The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 27th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I just think the guy is wanting his recordings to have more in common with older souding recordings, is that so strange? Your post seems to suggest that he wants his music to sound crappy, and I believe most folks have understood him to be shooting for a vinatge sound , not a crappy sound.

It doesn't take a professional's ear or aesthetic to understand the difference between a Dave Mathews recording compared to a 60's
sound, and someone young admiring that 60's sound doesn't make them naive or foolish, just seems that he has a preference for HIS material.....an understandable one.
I think what provides the bemusement is the notion that a lot of people seem to conflate the musical creativity and skill that goes into the making of great music (that may have happened to have been recorded in compromised circumstances) with those compromised circumstances themselves.

A lot of times I hear folks say their digital recordings are too clean...

But what I think is going on is that the digital recordings are just so clean that they expose that there's really not that much interesting or involving going on in the music.

Just as great music has survived some incredibly crappy recordings -- it also can survive good recording, as well.
Old 27th June 2010
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Just as great music has survived some incredibly crappy recordings -- it also can survive good recording, as well.
I think you just found your new autosig - good point.

Sky
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I just think the guy is wanting his recordings to have more in common with older souding recordings, is that so strange? Your post seems to suggest that he wants his music to sound crappy,
maybe Lance's post seems to suggest that because the OP actually SAID he wanted "old and crappy":

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay
Not expensive, just old and crappy.
Or maybe it's because he is choosing TASCAM recorders, which were certainly not part of the 60's sound you assume he is emulating. They came along later, and were relegated to demo studios and rarely used for album production. Where would he have heard these recordings to emulate?

Does he have a private collection of cover band demos from the 70's?

While I was originally sympathetic to the OP, I have to say this quote really hit home for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson
Real engineers and real producers NEVER rolled tape with the intent of making it sound old and crappy.
Even the Demo studio guys were looking to remove as much of the crappiness as possible from their recordings.
Old 28th June 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
maybe Lance's post seems to suggest that because the OP actually SAID he wanted "old and crappy":
I thought that was the type of gear he was looking to use, not desired sound quality. A Behringer mixer is quite clean sounding, but not really crappy sounding, just boring. So by using older, clunker stuff might add something different? But I guess using quality stuff from that era might get you closer to what he's shooting for. But about tape, doesn't seem strange to me to at least record to what those guyse were using back then, right?
Old 28th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Does he have a private collection of cover band demos from the 70's?

Doesn't everyone?!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

so what ever happened here? Did the OP give up on the tascam mixer and 8-track? The last picture he posted had no sign of the two!
Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

Are you still using your tape machine or did you move on to digital land again?
Old 8th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Well said! thumbsup
Old 18th January 2011
Here for the gear

Bow down to the masters of computerless music

"Holy F**k" do the most amazing electronic/rave/rock mixture you´ve heard live without not only computers but samplers or anything like that.
They have the crappiest keyboards but processed with guitar pedals & a lot of attitude!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mt5FcUK-bI
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carayo View Post
"Holy F**k" do the most amazing electronic/rave/rock mixture you´ve heard live without not only computers but samplers or anything like that.
Of course they're making everything without computers cause they make music that's 30-40 years old. Boooring sheeps! The best 40 years old music is the one that was made 40 years ago!
Old 9th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
Haha, it's not really going in the bin. It'll be right down the hall.

I'm still looking for a description on how the Tascam mixers sound. Narrow? Muddy? Cloudy? Thin? Mushy? Any descriptions from anyone?

To be honest, I'm really just trying to go for something different than my computer rig. That's it. Something completely different.

I'd rather have bad flavor than no flavor. I really want to sit down with this rig, record my first song with it, and listen back and think to myself "Wow, this is something I never would have recorded/written/created on my other rig". I want to be inspired by limitations. I want to find change in monotony and the unfamiliar. I simply want to go or be taken somewhere that I could not have gone or been taken to by my Mac Pro and plethora of fancy do-dads lined up in my Logic Pro's plugin folder. I'm really looking for raw, simplistic, bare-bones, lo-fi tones from this thing. I want it to bring out another side of me.

My curiosity and reasons for doing this are the same reasons I buy crappy, dirty, barely-working vintage microphones at flea markets, antique stores, and on eBay. It's the same reason I buy obscure, no-name guitar amps that I know won't sound any good. It's the same reason I've virtually committed to using an oversized, unwieldily 28" kick drum in almost every song I've recorded in the last year. Because, as someone that has been spoiled by accurate, flat, perfect sounds for my entire life, I'm excited by the unpredictable. The engineer I work with most often, Mr. Joe Wohlmuth, often thinks I'm crazy when I tell him I want to run my lead vocal through a tape echo, then through a Super Reverb, then mic'ed up by a ribbon mic pointing off at the corner of the room. But I do it because it's fun, and the reason I find recording music fun is because I can utilize my imagination.

For my next album, I've already started building some contraptions to make microphones move while I'm recording a fixed sound source. I've also bought the hardware used for a lazy susan to build a rotating platform for a guitar cabinet. Most of it will probably sound like ****, but it's going to be a lot of fun.

s yes, I'll have to figure out exactly what I'm going to do about that mix down part.
That is something I am very interested in and have been thinking about doing too.
Creating a true physical phase efftect. Would be interested to know how that turns out..
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
That is something I am very interested in and have been thinking about doing too.
Creating a true physical phase efftect. Would be interested to know how that turns out..
it is called a leslie speaker.

just saw this post and too leazy to read the entire thing but you should call your studio BBQ Beats Microwave
Old 15th April 2011
yeah

yeah -

i was thinking this the other day ... yesterday

we are due up for another
---------------------

... back to acoustic - lose the electric ... ummmm trend.

i think it was early 80's when the last time this happened ...

goes around and comes around ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search