The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Addict

D'Angelo's Voodoo.

Now THAT'S Analog! And 'da bomb.
That gives me analog inspiration.
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Not a lot going on tape-wise over here at the moment. But I did just get a new lens for my camera. Now I can cram more gear into one shot with the wide angle

Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Looks very happy!
I like it.thumbsup
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

You have fantastic taste in guitar pedals.thumbsup

what are those panels in the drum room made out of? Is that foam wrapped in fabric?

The tape machine and the peavey give the studio a nice touch of pinache'! ..........killer.

Bring on the jams!heh

cheers,
steelyfan
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
Not a lot going on tape-wise over here at the moment. But I did just get a new lens for my camera. Now I can cram more gear into one shot with the wide angle

Dude! i love the look of that Elvis Costello Jazzmaster.... Ive wanted one of those for a while...
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
You have fantastic taste in guitar pedals.thumbsup

what are those panels in the drum room made out of? Is that foam wrapped in fabric?

The tape machine and the peavey give the studio a nice touch of pinache'! ..........killer.

Bring on the jams!heh

cheers,
steelyfan
Special fiber glass wrapped in special sound absorption fabric mounted in simple home built wood frames. The bass traps and regular traps are made out of different kinds, since apparently different kinds are good for different things. I'd have to look up exactly what that kind is if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
Dude! i love the look of that Elvis Costello Jazzmaster.... Ive wanted one of those for a while...
Yeah it's such a sexy looking guitar. I love it for clean stuff (especially through the Super Reverb), but for dirtier stuff, I like my American Jazzmaster better. It's a little more angry in the mids whilst the Costello is a little cleaner in the mids/highs. It definitely has a specific sound that's different from a regular Jazzmaster, which is good.
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Also, I just recorded a little video through my new lens of a song. For the recording, I spent 20 or 30 minutes setting up a stereo pair of 414s to room mic me singing and playing acoustic guitar in my dining room (very reverberant). I spent another 20 or 30 minutes doing a touch of EQ and compression. Then when I went to edit the video, the built-in microphone of my Canon 7D sounded better than the stereo 414 setup.....

Either I suck or my camera rocks. Part of the problem was likely that I had to have the 414s pretty far away from me to keep them out of the shot.

I'll post the video when it's done uploading to Vimeo.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I've been using this little vintage Telefunken TD12 dynamic mic that I got on eBay for like 10 bucks. It's made out of plastic and has a 1/4" connector. Super noisy. It sounds really cool on my voice. Super up front mids, slightly mellow highs, and a pretty dramatic bass roll off. Almost the exact type of tone I go for on my voice for a more lo-fi sound (this mic with a slap back echo in Echo Boy sounds perfect).

(Sorry for the out of focus pic, I was too lazy to take my wide angle lens off.)
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah it's such a sexy looking guitar. I love it for clean stuff (especially through the Super Reverb), but for dirtier stuff, I like my American Jazzmaster better. It's a little more angry in the mids whilst the Costello is a little cleaner in the mids/highs. It definitely has a specific sound that's different from a regular Jazzmaster, which is good.
Cool...Jazzmaster has been on my want list for close to 15 years i want to say... HA... Some day, im gonna own one of those guitars....
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Not into the latest computer in the studio .........But, sure we are maybe the only studios ..... that still have to use Floppies for backup We all have Kurzweils and thats their choice of media
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Here's the video of the song I was talking about in my last post:

Rain Cloud by Analog Rebellion (Live Acoustic Performance) on Vimeo

No vimeo embedding on GearSlutz...
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds great.
Old 17th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Hey slutz!

Nice pictures!!

I have some restore time again for my Tascam 38. I changed the pinch roller today and took some photos while I went along. My camera stinks, very old minolta with low res.

I documented my work and have added a section to my web site that will grow with info, hopefully. I invite you to check it out and please let me know your feedback. I want to put up some good information but not be "too" anything, just basic and informative. You can check it out below.

http://www.drpaudio.com/tech_tips/dr..._tips_0001.pdf

A pdf file is more versatile for me to work with, do you think it's okay to post a link directly to the pdf file vs. pics inline?

Any thoughts are welcome.

More soon,
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp audio View Post
Hey slutz!

Nice pictures!!

I have some restore time again for my Tascam 38. I changed the pinch roller today and took some photos while I went along. My camera stinks, very old minolta with low res.

I documented my work and have added a section to my web site that will grow with info, hopefully. I invite you to check it out and please let me know your feedback. I want to put up some good information but not be "too" anything, just basic and informative. You can check it out below.

A pdf file is more versatile for me to work with, do you think it's okay to post a link directly to the pdf file vs. pics inline?

More soon,
Nice! Thanks for making that. I'm going to file this away for when I need it.
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp audio View Post
Hey slutz!

Nice pictures!!

More soon,
Thanks man!
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

Daniel - those images makes me feel claustrophobic! Great song man - I dig your live stuff on Youtube as well. Keep it up!
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Does this sound like tape?

Old 19th January 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Don't know about the digital/analog thing but you are a great talent! Love the song and voice.Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th January 2010
Here for the gear

Hi, I haven't been able to read this whole thread but I read the first couple of pages a while ago and it inspired me to find a tape machine. I had also received the 2 Tape Op books and read them from cover to cover. For a few weeks I was looking online for the perfect one to buy with the little cash I have.
I suddenly remembered that 6 years ago I acquired a wire reel-to-reel machine that was my deceased uncles. I got it in 7th grade and I didn't get into recording until freshman year so the thought of messing around with it didn't hit me.

What I found was even better
I found a Wire recorder and a 1965(ish?) 2-Track Concord 727 Tape Machine.
The Concord goes to 7 1/2 ips (I can live with lower quality. I am all about trying new things) and uses 7" tape.

The wire machine came with a weird sorta microphone with some sort of proprietary plug but the concord came with two dynamc mics.
I had the chance to use the two concord mics this weekend and they sounded great. Really warm and they brought some dull vocals to life.

The wire machine turns on, but whenever I touch any part of it (its all metal) i feel a slight shock, less then sticking a 9V battery on your tounge. Needless to say I am waiting until it is repaired to turn it back on. (If that ever happens)

I'll post a song I have been working on when its more complete.

OK, after that introduction this is the REAL reason I came into this thread to post.
I present to you:
THE DIGI-VINA (digi-vina.com)

What is so amazing about this piece of upcoming hardware (set to release April 3rd) is that it RECYCLES bottles and turns them into blank vinyls and then the machine records any source onto vinyl.

I am going to start saving up to buy either the Digi-Vina 2.0 or the Digi-Vina portable because after recording to tape I LOVE recording my 100% digitally made music on an analog source. dfegad

I found this on the Daily Giz Wiz (I can find the episode # later) which is part of the Twit network.

Anyone want to test the murky waters on recording to home-made vinyl?
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Nut

Texas tape test

Hey PlayRadioPlay,

I read through the entire post and listened to you first offering: Texas tape test.

I read about how you set that one up (reamping your fender reverb with the Shure bullet etc) but I noticed you did not mention using the Teac 5 Mixer.

Have you been able to use it since getting it serviced? Is it worth using?

I was wondering about getting a Tascam M30 mixer and using a sort of hybrid approach...since I'm a bit chicken to totally abandon my DAW(s)!

I also have access to borrow freely an Akai 1/4" 2 channel reel to reel...so I may try playing around with that too.

Thanks for all your posts!

Cheers,

Aaron
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Wow!!! Is that Digi Vina thing for real? It Looks amazing!!! I just looked at the website, but there's no contact............

Does anyone know anything about it?

I'd love to get one..........
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
wow!!! Is that digi vina thing for real? It looks amazing!!! I just looked at the website, but there's no contact............

Does anyone know anything about it?

I'd love to get one..........
ahhhhooooooooooyyeeeeeowwwwwwwwww lol !
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

It's a hoax............

Too much wishful thinking on my part.............

Oh well........
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I don't really get it personally. I'm 45 and have been recording since high school, I don't really care either way, computer recording is cool to me. We've figured out how to get it to sound awesome. For me, I ain't lookin' back.

heh

as Silver Sonya said,

"Nostalgia is a mild form of depression"
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Who cares? Sounds fantastic!

Off topic, but what camera didja use to shoot that with? Great stuff, Daniel... thumbsup
Old 22nd June 2010
Quote:

Hey PlayRadioPlay.....

Great Song, Great Performance, Just Great!!!

As your song played, hearing your chorus part, I thought to myself that I wouldn't be able to do without the best recording equipment and room on earth for capturing your performance, if I was recording this......

But hey, without all that stuff its still great and we can do without it....
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

Finally ..Just got our first computer >> after nearly 30 years in the studio Not sure when we will start introducing it to clients ,,,,but have one loaded with Reaper
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

At the center of the rig will be a TASCAM 38 8 tape machine and a TASCAM Series 5 mixer. I need help deciding on what other gear to get. This project studio isn't supposed to sound good, just old. What are some cheap old mic pres and compressors that were common around the time of these two units? The mixer has built in mic pres, so I could use those, the main thing I need is some compression. Not expensive, just old and crappy.
Hahaha leave it to some 20 year old digital wiz kid to play old school analog with the intent of having it sound old and crappy. I hate to break the news to you son but anybody...and I mean anybody can roll tape and get it to sound old and crappy. Trust me your recordings will sound old and crappy without trying. Now if you're any kind of a musician/produce/engineer the challenge and pleasure will be to make that old gear sound as great as that old gear sounded before digital took over. Honestly I'm not sure if a digital school musician can even make a retro conversion back to analog. I sincerely doubt if you'll have the patience to actually wait while the tape rewinds or fast forwards. And just wait until you have to start editing. Not to mention cleaning head and capstans before each serious roll. Tape is for real engineers and real engineers are a dying breed.

Why not go into it with eyes and ears open and ditch the notion of old and crappy. Real engineers and real producers NEVER rolled tape with the intent of making it sound old and crappy. IMO you have a young and crappy idea of what analog is really all about.
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Great thread. I completely get where you are coming from. My recording partner and I have been using pro-tools to record for quite some time. We are into a lot of lo-fi and "questionable" sounding albums. When recording with the computer we often found the recordings sounds somewhat lifeless and too perfect. The solution? Buy some Pro-sumer grade analog gear. The best way to get a particular sound, is to use the gear that others used to get "that sound". I'm currently looking for a similar set up to what you had originally wanted. I'll probably go with an Otari 1/2" 8 track machine and one of the 80s Tascam 300 serious mixers. I'd like the ability to get some fidelity, but I find the somewhat limited track count, narrow width tape, and associated tape hiss rather appealing.

Others may not understand where you were coming from with this whole thing, but I think I do. I'm 30 and grew up on punk and indie records and no matter what anyone here says, there is and art to lo-fi recording and it has a place in the recording industry. I appreciate great sounding major releases as well, but I find comfort in a recording full of artifacts and imperfections. It feels human and accessible.

On that note, does anyone have and Otari Mx5050 MKIII-8 for sale with some head life left?
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Nut

great song radioplay...

just curious....other than the mics, what was your chain on the vocal? What comps , eq, etc.?

i'm gonna check out your show in Atlanta next month..

i'm also in the process of building a computerless studio!!

cheers.
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
IMO you have a young and crappy idea of what analog is really all about.
I just think the guy is wanting his recordings to have more in common with older souding recordings, is that so strange? Your post seems to suggest that he wants his music to sound crappy, and I believe most folks have understood him to be shooting for a vinatge sound , not a crappy sound.

It doesn't take a professional's ear or aesthetic to understand the difference between a Dave Mathews recording compared to a 60's
sound, and someone young admiring that 60's sound doesn't make them naive or foolish, just seems that he has a preference for HIS material.....an understandable one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search