like our thread starter who is going to get sonically interesting results, regardless if it sounds good or bad, it's going to be different than that timed microwave setting people are going for...."ah, defrost potpie 5 minutes........start beeep."

It's always about the music, but part of music is knowing how it should be presented, not everything is supposed to sound modern because that's "where we are". If I could afford to build a home that looked 1800's, with cobblestone walls and a wonderful large oval wooden door.....I would. Regardless if technology provided the latest in whatever, technology is still only one option, and not always the best of taste. (80's drums??)

I tell you this though, if Coldplay's records sounded like they were done in the 60's or 70's.....even the 80's they would have more appeal to their sound. They're really too good of a band to not consider this stuff, and their lack of vision for a sonically interesting sound keeps them chained to that cookie cutter theme when they could be dropping jaws with a honeydoo candle drop, we recorded this in a room to tape with a 15' wide fireplace in a caste that only hero's of ancient times have rejoiced (like jimi's sound) instead of a dentist office.

But what do I know? I have a office day job.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
What a bold statement to go back to analogue tape. Good luck with it! Can't wait to hear your new analogue songs of love and honey! Amen
I see what you did there.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. It's really unfortunate because personally, I think Coldplay is a good band but for reasons you mentioned above, cause my nervous system to flair.......aka the bull**** meter. Those recordings.

What's frustrating is that these bands who are guaranteed to sell at least 2 million records upon every new release won't try different approaches to their recording methods, like our thread starter who is going to get sonically interesting results, regardless if it sounds good or bad, it's going to be different than that timed microwave setting people are going for...."ah, defrost potpie 5 minutes........start beeep."

It's always about the music, but part of music is knowing how it should be presented, not everything is supposed to sound modern because that's "where we are". If I could afford to build a home that looked 1800's, with cobblestone walls and a wonderful large oval wooden door.....I would. Regardless if technology provided the latest in whatever, technology is still only one option, and not always the best of taste. (80's drums??)

I tell you this though, if Coldplay's records sounded like they were done in the 60's or 70's.....even the 80's they would have more appeal to their sound. They're really too good of a band to not consider this stuff, and their lack of vision for a sonically interesting sound keeps them chained to that cookie cutter theme when they could be dropping jaws with a honeydoo candle drop, we recorded this in a room to tape with a 15' wide fireplace in a caste that only hero's of ancient times have rejoiced (like jimi's sound) instead of a dentist office.

But what do I know? I have a office day job.
I hope I don't get flamed for this, but did you listen to Viva La Vida? The production and overall tone to that album was much 'warmer' than their previous efforts. I enjoyed that album. I've always liked Chris Martin's melodies, but their production never did anything for me until Vida.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search